AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-12, 02:57   Link #1
retroborg

Macross II - Lovers Again Discussion Thread

I watched Macross II Movie (DVD) and I must say it was a fantastic film, a true masterpiece!

Here are my thoughts and feelings about the film.

It featured everything a self respecting Anime should deliver.
Awesome animation, epic intergalactic battles, a dramatic / sad story line / plot and a fantastic sound track.

The voice acting in both the US & Japanese versions were very well performed, but my favorite factor in the film was its music.

When Hibiki takes Ishtar to the Moon festival and they listen to Wendy’s Love Song for the first time, with all the fans cheering inside the amphitheatre under the glass dome and the flagship Gloria in orbit, was my favorite moment by far!
I love Lady Ishtar’s ecstatic expressions of joy and happiness. She then reveals her wish to Hibiki, which was to sing the song of love to her own people and bring them peace.

Later on, another very dramatic and shocking moment was when Ishtar starts singing the song of love at the Alus Nova chamber inside the alien flagship, (Sarride) bringing confusion to the Zendraedi soldiers. The outraged Emperor then orders the executioner death ship to cleanse the polluted flagship by blasting it with its laser beams.

Lord Feff and Lady Ishtar, manage to fly out of the doomed flagship inside a battle Mech, just in the brink of time!
As they watch the large nuclear explosion of the Sarride from afar, Ishtar cries for the loss of lady Elensh, but Lord Feff replies:

Quote:
“Behold, Ishtar…This is the will of Ingues, lord emperor of the Mardook. And this is the result of what you have done!”
The order given by the Emperor to his soldiers is equally dramatic (And very Japanese in style if I may say so)

Quote:
"Soldiers sworn to the Mardook discipline… In the name of our culture, crush these arrogant vermin!
In this universe nothing exists which can overpower us!
Therefore, resisting our conquest is impossible.
In the name of the Mardook, destroy!"
The final battle between the U.N Spacey forces and the Mardook fleet is one of the best in any Macross / Robotech film.
The music used for the battle scene is just perfect, as you watch the ships mobilizing for the imminent battle to come!
The two huge fleets engage in a devastating clash, in close proximity to the moon’s orbit.
At first impression, it would seem that the earth’s fleet gains the upper hand by wiping out 60% of the Mardook fleet in a single blow after using four Macross cannons, but all of a sudden, a huge wave of enemy ships de-folds and begins hammering the outnumbered earth fleet with a devastating laser storm!
The entire fleet, the Macross Cannons & the Gloria Flagship it self are destroyed!

What’s interesting is that the Earth side fleets, in all the battles that take place in the film; consist almost primarily of old Zendraedi style battle cruisers also seen in the older Macross DYRL film & the Robotech series.

An apocalyptic dialogue that reveals the true feelings of Lord Feff for Lady Ishtar, takes place at the hangar of the Mardook command ship.
Lord Feff releases Ishtar, but before she leaves, he tells her:

Quote:
"I know no other life but one of a proud Mardook soldier, in service to lord Emperor Ingues.
I will only cease fighting at my death.
Ishtar you must leave now before I regain my senses.
And remember what is my sworn duty. To the Mardook you died by my hand.
No one will know my failure that I dare to love above my people."
Finally, at the earth’s siege, in the last decisive battle over the scourged earth landscape, Ishtar sings the song of hope and sends to everyone the gentleness of her own heart and saves her people from the dictator.

I find Wendy Ryder’s love song (Japanese) (At the Moon festival) better than Minmay’s “Do you Remember Love” song from Macross DYRL and superior to the English translated version “We Will Win” song, from Harmony’s Gold Robotech series imo.
Same goes for “The Hush of Two Hundred Million Years” intro song (Japanese) compared to Macross DYRL & Robotech intros imo.

Overall, Macross II is definitely one of the best Anime films and should be placed in the hall of all time classics!

Lady Ishtar

Macross VF:

Lord Feff and Lady Ishtar at the Hangar:

Lord Emperor Ingues

Lady Ishtar Concept Art.

SDF-1 Fortress

A few nice Wallpapers / Flyers:

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/2453/ishtari4wo.jpg
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/2...ross53b4eh.jpg
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/577...lue10249ke.jpg
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7007/ishtar14oy.jpg
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/6...ross11b2jn.jpg
retroborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 03:03   Link #2
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

you know, its just to close to the orginal that i couldnt grow fond of it.

the emphasis on singing was in the right direction though.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-10, 01:10   Link #3
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
I thought it was a very good side series if you didn't try and throw it in with the original saga. Having grown up with Macross for the past 20 years, I felt it paid homeage in it's own way from a different perspective(that of a reporter/pilot).
Old 2012-05-08, 17:05   Link #4
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ro-passes-away

Thanks for the memories, of love triangles, great dogfights and homing missiles, sir.

*21 Gun Salute And Taps*
I finally had a chance to watch Macross II: Lovers Again which someone release in his memory. This was the one series I had always known about but had never seen before. Thank you.

Endless "Tribute" Soul

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-05-14 at 15:59. Reason: Added quote for context.
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 07:43   Link #5
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

^
It wasn't done by Kawamori, so it technically wasn't counted as a Macross. Plus, it DID fall apart in the plot category and the mecha wasn't as good. It was made soon after he stated he wouldn't make a sequel. Who knew he would?
Old 2012-05-11, 22:21   Link #6
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I watched that for like fifteen minutes and turned it off. It was bad and I couldn't see it getting any better.
Old 2012-05-13, 14:33   Link #7
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Agreed, nowhere near as good as the original, most sequels never are. However I'm glad I watched it as it made my understanding of the Macross universe even more complete, even though this story line was dropped.
Old 2012-05-14, 11:50   Link #8
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

To give Macross II some credit, it did have some pretty nifty space-fight scenes. In fact, one of the best in that decade.

And then there were the Emulators, whose eerie vocals also made them some of the creepiest fighting sequences ever.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2012-10-24 at 02:37.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 01:53   Link #9
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

I have to agree with everyone above about this side story. It gave me a Gundam Zeta familiar feeling to it in a way that UN Spacey is becoming corrupted and complacent with the status quo and the tone is more darker than the easy going pace of SDF. Ishtar and all the Emulators were hot and I was digging their sense of fashion.

Now on a more serious note to my fellow marathoners:
If your marathoning through the franchise and your going in chronological order then this OVA will be last, because it takes place 30 years after Frontier. However, bear in mind that is this a parallel universe don't be surprised if there's no mention of space colonization, because of the alternate retelling of the story in DYRL, humanity stayed in the solar system and space colonization never happened and that Macross II isn't considered canon by Studio Nue. If your going by air date, like me, feel free watch it anytime after SDF or Plus, but before 7. Reason is the changes in animation will throw your eyes for a loop, since Macross II was made in '92 and 7 in '95, but the changes are very apparent even though its only 3 years. Other than that happy marathoning!

Also, some people stay that your better off skipping this OVA, but if your a franchise marathoner then it's our duty to watch EVERYTHING in the franchise, even the bad apples too.

Last edited by Jmac; 2012-10-24 at 02:03.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 02:46   Link #10
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
I have to agree with everyone above about this side story. It gave me a Gundam Zeta familiar feeling to it in a way that UN Spacey is becoming corrupted and complacent with the status quo and the tone is more darker than the easy going pace of SDF.
Macross II also had the best final stand I've seen in Macross yet. Well... to be fair, its the only final stand in Macross

That being said, the Federation in Z & ZZ wanted control over things they simply cannot control. The colonies adheres to the Federation, but only in name. Unfortunately, the latter cannot accept that as fact, and continue with their overreaching policies. No wonder the Fed-Zeon conflict would last until UC 100s while paving the way to other resistance movements in the future. If we go by Gaia-Gear, the Fed-Zeon movement did not end until UC 200s (and guess who go the last laugh?).

No wonder in the official timeline, after the events depicted in VFX-2, the NUNS just let it go. All present and future colonies were declared independent and part of a voluntary association.

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote