Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-11-22, 09:11   Link #61
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
BTW, Quarkboy. Are you involved as a translator in this thing?
Well, I've been following the show as it airs on TV, actually. And I'm always one to support legal Mahou Shoujo in any way I can.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-22, 09:11   Link #62
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Well they said they'd remove all user uploaded content, which would include all the asian drama stuff.
Well, that is kind of embarrassing, i actaully read that article 5min before typing my post and already forgotten most of the stuff ^^
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-22, 09:50   Link #63
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Well, I've been following the show as it airs on TV, actually. And I'm always one to support legal Mahou Shoujo in any way I can.
I see.

But BTW I was talking about the crunshyroll move in general, not Shugo Chara in particular. I would never adress an anime as "this thing". Except, ... no not even Naruto.
Old 2008-11-22, 13:01   Link #64
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
And I'm always one to support legal Mahou Shoujo in any way I can.
That could be taken ... so many ways.
Old 2008-11-22, 17:00   Link #65
KrebMarkt
Never do well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
That could be taken ... so many ways.
Vexx....

Back the CR deal.
They will have to remove an insane proportion of their videos.
I have a lot of fun teasing people uploading new subbed contents on it as that will be on CR just for 30-40 days at the most.
I just hope CR wont offer just ham bones.
KrebMarkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-23, 02:03   Link #66
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Thanks god for German Servers
Old 2008-11-23, 05:22   Link #67
mako1138
tsun tsun dere dere

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrebMarkt View Post
I just hate any form of monopole.
Just like the universe itself...

FYI: This is a theoretical physicist joke utilizing your typo that hardly anyone on this forum could understand...
Magnetic, yes. Electric, no.
mako1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-23, 08:55   Link #68
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Personally, the biggest thing I worry about with this is quality... I'm all for legal anime streaming/download especially shortly after it airs in japan, but quality, especially if they plan to charge, is a VERY big thing here.... especially if they go major with this and get even more series. I've never even heard of the site before this since I normally stay away from streaming sites due to (generally) poor quality and watching all my anime on a PC hooked up my HDTV. So streaming sites just normally don't look that good on that... and what little I viewed on the site rq just to see quality didn't look to good even on my PC monitor. I suppose I can sort of understnad that with fansubs which have already been encoded, compressed, etc... but now with them getting the stuff (supposedly) right from the broadcaster they better have good quality and/or an option to download it. And thats not even counting the unknown sub quality right now...

Edit: and of course what about the episodes that air between now and Jan when they are going to start the streaming? It's now "licensed" so animesuki isn't going to list torrents, and groups are going to stop subbing it...

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate

Last edited by Cynor; 2008-11-23 at 09:09.
Cynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-23, 10:02   Link #69
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynor View Post
Edit: and of course what about the episodes that air between now and Jan when they are going to start the streaming? It's now "licensed" so animesuki isn't going to list torrents, and groups are going to stop subbing it...
Crunchyroll would be making a big mistake if it neglected the older episodes from these shows. If they just start streaming the episodes from Jan and don't upload versions of the earlier episodes in the series they immediately cut off any new viewers who might want to see the show from the beginning.

Viz already announced with naruto that they'd be uploading earlier episodes of Shippuden, 8 per week, until they caught up with the airing, so I would hope Crunchyroll is considering something similar for the other shows they are doing.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2008-11-23, 15:21   Link #70
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Personally, the biggest thing I worry about with this is quality... I'm all for legal anime streaming/download especially shortly after it airs in japan, but quality, especially if they plan to charge, is a VERY big thing here.... especially if they go major with this and get even more series. I've never even heard of the site before this since I normally stay away from streaming sites due to (generally) poor quality and watching all my anime on a PC hooked up my HDTV. So streaming sites just normally don't look that good on that... and what little I viewed on the site rq just to see quality didn't look to good even on my PC monitor. I suppose I can sort of understnad that with fansubs which have already been encoded, compressed, etc... but now with them getting the stuff (supposedly) right from the broadcaster they better have good quality and/or an option to download it. And thats not even counting the unknown sub quality right now...

Quality I feel is going to suck at first. It'll suck more to some. Others, probably won't even notice the suck at all. Some of "them" will listen, and others will not. How this will evolve, will depend on what the true goal ahead is sought. And we all wear checkered flag underwear.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-23, 19:52   Link #71
strategos

Will the series getting on stream will ever see the daylight of DVDS releases? I've never been a fan of crunchyroll.

http://www.viz.com/apps
http://www.hulu.com
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-23, 21:24   Link #72
Ryusiangel

yes they better get dvds, and you have to pay for it to watch it 1 hr after the airing, i really do hope some fansubbers will still sub or either we get dvds in the near future i have a feeling that some series i watch won't even get dvds
Old 2008-11-23, 21:56   Link #73
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryusiangel View Post
yes they better get dvds, and you have to pay for it to watch it 1 hr after the airing, i really do hope some fansubbers will still sub or either we get dvds in the near future i have a feeling that some series i watch won't even get dvds
You wouldn't be too far off the mark I bet. The only titles that are getting R1 DVDs are those with R1 distributors attached. So that means just Shikabane Hime: Aka (not on CR) and Naruto Shippuden.
Old 2008-11-24, 19:30   Link #74
strategos

I doubt that Gintama will ever see the light of DVDS. My guees that Skip beat will also follow the same patch. It's a real shame. And to top it all. How long will this episodes last on Crunchy roll? Seriously, I dont like much the idea of having Crunchy roll putting "sub" anime. I would have preffer something like what Viz is doing. Viz is planning on showing the new episodes of NAruto after Jan 15. One week after it airs. Which means that we will also get the DVDS. WOuld be nice if the liscense company would do this with almost all their series they plan on liscense.

I think it's kind of late for Gintama to be show like this. It's going on the 100 + episodes.

http://www.viz.com/apps
http://www.hulu.com
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 02:08   Link #75
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strategos View Post
I doubt that Gintama will ever see the light of DVDS. My guees that Skip beat will also follow the same patch. It's a real shame. And to top it all. How long will this episodes last on Crunchy roll? Seriously, I dont like much the idea of having Crunchy roll putting "sub" anime. I would have preffer something like what Viz is doing. Viz is planning on showing the new episodes of NAruto after Jan 15. One week after it airs. Which means that we will also get the DVDS. WOuld be nice if the liscense company would do this with almost all their series they plan on liscense.

I think it's kind of late for Gintama to be show like this. It's going on the 100 + episodes.
Well from a Japanese company's perspective, for these long shows like Gintama there's serious problems.

Even if they could be "the next naruto", without a TV broadcast there simply aren't enough DVD sales to make licensing such a long series worth it for any of the remaining R1 licensors. So they're faced with doing nothing with these shows or making what little revenue they can off of them.
I think the strategy for a show like Gintama is to put it up streaming, hopefully make some money off the streaming ads or monthly subscription fees or pay downloads, and if the show takes off in popularity that way sell the DVD rights to someone if the opportunity presents itself.
If they push too hard, for example, and try and release DVDs for every show they stream themselves or by paying someone to produce them, they'll only lose money. By streaming like this they can hopefully identify the winners and losers better.

It's not like the streaming will cannabilize DVD sales any more than fansubs already do/did, so they aren't really losing anything. In fact, it may well help DVDs sales for shows that were streamed in real time, since people would be less likely to archive the streams like they do fansubs.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2008-11-25, 14:07   Link #76
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Well, I don't use CR much anyway. I just torrent and then delete the stuff after I watch it. Unless it's such a good show that I plan to rewatch it in the future, but that doesn't happen too often. Naruto I'll be looking at after January 15, 2009 (*possibly*). But until then, I don't use CR anyway.
Old 2008-11-25, 14:22   Link #77
Irkalla
I asked for this

They are going to delete all the fansubs there? Noooooooo, I have so many on my watchlist XD
Old 2008-11-25, 19:22   Link #78
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Quote:
Crunchyroll would be making a big mistake if it neglected the older episodes from these shows. If they just start streaming the episodes from Jan and don't upload versions of the earlier episodes in the series they immediately cut off any new viewers who might want to see the show from the beginning.

Viz already announced with naruto that they'd be uploading earlier episodes of Shippuden, 8 per week, until they caught up with the airing, so I would hope Crunchyroll is considering something similar for the other shows they are doing.
One can certainly hope, since it really would be stupid to neglect not only the ones airing currently but also the older episodes too. On the plus side it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to do since whatever 3rd party company they are getting to do the subs seems like it'll have access to the scripts for the show to get the subs out 1hr after broadcast. But with banning all fansubs they better be careful not to just rip subs off from the groups doing it already (or hide it very well) since that would cause a huge uprising and probably ruin this whole thing...

hmmm... I wonder if that would really be so bad actually >_>

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate
Cynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 07:51   Link #79
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
One can certainly hope, since it really would be stupid to neglect not only the ones airing currently but also the older episodes too. On the plus side it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to do since whatever 3rd party company they are getting to do the subs seems like it'll have access to the scripts for the show to get the subs out 1hr after broadcast. But with banning all fansubs they better be careful not to just rip subs off from the groups doing it already (or hide it very well) since that would cause a huge uprising and probably ruin this whole thing...

hmmm... I wonder if that would really be so bad actually >_>
Yeah, I sure hope they realize that just ripping off fansub scripts (or even using them with permission, actually) would be a giant PR nightmare.

Crunchyroll already has image issues (to put it lightly) with both spectrums of anime fans out there, and if they blatantly use old fansub scripts for their official releases, even if those scripts are perfect... it won't matter.
It'll piss off both ends of the spectrum: The seriously anti-fansub R1 DVD only people will make a fuss because the practice would legitimize those fansubber's work, and the seriously anti-DVD people would be angry that CR is making money off of what should be free fansubs.

Oh, and it'd surely piss off TV Tokyo.

In any case CR is not that stupid to realize that simply using fansub scripts that have already been made is suicidal. (right?)
Sam Pinansky
Old 2008-11-27, 02:27   Link #80
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Send a message via AIM to WolfCoder Send a message via MSN to WolfCoder Send a message via Yahoo to WolfCoder
At least some Anime company in this insane world is thinking with their head screwed on just right.
WolfCoder is offline   Reply With Quote