AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Negima

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-16, 21:56   Link #21
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Then at some point it isn't Negima. That reminds me of a story arc in the British live-action series "As Time Goes By" where the male lead is having his autobiography adapted by Hollywood --- at the first meeting the story is completely transmogifried in the first five minutes.

I think Eva is key to any story about Negima that remains Negima.

2-H Dragon's picture shows how each girl can be very individualistic... yet difficult for people not used to large groups of asians to identify one from another.

Example: My japanese wife (4'11 with butt-length hair) got mistaken for a coworker who is 5'5 short-haired Taiwanese the other day by a visiting tech manager from Chicago. He had spent nearly an hour with the other worker earlier. Wife drilled a few skewers of embarrassment into him.
Old 2007-04-06, 02:06   Link #22
dspr8_rugged
GN-001 Gundam Exia

You know what? I was just thinking about this earlier this morning.

First of all, the production will be REALLY EXPENSIVE. For starters, looking for 31 Japanese girls for the class, as well as other actors and actresses for a whole lot of other characters. Not to forget what people say about CG being the essential key to this series. Just imagine how much the whole production will cost!

Next will be the story. I doubt it's going to follow the original manga storyline, and like most live actions, an original one will be created, which I wouldn't mind. Although how it plays out will be a different thing.

Simply put, it would be a totally impossible to pull-off a live action Negima series... or we'll be seeing a terribly cheap production if it really pushes through.

It will be possible if it's a Love Hina live action...
Old 2007-05-18, 19:43   Link #23
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANN
Negima! Live-Action Confirmed by Creator Ken Akamatsu
Manga creator Ken Akamatsu’s May 18 blog entry has confirmed reports that a live-action adaptation of Negima! Magister Negi Magi is in the works. He previously hinted at a “big surprise announcement coming in April” in a February 27 blog entry. Japanese fans then found a March 13 entry in actress Ai Tanimoto’s blog (since deleted) that said a live-action Negima! adaptation will broadcast next year. Akamatsu says Weekly Shōnen Magazine had planned to make the announcement in issue #25 of 2007, on sale May 23. He also discusses the overwhelming experience of casting 31 “3D” girls for the story’s all-female class. Source: Moon Phase
I'll continue the trend:

OTL OTL OTL OTL OTL OTL OTL

Old 2007-05-18, 19:54   Link #24
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You know... having seen the Transformers movie previews I've decided that just might accidently work as a live-action movie? Somehow I don't think this is going to have the budget to pull that off ... much less find women who look the part AND can pull off stuntwork. This just says TRAINWRECK so many different ways --- odds are they're going to totally focus on the "drama".
(argh)
Old 2007-05-19, 14:24   Link #25
Jubei_Asaemon

Seeing as the Negima franchise has been (un)successfully adapted twice already, I am left to wonder does the series popularity in Japan really warrant this?

I just don't see how this can be pulled off, the story concept is absurd as a manga to begin with and cannot be faithfully reproduced in a live action (how are they going to portray the gigantic campus-city-prefecture???).
However i'm sure i'll enjoy this, in that so bad its good way. (wait nevermind "thinks of sailor moon live action")
Old 2007-05-19, 19:33   Link #26
sasuke13
Jyuunana Bunkatsu

Send a message via AIM to sasuke13
NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOO Keep it UN liveee!!!! T_T The colored hair rox!!!! The spell circles rox! The double-eye-color Asuna rox! Nodoka, herself, rox! Fast action swordplay from Setsuna rox! That "Aniki!!" dude rox!! (sorta..) T_T****
Old 2007-05-19, 23:40   Link #27
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Without a "Harry Potter" epic budget, you're right --- it'll be fluffy toast.
Old 2007-05-20, 00:23   Link #28
Child_of_Sierra

I think they would mellow out a lot of things. Negi probably would still have magic but that subplot would be overshadowed by his interactions with his students in a "normal" school setting. Much like what the first chapters of negima was before the Eva arc.

The show can probably pull off a decent story if it just explored the interesting notion of a 10 year old teacher and how he deals with 30 odd female students older than him. I find potential in this cause we can finally see character development for the less magically inclined girls. This would also solve the problem of cheezy over the top CGI.
Old 2007-05-20, 23:07   Link #29
Frostsaber
can't hit me :P

I think their real problem is the CG and the 31 girls............
Old 2007-05-22, 12:11   Link #30
Maritime
Oceanic

I think that this is a pretty bold move and will be a massive undertaking for any company, although my initial thoughts are that that it'll probably be a horrible disaster I'd still like to see it for the sake of curiosity.
Old 2007-05-30, 18:07   Link #31
phantom_ryder

omg... if they kept the class as it is... that's 31 ridiculously high girls running around a film set lol. Good luck Mr. Director!
Old 2007-06-12, 11:21   Link #32
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen.

Having spent a good 3 weeks now in Tokyo, I have observed that the ethnicity problem of casting characters like Mana, Eva and the Class Rep (who is actually half-caucasian) is not that big a problem.

There`s actually a sizable population of Caucasian (and Hispanic, like Mana) kids as Japanese citizens, and yes, ones who have lived so long in Japan (if not their whole lives) that they can barely speak a word of English (like poor Tina Foster of Ai Yori Aoshi) but splendid Japanese do exist also.

The only obstacle, naturally, is parental consent, as western parents tend to fly off the handles much easier due to their conservatism.

Not to mention the greatest obstacle of all: Finding a white 10 year old boy and girl who can speak fluent Japanese (almost non-existent) and having the latter act like a provocative seductress without HER parents flying off the handle. If she is American, forget it; this is a nation that makes Jodie foster get a body double for harmless CLOTHED shots when she played a child-prostitute in Taxi Driver.

Now onto some positives.

One aspect independent of CGI that can be done decently, if not wonderfully, is the Martial Arts Choreography.

Though a legion of genius choreographers is only a 2 hour flight away from Japan, from my good old-homeland Taiwan, here are a few that will DEFINITELY cost less than Mega-Computer-Generated Graphics, and can potentially save the show.

Hand To Hand Combat:

Master Yuen Woo Ping (Drunken Master, Once Upon A Time In China 1 and 2, Fist Of Legend The Matrix Kill Bill, Kung Fu Hustle, Iron Monkey, Unleashed, Fearless.)

Corey Yuen (Romeo Must Die, Kiss Of The Dragon, The One, X-Men)

Master Of The Sword

Nick Gillard (Indiana Jones Saga, Young Indiana Jones, The Phantom Menace, Attack Of The Clones, Revenge Of THe Sith)

Nicholas Powell (Braveheart, The Mummy, Gladiator)

Sonny Chiba (Kill Bill)

Master Yamazaki Kiyoshi (Conan The Barbarian)

Master Rob Anderson (A New Hope, Highlander, Lord Of The Rings)

Master Yuen Woo Ping (Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon)

Next List Will Be Musicians That Can Help This Series.

A`ve A Good One Everybody!!

Ronin Out.
Old 2007-06-25, 02:36   Link #33
aesculapius

death note live action was great... negima..... this isn't going to work.
Old 2007-06-30, 10:44   Link #34
Question
Crossdresser

Apparently this is the cast for the live action movie.

I cant find evangeline in that pic, which is problematic because shes easily the most recognizable female character in Negima and none of the photos in that picture scream "THIS IS EVANGELINE!". Infact i cant see any dark skinned girls in that photo either for the part of Ku or Mana.

Also, 50 bucks on Negi Springfield, kid teacher from wales being a japanese kid with black hair and unable to speak a single english sentence to save his life.

Edit : According to someone else, this is the placing of the actors :

From left to right:
Ayaka Chisame Chizuru Sakurako Konoka Misora Ako Sayo

Satsuki Evangeline Fuuka Mana Haruna Chachamaru Akira Yuuna

Zazie Nodoka Fumika Chao Setsuna Madoka Misa Asakura

Natsumi Satomi Kaede Makie KuFei Asuna Yue

If that is true i really dont know what to say. Why is Asakura british?
Old 2007-06-30, 22:00   Link #35
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

(steeling myself for a complete disaster....)
comparing the names with the faces.... I can only hope there's some makeup we aren't seeing yet. But I'm figuring that by the time it airs it won't resemble any sort of thing we'd recognize as Negima outside of the name and perhaps the idea of a young wizard teaching a class of apparent mundanes.
Old 2007-06-30, 23:10   Link #36
Child_of_Sierra

So its a movie? Not a series? That picture is so badly taken its hard to see properly let alone judge the casting. If anything at least the producers are making an effort to fill the entire class instead of totally revamping the series to have a smaller set of girls.
Old 2007-07-01, 12:40   Link #37
Question
Crossdresser

More like Akatmasu has the clout to insist on full class of 31 girls so he can pick 31 girls to play characters that he created.
Old 2007-07-02, 08:51   Link #38
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

That is actually the famous "Akiba 48", a group of 48 teen idols who take turns performing onstage at Akihabara.

In other words, yeah, this is a tooled up job.
Old 2007-07-03, 04:08   Link #39
Question
Crossdresser

I dont see 48 pictures anywhere?
Old 2007-07-03, 06:25   Link #40
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Oh, the person who doctored this up just picked the 31 prettiest.
Closed Thread