AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-11-17, 10:10   Link #2101
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
And my god Kurapika. . . his/her development these past few episodes . . . the emotions that he/she's been going through is just so masterfully done.
Kurapika is a guy. I am certain of it.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 00:57   Link #2102
deep_freesze
OverLord

yep kurapika is a guy...... if not why would gon and the others use "He" towards Kurapika............
http://forums.animesuki.com/group.php?groupid=866 By the way can some of you join this hunter x hunter 2011 group i created ........I'm not forcing you....but I'm sure if there was ever a hunter x hunter group
Old 2012-11-18, 01:08   Link #2103
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Interesting turn of events. I'm greatly surprised at the level of intelligence from the antagonists(Chrollo) here. The way he pieced all the information was very unusual for an antagonist. Even though he's pretty strong, he doesn't take any chances with himself, or the rest of the Spiders by having everyone travel in groups of 3. When he had Shizuku and Machi use Gyo while slowly advancing toward his enemies, given his strength, it really makes me see how much better HxH is over typical shounen series. Not to mention how he tried to honestly answer Gon's question as to why he kills others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post
As for who Kurapika can use the Chain Jail on, he wasn't entirely sure that Uvogin was a spider until he successfully used it on him. The way the scene played out, it looked like he was mostly sure, and was prepared to die on the off-chance that he was mistaken... Not dying was the unequivocal proof.

So, yeah, I also wonder what will happen if he uses it on Hisoka... There are two possibilities:
1. Hisoka is a member of the troupe, but a "fake" one because he is not loyal to Chrollo. The Chain Jail should work in this case.
2. There was another Hisoka before the current one arrived, and fake!Hisoka murdered real!Hisoka and took his place. In this case, the Chain Jail should kill Kurapika.

Or maybe more.
Hisoka is NOT a member of the troupe. Not only because of the 'fake' 4th moon line, but also notable through the synopsis of the movie, where the real 4th Spider will make his appearance. And since the only way to replace a number is to kill the present number, Hisoka is not a Spider.

Also, Kurapika won't use the Chain Jail on Hisoka, simply because he was not a Spider during the Kurata clan's massacre. I wouldn't imagine he'd fight Hisoka at all, unless Hisoka tried to fight him. And I'd doubt Hisoka would, since he's already stated that fighting Kurapika has no interest to him right now.

Last edited by frubam; 2012-11-18 at 01:20.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 01:18   Link #2104
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Hisoka is NOT a member of the troupe. Not only because of the 'fake' 4th moon line, but also notable through the synopsis of the movie, where the real 4th Spider will make his appearance. And since the only way to replace a number is to kill the present number, Hisoka is not a Spider.
The movie "Phantom rouge" will having it's own original story and non canon. It was originally a manuscript written by togashi but he eventually scrapped it.
Vladrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 03:00   Link #2105
Squarecrow
Supreme Ruler of Crowatia

Hisoka is recognized by the boss as a Spider, the only way I could see him not being a Spider is if it's really someone using Nen to impersonate the clown. That doesn't seem to be the case as the clown has acted exactly the same whether or not he was around the Troupe. Even his inner horny thoughts are the same.

I don't think the fake tattoo means anything. Maybe Hisoka is Jewish.
Squarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 03:24   Link #2106
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

I like the new episode, he dog guy didn't sell out Kura at the end, or maybe he would of, if he was still alive. LOL

Nice head bumping on the car animation. Them Japanese kids are learning what lying can happen, so be good kids :>
Old 2012-11-18, 04:55   Link #2107
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

Damn another awesome episode. Squala's death is pretty gruesome.
It seems there will be no new episode next week. What a bummer.
Vladrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 07:02   Link #2108
Pacify

God its getting harder and harder to resist not reading/watching ahead!

Originally didnt think I'd like HxH, but the combination of how bizarrely awesome Hisoka is plus this current arc has made me glad i finally got around to watching it
Pacify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 08:12   Link #2109
ookamigirl

Killua & Melody shadowing the Phantom Troupe.
The weather conditions and the traffic jam weren't helpful either.
Those guys are not easily fooled.
Kurapika was barely keeping himself in check when they got closer.
He's lucky Gon reasoned with him.
The phantom troupe managed to find out Kurapika's appearance.
That's just bad and very dangerous since it renders his one-on-one fight plan useless.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 08:50   Link #2110
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacify View Post
God its getting harder and harder to resist not reading/watching ahead!

Originally didnt think I'd like HxH, but the combination of how bizarrely awesome Hisoka is plus this current arc has made me glad i finally got around to watching it
This is the arc that really sold H x H for me.

Actually the moment Kurapika became the main chara it became good for me. He didn't stand out to me till this arc and now he is my favorite character.

Too bad Gon is an MC -_-

Once arks start to focus on him, I start to lose my interest. He is just that boring and frustrating.

This arc is probably the only one where I don't have many issues with him.
Old 2012-11-18, 09:08   Link #2111
SinsI

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_freesze View Post
yep kurapika is a guy...... if not why would gon and the others use "He" towards Kurapika............
That's only in English, due to language limitation, as it doesn't have gender ambigous pronouns .
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 11:48   Link #2112
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well sucks for Squala. You knew he was dead from pretty early on in this one. I mean make him start looking for another job, show off his girlfriend some more, etc. I give him props for staying quiet even though it didn't really help. Got his dogs out of there because he knew he was dead anyways. Took care of what he could.

Of course now ready for Nobunaga to get killed. Have had enough of that guy.
Old 2012-11-18, 12:41   Link #2113
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
This is the arc that really sold H x H for me.

Too bad Gon is an MC -_-

This arc is probably the only one where I don't have many issues with him.
I think Gon is an interesting character because Togashi writes him as a boy growing into a man. We saw a bit of this development in Heavens Arena. Gon is a boy raised by women, thus, he is kind but slightly effeminate in his behaviors at the beginning of the series. Complete innocence. But after being violated by Hisoka, how does he respond?

This look alone speaks volumes. Remember his demeanor in the beginning of the series? Could you have imagined how much he would change from then until this moment?

Of course, this development continues throughout the rest of Gon's arcs. It's coming-of-age. It's puberty. It's masculinity. In essence, Gon's story is one that seems to have been somewhat lost as Shonen started to morph with trends and new ideals and protagonists became tortured, misunderstood souls after Evangelion's success.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 13:26   Link #2114
kitten320

Maybe but the main issue I have with Gon starts way back when his fight with Danzo happened.

The guys is simply too stupid and stubborn. What is meant to be admirable becomes a frustrating eyesore because he takes all of it to extreme levels and crosses the line between bravery and idiocy.

As I said back then if Danzo was a cruel person, all he needed to do was to:
a) Kill him and try again next year, with his skills it would not be a problem and Gon would be dead what mean his goals are over.
b) Break every bone in his body. There is no way they would heal and function properly later what means Gon would be disabled and reaching his goals would be almost impossible.

Gon basically dug his own grave.

Danzo was kind enough to give up and let him be but no! Gon had to force him to fight in some other manner. It might sound fair to compete in something that they both can do but... he knew what was coming when he applied for the test. It's his fault for not being strong enough and demanding for others to lower to his level is disgraceful especially when they surrendered when they are clearly superior.

Worst thing, is that no matter how self centered, egoistic and dumb he gets, Gon never has to pay the price. Everything always goes smoothly for him. I'm not gonna say any more since this anime version did not cover the material yet.
But there is this one more scene where I really wanted to slaughter him.

Kurapika was a bit of egoist this week too. Because of his actions Gon and Killua got captured again but what makes Kurapika look good are:
a) He was very emotional for obvious reasons, his whole clan was slaughtered, I'm sure it is hard to control yourself.
b) He admitted his fault.
c) Kurapika actually pays for his faults in one way or another.

Gon barely ever admits his faults nor does he ever pay for his self centered idiocy.
In real world he would be dead long time ago.

EDIT: Lol some Gon fanatic and Kurapika hater got butt hurt
Sorry, but Kurapika never got as lucky as Gong and the reason is...
Spoiler for safety:

Enough said^^
Seriously, Kurapika never got even half close to such luckiness.
And at least Kurapika learns from his mistakes, Gon never dose.

Last edited by kitten320; 2012-11-18 at 17:34.
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 13:37   Link #2115
Clarste
Human

I've heard that argument before, but it's not really about cruelty/kindness so much as it is about pure stupidity. IE: Ninja-guy would have to be stupid to kill him. They're all professionals there, and they all desperately want that license. There is literally no reason for him to continue torturing someone who will never submit. Gon abused a loophole in the rules, no more and no less.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 17:18   Link #2116
kitten320

Hisoka had to re-take exam several times because of his cruelty.
I lost count of how many backstabbers are there.

Gon simply got lucky that Danzo was nice. He himself said that he could easily re-take the test next year and kill Gon now.
Old 2012-11-18, 17:30   Link #2117
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Hisoka had to re-take exam several times because of his cruelty.
I lost count of how many backstabbers are there.

Gon simply got lucky that Danzo was nice. He himself said that he could easily re-take the test next year and kill Gon now.
Only Hisoka and the newbie slayer don't care about the license. Out of 400 candidates, exactly 2 don't care about winning. People love to backstab when it benefits them in some way. It would not benefit ninja-guy one tiny bit for him to intentionally disqualify himself. Basically you're assuming he's a psychopath who'd rather have the pleasure (?) of killing a little kid than get the thing he needs to do his job. There can't be many of those.

Just think about it from Danzo's perspective. Why the hell would he want to kill him? What does he get from it? The answer is nothing. Absolutely nothing. He loses the exam and gets nothing. This is not a risky gamble. It's one of the safest bets ever made.
Old 2012-11-18, 17:40   Link #2118
kitten320

Be it, but did Gon stop at that?

Nope, he demanded for Danzo to lower to his level despite already being a winner.
He is selfish.

Besides if it was not Gon but someone else, Danzo would keep breaking bones. He could easily break few more bones and give up then.
What it would achieve? Final goal wise nothing but at least Gon would feel actual consequences of being an idiot.

Anyway the real thing that bugged me off was not yet aired so I'll stop here.
Old 2012-11-18, 18:15   Link #2119
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Be it, but did Gon stop at that?

Nope, he demanded for Danzo to lower to his level despite already being a winner.
He is selfish.
Well, yeah, that part was just showing his childishness again. Which is why Danzo got annoyed and knocked him out with a punch.

Quote:
He could easily break few more bones and give up then.
What it would achieve? Final goal wise nothing but at least Gon would feel actual consequences of being an idiot.

Anyway the real thing that bugged me off was not yet aired so I'll stop here.
Once again, you're assuming he's a sadist. He has no reason to hurt Gon. Torture is just a means to an end, and Gon proved basically immune to pain and intimidation, so it was pointless. Sounds to me like you just wanted to see Gon suffer. Aren't you the only sadist in this picture?
Old 2012-11-19, 05:01   Link #2120
fanty
STARVING ARTIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Once again, you're assuming he's a sadist. He has no reason to hurt Gon. Torture is just a means to an end, and Gon proved basically immune to pain and intimidation, so it was pointless. Sounds to me like you just wanted to see Gon suffer. Aren't you the only sadist in this picture?
The thing is, Hanzo could have been a sadist. He could have been someone who'd break all of Gon's bones just for the lulz. In this kind of scenario, Gon would have properly faced the consequences of his decision to not give up no matter what. And that's the point, people want characters facing the consequences of being the way they are and making the choices they make.

The only thing one can say in defence of HxH here, is that if one wants a story where the protagonist does not constantly get bailed out by the author, then shounen is not the place to go. Battle shounen protagonists always get bailed out and never face the consequences. If you want to watch a shounen show, then you simply have to accept that, or you'll spend your time hating the protagonist.

Last edited by fanty; 2012-11-19 at 14:01.
fanty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen