AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2012-09-27, 16:05   Link #41
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The work they're doing with H x H is consistently top-notch, and it's not being done on the cheap. And Chihayafuru is arguably the best show of the last year. Reports of their death continue to be greatly exaggerated and I still see no hard evidence they're in real trouble.

And you all suck, AO is an excellent show and kudos to BONES for daring to do something different with the sequel.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 16:07   Link #42
duckroll
綺羅星★!

The only thing which sucks in regard to AO is the show itself.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 16:09   Link #43
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

The recent Madhouse studio discussion has been moved the the Madhouse: Studio discussion, speculation, and whatnot thread in the General Anime forum. Continue this discussion there.

Thank you.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 16:21   Link #44
Blaat

Only a small part of my post was part of the Madhouse discussion, anyway reposting what I said:

I'm liking the staff, I really enjoyed Mouryou no Hako it had great visuals and an excellent soundtrack along with its somewhat crossover in Blue Literature (Run! Melos) which was, not so coincidentally, the best arc of Blue Literature.
So I'm really looking forward to this.
Old 2012-09-27, 16:28   Link #45
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Honestly, I think it's great that the director has found a consistent team who he's comfortable to work with, and it doesn't matter what studio produces the actual project. In the end, it's good news for everyone if they turn out a good product, and the only difference would be who is funding it and where the work is actually done physically.
Old 2012-09-27, 17:16   Link #46
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
The only thing which sucks in regard to AO is the show itself.
Off-topic, off-topic, off-topic...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 21:57   Link #47
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Hey that's cheating!
Old 2012-10-21, 18:19   Link #48
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Wow that did not take long for this movie to get almost instant hate right off of the premiere. People REALLY hated this movie off of the premiere and now I'm really curious and admittedly highly skeptical as to what it could have done to be so apparently bad. Guess I'll find out the real scoop when I go to see it, but I'll just say that the reaction doesn't surprise me for a number of reasons, most of which contribute to my skepticism.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 18:29   Link #49
HosannaExcelsis

The impression I get is that most of the negative reaction is due to the film being nearly incomprehensible unless you've read the original novel.
HosannaExcelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 18:29   Link #50
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Wow that did not take long for this movie to get almost instant hate right off of the premiere. People REALLY hated this movie off of the premiere and now I'm really curious and admittedly highly skeptical as to what it could have done to be so apparently bad.
I've seen one review that hated it but a couple others that ddn't though all reviews seem to agree that it's flawed.
Old 2012-10-21, 18:51   Link #51
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I've seen one review that hated it but a couple others that ddn't though all reviews seem to agree that it's flawed.
Everything is flawed in some respect which is a harsh reality I think a lot of people have a hard time coping with or can even be in flat out denial about at times, but this movie is just getting some kind of vitriol that's being taken astonishingly at face value from what I've seen and people seem legitimately angry about it's premiere. That sort of thing (the "absolute opinion" as I've come to call it) always makes me very skeptical and like I'm not getting an accurate assessment as to the qualities and flaws of a given work. I wish I could speak having seen the film myself (though that'll come in time) but to me an ever increasing number of anime reviews just seem to depend on how much the reviewer chooses to hold something up against the wall for it's shortcomings or put it on the pedestal for it's strengths (absolutes) and somehow I get the sense people really wanted to nail this one more than most judging by the tone and language used in a lot of the opinions I've seen.

To be honest the things I've heard sound like criticisms you could attribute to plenty of things that I often just don't see come up as total deal breakers which is frankly a little strange to me. Those two reviews you linked me seem like genuine attempts to dispassionately review/recommend the film to it's target audience though, which is frankly better than anything I've seen thus far. Very professional and considered (especially the latter one) so thanks for posting them.

I guess we'll see then, the one consensus I've noted is that it's a trend setter for visuals when it comes to animated film, which doesn't surprise me to hear after watching the trailers. To be honest reading the premise of the story I frankly don't and never did expect a plot line that would set the world on fire (and not just because the title bears an uncanny resemblance to a pretty crappy one shot 80's OVA), break cleanly from all established conventions, nor lean in any particular direction towards hard sci-fi or romance so I'm not really surprised to see evidence to that end. I do however find it amusing how selective the idea of tropes and conventions and how much of a detriment they can be to something seems to be though. Sometimes it's at the forefront of criticism, other times obvious tropes are completely ignored for the sake of ones own enjoyment and at this rate one might as well be able to flip a coin when it comes to when the idea of tropeiness is going to crop up and take center stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HosannaExcelsis View Post
The impression I get is that most of the negative reaction is due to the film being nearly incomprehensible unless you've read the original novel.
That doesn't worry me much as I have plenty of experience deciphering densely plotted and/or heavily compacted material via inferring what needs to be understood off of subtle cues and strands of dialogue. Call it a stubborn almost pathological will towards understanding and hyper-analyzing everything I encounter till it's committed to memory, but many is the time that I've been told something makes absolutely zero sense to someone and yet I'm able to understand it completely off of a first attempt so this really does not concern me barring it just being totally all over the place and lacking any semblance of pacing.
Old 2012-10-22, 04:26   Link #52
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by HosannaExcelsis
I don't think this is strictly speaking the case, although it certainly seemed like it just after the screening as I was discussing it with other people.

I think I was one of the very few people at the screening with any familiarity with the story of Nerawareta Gakuen, and my knowledge of that did help with certain parts of the film as it's something of a sequel to the original novel. The vast majority of the film has absolutely no reliance on the original novel at all and makes perfect sense without it, but there are certain moments that only really have the desired emotional impact if you know the original story, and I also think it makes some of the woollier plot elements clearer - but it doesn't completely excuse some of the gaps in the narrative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
(and not just because the title bears an uncanny resemblance to a pretty crappy one shot 80's OVA)
Bear in mind that "Psychic School Wars" is the title that Shochiku, the film's distributor, has chosen for it. It is not a literal translation, and no previous version of this story has been called that. It also has virtually nothing to do with the story, save that there are psychics and a school in it.

Quote:
That doesn't worry me much as I have plenty of experience deciphering densely plotted and/or heavily compacted material via inferring what needs to be understood off of subtle cues and strands of dialogue. Call it a stubborn almost pathological will towards understanding and hyper-analyzing everything I encounter till it's committed to memory, but many is the time that I've been told something makes absolutely zero sense to someone and yet I'm able to understand it completely off of a first attempt so this really does not concern me barring it just being totally all over the place and lacking any semblance of pacing.
It's not an issue of pacing. The film is a bit long, but in general the pacing is very good. It is definitely an issue of things not being explained properly.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, there are three plot points in the film which are poorly handled. Two of these are foreshadowed by throwaway lines of dialogue, but when they are eventually revealed leave far too many questions unanswered. The third, unfortunately, is the ending, where although all the dialogue makes sense the events which are taking place come so suddenly out of the blue without any explanation that it seems like complete nonsense.

It's definitely a film I want to see again - out of the reviews you've linked above I think the Chaos Agent one is very much in line with my own thoughts on it. I think the reactions of people who hated it are valid, because the climax is so confusing dramatically it pulled most of the audience out of the film, but the vast majority of the film is really very good indeed.
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 04:47   Link #53
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

It's out already?
Old 2012-10-22, 05:52   Link #54
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
It's out already?
The film had its international premiere at the Scotland Loves Animation festival on Saturday - I flew up to Edinburgh specifically to see it as I'm a big fan of Ryosuke Nakamura's previous work as a director.
Old 2012-10-22, 05:59   Link #55
sky black swordman

^ If you had to rate the movie on a scale of one to ten, where would you rate it ?
Old 2012-10-22, 06:03   Link #56
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I see...hope the BD is out soon...
Old 2012-10-22, 06:28   Link #57
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
^ If you had to rate the movie on a scale of one to ten, where would you rate it ?
Personally? I'd give it a 7 or an 8. The ending is a narrative mess, but the other storytelling flaws I can live with and the rest of the film I thought was really quite fantastic - I wouldn't hesitate to be thinking of a higher grade as it's really the fact that the ending is "so bad" that drags it down.

The dialogue is generally well written, the animation is lively and interesting to look at, the haracters are likeable etc. etc. It's just unfortunate that the climax of the whole film in particular doesn't live up to the rest of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle
I see...hope the BD is out soon...
The film doesn't open in Japan until November. Judging by similar films that Sunrise has released in the past few years (like Colorful or King of Thorn) I think we'll probably have another 10 months or so to wait until a BD release.
Old 2012-10-22, 09:32   Link #58
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

kinda weird that it airs internationally before the Japan release...
Old 2012-10-22, 09:47   Link #59
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
kinda weird that it airs internationally before the Japan release...
It's not completely unheard of.Satoshi Kon movies premiered internationally before a japanese release,same with movies like King of Thorn,Redline or Wolf Children (off the top of my head)
Old 2012-11-01, 11:21   Link #60
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

There's a new trailer out for the movie. Must. Use. Lens. Flare. In. Every. Scene.

It makes Star Trek look dark and dingy by comparison. Also the longer the trailers get for this movie the more it's starting to look like some sort of slow paced romantic comedy as opposed to a science fiction flick. I can certainly see how there might not be anything truly groundbreaking in this film (never expected it in the first place though), but I'm still holding out on it not making me confused and lost or whatever like the people that went to Edinburgh claim. I think it'll probably also help that I know now more what to expect and that when I finally get to watch it I'll have the opportunity to review any overly dense scenes to make sure I pick up on everything. Just not sure how interested I'll be in it if it does turn out to be mostly romantic comedy glitzy visuals or not.

Tags
sunrise