AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2015-10-04, 05:09   Link #1
cyth
Banned

Report cooldown reduction

Right now, users are restricted to one post report per 60 seconds. When there are multiple posts to be reported, for example when multiple people simultaneously start spoiling a series and quoting each other, this "feature" is extremely time wasting and frustrating for users who want to keep the forum clean.

I would also argue that such a long cooldown has a chilling effect. There were times when I thought if I should even bother reporting, when all I'll be doing is wasting 10 minutes of my time reporting people that won't get properly sanctioned anyway because so many of them have broken rules at the same time. The process of reporting needs to be as snappy and as painless as possible.

These forum cooldowns on reports and string searches, I imagine, were initially there to throttle user requests. With how much web tech and bandwidth have come along, I don't see these cooldowns serving their original role anymore. They are just making it tedious for forum users to do their thing.

If there has to be a cooldown for whatever reason, I suggest lowering it to 10 seconds.

Thank you.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 06:39   Link #2
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

After a quick check I'm not sure how easy it will be to achieve what you're asking for.

Assuming the forum even allows that to be changed, it doesn't provide a way for it to be changed in isolation. If I'm reading the settings correctly it would also change the posting frequency limit. It appears to be a trade-off.

On one hand I understand your point and could be persuaded that the reporting path could be better. On the other, there is no legitimate reason for someone to post more than once a minute. Changing the setting changes both, and the latter impact would only really help spammers create more mess that needed reporting.

By way of an alternative, while we consider the practicality of your suggestion, consider: addressing multiple issues in one report, simply by explaining the matter in more detail in the report itself. Reporting more than one post in a given thread, unless they are pages apart or complete unrelated, is actually counter productive. Reports for different posts are not automatically collated, in the way reports from multiple people for the same post are. Reporting many posts in the same thread is often less helpful than one report near the start of an issue, with an explanation about the extent of the problem. The person addressing the issues will often need to read around the problem in any case.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 07:05   Link #3
cyth
Banned

OK, so it's another forum software problem. Geez.

I know I can make a more elaborate report, but it has happened in the past that I've reported on the first post in a series of issues, with the expectation that the thread is going to get thoroughly checked. Suffice to say that didn't happen and I had to report whatever was left uncleaned separately. Since it's usually spoilers I report, I don't want to come back and refresh my memory with them every time they get overlooked. I started reporting every post because that's a sure-way that the posts will get noticed. Also, that a reported post doesn't get edited/deleted is a good confirmation that the mods have dealt with it and made up their mind about it. Otherwise I can continue to second-guess myself whether they've seen it. But if they're relying on multiple reports to confirm an issue, then I don't know what to say about that?
Old 2015-10-04, 08:23   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If all the postings are in the same thread, wouldn't it be sufficient to report one of them and tell the moderators there are other problematic postings as well? If the issue is obvious to you, it should be obvious to them as well, no?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 09:43   Link #5
cyth
Banned

@SeijiSensei: If you were a moderator, and the post I started this very topic with was a spoiler, and this thread's link in the forum's index was a report of said spoiler, then your reply doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence that threads get thoroughly checked, given that we've just talked about what you've outlined in the posts above. Jesus.
Old 2015-10-04, 10:01   Link #6
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
What if the cooldown period was reduced from 1 minute to 30 seconds?

A cooldown period of 30 seconds would likely still be great enough to stop the worst excesses of spam-posting, while it would at least make things twice as quick for cyth and other people who wish to make post Reports.
Old 2015-10-04, 10:04   Link #7
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
If all the postings are in the same thread, wouldn't it be sufficient to report one of them and tell the moderators there are other problematic postings as well? If the issue is obvious to you, it should be obvious to them as well, no?
This was what I did once before, and I was specific in which posts were problematic in the report message field.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 13:24   Link #8
relentlessflame

*Administrator

We do try to go back and review the context, but sometimes if a thread is moving quickly or if the context is too obscure, we may not catch every single connected post. If you post in your comment the specific links to other connected posts that you think we may not easily see (because they're on previous pages or whatever), that would help, and you don't need to report each post one by one (because as NightWish said, that just makes things more difficult do the way the reports come in).

I will also say... just because you report something doesn't mean the mods will necessarily agree with your assessment. We do sometimes also get reported posts where the person says it's against the rule (for example, claimed to be a spoiler), but in looking at it we judge that it is not what was claimed (for example, not a spoiler given that it was covered in the anime). So in that case you may not see action taken about a report. It doesn't mean we didn't look at it.
Old 2015-10-04, 14:37   Link #9
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I will also say... just because you report something doesn't mean the mods will necessarily agree with your assessment. We do sometimes also get reported posts where the person says it's against the rule (for example, claimed to be a spoiler), but in looking at it we judge that it is not what was claimed (for example, not a spoiler given that it was covered in the anime). So in that case you may not see action taken about a report. It doesn't mean we didn't look at it.
That's exactly the argument I made for reporting every post in violation. It's more assuring to let you guys know exactly what was wrong. That way I avoid second-guessing myself whether you guys have glossed over what I wanted you to gloss over.

Sigh, only in this instance do I wish vBulletin would function more like Reddit.
Old 2015-10-05, 00:53   Link #10
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well a buff wouldn't hurt because 1 minute is pretty weak but personally, I've never managed to run into a cooldown problem with this. I think if a thread has shitted up so much that it might be better just to PM/VM a mod directly before things get too out of hand.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-05, 21:12   Link #11
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ Same. If I would report something like ten posts, I'll just do it by making a PM to a mods of choice with a list of links to questionable posts.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-06, 01:06   Link #12
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
I didn't even know there were time restrictions for reports. Guess I don't report often then to not know that.

Btw cyth considering I'm a gamer the title of this thread made me laugh out loud
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote