AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-10, 14:12   Link #181
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

For some reason, I read it as "Girls und Pantsu" instead of the original title.

Dyslexia and perversion mixed isn't a good thing.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 15:48   Link #182
Zeross

don't want to read the thread yet because i don't want to spoil myself, but i want to know before viewing it : how is this show compared to so ra no wo to ?
Old 2012-10-10, 15:51   Link #183
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

Operate a tank and become a great wife!

Didn't expect much from this show but I quite like what I watched even though there wasn't much tank battle going on. The carrier at the end was interesting.

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon
Kaihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 17:15   Link #184
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaihan View Post
Operate a tank and become a great wife!
The most ridiculous line I ever heard in an anime this season.

I forgot to note that during the fight scene in the opening... Why the hell is she not entered the tank and just stand there out? She want to get her head off???
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 18:04   Link #185
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
For some reason, I read it as "Girls und Pantsu" instead of the original title.
I think that that title has already been taken by Strike Witches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeross View Post
don't want to read the thread yet because i don't want to spoil myself, but i want to know before viewing it : how is this show compared to so ra no wo to ?
I've only watched the first couple of episodes of Sora no Woto, but this show doesn't seem to be anything like it. Instead of being in the military, the girls are piloting tanks as part of a club, and they have tank battle competitions. It feels very much like Saki or Bamboo Blade. The weird premise is the main draw so far as the characters aren't all that interesting. Hopefully this will change as we get introduced to more characters - there should be a bit over 20 characters inside just the club's five tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
The most ridiculous line I ever heard in an anime this season.

I forgot to note that during the fight scene in the opening... Why the hell is she not entered the tank and just stand there out? She want to get her head off???
That combat part was silly for all sorts of reasons, but there is a reason for peeking out of the cupola. Buttoned up inside a tank, the crew has much lower situational awareness because they're reduced to just looking through the vision slits. So outside of combat, a good tank commander will usually pop their head out for a good look. The driver will do that as well if they're going over tricky terrain. If the British tanks had done that, they'd have caught our protagonists out of position and probably have slaughtered them with ease.

If this show progresses the way I think it will, they should be explaining all the mechanics of tank combat.
Old 2012-10-10, 18:09   Link #186
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I have to admit - My mind is blown after watching this.

It seems so simple, yet it's insanely creative. They've actually created this bizarre fictional world where controlling panzers is considered the heights of feminine achievement (so much so that guys seem to be expected to not ride tanks). Then, for no apparent reason, this entire small town is located on the back of a giant cruise-ship out in the middle of the ocean!

I mean... wow, this show is like something somebody literally dreamed up after a total acid-trip! Probably an acid-trip combined with watching a WWII documentary just before watching Saki.

I'm amazed how much they're playing this straight too. No real ecchi to speak of, after I thought this show would simply be about combining fanservice with explosions (this being the "panzer" contribution to "Girls und Panzer").

I'm not sure how much the trippy novelty of this show will last for me, but while it does, it's an entertaining watch!
Old 2012-10-10, 18:12   Link #187
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
That combat part was silly for all sorts of reasons, but there is a reason for peeking out of the cupola. Buttoned up inside a tank, the crew has much lower situational awareness because they're reduced to just looking through the vision slits. So outside of combat, a good tank commander will usually pop their head out for a good look. The driver will do that as well if they're going over tricky terrain.
For a good look its ok.. But during intense, continues, chasing, skirmishes.... Nah....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 20:06   Link #188
X207
Gamyūsa

i havent formed any impression on this series yet but im willing to give it a try. its a bit hard when the German words come in as i neeed to pay attention to the Japanese vocals to mentally translate but i get the drift most of the timw. the concept of the backstory is a bit farfetchd but there's been more arbitrary series ive seen that were much worse.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 21:10   Link #189
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... was kinda surprised by ep 1. Not as "bad" as I thought it could be - in fact, part of me was kinda "charmed" in a way by the first ep. Yes - the concept is "absurd", but not enough to bother me.

I will keep giving this one a try for now!
Old 2012-10-10, 21:28   Link #190
jwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
That combat part was silly for all sorts of reasons
Never mind that neither the Churchill or Matildas would have enough top speed to engage in a serious chase with a PzIV. Both were designed as infantry support, and only to be as fast as foot infantry.

Also, firing while moving at full tilt is quite inaccurate.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 21:31   Link #191
Insane
Banned

Haven’t watched strike witches or upotte but they seem awfully cheerful (not to mention pink tanks) in contrast with the realities of war. I wonder if its simply all war games (just like Dog Days). Little girls getting blown to bits would kind of put a damper on things.

Perhaps it would be quite interesting if they had a Madoka like transformation.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 22:00   Link #192
Marina2

I checked the first ch. of manga and I'm quite confuse. It seems in the manga the main girl is a grey hair girl who briefly appear in the first ep. Miho in manga looks more like she's supporting character.

Not that I don't like it
Old 2012-10-10, 22:30   Link #193
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Welp, as far as first proper forays into watching anime instead of reading manga go, I think this is a good bridge before I get into other series.

That said, I'm suddenly quite glad I took German in highschool, but I really have to ask why they didn't go full-out with English subs since I'm pretty certain the characters don't use any German at all.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 23:04   Link #194
Midonin
Last Engage

Girls & Tanks 01 - Welcome to the Battlezone

My interest in military weapons and stuff still remains at a low level, but I've watched quite a few shows of these shows regardless, each of them attacking from a different angle. So Ra no Wo To was more about the atmosphere and meditations on the end of the world. Upotte! relied more on trivia and the quirks of the anthropomorphization. Strike Witches was very similar to this in tone, but combat in the air is far more agile and swift than combat on the ground. Like the difference between an Arwing and a Landmaster. (So my military knowledge comes from Starfox.)

In terms of setting, oddly, the biggest comparison that comes to mind is Lime-iro Senkitan, but it's in the modern day and there's no magical powers. Also no Rasputin. So while it's like all of the abovementioned series, it's also unlike all of them. And since I know nothing about military stuff, the strength of these shows for me is going to rely on character interactions. And since the girls here are 100% human (one of the things that made never able to fully invest in Upotte!, as fun as it was), I don't think that'll be a problem.

The mock educational film in the middle was great. It's not very often anime does that sort of thing.

Little details, like Miho's room full of teddy bears, gave the characters some life in their first episode, and the student council's interactions were enjoyable to watch. They're manipulative, but for the right reasons. With Miho's backstory, I can see where the Saki comparisons are coming from. I can find myself getting fully invested in this premise without a problem. The OP sounded pretty nice, and I'm looking forward to hearing the ED.

Since I watch the simulcast, I have a feeling I'm going to be late to the party every week. But I don't mind. It's worth the wait.

Last edited by Midonin; 2012-10-10 at 23:21.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 01:49   Link #195
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

This episode was better than I expected. The opening scene was a joy to watch, with neatly integrated traditional animation and CGI. I hope that the tank battles later in the series will live up to it. The rest of the episode was fairly standard, but the chemistry between the three main girls was surprisingly fun to watch.

My main problem is the depiction of the student council. Not only was it overly powerful like anime likes to do all the time, but its members came off as extremely selfish and jerkish. Knowing that those pieces of despicable trash will be recurring characters makes me fear for my later enjoyment of this anime.

Cautiously looking forward to more.

Edit: Also, look for Crunchyroll subs if you don't want German everywhere.

Last edited by Tempester; 2012-10-11 at 02:00.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 03:05   Link #196
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShocktrooper View Post
Welp, as far as first proper forays into watching anime instead of reading manga go, I think this is a good bridge before I get into other series.

That said, I'm suddenly quite glad I took German in highschool, but I really have to ask why they didn't go full-out with English subs since I'm pretty certain the characters don't use any German at all.
Aside from "Panzer" in the title, not one single German word is used.

Plus, some of the German just sounds weird. Like "Panzerfahren" for "Sensha-do" (the Way of the Tank), at least they should make it something like "Panzerkunst" (the Art of Panzers). Or better yet, just get rid of the German in the subs since there is no German in the series.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 03:53   Link #197
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I'm pretty suere sensha-do is supposed to be Panzerkraft (Tankcraft).

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 04:02   Link #198
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

The subbers I used turned it into Tankwando. Whether that's an improvement over the alternatives is probably debatable. I must admit that it's a clever find, though.

This first episode was tamer than I expected it to be. I guess I've become too used to 'girls with weapons' shows like Strike Witches and Upotte!, that I somehow expect every anime like this to feature lots of pantyshots and/or nudity. Not that I mind the lack of ecchi, just sayin'.

Absurdly Powerful Student Council, check. I found it quite weak that they resorted to pure threats to have Miho's friends expelled if she didn't sign up for the class. I don't care if their intentions are supposed to be good, this is just dirty and low.
Old 2012-10-11, 08:22   Link #199
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched episode 1 today.
The characters are likeable, and the tank action is ok.

The german used in the subs gives a weird feeling, but I got used to it rather quickly.
Going to watch the rest of this for sure.

EDIT: I was wondering. Are the tanks used in this anime, copied from real tanks?
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 09:01   Link #200
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
EDIT: I was wondering. Are the tanks used in this anime, copied from real tanks?
yes, they are.

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks