AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-16, 22:04   Link #101
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Well, that's exactly my problem that people use "loli" as synonymous for "young girl".

I've never read it so can you tell me on which page of Nabokov's book the earth is destroyed? Or at least a city? Or are you saying that people are getting off of on children causing mass destruction?

The problem is there is a world out there where words alreaedy have meanings. Where, when you meet an old friend you haven't seen for years and who now has a child, you don't ask "Is it a boy or a loli?" Where, when people hear "lolita" they think "borderline CP" at worst and certainly not "destruction of a city caused by a minor in slapstick comedy".
OK, I would never use "loli" to simply refer to a young girl, or to refer to anything in the real world for that matter. I use "loli" generally to refer to any series or scene that creates either a compromising situation or one that looks compromising involving a girl in the earlier stages of puberty. This includes a broad range of setups, from a highschool senior who still fits in her grade school swimsuit and plays, quotes, and compares life to adult games (LS) to a 10-yr-old who loves to look at well-developed women and question whether the men around her are into that or sway a bit towards her age group(this show).
"Loli" is not just something that can be compared to Lolita. It refers more to the term "lolita-complex", and to any sort of material that either panders to or makes fun of the complex.
Most of what I'd call "loli" is not specifically aimed at turning a child into a sex object(sadly there are things in that area out there too), but rather at poking fun at the potential tensions that can arise around a girl at that age. This is such a show. There's no undergarments(in the anime at least), no real suggestion of any form of major attraction or interest involving these kids. But you can't really deny the suggestiveness of a 10-year-old girl who fixates like Kaoru does on large breasts and butts. This, as I said, isn't something where you'll see a lot of open service or anything. It gives more a sense that something could be there but anyone who tried anything would have every bone in his body broken one at a time while the girls watch and laugh.
Back to the anime. Actually, it looks to me like ep3 is still close to the manga, though a little out of order. Not many anime follow the manga's order exactly. I was similarly inspired to seek out the manga, and unnamed sources provided me with RAWs along with a couple scanlations. So I know at least that some aspects of what seems to be going on in the preview are in keeping with the manga.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 22:17   Link #102
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I think episode two was a bit better. Aaya's Kaoru was more satisfying this episode. Less Konata, which is good. So that minor gripe with the first episode can be cast aside now, I think. I look forward to the rest.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 05:41   Link #103
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Good exposition ep. Maybe ep 1 should've been like that first though.

Somewhat sad that it'll probably be single cour, 13 eps at this rate. I wouldn't mind sticking around like I did with PPGZ. These types of shows just invite episodic content. In a good sense IMO.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 09:08   Link #104
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Somewhat sad that it'll probably be single cour, 13 eps at this rate.
Are you counting manga chapters or where else did you get that information from?
Old 2008-04-17, 11:04   Link #105
Molenir

Hey, just noticed this when rewatching the subbed version to find out what I missed from the raws. At the end of epi 2, when Kaoru is getting CPR, her shirt is open, a second later when waking up, her shirt is buttoned all the way up.

Not a big deal, just thought it was funny more then anything else. Anyone else catch this or other mistakes?
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 12:29   Link #106
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
hmmm.....after watching episode 2, just realised this has more of passing resemblance to "Minority Report" except with animated loli's.

heh.

oh yeah deculture has a subbing error, when Kaoru explained how to stop the problem she said "...then if i give it oxygen, it should stop"

erm.....what?

made me lol.

Old 2008-04-17, 12:40   Link #107
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ too much oxygen is poison?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molenir View Post
Hey, just noticed this when rewatching the subbed version to find out what I missed from the raws. At the end of epi 2, when Kaoru is getting CPR, her shirt is open, a second later when waking up, her shirt is buttoned all the way up.

Not a big deal, just thought it was funny more then anything else. Anyone else catch this or other mistakes?
That was exactly what I thought at first...but then you can count 4 fingers and a thumb. In other words her shirt wasn't open, it was just his other hand.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 12:56   Link #108
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
^ too much oxygen is poison?
well duh. you know if we give oxygen to your brain it will fizz out.
Old 2008-04-17, 14:12   Link #109
Eej
wat
*Fansubber

We've gone over this a few times and according to the TL, that's what she said. The thinking goes that some part of her brain was low in oxygen so she'd give it oxygen to fix everything.

As for your assumption that "oxygen in brain = good", excess amounts of oxygen to your brain (or any tissue, really) will lead to increased formation of reactive oxygen species (ROS), namely superoxide anion (O2-). The body's normal defenses against free radical damage, such as glutathione and superoxide dismutase (which rapidly converts O2- into O2 and H2O2, the latter itself being a ROS and can be converted into HOCL and OH* which are other ROS) are quickly overwhelmed and cell damage/death occurs. Hyperoxia can cause unconsciousness and seizures but it mainly happens to divers. Prolonged breathing of pure oxygen at normal atmospheric pressure can also lead to hyperoxia, I believe.
Eej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 15:03   Link #110
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

oh well, i guess because i read the manga, they translated it to "if i cut the oxygen to my brain, i'll stop, right?" as in cut the oxygen, you will lose conciousness rapidly, a "blackout" as describe by pilots who pull to much Gee-force that restrict oxygen to the brain during fancy flight acrobatics.

but oh well, anime version is different. as long as it make sense.....
Old 2008-04-17, 16:03   Link #111
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Actually, I think it's more likely that she CUT the oxigen to her brain, otherwise the CPR would have been pointless. If you get to much oxiginen, your heart does not stop.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 18:23   Link #112
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

About the oxygen part: It's "If I cut off oxygen to it (brain), it'll stop."
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 21:14   Link #113
jedi423

How much of the manga is scanlated (if anyone has been able to find it and can tell)?
jedi423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 13:37   Link #114
Seiryuu

Yeah, it does sound more like she's saying "if I stop giving oxygen to my brain". Even though an oxygen flood would probably have similar effects, the likelihood of a 10-year-old like her knowing that much about biology is slim, and the likelihood that she'd have a way to cause more oxygen to flow to her brain without increasing pressure and bursting a few vessels is far slimmer. In that condition, it certainly makes far more sense that she tried to stop the flow for a second.
BTW, I looked back on the scene and I don't see any spot where Kaoru's shirt changed. Throughout the whole thing her vest is open, the bow is off and the top button on the shirt is undone to ease any pressure on the throat. For part, you can't see the shirt very well because Minamoto's hand was in the way, but when you see it seems like it's always buttoned to the same spot.
BTW, when I looked back at the first ep, I noticed something about the chief. When he's running for the girls at the end, something inside of me expects him to yell "Grenda-chaaaaaaan!!!". If you don't know what I'm referring to then just go somewhere and look up "petite princess" and you'll see.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 13:56   Link #115
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi423 View Post
How much of the manga is scanlated (if anyone has been able to find it and can tell)?
2 volumes I think. Onemanga has it.

Kaoru made her heart stop obviously because her out of control power would either kill or cripple Minamoto.

The guy had to act like a hero.

Quote:
For part, you can't see the shirt very well because Minamoto's hand was in the way
Lol Too bad they didn't add at the end Kaoru said that she's closer to womanhood because Minamoto pushed her down and and touched her chest.

Aoi freaks out just at the suggestion that Minamoto is a lolicon.

Shiho isn't much of help either. (Actually she compounds it)
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 01:48   Link #116
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Are you counting manga chapters or where else did you get that information from?
I'm not following the manga so it's a pure speculation from me. But with such serious exposition episodes so early on, I'm guessing they're hurrying it up. I hope I'm wrong though.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 04:52   Link #117
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep3:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 07:38   Link #118
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 3
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 14:12   Link #119
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I keep wondering how a show about lolis with super powers can feel so boring and budgety. Episode 02 shows some promise that there is potential for an intriguing theme of power that is both a gift and a curse to the girls, but it felt kind of tacked on and thrown in their at random (most of it to do with Kaoru's flashback) then actually used. The rest of the episode seemed to be about Grrl Power and the only male espers I saw (I think I counted two) were there as foils to the grrl espers. Are the girl espers stronger? Why is it the male ones seem to be so inferior, or is there a reason beyond cheesy comedy? And most of all, where is this series heading in terms of drama versus comedy if anywhere?

I think I'm ready to give this show one more episode to see if it levels up the exposition and character relationship beyond the mundane and cliche before I just take my leave and find something else with a little more depth. The annoying thing is I see the potential for some good internal character conflict with the girls basically thrust into the position of being "treasures" and wishing for a normal life and friends that wouldn't get hurt near them, but I don't know if the production team has the guts, ability or plan to really see out such a sub-plot beyond a casual mention every now and then between all the Absolutely Lovely Children tinged scenarios. Just because it's the title of the series doesn't mean it has to embody it.

Anyway, really slow episode, even for a second episode. I feel I know less about the girls and their handler then I do about any cast of any series I've seen up to this point this season and nobody has managed to click with me yet in this show.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 14:25   Link #120
ReddyRedWolf

Well as for an ongoing dillema you would be asking for, Kaioshin.

Spoiler for Future spoilers:
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
babel, comedy, esper, loli, shounen