Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-03-23, 16:48   Link #41
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
I don't think it's not much hated, but MAN Black Rock Shooter drowned in its own angst it ended up being unintentionally hilarious (while still being pretty gay).

I just hope this WIXOSS doesn't fall in the same path.
Happy isn't the word I would use to describe that show. Anyway this show looks a bit more interesting than that one.
Old 2014-03-24, 07:07   Link #42
bastek66

I noticed there is guy in main cast (voiced by TADA BANRI). It seems anime is only to promote card game like ZX in finishing season.
Old 2014-03-24, 19:39   Link #43
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Man, the Mari Okada hate is fierce in on this board. I for one am looking forward to this show. I like Takuya Satou as a director as well and the premise looks appealing to me.

Here's the full version of the OP:

Old 2014-04-02, 15:10   Link #44
LKK

Funimation will carry the stream starting Thursday, April 3, at 1:49 pm for subscription members. (I assume Central Time although I don't see a time zone listed. And yes, the "1:49" is what the PR said.) Free streams will begin a week later. [Source]

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-02, 20:55   Link #45
mistress_kisara

CR also gets this http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...nfected-wixoss But its not available for the US.
mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 06:40   Link #46
Marina2

Just happened to see the PV and it caught my interest.

First ep. is today???
Old 2014-04-03, 15:12   Link #47
Birdway
Banned

Wow, the visuals for the first episode were pretty bad.
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 15:24   Link #48
Esclair

QUALITY in the first episode? That doesn't bode well...
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 15:53   Link #49
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Animation? There were plenty of still shots but I didn't notice anything egregious. Though I guess maybe Wake Up Girls set the new standard for me. XP

Not a bad premiere for card game anime that's blatantly ripping off Madoka Magica. I'll watch a few more episodes before making my mind up on this. I noticed yet another anime incest angle being played up already which sets the bar pretty low right off the bat, but whatever...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 16:06   Link #50
bakaouji

So, Vanguard style card battles wrapped in poor man's Fate/Zero premise?

If a Selector (chosen girls who have the ability to communicate with cards) wins a bunch of battles against other selectors using a special animated card called LRIG, which manifests as a tiny girl that fights on the player's commands, they get to have any one wish granted.

The show really doesn't explain much beyond the general premise and the final objective of the card game. The players seem to be transported into a different dimension where they can fight to their hearts' content, although, if they're interrupted by external forces then the match is called off and they lose all progress. I suppose the nitty-gritty game mechanics will be slowly revealed bit by bit in the upcoming episodes but it's clear that the real drama will take place outside the battlefield.

There's not a whole lot to be said about Ruuko, the protag of the show, except that she isn't interested in making friends (presumably for certain reasons) but at the risk of making her grandmother worry, she makes an effort to fraternize using the popular card game as a pretext.

So far, I don't see the catch in the premise except that Selectors who lose three times get kicked out of the game permanently, but I'm sure there's some trade-off that raises the stakes of the game.

If the dark, gory (possibly premonitory) dream that Ruuko has in the middle of the episode isn't enough of an indication that things are gonna get grimy, the preview with the ominous music definitely screams mania. Already, hints are given that Ruuko's new friend isn't too happy to see her getting chummy with the boy she's got designs on.

First episode is too early to make a decision as to whether I'd be following it or not; need to watch a couple more. Interesting is too strong a word to summarize my current emotion, but I definitely want to watch one or two more episodes to see how dark it gets.
bakaouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 16:24   Link #51
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I also did not think the animation was that bad.

But I also agree that there was a lot that simply was not laid out for the viewers.

After the first ep to be honest I did not find myself that interested - not because it was "bad" per se, but it just did not grab me in any kind of way.

Well, maybe things will pick up later on?

The singing style of the ED is what stood out for me the most, actually. Unnerving.
Old 2014-04-03, 17:18   Link #52
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
It kind of sounds like Fantasista Doll and Prisma Illya put together.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 17:20   Link #53
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
It kind of sounds like Fantasista Doll and Prisma Illya put together.
No where near as adorable as Ilya and way darker than Fantasista Doll.

To be honest it kinda reminded me of a cross between Angelic Layer and Gen'ei wo Kakeru Taiyou - Il Sole Penetra le Illusioni....
Old 2014-04-03, 17:33   Link #54
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Wow! Great start. The drawing/animation was terrific, in my opinion. Backgrounds were reminiscent of Steins;Gate, but better. The story was intriguing, laid out well, with just enough info about the game, lots of feeling of the characters, and some action and tension. And the pacing of the story and flow of scene/sound/image were wonderful. The time flew by, for me.

The voice acting was even better. Kakuma Ai (female Hato in Genshiken SS) was good as Ruuko. Kuno Misaki (Venera-sama in World Conquest) was exciting as Tama. Sakura Ayane (see sig) was outstanding as Yuzuki. And Kawasumi Ayako (Lafiel, Saber) was Kawasumi Ayako (as Hanayo). Grandma was played by Kubota Tamie, who is a long-time TV drama actress who played strong grandmas in both Hanasaku Iroha and Hiiro no Kakera.

I had high hopes for this show, because of the director (Satou Takuya did Steins;Gate and Ichigo Mashimaro) and the writer (a new direction for controversial but always interesting Okada Mari). And my hopes were fulfilled, for one episode at least.

I have never watched a card-battle show. And I have never liked battle shows of any kind, at least for their battles. But this show is real quality, as far as I am concerned. I probably don't know enough about the apparent genre to judge it on the same basis fans of those kinds of shows do. And, of course, I don't have any idea how the story will proceed, except that our two main competitor/friends will survive for a while.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2014-04-03 at 18:06.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 18:06   Link #55
BW95
Banned

Looks like a Yu-gi-oh targeted at a female demographic. Can anyone explain the mechanics of the game? There was too little to understand.
BW95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 18:42   Link #56
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW95 View Post
Looks like a Yu-gi-oh targeted at a female demographic. Can anyone explain the mechanics of the game? There was too little to understand.
From what I got...

Only a few girls get the living avatars and become Selectors.

If your attack succeeds, your avatar can level up and attack again.

If you lose 3 games, you're banned as a Selector forever.

---

And for displaying bad gamesmanship (dragging a newbie in to play so she can get an easy win), Yuzuki is prob going to lose big time. And when she does...her prob incestuous wish won't get fulfilled.
Old 2014-04-03, 19:10   Link #57
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

I would be so happy if this series added a Bokurano element to it... ( ;∀; )

It already has a bit of a Madoka feel to it (with the whole wish / corruption thing)... now all that needs to happen is the girls die if they lose 3 battles.
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 19:18   Link #58
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruyasha View Post
I would be so happy if this series added a Bokurano element to it... ( ;∀; )

It already has a bit of a Madoka feel to it (with the whole wish / corruption thing)... now all that needs to happen is the girls die if they lose 3 battles.
They are trying to sell a card game. They can't have their players die after losing. Not good for business imo.
Old 2014-04-03, 19:28   Link #59
Moeterum

Oh no, not ANOTHER incest. Come on, Japan!

What is the matter with you?!
Moeterum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 19:57   Link #60
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
...And for displaying bad gamesmanship (dragging a newbie in to play so she can get an easy win), Yuzuki is prob going to lose big time. And when she does...her prob incestuous wish won't get fulfilled.
Lol. I have to admit that endeared her to me. No hard feelings, but...no holds barred.

Her wish to have her brother all to herself kind of endeared her to me, too, since it seemed kind of innocently outlandish, as well, at least so far. No worries about potential incest, for the reasons you state. But she's listed second in the cast, and Kawasumi Ayako plays her avatar, so she will likely last a while before falling.

I love this time of a season, and I admit to getting over-enthusiastic about lots of shows I don't watch more than a few episodes of. We'll see how this goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeterum
Oh no, not ANOTHER incest. Come on, Japan! What is the matter with you?!
This is where I drag out the idea that the god and goddess who gave birth to Japan and many gods were brother and sister (Izanagi and Izanami). I have also heard it said that Japan is the freest country in the world (definitely a half-truth at best), that you can do whatever you like in private, as long as you keep up outward appearances. Perhaps these are part of the reason that incest can sell to the otakuriat in Japan, at least right now.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2014-04-03 at 20:11.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game, proxy battles