AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-13, 02:17   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 621 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Yeaaaah boy! It's that time of the week again! The story of merman island's history continues this chapter. As usual, credit for the summary and translation goes to T and aohige, respectively:

-Chapter title is "Otohime and Tiger". The latest volume of the ministory shows us Usopp's hometown of Syrup village, where we see his old pirate crew has grown a bit (no mention of Kaya, though....).

-We flash back to merman island 16 years in the past. We're introduced to queen Otohime (goldfish mermaid), who beats down a burglar who took a hostage. Though it's noted that she has a fragile body (and even broke her bones after the first punch), she continues to lay the smackdown on the criminal while preaching morals to him, which causes him to have a change of heart (lol). The queen also regularly tells her brethren that they should coexist with humans, and even decides to start a petition to make her dream a reality. Her husband Neptune notes that his wife's dream is something that her ancestors have tried (and failed) to make a reality in the past, but chooses to leave her to her own devices, anyway.

-Many of the island's residents are skeptical of the queen's dream, including Jinbei. Interestingly, it's revealed that Otohime possesses Kenbunshoku Haki (aka Observation Haki/Mantra). It's also revealed that Jinbei was a soldier in the royal army. One day Arlong tries to take away the queen's petition, but Jinbei stops him. He says while he doesn't agree with the queen's views, he still respects her wishes. It's also revealed that he has a fair bit of animosity for Arlong (as he refers to him as trash). We then see Fisher Tiger, who's greatly revered on the island....

-We're told of the history of the fishman town. It was an orphanage at first, but after some time passed the place became derelict and ended up being populated by rogues. Tiger was originally the town's leader before becoming an adventurer, then was succeeded by Jinbei, who became a soldier, as noted earlier. Arlong, who was still a nasty bastard even back then, became a pirate. Even Macro is mentioned, who went on to become a kidnapper. While these characters all split their separate ways at first, Tiger's assault on the holy land of Mariejoa changed everything. Those who revered him refused to let him carry his burden alone, and so that's how the Sun pirates were formed. Both slaves and non-slaves alike had the sun tattoo branded onto them, and went on to sink any marine vessel that dared to challenge them......

.....Wow. This chapter is packed with info. We learn that the queen is actually pretty tough (though her body is weak), and it looks like Jinbei harbored some anti-human sentiments during that time, as well (there was actually a part of the summary I skipped where Jinbei is angry at the queen for wanting to befriend humans who make freeing slaves a crime). It's also mentioned that Shirahoshi was just born that year in the flashback, meaning she's 16 in the present (so she was only 6 when Decken targeted her.... yikes ). Otohime being a Haki user sounds pretty cool, too (and of course, this will inevitably lead to stronger "Shira for nakama" support, since a potential Haki user totally needs to join, amirite? ).

Definitely can't wait for the full chapter!

Edit: Ah yes, it should be noted that next week is a double issue, what with Golden Week approaching and all. That means the whole SJ lineup will go on break after next week (and frankly, they could use it, what with the all the misfortune Japan's been facing lately)......

Last edited by marvelB; 2011-04-13 at 03:17.
Old 2011-04-13, 02:20   Link #2
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Let's not forget her dodging a bullet before she assaults the burglar.
And apparently she's not very attractive looking.
Old 2011-04-13, 02:27   Link #3
valk0v

Nice chapter. It's full of info, do we see the attack on Mariejoa ? Fisher is such a bad boy, i like him already. Also can't wait to see more of the sun pirates, I hope that Arlong's crew was a small (and the weaker) section of the sun pirates, and beside Tiger and Jinbei, there are some big names too(like Hyouzoo for that matter).
marvelB nice resume man
Old 2011-04-13, 02:28   Link #4
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Let's not forget her dodging a bullet before she assaults the burglar.
And apparently she's not very attractive looking.

Ah yeah, nearly forgot about that detail. Heh, maybe Otohime knows mermaid Rokushiki or something?

Oh, and it looks like she has split fins, too (which means she's at least 30 by the time of the flashback). And if she's not very pretty, I hope this means she has more of a resemblance to Kokoro or Dadan instead of being another generic Nami/Robin clone......
Old 2011-04-13, 03:47   Link #5
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Just looked at the pics.
I think T was exaggerating her not being attractive, she's not that bad to look at.

..... although she does look kinda freakish.
Old 2011-04-13, 03:49   Link #6
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
If she's breaking her bones from punches.... then I can somewhat see WHY she died~

Glad to see we get some Young Arlong action~
Old 2011-04-13, 05:24   Link #7
kiak666

I think the biggest twist in this chapter is...

HOW THE HELL does Queen Otohime gave birth to Shirahoshi????!!!!!

I mean, even as an infant the princess is already dwarfing her mother as well as her older brothers in size!!!!
Old 2011-04-13, 07:20   Link #8
kakakka

About the queen, she looks skinny.

The last panel was an awesome pic of Sun Pirates in action.
Old 2011-04-13, 07:52   Link #9
marvelB

Hmmm.... the queen actually reminds me a little of Boa Sandersonia, looks-wise. Well, at least she's still one of Oda's more unique-looking female characters.

And yeah, I love how she's somehow able to give birth to such a huge baby despite her fragile body (in fact, I recall predicting something like this when Shira was introduced (her mother being smaller than her)). That last spread of the Sun pirates was badass, too. I hope we'll get introduced to some of the more prominent members who aren't part of Arlong/Macro's gang (this was even alluded to when Hody's crew mentioned there being no Sun pirate vets to stop them from taking over the island, after all)......
Old 2011-04-13, 09:17   Link #10
kakakka

To those who don't know the chapter's out.

I find the Queen's action the the reaction to it a bit cheesy, but I kind of laugh when she hit that snot kid and she cried and hugged him afterwards.

I also wonder what history the king was talking about when he though about the Fishman District.
Old 2011-04-13, 09:20   Link #11
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiak666 View Post

I mean, even as an infant the princess is already dwarfing her mother as well as her older brothers in size!!!!
Maybe Shirahoshi was actually born as an egg, and then grow up really fast during early years?

On another note, I know it's impossible, but i want Shirahoshi as Straw Hat's next crew mate. I always want a childish young girl who always admire Luffy on board. I just didn't expect that she will turn out to be that "big"
Old 2011-04-13, 09:48   Link #12
ChaosPaladin
Bringer of Order & Chaos

i also believe shirahoshi is born from an egg, it would be close to impossible for otohime to give birth to tt huge a baby given her weak body. her body would just fractured from the process.

something caught me by surprise is tt arlong telling jinbe to stop hitting the marine cos he is unconscious in the last page of the chapter. i tot arlong is more ruthless than jinbe, din expect to see this side of him
Old 2011-04-13, 10:39   Link #13
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Good chapter.

I feel quite conflicted about Otohime. On the one hand, her ideals are nice and all, and she is right that people shouldn't judge based on stereotypes, but on the other I hate people who preach morals, and I don't know if her ideals are actually backed by any rationality.

Interesting to see Jimbei was a soldier in Neptune's Army.
Old 2011-04-13, 10:44   Link #14
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Otohime was like a mother to the whole island rather than just her children. Definitely a monarch who loved her people. Her ability to use haki is quite handy with her fragile body too.

My god Shirahoshi was huge even as a baby. Kind of makes me wonder how mermaids/fishwomen give birth. Probably from eggs as stated above.

I'm guessing next chapter we'll skip ahead a few years and see the specifics of how Otohime was assasinated by Decken, or how Tiger was lead to his death. Whichever happened first.
Old 2011-04-13, 11:42   Link #15
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

so who is Marco again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiak666 View Post

eggs?
Old 2011-04-13, 13:19   Link #16
Slayerx

Ya didn't like how this chapter started out with otohime... that whole bit with her and that one buglar just felt WAY to heavy handed. Rest of the chapter after that though was entertaining enough though. I rather like otohime, and we also getting lots of young arlong, jinbei and seeing fisher tiger. Though on the downside we again did not actually get to see Tiger's rampage and are just told it happened.

Y'know one thing i couldn't help but note... chapter confirms that Shirahoshi is only 16-17 years old... and Decken's had his eye on marrying her for the past 10 years... yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
so who is Marco again?
Macro, was the leader of the trio of fishmen you tried to kidnap Camie
Old 2011-04-13, 13:19   Link #17
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Maybe Shirahoshi was actually born as an egg, and then grow up really fast during early years?
My guess on Shirahoshi is she was really small, same size as her brothers when born but given what kinda fish is, she just grew really really quickly, just like every baby does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
On another note, I know it's impossible, but i want Shirahoshi as Straw Hat's next crew mate. I always want a childish young girl who always admire Luffy on board. I just didn't expect that she will turn out to be that "big"
YAY! Nice to know others were thinking this!
Even tho it is very, very, very unlikely to happen, I also wish for Shirahoshi to join the crew as well.
I just her curious playful nature when she first met Luffy and was wondering why he had such big cheeks, it was just super adorable.

Very interesting chapter, I was particularly intersted in finding out more about Jinbei's story. Didn't occur to me at all that he was in the royal army.
Old 2011-04-13, 13:22   Link #18
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

Jinbei from back then with the pipe takes badasserification to the NEXT LEVEL. Wanted to see him punch around Arlong for a bit though.
Old 2011-04-13, 13:24   Link #19
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
so who is Marco again?
Main antagonist of the Hachi's mini-story.

He traded a map leading to the takoyaki sauce against Hachi's friend Keimi. Hachi agreed, but only found a squid. He felt he got screwed, so he came back, beat up Macro and his crew and freed Keimi.
Hachi spared Macro after Macro said the map was legit and that the takoyaki sauce was inside the squid. Then he moved on to open his takoyaki stall.

Macro never gave up on trying to capture Keimi and his his gang ended up allying itself with Duval after many failures.

In short, he is more or less to Arlong, Jimbei and Tiger what Buggy is to Shanks, Rayleigh or Roger : A small fry who has lived with the big boys for a while.

Last edited by Rahan; 2011-04-13 at 13:42.
Old 2011-04-13, 13:40   Link #20
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

You know the one thing I don't get here about Macro is if the others knew about his kidnapping I would have thought they would have strung him up by his feet.
Even if they were pirates, Tiger went to free slaves so having someone that put his own kind into the slave trade around seems really odd unless they didn't know but that seems a little unlikely but for now i have to go with the rest didn't know about his dealings.
In a way he seems like he is alot smarter than he first seems for being able to keep up that business for 10+ years.