Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-22, 22:16   Link #1901
mg1942

Looks like Obama's honeymoon is over.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0309/20325.html

He's now getting nagged by the same people who made a cottage industry of bashing G.W. Bush.
Old 2009-03-22, 22:56   Link #1902
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post

He's now getting nagged by the same people who made a cottage industry of bashing G.W. Bush.
Any administration will recieve criticism, for either doing too little or doing too much, its just the name of the game: politics. Actually its been pretty quiet for the current situation but really McCain would also be in the same firestorm, the economy is drain and you have tax payers bailing out FISCALLY unsound economics that banks tried to use to extend their lending powers. Corporate greed and the outrage for this corporate greed is going to draw fingers and with so few targets you just end up pointing at the man incharge. Do I think he's doing a good job? Time will tell, but at this moment he hasn't done anything to stymie the bleeding for the middleclass, the middleclass who was devasted by the subprime mortgage fiasco. The middleclass who carries most of the burdens of the bank bailouts. So yes I'm dissappointed in the president, but it doesn't change the fact that when the country was prospering the former president turned a blind eye to the corporate greed occuring on wallstreet.
Old 2009-03-23, 00:20   Link #1903
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Any administration will recieve criticism, for either doing too little or doing too much, its just the name of the game: politics. Actually its been pretty quiet for the current situation but really McCain would also be in the same firestorm, the economy is drain and you have tax payers bailing out FISCALLY unsound economics that banks tried to use to extend their lending powers. Corporate greed and the outrage for this corporate greed is going to draw fingers and with so few targets you just end up pointing at the man incharge. Do I think he's doing a good job? Time will tell, but at this moment he hasn't done anything to stymie the bleeding for the middleclass, the middleclass who was devasted by the subprime mortgage fiasco. The middleclass who carries most of the burdens of the bank bailouts. So yes I'm dissappointed in the president, but it doesn't change the fact that when the country was prospering the former president turned a blind eye to the corporate greed occuring on wallstreet.
The president is supposed to monitor wallstreet now? How conveniently you forget the changes in the '90s that made that level of fraud possible.
Old 2009-03-23, 00:31   Link #1904
Nosauz

He endorsed it whether it was giving halliburton contracts or not following environmental protocl set by the epa, he turned a blind eye to fda findings. The president can't control wallstreet but his actions toward agencies and what he mandates from them do affect policy on mainstreet and wallstreet.
Old 2009-03-23, 04:02   Link #1905
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

This news been around a week since most people in the UK should know about this.

Quote:
Reality TV star Jade Goody dies

Jade Goody, who has died from cancer at the age of 27, lived her last seven years in the glare of publicity.

link
Old 2009-03-23, 05:36   Link #1906
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post

I pity him. He paid the people to spend and revive the economy, whereas some people just take it for granted and walked off with the money.

More action please Americans. The whole world is watching, and claiming to be crusaders of freedom, America simply can't have a devastated economy. You can't fight idiots like North Korea without money right?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-03-23, 11:08   Link #1907
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
http://www.shadowspear.com/special_o..._kit/1289.html

Multiple news sources have reported that the US Military is deploying "BigDogs" to Afghanistan to assist in the fight against the enemy.
Dubbed "the most advanced quadruped robot on Earth," BigDog is the alpha male of the Boston Dynamics family of robots. It is a quadruped robot that walks, runs, and climbs on rough terrain and carries heavy loads. BigDog is powered by a gasoline engine that drives a hydraulic actuation system. BigDog's legs are articulated like an animal’s, and have compliant elements that absorb shock and recycle energy from one step to the next. BigDog is the size of a large dog or small mule, measuring 1 meter long, 0.7 meters tall and 75 kg weight.
Anyone know when Skynet is coming online?
Old 2009-03-23, 11:20   Link #1908
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post

You have to love US military thinking though,

general A: "Hmm... We need something to transport material in areas our vechicals are having trouble with the terrain."

general B: "Maybe something with legs? About the size of a mule should be good."

general A: "Yeah that should work. Where would we find something like that though?"

general B: "AH! I know! We'll spend millions buying robots!"

general A: "Brilliant!"

mule: " "
Old 2009-03-23, 11:26   Link #1909
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
You have to love US military thinking though,

general A: "Hmm... We need something to transport material in areas our vechicals are having trouble with the terrain."

general B: "Maybe something with legs? About the size of a mule should be good."

general A: "Yeah that should work. Where would we find something like that though?"

general B: "AH! I know! We'll spend millions buying robots!"

general A: "Brilliant!"

mule: " "
maybe if the mules weren't so stubborn, insisting on lunch breaks, apples and that ridicules clause about not being sold to glue and dog food factories once the fighting is over.
Old 2009-03-23, 12:58   Link #1910
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

(GRAPHIC: BBC NEWS)

India launches world's cheapest car
Quote:
India (March 23): The Tata Nano, the world's cheapest car, has been launched in India. Costing just 100,000 rupees (US$1,980), the Nano will now go on sale across the country next month, with deliveries starting in July.

Tata hopes the 3m (10ft) long, five-seater car will be cheap enough to encourage millions of Indians to trade up from their motorcycles. Tata owner Ratan Tata has described the Nano as a "milestone".

"I think we are at the gates of offering a new form of transport to the people of India and later, I hope, other markets elsewhere in the world," he said. "I hope it will provide safe, affordable four-wheel transportation to families who till now have not been able to own a car."

Mr Tata was inspired to build the car after seeing families of four or more crammed onto single motorbikes negotiating the dangerous streets of big cities. Such was his dedication to the project that he would frequently drive test models around the company's plant at Pune in western India. After his jaunts he would suggest adaptations to the vehicle.

To keep the price so low, the four-door car is equipped with a tiny, two-cylinder 624cc engine that produces 33bhp. The basic model has no airbags, radio or power steering. Various "luxuries", such as air conditioning, fog lamps or central locking are available only on pricier models. The range-topping LX even boasts a cup-holder. But for Indians who are used to braving the roads on two wheels, the Nano will count as luxury just the same.

Environmentalists have warned that the Nano will add to India's already clogged-up roads and worsen the country's already appalling pollution levels, but Tata insists that it will be the least polluting car in India.

Analysts said that if the car proves an immediate hit in its home market, the company may struggle to meet demand. This is because the main Nano factory in the western state of Gujarat, which will be able to build 250,000 cars a year, is not due to open until next year. In the meantime, Tata will only be able to build about 50,000 Nanos at its existing plants.

Analysts say it will not make a profit for six years. Even if Tata can sell 250,000 models a year, it will add only 3 per cent to the firm's revenues, says Mr Vaishali Jajoo, a car analyst at Mumbai's Angel Broking.

"That doesn't make a significant difference to the top line," he said. "And for the bottom line, it will take five to six years to break even."

- BBC NEWS, THE ECONOMIST
Old 2009-03-23, 13:38   Link #1911
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Personally, the "windows roll down by hand" had me laughing my ass off.

Potential buyer: "OMFGBBQ!!!! I have to roll down the window *manually*!!!!! (shriek!) the horror!!!"

The no air conditioning would be fine 360 days out of the year where I live... however, I suspect it has about the same survivability "in combat" as a TIE fighter....

A small village or people-friendly town would be perfect for this critter.
Old 2009-03-23, 13:42   Link #1912
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

Potential buyer: "OMFGBBQ!!!! I have to roll down the window *manually*!!!!! (shriek!) the horror!!!"

The no air conditioning would be fine 360 days out of the year where I live... however, I suspect it has about the same survivability "in combat" as a TIE fighter....

this is being sold in India, like the writer this car is already a luxury to people riding bikes, walking 10 miles or riding on a horse drawn cart.
Old 2009-03-23, 16:43   Link #1913
Nosauz

Quote:
this is being sold in India, like the writer this car is already a luxury to people riding bikes, walking 10 miles or riding on a horse drawn cart.
I think hes making fun of the fact that the reaction stateside or where ever cars are prevalent is the fact that you have to role your windows and not that it costs little under 2grand.
Old 2009-03-23, 16:44   Link #1914
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:

Yeah it puzzles me why they're saying it like it's a bad thing. I actually perfer handcranked windows. Less things to go wrong. That's mainly because my parents had a car with power windows that the electric motor in the front drivers side window went out on.
Old 2009-03-23, 17:06   Link #1915
Vinak
Procrastinator

Quote:
wow. just think of the possibilities that technology could pose for prosthetic legs
Old 2009-03-23, 17:26   Link #1916
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:

I always have a disrespect for motor driven windows. It is not prankster or heatproof most of the time, and in the tropical place I live in, sometimes the heat can circuit the window motor, and back in school there is a friend of mine who destroyed a teacher's car by putting superglue in all sorts of places, the worse hit being the window motor and the front hood.

And speaking of cybernetic legs, I wouldn't mind having that kind of transplant so I can recreate a Sakagami girl styled kick.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-03-23, 17:39   Link #1917
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinak View Post
wow. just think of the possibilities that technology could pose for prosthetic legs
Isn't most of the technology the software that controls the legs? If applied to prosthetic, it's more like a four legged wheelchair than a replacement for legs.

Well, the material design that redistributes force is pretty interesting, but they've already been doing that. Last I checked, prosthetic legs designed for running worked better than human legs, and were considered cheating in races.
Old 2009-03-23, 17:54   Link #1918
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinak View Post
like this

Old 2009-03-23, 20:15   Link #1919
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, I was poking fun at the BBC article image that seemed to imply that it was some sort of hardship that the window had to manually cranked (you'll note they have it on equal status with the lack of air bag protection).

If I have a choice, I always opt for manual cranks - much less prone to failure and in a small car you can reach all the windows anyway.

So... sorry if I was unclear -- I'm making fun of the "high tech" article writer --- I think the car itself is a major bit of low-cost coolness.
Old 2009-03-23, 20:52   Link #1920
Vinak
Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Isn't most of the technology the software that controls the legs? If applied to prosthetic, it's more like a four legged wheelchair than a replacement for legs.

Well, the material design that redistributes force is pretty interesting, but they've already been doing that. Last I checked, prosthetic legs designed for running worked better than human legs, and were considered cheating in races.
i was thinking more in line of helping amputee's walk again. the technology can be refined and placed in smaller equipment that fit inside prosthetic legs.
I know a guy with an amputated leg, its not fun watching him struggle to get up and walk into the next room or do any other task that require two legs. man is too damn proud to ask for help.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international