Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-10-31, 18:24   Link #301
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Helmets are hot, stuffy, smelly and a breeding ground for diseases since nobody washes anything
The same could be said from picked up stuff, like herbs and meat...
Old 2011-10-31, 20:40   Link #302
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
Rage is crappy on PC.
The developers themselves admitted that it was a mistake optimizing it for consoles and then port it to PC.

They probably wouldn't have done that if more people bought PC games. I don't get why so many people pirate PC games. It isn't like it is a secret that that is kind of killing the PC gaming industry. : -\
Old 2011-10-31, 21:01   Link #303
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
They probably wouldn't have done that if more people bought PC games. I don't get why so many people pirate PC games. It isn't like it is a secret that that is kind of killing the PC gaming industry. : -\
You have entirely missed reality. Yes, it is true that there are more people who buy console games than PC games, but it has nothing to do with piracy.

The majority of the gamers on the planet have never played a PC game, let alone pirated one. A university professor who used Portal 2 as teaching material, found to his surprise that most of his students have no idea how to play the game using a keyboard and mouse.

The barrier for entry into PC gaming is high. Especially with getting the right hardware and keeping it up to date. The fact is most people play consoles, so most of the money is in consoles. To blame piracy is just a flat-out error.
Old 2011-10-31, 21:15   Link #304
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
You have entirely missed reality. Yes, it is true that there are more people who buy console games than PC games, but it has nothing to do with piracy.

The majority of the gamers on the planet have never played a PC game, let alone pirated one. A university professor who used Portal 2 as teaching material, found to his surprise that most of his students have no idea how to play the game using a keyboard and mouse.

The barrier for entry into PC gaming is high. Especially with getting the right hardware and keeping it up to date. The fact is most people play consoles, so most of the money is in consoles. To blame piracy is just a flat-out error.
So it is a popular misconception? Because I've seen several people over the last few years say that piracy is hurting PC gaming. That is where I got the belief that it was. I saw so many people say that, I figured it must be the case.
Old 2011-10-31, 21:51   Link #305
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
So it is a popular misconception? Because I've seen several people over the last few years say that piracy is hurting PC gaming. That is where I got the belief that it was. I saw so many people say that, I figured it must be the case.
As far as compared to console gaming, piracy has no effect. There may have been some sales lost for PC from piracy, but there is just no way for the lost sales to make up the difference compared to the gigantic console market.

The only games that are still mainly played on PC are those that needed a keyboard+mouse. Like Civilization and traditional RTS. Otherwise Console gets more sales no matter what anyone else says.

In short, there just aren't that many PC gamers.

In this very thread, we have people deciding to buy the console version of Skyrim even though they know it is the inferior product, because upgrading the computer is not a simple decision to make. And even for the PC version Bethesada had to lower the hardware requirements as much as they can, to avoid losing sales.
Old 2011-10-31, 22:42   Link #306
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Regardless of piracy, PC game companies with a loyal fanbase still sell games. Hell, I've had a game pirate tell me that he always bought games from Bioware, Blizzard, and Valve because those were his three favourite studios and observed similar behaviour among other pirates.

THey may not have released a game in half a decade and hence been overshadowed by other companies, but I don't believe for a second that ID Software has much trouble selling games on the PC. So I don't think that's an excuse for half-assing a title of Rage's stature. Ditto for Skyrim when it comes out, since the Elder Scrolls franchise has a dedicated following.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 22:51   Link #307
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Regardless of piracy, PC game companies with a loyal fanbase still sell games. Hell, I've had a game pirate tell me that he always bought games from Bioware, Blizzard, and Valve because those were his three favourite studios and observed similar behaviour among other pirates.

THey may not have released a game in half a decade and hence been overshadowed by other companies, but I don't believe for a second that ID Software has much trouble selling games on the PC. So I don't think that's an excuse for half-assing a title of Rage's stature. Ditto for Skyrim when it comes out, since the Elder Scrolls franchise has a dedicated following.
Yet that still doesn't change the fact that there are more console customers than PC customers. The question isn't if it sells or not, but the fact that PC gets drowned out by console products.

And as I say, the issue of PC pirating is really a non-issue when compared to console sales.
Old 2011-10-31, 23:53   Link #308
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

It is funny, back in 2004 or 2005, I bought a PC gaming magazine, and in that issue, there was a parody of sorts; they showed a mag cover of their magazine from 10 years in the future (so, you know, they were just making things up). On this sort of parody cover was a caption that said "Console gaming: How it died off". Or something like that. It is nearly ten years from that issue, and PC gaming is hurting, and console gaming is doing great.
Old 2011-11-01, 01:05   Link #309
Kayin
s c a r l e t
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Kayin
Another problem with the PC industry is the inability to recognize the one thing consoles can't do -

- modding and player created content.

The Elder Scrolls has a huge PC following because of the mod community, and with Bethesda allowing mods with most of their games, they have more people buying PC versions of their games. Sadly, a lot of companies still don't support player created content and are against any player created content because they can't make money off of it and only want to provide overpriced DLCs.

You also forgot to add MMOs to PC gaming. I just don't ever see that working on a console until they add keyboard and mouse support. They'll keep trying with games like DC Universe and the like, but those games just suck with a controller.
Old 2011-11-01, 07:23   Link #310
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
> Implying piracy isn't possible on console gaming . I have HDD full of Wii games, I'm about to JB my PS3 and reset glitch hack my X360 S. The people who want to pirate games will pirate them regardless of platform. Piracy is hurting console gaming equally as it is hurting pc gaming.

As explained it is wrong to blame piracy as there are simply much more console gamers than PC gamers. I think the biggest issue is as was said, that you need to keep up with the HDD. A console will last you for few years until new games move onto new platform, but with PC you have to update it like yearly, and even the first purchase of a gaming PC would get you all three consoles and still some extra money.

There is however, something I don't get. Lets take graphics for example.. To me it looks like Skyrim was more like made for consoles and then ported to PC. Why aren't games made in the opposite way? Make it for PC, and then optimize it for consoles so that PC gamers can get everything out of the game while all console users are stuck with the optimized ones.

Edit : In before the anti-piracy team of AS.. I just pre-ordered my copy of the Skyrim and will be picking it up on the midnight of 11.11. Some games are just really worth of buying

Last edited by Dist; 2011-11-01 at 19:09.
Dist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 08:07   Link #311
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
There is however, something I don't get. Lets take graphics for example.. To me it looks like Skyrim was more like made for consoles and then ported to PC. Why aren't games made in the opposite way? Make it for PC, and then optimize it for consoles so that PC gamers can get everything out of the game while all console users are stuck with the optimized ones.
It makes sense to start with the weakest platform because then you can guarantee that everyone gets the full game. If you go the other way, there is a very real danger you could reach hardware restrictions that forces you to remove features that were important, and as such crazy rebalancing them had to happen and waste time.

They made it clear that Xbox360 is the easiest of the platforms to code for. They just had to make sure Skyrim runs on 360, then just up the graphics setting for the others and change the control scheme for keyboard and mouse for PC.

Consoles need optimization for everything because really, it is all about compromises. PC games are more flexible so if they need to change things there, they can.

By the way, ALL the current footage of the game are from the 360. No one has seen the PC graphics yet.
Old 2011-11-01, 18:18   Link #312
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Mods are the main reason I'm not sure I'll be buying at release. As much as I love the Elder Scroll games, it's a love that came to be due to the vast improvements one can do via modding, as the vanilla games themselves are mostly piles of poo.

Maybe I'll wait a month or two for the initial flood of mods to come out, and the game has come down $10-20 in price.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 19:08   Link #313
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
^20 bucks down in price in two months? In Elder Scrolls series? Are you serious? That ain't happening.

I'm worried about the bugs at release too but the suspension is killing me .. I can not wait any longer for the game. (That, and I've been bored to death lately so this will help me some..). The game has so many new features, and the graphics are great .. even for 360, so I can only imagine how they will look on Ultra settings <3. I wish they had used new engine though.. some of the animation is just .. blergh. Anyway, point is, with all the new stuff Skyrim has offer, if the game has no bugs that cause crashes or anything critical like that (Like in New Vegas -_-), it'll be playable and I can just add mods as they come.
Old 2011-11-01, 19:47   Link #314
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

lemme guess, you want mods for GUNS?

seriously why the heck are you going to wait for mods if you dont even know what's in the game?
You may also get a better discount on Steam, dunno if they're selling there though.
Old 2011-11-02, 04:10   Link #315
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
The Xbox version leaked yesterday, would've reported in yesterday but I was going out.
Pretty much someone started streaming, the first gameplay leak showed the first mission up till the end of it when you actually get open world. This bloke went further.
I must say I was impressed, the music was amazing and the score will be 4cd's for anyone who doesn't know yet.

Spoiler for content:

The rest of the day /v/ was in glory over this game and during the night the trolls came out spewing about that the graphics were bad; I didn't believe it because it was an Xbox ported version. And besides /v/ hates videogames.
It was a good day though.

edit;

I just had to add this, I just had to because this news to me is the best news I've heard so far today.

Spoiler for for previously denied subject in game:
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 05:47   Link #316
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

MY HEAD JUST EXPLODED! F YeA!
Old 2011-11-02, 08:32   Link #317
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

IS DAT JACOB!!?
Daaamn, fallout 4 will be the best game ever with that engine.

Anyway, hope combat is good now, instead of just blocking, mashing attacks and casually using spells...
Old 2011-11-02, 08:44   Link #318
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

If we can get to transform into a werewolf, I am naming my character Rigardo.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 14:04   Link #319
killer3000ad

Oh those Bethsoft trolling the community. I remember when Bethsoft said there weren't werewolves in the game, the official forums were up in arms with much fan rage. Pretty sure if the screenshots are real the rage has just about turned to wank.
Old 2011-11-02, 15:02   Link #320
Aqua Knight

Any link for that leaked footage?

Tags
bethesda, elder scrolls, rpg, skyrim