Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2005-12-19, 13:28   Link #1
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Dragon in nature

Hi there, folks! It's me Kiva! The loveable forum...guy. >_>

Anyways, I haven't posted here in an age mainly because I've been drawing my manga which btw the 2nd chapter is finished, just gotta scan and do all the touch-up work. But more importantly than that, I finally managed to get a tablet. And I gotta say, this baby helps so much it isn't funny.

Onto the pic:

Mmm...the following pic was my first serious attempt at drawing a 100% digital picture with my tablet. I've only done 2 other 100% digital pics but they were just sketches testing out the tablet. It was quite the learning experience I must say.

This picture just kept growing and growing. And what I mean by that is, it wasn't even supposed to have a background. I was just gonna draw a dragon and that's it. But I said "why stop there" and uh...what was supposed to take a few hours, went into a few weeks...haha...

Here's the pic:

I have lots to learn obviously. One of my problems was the lighting...being the fool I am, I decided on using 2 light sources (bad idea) which just complicated things. I did my best though. The other was just general detailing of nature. I think nature is one of the hardest things to paint due to the shear amount of detail you have to throw in. Leaves, dirt, rocks, water, skies, clouds, grass, bushes, logs, etc.

Twas hard I tells ya!
But in the end I really like how it turned out. And this is only the beginning which is getting me excited. How much better will I be a year from now? Two years? Oh I can't wait! >_<;;!!

This may be my last post for a while because I have to finish up my website I'm working on and some other projects.

Hope you guys like the pic!

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention: water is such a pain to paint. That was my first attempt at water ever...if anyone has some tutorials or something with water, I would appreciate it.

EDIT2: New url since my old one seems to be down for some reason.

Last edited by Kiva128; 2005-12-22 at 12:14.
Kiva128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 16:24   Link #2
Dokuganryu
motorcycle boy

Send a message via MSN to Dokuganryu
wow, i like it. the tree second from the far left is really well done and as is the grass around it. the dragon is cool too. as you said, the lighting is the main problem with it, but as a person who's also just bought a drawing tablet and still learning photoshop, i'm impressed.
Dokuganryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-20, 07:53   Link #3
sarrah
tikki

WOWOWOWOW> love the large scale drawing! seceneries are the hardest for me! well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sarrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 12:25   Link #4
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Here's a picture of some clouds I whipped up in 40-50 mins. This was done before the dragon picture in the first post, so I like to think I've improved ^_^;;. It's nothing special but I thought I'd throw it in here just for laughs. This was the only time I've used a lens flare. I think it works okay here unlike most pictures where they throw one in just because it looks cool.

Man those birds suck. >_<
Old 2005-12-22, 14:31   Link #5
chison
GSNMaSter
*Artist

(rating.... 7-9/10 ) western style
(a very good piece of art...and pro........most people should rate it very high. i think...in here)

one thing ..at first ...when i lookin to you pic..feel first more like LIZARD?sorry if you don't like how i decribed it~*_*but...as a animal view~~that is a cool LIZARDart to me~~
anyway...there's loads of type of dragon[red-Dragon ,drak Dragon...i personal feels more like the fantasi?? type of dragons that which i love a bit more.....]

background...had lots of details~~and texture...you seems to work seriouly
i love the first and second and maybe the third trees started on the left .......[ps:as a tree....the coloring was seems a bit too smooth to me.....adding lots to bits' shadow would make it more like a really tree...well....maybe that is not the style U're lookin for]

hopefully you can understand what i'm saying~my english is kindy very bad~
chison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 22:03   Link #6
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Awe, what a cute dragon. I love dragons. Good work! More dragons please!
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 02:26   Link #7
muuko
sai

WOW~! *0* That's really impressive~~ for the first pic, i think the trees on the right could use some more details or.. texture @_@ But overall very very good!~

And the clouds image is also really nice :3
muuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 09:32   Link #8
sarrah
tikki

the clouds are done very well, including the subtle rays of light and stuff,,, very nice! i liiiike
Old 2005-12-23, 10:13   Link #9
Rachy
Disabled By Request

the second one is great! lub-ness that hehe.

the first one ish nice background i dont like dragons, maybe put a guy there and yay haha =P.
Rachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 14:52   Link #10
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Hey guys. Long time no post. The reason I haven't been around too much lately is because I've been busy drawing my portfolio for a college class. I have to have 15 pieces done and so far I have only 10. D'oh! But if they like my work I start this September, so wish me luck. >_<

Anyways I thought I would post one I just finished. It's called "Frozen Forest". Um...not much I can say at the time but yeah, I was going for something new than what I usually paint/draw. I like how the snow turned out in this one for some reason. And once again I have to say it: first time drawing snow so there's probably some problems with it but no ones perfect.

>.>
<.<
Here ya go:

I was gonna put some poem/text thing in there but it didn't fit so I left it out. And maybe that one tree in the background by the wolves could use a bit of detail but I wanted to leave it that way to emphasize it being further away. Anyways, let me know what you think! When I finish the rest of my pics, I'll come back here for a huge critiqing spree.
I'm pretty much in crunch time here.

Later all.
Old 2006-01-23, 15:24   Link #11
sarrah
tikki

amazing as always!!! man if anyopne out there is getting a new tablet and is getting rid of their old one let me know im happy to take the old one of their hands!!

back to the art amazing..the colour scheme composition light and depth everything its so great ...btw kiva do u hav a DA account/>?
Old 2006-01-23, 20:02   Link #12
Cracknut
The Village Idiot

Attnetion!!!! Great BG artist on the floor.
Cracknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-24, 00:28   Link #13
pinsher6

great works,what about drawing a chinese style dragon...expect to see it...
pinsher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-24, 20:43   Link #14
LovelyLostSoul
Lost

I'm really impressed with your work. I can see you need to work on just a few small things, but I think you can fix it easily. Please post more soon.
LovelyLostSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 09:43   Link #15
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Hello, it's me again. Just wanted to put up another picture, which is actually almost a year old. It's for this one manga thing I was working on but due to time constraints, don't think I'll finish anytime soon.

It's a picture of these 2 brothers with dragons (yeah, yeah I know. Enough with the dragons. I won't be doing dragons for a while anyways) in the background. The left dragon is my favourite. I just really like how he came out.

You'll probably notice that this is just the lineart (not inked btw, just pencil) and that's because I don't think I'll get around to colouring it.

I'm putting the picture in the spoiler tag since it's a bit large. Heh...you can even see the space in the middle of the picture. I actually had to tape to pieces of paper together because I didn't have any really big ones.

Spoiler:

Anyways, my portfolio presentation is on the 13th so look forward to me C&C'ing pretty much all the threads in here after that date. I still have 2 pictures left to finish so I better get back to it.
Old 2006-02-07, 20:30   Link #16
chison
GSNMaSter
*Artist

Animal dr. don't know do you like this"title"
love your animal
the wolf..9/10..a perfect img to me....xd
the #15 ...the dragon at my right .....Leviathan ?finalfantasy?
the dragon at left...????not giving me the Authority?the power feels
ps...you needs work more on guys?or simply not using human chara~

~^_^...hope my comment helps
chison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 21:06   Link #17
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chison
Animal dr. don't know do you like this"title"
love your animal
the wolf..9/10..a perfect img to me....xd
the #15 ...the dragon at my right .....Leviathan ?finalfantasy?
the dragon at left...????not giving me the Authority?the power feels
ps...you needs work more on guys?or simply not using human chara~

~^_^...hope my comment helps
Thank you for the comments chison. I know you think I have to work on my guys. Infact, I have a picture I'm working on now which is my best work yet and it's a picture of a person. I won't be doing animals for a long time, because as you said, most of my recent ones have been of dragons, and such. All I used to draw were people for 2 years straight though since I was doing my manga. So I thought I would take a break from drawing people.

You should post some more of your artwork. I want to comment on it to thank you for spending your time critiquing so many pictures from everyone. We really do appreciate it.
Old 2006-02-07, 22:51   Link #18
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

OMG, Kiva, that dragon drawing was awesome. You're good enough I ought to have you redesign my dragon logo.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 08:57   Link #19
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiva128
Hello, it's me again. Just wanted to put up another picture, which is actually almost a year old. It's for this one manga thing I was working on but due to time constraints, don't think I'll finish anytime soon.

It's a picture of these 2 brothers with dragons (yeah, yeah I know. Enough with the dragons. I won't be doing dragons for a while anyways) in the background. The left dragon is my favourite. I just really like how he came out.

You'll probably notice that this is just the lineart (not inked btw, just pencil) and that's because I don't think I'll get around to colouring it.

I'm putting the picture in the spoiler tag since it's a bit large. Heh...you can even see the space in the middle of the picture. I actually had to tape to pieces of paper together because I didn't have any really big ones.

Spoiler:

Anyways, my portfolio presentation is on the 13th so look forward to me C&C'ing pretty much all the threads in here after that date. I still have 2 pictures left to finish so I better get back to it.
I think the quality of your lines is very good: they look professional, controlled and conscious... the bits of shading are good, however, I think you need to work on your humans, they look a bit stiff. Especially the guy on the left, his arm looks awkward.

Looking at all your work I'm impressed by the effort you put in at your work, I'm sure you'll become a very good artist some day if you keep it up. I might sound like I'm talking out of my ass here but I get the feeling that you know what you want to say, it's just that you haven't gotten the hang of the instruments and hence it doesn't come out exactly as you want it. I think you might want to practise focusing on one thing at a time, it might work better than doing whole complex sceneries. Your picture of the sky was not bad .