AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-03, 08:39   Link #21
TeaBag

after watching all them stages i feel like staging a coup ! get it im "staging" it HOHHOHOHOH! Sorry can't talk im running in the 90's...
Old 2004-05-03, 08:40   Link #22
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Roman Helmet
I would'nt recommend buying the Tokyo Pop dvds. I usually am against downloading licenced anime, but in this case, TP edited the episodes of Initial D. I am really against this. Also, in the english dub they completely changed the music. IMO, the music was amazing as it was, there was no reason to change it at all. I would recommend looking for HK bootlegs, or downloads, but as this forum doesn't allow talk of where to find that kind of stuff, I won't give any links.
they have multiple versions on the Tokyopop dvds i've heard
Old 2004-05-03, 08:41   Link #23
Teh Roman Helmet
Anime-Blitz encoder

Send a message via AIM to Teh Roman Helmet
even still, the unedited dvds are still edited from what i hear. so there. don't buy those dvds!
Old 2004-05-03, 08:43   Link #24
Teh Roman Helmet
Anime-Blitz encoder

Send a message via AIM to Teh Roman Helmet
Tokyo Pop edited Initial D

I was just wondering if anybody knows exactly what TP edited out of Initial D. I just know that I won't watch their version becuase I don't like watching edited anime. It goes against what the creator wanted fot his show.
Old 2004-05-03, 08:44   Link #25
Kyuven

they basically changed the music and names
Old 2004-05-03, 08:45   Link #26
Kyuven

yes, they have the EDITED audiotrack and the UNEDITED audiotrack on them
Old 2004-05-03, 09:48   Link #27
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
The subtitled version is unaltered.

The dubbed version is a mangling worthy of DiC and 4kids.

Yet they're on the same DVD, so you get different video depending on the language track.
Old 2004-05-03, 11:58   Link #28
Suikun

Tokyopop technically didn't edit anything for content in the English version, they just localized it by changing the names and music, and - as with nearly every English dub - rewrote the scripts to make it more... American. Also, I heard Tokyopop did a few things to "snazz up" the CGI racing scenes - like splitting the screen four ways, inverting colors, adding fancy transitions, etc. You know, to give it that "MTV" style to cater towards those who have ADD (See? Isn't Tokyopop nice?).

Just watch the subtitled version on the same disc - if you're looking for faithfulness to the original, that should always be your choice anyway.

My only confusion comes from the reports I've heard of people saying that Tokyopop edited the translations for the subtitles. I've heard one example used over and over, though. A line that's supposed to be something like "I've seen you naked before" or something was changed to "I've seen you in a bathing suit before"... or something. I've never seen Initial D, so I don't know what the line was supposed to be nor do I know what Tokyopop changed it to, nor do I know if this type of editing happens more than just that time. Lots of people complained about that one line yet made it sound like Tokyopop did this type of thing multiple time throughout the anime, so I don't know which is the case. If it was just that one line, then no big deal - mistakes happen. But if they did this all throughout the anime then you might as well go R2 shopping.
Old 2004-05-03, 12:13   Link #29
anthonyxscotland
Highlander

Hang on, outwith Dic and 4kids, what other american companies have altered things in the dub to localise it? Okay Initial D yes, but name me others?
Old 2004-05-03, 12:32   Link #30
Fronzel
Schmuck

Well, I hear the Love Hina dub tones down the sexuality.
Old 2004-05-03, 12:43   Link #31
Kyuven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzel
Well, I hear the Love Hina dub tones down the sexuality.
no way, the actors just suck
Old 2004-05-03, 18:47   Link #32
husyk
Stupid Flanders! (Homer)

Send a message via MSN to husyk Send a message via Yahoo to husyk
How many Stages will there be in total for Initial D? So far I saw 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Extra, and Battle. Although Battle is just battles from the 3 stages. I guess I'll go and start watching whatever is available for 4th Stage at the moment. Good anime so far, weak story, but good racing.
Old 2004-05-03, 20:58   Link #33
Suikun

All English dubs contain localization through the writing in some way or another - either they add American pop culture refrences, add American slang, rewrite certain things to exclude a Japanese cultural thing and/or add an American one, etc. but if you mean by localization, changing music and names, then... oh let's see... Saban is the only distributor that comes to mind immediately - they were responsible for the first two seasons of Dragon Ball Z, Mon Colle Knights, Samurai Pizza Cats, the first three seasons of Digimon, and countless others.

Miramax, who dubbed Sonny Pig and released it as Tokyo Pig, did a full scale replacement of music and stuff in that. Shogakuken Productions (ShoPro) is, evidently, responsible for the English Inuyasha dub (Viz is just the distributor... although they have heavy ties with ShoPro, so...) and that didn't have replaced music or anything, but another more recent show that ShoPro dubbed into English, Rockman EXE or Mega Man NT Warrior, does contain those changes.

I know there are plenty more I can't think of at the moment - mostly children's series. Oh, obviously, there's Nelvana - the ones responsible for dubbing Cardcaptor Sakura and Beyblade/Beyblade V-Force... oh and Medabots (Medarots) too.

Oh, and how could I forget - Manga likes to replace music and change names as well in many of their titles. Not all, obviously - End of Evangelion and Death and Rebirth as well as Ghost in the Shell and Perfect Blue weren't done this way; but a lot of their other dubs were.... otherwise...
Old 2004-05-04, 09:17   Link #34
anthonyxscotland
Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suikun
All English dubs contain localization through the writing in some way or another - either they add American pop culture refrences, add American slang, rewrite certain things to exclude a Japanese cultural thing and/or add an American one, etc. but if you mean by localization, changing music and names, then... oh let's see... Saban is the only distributor that comes to mind immediately - they were responsible for the first two seasons of Dragon Ball Z, Mon Colle Knights, Samurai Pizza Cats, the first three seasons of Digimon, and countless others.

Miramax, who dubbed Sonny Pig and released it as Tokyo Pig, did a full scale replacement of music and stuff in that. Shogakuken Productions (ShoPro) is, evidently, responsible for the English Inuyasha dub (Viz is just the distributor... although they have heavy ties with ShoPro, so...) and that didn't have replaced music or anything, but another more recent show that ShoPro dubbed into English, Rockman EXE or Mega Man NT Warrior, does contain those changes.

I know there are plenty more I can't think of at the moment - mostly children's series. Oh, obviously, there's Nelvana - the ones responsible for dubbing Cardcaptor Sakura and Beyblade/Beyblade V-Force... oh and Medabots (Medarots) too.

Oh, and how could I forget - Manga likes to replace music and change names as well in many of their titles. Not all, obviously - End of Evangelion and Death and Rebirth as well as Ghost in the Shell and Perfect Blue weren't done this way; but a lot of their other dubs were.... otherwise...

Well. there we have it. Kids anime and OLD titles from combaies..... So much for every title released in america being altered. Im looking up at my dvd collection and i can count on 1 hand the amount of titles that have "americanised" over the Japanese.

And CCS got a UNCUT subtitled release, so there is no point in trying to use that. Tokyo Pig i thought was 4kids, though i maybe wrong.
Old 2004-05-05, 04:22   Link #35
Megane
Sleepy Head

Send a message via AIM to Megane Send a message via MSN to Megane
It's true that Tokyopop included two versions of Initial D on their DVDs (thus sneakily letting them double the running time they can put on the box), but it's a little more complicated than that. Slip the DVD in and it asks you to choose between the "Classic" (Japanese dub, English subtitles, original art/CG, original music) and "Tricked Out" (English dub with changed names, no subtitles, extra CG effects during the racing scenes, new opening theme) versions. You can also "Customise your ride" (God I hate these terms), and choose which audio, subtitle and video layer you want to watch.

The idea of a Japanese dub, subtitles and a new video layer was interesting, but the new effects just make it look like someone was terribly bored and wanted to try out all these video filters they'd never used before...

Classic all the way!
Old 2004-05-05, 22:45   Link #36
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
NOOO trhe music is the best part >.< dude who can change that????
Old 2004-05-06, 03:55   Link #37
anthonyxscotland
Highlander

They did, and turned round and said "Well ours sounds better anyway" on animeondvd.com forums. Nice of them really.
Old 2004-05-06, 04:07   Link #38
bluemist
i am the mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megane
It's true that Tokyopop included two versions of Initial D on their DVDs (thus sneakily letting them double the running time they can put on the box), but it's a little more complicated than that. Slip the DVD in and it asks you to choose between the "Classic" (Japanese dub, English subtitles, original art/CG, original music) and "Tricked Out" (English dub with changed names, no subtitles, extra CG effects during the racing scenes, new opening theme) versions. You can also "Customise your ride" (God I hate these terms), and choose which audio, subtitle and video layer you want to watch.

The idea of a Japanese dub, subtitles and a new video layer was interesting, but the new effects just make it look like someone was terribly bored and wanted to try out all these video filters they'd never used before...

Classic all the way!
Well your 'customization' is a new way of watching Initial D, especially when you have seen the original video dozens of times already.

But the entirely 'customized' Tricked Out version is one of the most radical modifications I have ever seen. I really hate the new music, even if you say it's Americanized for 2 Fast 2 Furious fans it still doesn't match. Think Tokyo Mew Mew -> Hollywood Mew Mew.

"Initialiiiiiiiiiiize! Customiiiiiiiiiiize! Energiiiiiiiiiiize! Initialiiiiiiiiiiiize!"
The Tricked Out OP is SO BAD IT'S GOOD!
Old 2004-05-06, 08:22   Link #39
Suikun

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyxscotland
Well. there we have it. Kids anime and OLD titles from combaies..... So much for every title released in america being altered. Im looking up at my dvd collection and i can count on 1 hand the amount of titles that have "americanised" over the Japanese.

And CCS got a UNCUT subtitled release, so there is no point in trying to use that. Tokyo Pig i thought was 4kids, though i maybe wrong.
When did I say that every title in America was altered in this way? I didn't. I said that nearly all English dubs contain localization and thus, in general, aren't the way to go if you want something faithful to the original. But localization doesn't always mean that they cut or fused episodes, changed names, or replaced music - it means anything that was changed in an attempt to make it more acceptable / enjoyable for the English speaking audience - i.e., dialogue and cultural refrences. And, yes, nearly every single English dub contains them - hence the reason I recommend that anyone who cares about faithfulness to the original just watch the subtitled version by default.

I don't have any problems with English dubs - I watch them all the time myself, and I don't care if everyone else in the world watches English dubs exclusively over the original version. I don't, however, think people should ever watch English dubs and expect faithfulness to the original, or, mostly, I can't stand it when people watch an English dub and then complain becuase it wasn't faithful enough to the original or because "the original was better" - there will always be changes in the translation from Japanese to English, and it's damn near impossible to keep the scripts, dialogue, and cultural refrences fully intact while lip-syncing, choosing the proper voice actors, and the other things that go into an English dub. When you watch an English dub, you should always be accepting of any types of localization done and should expect to see nothing less than a foreign interpretation of Japanese work. When you want something faithful to the original, just watch the original. Simple as that. Again, don't take this as dub bashing - it's not. I love English dubs, I just think it's ludicrous to ever watch them and expect true faithfulness to the original when 99% of the time you could just be watching the original.

Also, I think I specifically stated that very few titles now have a fullscale replacement of music and changing of names and stuff - and yes, it is all children's series and older stuff, as well. I never said otherwise; I didn't mean to make too big a deal of this in my reply, but I can't stand it when people put words into my mouth.
Old 2004-05-25, 15:03   Link #40
Slugge

Initial D

Well here it goes... is initial d second stage a new story then the first stage or ?? cause if not i might just watch that and not the others?
Closed Thread