There's also the Electoral College.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-20, 16:16   Link #11102
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
There's also the Electoral College.
The EC will be divided between the pop of the new states. Same as the # of Rep.
Old 2014-02-20, 16:19   Link #11103
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
The EC will be divided between the pop of the new states. Same as the # of Rep.
Yes, but instead of all of them going to the Democrats, they'll be shared.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-20, 16:33   Link #11104
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
And right after Yahtzee (of Zero Punctuation) posted his review of the same game. It's as if they took it as a cue to use it as one of their many 'violent videogames create murderers' articles.

IMO, anyone who blames any form of media for his/her own psychopathic behavior (whether it's videogames, TV shows, movies, even anime), was already messed up in the head long before said medium truly started effecting his/her brain.
While solely blaming games is absolutely stupid, I'd think to say they contributed no effects at all would be dishonest. Games have been reported to contribute to the development of intelligence in kids, so if it can affect people in a positive way, why not in negative? I played Mortal Kombat almost exclusively in my Grade School years (games were expensive, and I was just addicted to that game) and plenty other violent games later on, and while I'd say I'm well off and have not displayed any signs of psychopathic behavior, I can't say the same for my most inner, darker minds and fetishes.

The difference factor, I think, is whether there are counterbalances to those influences. Parents, education, counseling, the ability to know what's real or not, etc etc. Sadly I guess these things doesn't make as much of an impact in the news and much much easier to just simply blaming video games.
Old 2014-02-20, 16:46   Link #11105
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

My Thesis paper in college was about secession movements within states with a focus on California and the State of Jefferson.

Instead of 55 from California going solidly Democrat, it splits up depending on the populaton via census results. Though the total may go up with the additional senators so the combined weight of all the Californias, Jefferson, and Silicon Valley would be 65 electors. Though many of those will still be in Silicon Valley and West California due to their large populations. The net change might not be as much as one would think. The electoral college would increase by 10 to 548 and the candidate would need 275 votes to win (up from 270 now).

The shift would come if Puerto Rico joins the union as a state. That adds seven more Representatives and two Senators to bring the total to 56 states and 112 Senators. The electoral college then goes from 538 to 557. A presidental candidate needing 279 electoral votes to win.

That is if they don't just redistribute the population numbers of the present model, giving the states less representative to keep the number of people in congress and the electoral college stable. Though they will need more chairs and offices in the Senate building.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fun facts: The last time Yolo County voted for a Republican presidental candidate was 1952 (Dwight D. Eisenhower). The last time San Francisco and Alameda Counties voted for a Republican presidental candidate was 1956 (also Dwight D. Eisenhower). These were the only three counties in California that did not vote for Ronald Reagan in 1980.

The last time that Orange County voted for a Democrat it was Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1936. That was the year he swept all of California...every county voted for him.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2014-02-20 at 17:22.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-20, 17:21   Link #11106
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
My Thesis paper in college was about secession movements within states with a focus on California and the State of Jefferson.

Instead of 55 from California going solidly Democrat, it splits up depending on the populaton via census results. Though the total may go up with the additional senators so the combined weight of all the Californias, Jefferson, and Silicon Valley would be 65 electors. Though many of those will still be in Silicon Valley and West California due to their large populations. The net change might not be as much as one would think.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fun facts: The last time Yolo County voted for a Republican presidental candidate was 1952 (Dwight D. Eisenhower). The last time San Francisco and Alameda Counties voted for a Republican presidental candidate was 1956 (also Dwight D. Eisenhower). These were the only three counties in California that did not vote for Ronald Reagan in 1980.

The last time that Orange County voted for a Democrat it was Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1936. That was the year he swept all of California...every county voted for him.
Anh Minh does have a point regarding the electoral votes.

if Texas split up as well then i don't mind seeing Ca split but otherwise the math still favors the Elephant.
Old 2014-02-20, 17:25   Link #11107
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The electoral college would increase by 10 to 548 and the candidate would need 275 votes to win (up from 270 now).

The shift would come if Puerto Rico joins the union as a state. That adds seven more Representatives and two Senators to bring the total to 56 states and 112 Senators. The electoral college then goes from 538 to 557. A presidental candidate needing 279 electoral votes to win.

That is if they don't just redistribute the population numbers of the present model, giving the states less representative to keep the number of people in congress and the electoral college stable. Though they will need more chairs and offices in the Senate building.
Old 2014-02-21, 08:42   Link #11108
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Indian history textbooks claim Japan nuked the United States in 1945
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Quote:
And that's just one of the many mistakes in what Indian news organizations are calling the "Error Terror" incident. The textbooks in Gujarat also get basic facts of Indian history wrong, including when Mahatma Gandhi died. As someone says in the above video, "This is as bad as it gets."
Old 2014-02-21, 22:53   Link #11109
AnimeFan188

Packs of Wild Chihuahuas Reportedly Terrorizing Arizona Town:

"Packs of wild chihuahuas are reportedly causing major problems in the streets of
an Arizona town according to news reports. Time reports that the dogs are
"terrorizing" the town."

See:

http://www.sciencespacerobots.com/pa...-town-21920142
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-21, 23:26   Link #11110
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Obama meets Dalai Lama, upsets China

What has meeting Dalai Lama has to do with meddling with China's affairs. But anyway :

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-21, 23:48   Link #11111
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

What has meeting Dalai Lama has to do with meddling with China's affairs.
Why is that strange? Let me give you an example: let's say I am some dictatorish scum* who decreed "BOOBIES ARE LIFE, DFC LOLI'S GO HOME", and then one day you, my arch nemesis, has a meeting with the Queen of the loli's, do you think I'll be happy? Do you think I'm just going to sit around while your loli's plan a rebellion? HOW DARE YOU BLASPHEME THE BOOBY NEESAN'S- *mangatron gets bombed*

Ahem, well, I think China is just angry their moon rover died. I'd be unhappy too if I sent an android girl to the moon and she froze over

*disclaimer: mangatron is not a dictatorish scum with nothing but boobies on his mind. Be it a girl's flachest or big ones, mangatron believes in "make massages, not war" ;>
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-22, 04:40   Link #11112
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

What has meeting Dalai Lama has to do with meddling with China's affairs.
For decades, the PRC has been trying to paint Dalai Lama's image as their own Osama Bin Ladin, a figurehead of terror.

Unfortunately for them, no one else is buying it.
Old 2014-02-22, 07:41   Link #11113
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Ahem, well, I think China is just angry their moon rover died. I'd be unhappy too if I sent an android girl to the moon and she froze over
That is why the Japanese roving moon rabbit is much better :

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
For decades, the PRC has been trying to paint Dalai Lama's image as their own Osama Bin Ladin, a figurehead of terror.

Unfortunately for them, no one else is buying it.
I wonder why.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-22, 22:07   Link #11114
AnimeFan188

Hugo Chavez's daughters refuse to move out of presidential palace and hold
'deafening' parties as five die in violent protests on the streets of Venezuela:

"While violence rages on the streets of Venezuela, the children of former president
Hugo Chavez have refused to move out of the presidential palace and turned it into
a party pad.

Rosa Virginia, 35, and Maria Gabriela Chavez, 33, are reportedly holding raucous
nights in the luxurious six-bedroom villa, complete with a swimming pool and private
movie theater."

See:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Venezuela.html
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-25, 05:44   Link #11115
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Rock around the clock: zircon crystal is oldest piece of Earth
Old 2014-02-25, 07:58   Link #11116
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Hugo Chavez's daughters refuse to move out of presidential palace and hold
'deafening' parties as five die in violent protests on the streets of Venezuela:

"While violence rages on the streets of Venezuela, the children of former president
Hugo Chavez have refused to move out of the presidential palace and turned it into
a party pad.

Rosa Virginia, 35, and Maria Gabriela Chavez, 33, are reportedly holding raucous
nights in the luxurious six-bedroom villa, complete with a swimming pool and private
movie theater."

See:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Venezuela.html
I can imagine their father is shaking in his grave over his daughters becoming the type of people he hates.
Old 2014-02-25, 10:18   Link #11117
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Nevada congressman goes `undercover' with UPS
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...02-23-21-13-18

NYC mayor's pizza fork gets $2,500 in charity sale
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...02-22-16-10-57
Old 2014-02-25, 11:36   Link #11118
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Candidates for TX Board of Education do not believe state should be involved in education
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/02/2...-in-education/

Why the hell is she called "Lady"?!
Old 2014-02-25, 12:18   Link #11119
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss13 View Post
Candidates for TX Board of Education do not believe state should be involved in education
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/02/2...-in-education/

Why the hell is she called "Lady"?!
can we secede form Texas?
Old 2014-02-25, 12:53   Link #11120
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
can we secede form Texas?
I wonder if Texas and Florida aren't in a secret competition about being the craziest state

Last edited by ganbaru; 2014-02-25 at 13:31. Reason: correcting
ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
humor