AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-07-29, 10:44   Link #41
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Eeeh .. they look like Mi-Demon Mi-Human now ..
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 17:28   Link #42
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Mreh, not really happy with that. Like you said Nighty, it just feels like going with whatever they think off and adjust the lore to that. At first they were just a different breed of human, now they're more... demons.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 01:44   Link #43
Hellbore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Mreh, not really happy with that. Like you said Nighty, it just feels like going with whatever they think off and adjust the lore to that. At first they were just a different breed of human, now they're more... demons.
Qunari were never human. The were always qunari.

On Compromise: Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
Hellbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 03:07   Link #44
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

But they were human-like in appearance, making them more a different kind of human like western, Asian, and African people differ from each-other. That's what attracted me to them, they were mostly a different culture. Now their difference is more delegated to the species than that of the culture, which is a minus for me.
Old 2010-07-30, 03:08   Link #45
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Qunari are Qunari, they are born warriors. Chances are, 99.99.9% of them want to die warriors.

Dammit, Bioware. Making Illidan's out of them.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 04:01   Link #46
kujoe
from head to heel

Man, what the hell happened to the qunari? Ok, I understand that only a few have these horns, but it just sounds like it came out of nowhere all of a sudden. They even have a different skin tone, which makes these horned qunari look so utterly different from the non-horned ones. Heck, they actually remind of vampires from Legacy of Kain!

I don't mind this new piece of lore (i.e., the horns), but the other distinct traits are too different for them to be considered as qunari. I hope Bioware will reconcile such differences under its new art direction. It's also mentioned that we'll be seeing some new stuff for the elves and dwarves as well...

Well, at least this piece of info *probably* answers who that horned lady might be in the promo art that has been going around. She's likely to be a female qunari, probably a mage—which raises another question: considering the qunari are even stricter when it comes to mages than the Chantry in Ferelden (assuming she is a mage...), why is she with Hawke? Also, why is she with the party (assuming she's a horned qunari...) when women are not supposed to be warriors in their society as Sten states in DA:O?

Oh, one thing I want to see in DA2? Aesthetic differences in armour depending on the region or kingdom. Surely, the Antivans have their own armour designs based on their culture and functional requirements. The qunari have their own unique culture and history too, which their ways of dress should reflect. One of the disappointments I have from the first game is that all those spirits in the Urn of Ashes quest look so generic. They are all dressed in contemporary clothes and equipment when they are supposedly figures of a long gone past. Details can make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Kinda like how in Mass Effect 2, some people are in possession of new security droids and thermal clips when they aren't supposed to, being castaway for decades.
Well, thermal clips are supposed to be recent invention derived from geth weapon technology. Weird, I know. It's one of those "why didn't I think of that before?" moments.

Last edited by kujoe; 2010-07-30 at 04:21.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 04:46   Link #47
Irkalla
I asked for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post

Well, at least this piece of info *probably* answers who that horned lady might be in the promo art that has been going around. She's likely to be a female qunari, probably a mage—which raises another question: considering the qunari are even stricter when it comes to mages than the Chantry in Ferelden (assuming she is a mage...), why is she with Hawke? Also, why is she with the party (assuming she's a horned qunari...) when women are not supposed to be warriors in their society as Sten states in DA:O?
Actually, I think it has been established that the horned female in the promo art is Flemeth? If she can turn into a dragon it makes sense that she can take on every form she wants. This is Flemeth as well, notice how the dragon has the same head gear/horns than the humanoid Flemeth from the promo art?

I like the new Qunari design tho, but maybe that is is just me. He looks kinda like Hellboy meets Kratos, but very likeable. I think it's an upgrade from Sten, who is basically just a tall and buff black guy with white hair. It's nice to have a better variety of all the races, and exaggerating their features is just part of fantasy rpging. It's boring if all characters look too humanoid. I'd even romance him if he was an option, fufufu.

Last edited by Irkalla; 2010-07-30 at 04:58. Reason: added link
Irkalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 05:53   Link #48
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaseka View Post
Actually, I think it has been established that the horned female in the promo art is Flemeth? If she can turn into a dragon it makes sense that she can take on every form she wants. This is Flemeth as well, notice how the dragon has the same head gear/horns than the humanoid Flemeth from the promo art?
Oh I didn't know that.

That's an interesting form she chose. Now I'm wondering if Flemeth is originally a qunari. Her horns are actually very similar to those of the horned qunari that was recently revealed.

I like the fact that the races didn't look that different from one another, save for unique features such as pointed ears, and different body types. It gave the whole racism angle something that can be related or comparable in real terms.
Old 2010-07-30, 07:02   Link #49
Irkalla
I asked for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Oh I didn't know that.

That's an interesting form she chose. Now I'm wondering if Flemeth is originally a qunari. Her horns are actually very similar to those of the horned qunari that was recently revealed.

I like the fact that the races didn't look that different from one another, save for unique features such as pointed ears, and different body types. It gave the whole racism angle something that can be related or comparable in real terms.
I highly doubt Flemeth is a qunari, it's more like she was just stylized. Or maybe that promo art is just a sequence from where she morphs from the dragon into her humanoid form, so it might not even be the final stage. But I'd kinda prefer if it was, she looks more badass like this.

Personally, I don't think you can compare real life racism to the in game one, neither do I think they should stay within "realistic" limits of differentiation. I think that sends out the wrong message. It would basically mean that, as long as we just differ a little bit in skin colour or features shape, we are all kin, but when the difference gets more vast, it's okay to be racist. Think about the racism in Me (if you have played it) with the humans vs aliens that look really nothing like us.
Old 2010-07-30, 10:59   Link #50
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I'm ok that Bioware has changed the game to a ME2 , first looks are good ..
But don't go that far too , it'll also kill the game ...
Old 2010-07-30, 12:53   Link #51
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Personally, I don't think you can compare real life racism to the in game one, neither do I think they should stay within "realistic" limits of differentiation. I think that sends out the wrong message. It would basically mean that, as long as we just differ a little bit in skin colour or features shape, we are all kin, but when the difference gets more vast, it's okay to be racist. Think about the racism in Me (if you have played it) with the humans vs aliens that look really nothing like us.
I don't mean it that way. Bioware is in fact, differentiating the races more in terms of appearances, not to make some commentary on racism, but merely to expand the lore of the setting.

Racism is racism, and really, its roots in DA:O lies in the shared history of the races in Thedas. Slight differences in appearance creates another dimension of tragedy when people cannot look beyond them. The idea here is not to focus on too much differentiation in appearances and not be too 'obvious' about it.
Old 2010-08-04, 17:19   Link #52
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Oh, but we can. After all, that's the entire point of the whole Elven alienage spin. I know racism is a touchy subject many people rather avoid than face, but really, the elven alienage is pretty much a 1:1 copy of any slum out there in the real world. That is, after all, the entire point. The alienages were designed to mimic real world racism because that way it hits home faster.

You can argue that it 'sends the wrong message' but then putting a knife between someone's ribs because he has a key I want is hardly 'sending the right message' either.
Old 2010-08-06, 18:33   Link #53
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Ok here the concept art for all races and gender :

Spoiler for Hmmmm:

What's up with Female Human ? Look her chin .

This is the first time that we saw Female Qunari right ? Look like "Strong Woman" you know
Old 2010-08-06, 19:14   Link #54
Who

Actually, that's a tatoo. I nearly spit out my water cause I thought it was a beard too, but it's a green color.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 03:58   Link #55
kujoe
from head to heel

Is that comparison supposed to be in scale?

The elves were generally supposed to be of shorter and slimmer build compared to the humans.

Man, just when there's more qunari-related content, and we can't even choose to be one.
Old 2010-08-07, 06:30   Link #56
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Well, they still are slimmer.

Comparing the male and female qunari, I wish they'd make the male horns more subtle like the female ones.

Dwarves didn't change much. Females just got a teeny bit slimmer.
Old 2010-08-07, 10:14   Link #57
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Add a tail to the female qunari and you've got a Draenei from World of Warcraft.

I for one don't really like the new "look" they gave the Qunari, what's up with trying to set them up as the bad guys, sheesh.
What's next, their kings have wings and hooves?
Old 2010-08-07, 11:09   Link #58
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Well, despite my misgivings with the Qunari look (those horns are really overkill), I'm quite fond of this new art style. Hopefully it will translate nicely to the actual game.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 12:13   Link #59
kujoe
from head to heel

The new qunari would look like tieflings if they had tails.

Last edited by kujoe; 2010-08-08 at 10:22.
Old 2010-08-07, 15:21   Link #60
Irkalla
I asked for this

Wow, those concepts look neat, especially the qunaris and dwarfs. The qunari chick is a demonic babe!!! I'd be awesome if they'd put qunaris as a romance interest as well. It would be like Neeshka from Neverwinter nights, just more badass and demonic

Tags
bioware, ps3, rpg, windows, xbox360