AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-06-14, 14:59   Link #3621
Mentar
Banned

Somehow I find watching the game... displeasing. It's sad if one team can't even manage to keep possession of the ball for more than 5 seconds in their own half when no less than 9 of their own field players are back there. It's too pitiful.

So yes, Spain is commanding and impressive, but Ireland... well, sorry. Makes me wonder how they ever got here.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 15:12   Link #3622
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Another Torres goal. They've definitely killed it now. It's cold blooded murder.. Feel sorry for the Irish fans. This must really hurt.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 15:14   Link #3623
Mentar
Banned

The game was dead after 6 minutes with the Torres goal. Can't you see how _helpless_ the Irish are? They can't even keep possession.
Old 2012-06-14, 15:21   Link #3624
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well you can't say they suck at possession after only 6 minutes.

After the first goal, I'd say it's more like a fatal wound and it's slowly bleeding to death, but not quite dead.

[EDIT]

LOL. Now they're just beating a dead body...
Old 2012-06-14, 15:29   Link #3625
Mentar
Banned

Well, but after 15 Minutes it was clearly visible. It sure wasn't the third goal which finished it ^_^;

Still, this game leaves a bad aftertaste in my mouth. I've seen hundreds of game in the last 10 years, but I can't remember any game at a EC in which a match was so hopelessly one-sided. It's like watching a prize boxer beating the living crap out of a schoolboy...

EDIT: Hehehe... kudos to the Irish fans ... they're singing at least!
Old 2012-06-14, 15:36   Link #3626
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

*shrugs* Just to clarify, when I meant killed I meant so bad not even a freak miracle could save them.

Personally though I liked the game. It was still entertaining stuff by Spain.
Old 2012-06-14, 15:39   Link #3627
Solafighter
Hige

Congrats Spain.
Old 2012-06-14, 17:30   Link #3628
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Still, this game leaves a bad aftertaste in my mouth. I've seen hundreds of game in the last 10 years, but I can't remember any game at a EC in which a match was so hopelessly one-sided. It's like watching a prize boxer beating the living crap out of a schoolboy...
The chances that the strongest and weakest team of the tournament meet in the group phase are not that great.

Still national sides using chunks of club teams just seem to do better. It's pretty much the midfield units of Barcelona and Zenit and the defensive units of Bayern and Juventus dominating the tournament.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 17:31   Link #3629
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
I really feel bad for Ireland...I suppose even with 4 goals, such one-sided domination can still make a match boring. At least Torres bags a few goals though, maybe that can boost his confidence.

And good for Croatia too, they played well and deserve the tie. Really, Pirlo seems to be the only great player for Italy, I though Chiellini defended well then he let up the ball that becomes the goal. Looking at how Ireland plays Italy should still win, so their fate is in the hands of Spain now.
Old 2012-06-14, 18:12   Link #3630
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

I am not sure if Croatia deserved the win. Over the entire game Italy were clearly the superior side. They created much more quality chances than Croatia. What really killed Italy was the bad finishing, and perhaps their decision to defend deeper in the second half. They were complacent after going 1-0 up.

Croatia's fullbacks were really good though. Srna in particular was very dangerous.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 20:45   Link #3631
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

I see no one has said a word about Van Persie. It's amazing listening to the commentary and analysis on him here in the UK. He was uncharacteristically bad against Denmark, but people just went overboard talking about the opportunities he missed against the Germans before he connected. No striker, no matter their form, is going to bury every chance.

It's the same deal with Torres. He's missed countless challenges going back to August, but he's still one of the better strikers in the world. He played well last night, but if he misses some chances later in the competition, the over-analysis will return.

Looking forward to England's game. It's a shame that without Rooney, there isn't a single player you expect to create chances.
Old 2012-06-14, 21:12   Link #3632
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
I see no one has said a word about Van Persie. It's amazing listening to the commentary and analysis on him here in the UK. He was uncharacteristically bad against Denmark, but people just went overboard talking about the opportunities he missed against the Germans before he connected. No striker, no matter their form, is going to bury every chance.
Dutch pundits were split on whether to play either Van Persie or Huntelaar or both at the start of the competition. After the last two games the most common view now is that he isn't capable of functioning as a center forward in the national team and should be used as a free roaming 10/second striker playing off Huntelaar.

As that is Sneijders position, Van Marwijk may switch things around to accommodate them both by positioning Sneijder either to the left, or to the back as in a "Pirlo role", or simply bench Van Persie as Sneijder is more important to the team.
Old 2012-06-14, 23:20   Link #3633
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Dutch pundits were split on whether to play either Van Persie or Huntelaar or both at the start of the competition. After the last two games the most common view now is that he isn't capable of functioning as a center forward in the national team and should be used as a free roaming 10/second striker playing off Huntelaar.

As that is Sneijders position, Van Marwijk may switch things around to accommodate them both by positioning Sneijder either to the left, or to the back as in a "Pirlo role", or simply bench Van Persie as Sneijder is more important to the team.
Interesting.

I'd have RVP as a winger. He used to be one and he's a more complete player than Afellay or Kuyt. Deployed out wide, he could create (something he's very good at), and get into scoring positions when he wants to.

To the talk about him not being able to function as a true CF, he doesn't receive nearly the kind of consistent support playing for the Dutch as he does playing for the Gunners. Yes, he's missed some golden opportunities, but he's also been in good positions only to see Robben forgo passing it to him for a shot or Afellay place a poor ball.
Old 2012-06-15, 05:13   Link #3634
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
Interesting.

I'd have RVP as a winger. He used to be one and he's a more complete player than Afellay or Kuyt. Deployed out wide, he could create (something he's very good at), and get into scoring positions when he wants to.

To the talk about him not being able to function as a true CF, he doesn't receive nearly the kind of consistent support playing for the Dutch as he does playing for the Gunners. Yes, he's missed some golden opportunities, but he's also been in good positions only to see Robben forgo passing it to him for a shot or Afellay place a poor ball.
It's been tried in test matches but with RVP and Robben on the wings, the team becomes to narrow. The fullbacks are not able to cover the distance to provide the width needed for such a setup.

The real issue is not his finishing nor the service to him (although that could be better). RVP is simply a striker and not a true center forward. To be at his best, he requires the space to roam and it's part of his game to drop deep often. That is what makes him good at Arsenal but it's a liability for the national team. The NT often find no one in or near the box to receive crosses or to provide link up play. However if RVP is required to play as a point man, in a confined zone with his back to the goal, he loses much of what makes him great.
Old 2012-06-15, 08:40   Link #3635
NK_500
Disabled By Request

Spoiler for Swedes and their photoshoppery:

What if England win this night instead?
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 11:38   Link #3636
Blaat

I came home expecting a football match, not shots of an empty stadium, rain and hearing crappy europop.

edit: they're now stabbing the pitch with pitchforks, this is nailbiting stuff guys.

Also the coach of France is having a conversation with Shevchenko shame we can't hear what they're saying.
Old 2012-06-15, 12:02   Link #3637
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Also the coach of France is having a conversation with Shevchenko shame we can't hear what they're saying.
This is what he said:
Spoiler:

Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 14:39   Link #3638
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

0:1

I wonder how long I'll last before I completely lose it and kill those commentators...

Anyway, nice goal Carrol.

[EDIT]

1:1

OH COME ON!!

Last edited by Haak; 2012-06-15 at 15:39.
Old 2012-06-15, 15:10   Link #3639
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Mellberg equalizes, which unfortunately makes it more unlikely to stay with my team

EDIT: and scores again... gods I love him
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 15:20   Link #3640
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

2:1

Forget the commentators. I'm just gonna go ahead and kill myself...

[EDIT]

2:2

Or maybe not...

[EDIT]

2:3

Okay, sticking to killing those commentators then...

[EDIT]

Full Time:

Well...that was embarrassing...

Last edited by Haak; 2012-06-15 at 15:53.

Tags
football, soccer