AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-11-10, 18:50   Link #181
Midonin
Last Engage

I think there might have been a serious/flashback episode like Hiro's before - the Natsume origins episode. So much of the show's more dramatic material (and just as much of its fluffy softness) revolves around this trio. Yuno's meeting with Arisawa back in ☆☆☆ also comes to mind. While it's not ground the show treads very often, when it does, it handles it well.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-12, 22:56   Link #182
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Also: I don't recall Shaft being this "Shaft'y" on previous seasons of the show:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

That neck. How do they do it?
It's called SHAFT signature.
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-12, 23:01   Link #183
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

I just watched 5 episodes and I liked
Old 2012-11-16, 11:32   Link #184
Midonin
Last Engage

Hidamari x Honeycomb 07 - The Local Stage, the College Stage, the World Stage

While this episode returns us to Yuno as the focus, in some ways, it feels like a continuation of Hiro's story from last week. Ruminations on what it means to be an artist and where the future leads. Yuno's character development has been kind of slow and subtle (it's been spread out over so many episodes, after all), but this episode above all shows that she has definitely become more defined as a person since the first episode of the first season. Her determination to create art under pressure was pretty inspiring, and it was a real treat seeing Arisawa again. As Yuno herself pointed out, graduation doesn't mean the end of things, and in Hidamari, probably won't. Even when the day comes that Sae and Hiro leave, I don't think they'll stop being major characters. It may even mean a chance for more artsy downtown scenes like the ones this episode gave us - it looked Shafty, and beautiful.

Also, Miya must be incredible if she can render a 3D image in paint. The beats of this show are all too familiar by now, but the content keeps changing and moving forward. Another school festival comes, and will go, but for Yuno, this is simply another step forward. But she'll always be the same determined, kinda shy, reflective Yuno that we've known from the beginning, at heart.
Old 2012-11-16, 14:01   Link #185
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Also, Miya must be incredible if she can render a 3D image in paint.
Miyako is highly creative, so I can't say I'm surprised. I also thought she was the one with the highest innate talent for the arts, but I could be mistaken.

Yuno's way to art stardom has begun. Loved how her dad freaked out, while her mom stayed totally cool.
Old 2012-11-18, 14:56   Link #186
Dop
Mmmm....

I loved the 3D bit, but then I've always liked Miyako's creative spirit!

There's definitely a sad-tinged edge to the series as we approach Sae and Hiro's inevitable graduation, although bolstered in the sequence with Arisa(wa) showing that graduation need not mean an end to friendship as long as people stay in touch.

It's the wonderful moments like that which are one of the reasons I love this show so much.
Dop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 17:02   Link #187
Seihai
スマイリウム

Is it just me or are background characters (school/classmates) drawn out more frequently in this season? I can't remember how it was in the previous seasons but I feel like that aspect might have improved, not sure.
Old 2012-11-18, 18:39   Link #188
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
Is it just me or are background characters (school/classmates) drawn out more frequently in this season? I can't remember how it was in the previous seasons but I feel like that aspect might have improved, not sure.
It might be a product of SHAFT having more money to throw around on little details like that.
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 17:39   Link #189
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
I think part of it can be contributed to the fact that Mami and Nakayama do start to get a little bit more screen time in the manga (although I kinda wish that SHAFT had animated either those stories where at least one of those two have a more prominent role than Yuno and Miyako's fellow residents at the Hidamari Apartments or the one where
Spoiler for manga:
Old 2012-11-20, 14:07   Link #190
maximilianjenus
[E]

damn, I just looked at the spoiler, now you completely ruined the anime for me as I know that that will happen !

just kidding, was just gonna ask who is mami ?

Also I am now set on the idea that the end of this season will be sae and hiro's graduation, good thing we have the day to day format, so we can always have "flashback" episodes in which they are back.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-20, 15:15   Link #191
nojay
Scanlator

It's interesting to look at some of the "extra" animation going on, most noticeably for me at least in episode 7. Continuity isn't all there though -- at the beginning of the School Store scene (approx 5:30) we see a man in a brown shirt and brown hair standing to the left of Hiro at the shelves. In the next high-angle shot he's been replaced by someone in a white shirt and grey hair.

And what's with that brown-haired girl in the same scene who walks through the shelves to the drinks display, picks up a bottle and walks back out of shot? Is this another foreshadowed character like Nazuna and Nori's appearance in x365?

That's not to say they've gone totally wild animating new characters -- in the preceding scene as lunchtime approaches we see five girls including Yunocchi and Miyako finishing up. Two of the other girls are animated if in a somewhat limited manner but the one at the back left is frozen solid. Maybe the budget didn't stretch *quite* that far.
Old 2012-11-20, 16:51   Link #192
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
damn, I just looked at the spoiler, now you completely ruined the anime for me as I know that that will happen !

just kidding, was just gonna ask who is mami ?
Mami is the other classmate of Yuno and Miyako (she's the one with the pigtail on her left side).

Quote:
Also I am now set on the idea that the end of this season will be sae and hiro's graduation, good thing we have the day to day format, so we can always have "flashback" episodes in which they are back.
This itself leads to my main problem with this season of Hidamari Sketch: it feels as if SHAFT is rushing to the eventual graduation of Sae and Hiro as if this is going to be the show's final season. It bothers me because as someone who's been actually been reading the manga, there's actually a whole bunch of exciting storylines between the senior year class trip and the tsunami storyline that I would have loved to seen animated. Hence, with the season skipping over the summer months in favor of rushing towards Sae and Hiro's graduation, as well as this season dropping the "out of order" episode line-up that was common in the first two seasons (and allowed for SHAFT to finish off the "pre-Nori and Nazuna" stories even after they are officially introduced to the show), it feels as if SHAFT is pretty much skipping over some exciting stories just to rush to an "anime ending" for the series.
Old 2012-11-20, 19:41   Link #193
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
This itself leads to my main problem with this season of Hidamari Sketch: it feels as if SHAFT is rushing to the eventual graduation of Sae and Hiro as if this is going to be the show's final season. It bothers me because as someone who's been actually been reading the manga, there's actually a whole bunch of exciting storylines between the senior year class trip and the tsunami storyline that I would have loved to seen animated. Hence, with the season skipping over the summer months in favor of rushing towards Sae and Hiro's graduation, as well as this season dropping the "out of order" episode line-up that was common in the first two seasons (and allowed for SHAFT to finish off the "pre-Nori and Nazuna" stories even after they are officially introduced to the show), it feels as if SHAFT is pretty much skipping over some exciting stories just to rush to an "anime ending" for the series.
Well, SHAFT does seem to have a ton of stuff it's plate in the next couple of years, so you can't really blame them for wanting to give a long running series (in Japanese terms) a proper ending while they still have a chance.
Old 2012-11-21, 11:04   Link #194
maximilianjenus
[E]

Yah, I am expecting hidamari sketch to take a small break after this season, something around 2 years.

talking aobut shaft, what projects do they have ? I know that a third madoka movie is in teh works , a second madoka season has been hinted and there are posibilities of a prism banana season if the pvs achieve whatever they are supossed to achieve, I don't know if *monogatari anything has been confirmed, tho and know less about any other new projects, like how much maria holic sold or how mauch manga they have left ot adapt. so as things stand (afaik) it would be one year of break for hidamari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
Mami is the other classmate of Yuno and Miyako (she's the one with the pigtail on her left side).
thanks.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 14:47   Link #195
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
Yah, I am expecting hidamari sketch to take a small break after this season, something around 2 years.

talking aobut shaft, what projects do they have ? I know that a third madoka movie is in teh works , a second madoka season has been hinted and there are posibilities of a prism banana season if the pvs achieve whatever they are supossed to achieve, I don't know if *monogatari anything has been confirmed, tho and know less about any other new projects, like how much maria holic sold or how mauch manga they have left ot adapt. so as things stand (afaik) it would be one year of break for hidamari.

thanks.
The monogatari series has 2 seasons and a movie confirmed if I'm not mistaken.
Old 2012-11-21, 23:07   Link #196
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
The monogatari series has 2 seasons and a movie confirmed if I'm not mistaken.
And SHAFT also has that series that's coming out in January too. And this doesn't even get into potential sequels for other SHAFT anime series.
Old 2012-11-21, 23:41   Link #197
Midonin
Last Engage

I don't think these twelve episodes will be the end. Every Hidamari season to date has gotten a two episode OVA special, and Honeycomb will likely be no different.
Old 2012-11-22, 00:00   Link #198
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Nori still hasn't completed her apprenticeship in being the "husband" under Sae yet! Of course it can't end so easily!
Old 2012-11-23, 21:06   Link #199
DorkingtonPugsly

Mami got to talk a lot this episode, which was nice since she's cute. And Miyachan in her kimono/ghost costume with her hair down was really cute.
And the balloon room... what a strange idea haha.
Still the same Yamabukisai, yet it felt different than the year before's.
Old 2012-11-24, 00:41   Link #200
Midonin
Last Engage

Hidamari x Honeycomb 08 - A Little Late for Halloween, Isn't It?

Such a well-done episode. So many little character moments that exemplified the best of Hidamari Sketch. There were NoriNazu moments, HiroSae moments, YunoMiya moments, and appearances from everyone short of Chika and the landlady. (When is Chika going to show up in this season? She's been a constant.) I loved the motif of the spider at the beginning and the end, with Yuno appreciating it for its webbed art. And the second half of the show looked to have a motif of hands running through it. Miya's hand, Yuno's artist's hand and a fake plastic hand.

Making even the reception desk scary is just the kind of thing I'd expect art students to do - along with a highly liberal adaptation of Shakespeare. Hiro Shimono was the right guy to get for such a role. And the Monta-牛 pun is cheap and terrible - just the way I like it. The thread of Yuno and Arisawa's relationship was continued, with Yuno making an active effort to continue texting her, and Yuno and her parents are more alike than Yuno thinks, even if she finds them embarrassing.

Even the throwaway lines are wonderful, such as Nazuna wondering if Sae and Hiro were doing an udon art exhibit (come to think of it, that sounds kinda cool). And Yoshinoya. Oh my, Yoshinoya. She only got about three scenes, but stole the show in every one of them. She makes a fine Sexy!Momotaro, and the failed bonfire hijacking is perfectly timed silent comedy. I've seen many, many, many episodes set at school festivals, and this one is strengthened by everything before it. It produces more laughs than tears, but that undercurrent of Yuno coming into her own gives it a poignant feeling.

I think I need nearly as many words to write about this episode as Yuno does to write about her pamphlet. And why shouldn't I? There's plenty to be proud of.

Tags
comedy, seinen