AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-21, 10:07   Link #2301
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Dammit I thought she has a sword (which would be cool looking)...
Old 2010-08-21, 10:56   Link #2302
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

What was the origin for the name of Signum's sword? I tried to google it but I don't even know the proper spelling(Levantine? Laevantine? Levantein?)
Old 2010-08-21, 11:18   Link #2303
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
What was the origin for the name of Signum's sword? I tried to google it but I don't even know the proper spelling(Levantine? Laevantine? Levantein?)
It was originally the name of an obscure weapon from Norse mythology.
Old 2010-08-21, 11:27   Link #2304
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
It was originally the name of an obscure weapon from Norse mythology.
Thank you. While we're at it, does the other Wolkies devices had any reference too?
Old 2010-08-21, 11:54   Link #2305
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Thank you. While we're at it, does the other Wolkies devices had any reference too?
Apart from their literal meanings in German ("Count Iron" and "Clear Wind"), I don't know of any. I suspected that there was some German politician known as the "Iron Count", but the closest I found was Otto von Bismark, a.k.a. the Iron Chancellor, who was made a count in 1865. But that would be a stretch, no? ^^;
Old 2010-08-21, 11:59   Link #2306
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Apart from their literal meanings in German ("Count Iron" and "Clear Wind"), I don't know of any. I suspected that there was some German politician known as the "Iron Count", but the closest I found was Otto von Bismark, a.k.a. the Iron Chancellor, who was made a count in 1865. But that would be a stretch, no? ^^;
Gratuitous German then, I guess? Just like Raising Heart?

New one: I think it was mentioned once that Mid-Childa once had the now-banned weapons and almost destroyed itself in a war, hence all those ruins used for training. When did that happened, and what was it called?
Old 2010-08-21, 12:06   Link #2307
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
Gratuitous German then, I guess? Just like Raising Heart?
Yes, exactly. Except that German in Nanoha is considerably better (semantically and grammatically) than English, as far as I can assess. Maybe because it was first introduced in season two, or maybe because it's far less prominent.

Quote:
New one: I think it was mentioned once that Mid-Childa once had the now-banned weapons and almost destroyed itself in a war, hence all those ruins used for training. When did that happened, and what was it called?
I always assumed those ruins were from the Saint King Unification War, the one when Belkans tried to rebuild their empire and fought pretty much the entire multiverse at once until Olivie said bollocks. Back then, everyone and their mother used mass-based weapons, so if Mid-Childa was populated back then, it probably became a battlefield at one point or another.

Said war is described briefly in the SSX booklet, and more is presumably coming in ViVid.
Old 2010-08-21, 13:56   Link #2308
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Yes, exactly. Except that German in Nanoha is considerably better (semantically and grammatically) than English, as far as I can assess. Maybe because it was first introduced in season two, or maybe because it's far less prominent.
Or maybe because Graf Eisen's voice actor once lived in Germany for a while...

Quote:
I always assumed those ruins were from the Saint King Unification War, the one when Belkans tried to rebuild their empire and fought pretty much the entire multiverse at once until Olivie said bollocks. Back then, everyone and their mother used mass-based weapons, so if Mid-Childa was populated back then, it probably became a battlefield at one point or another.
I guess I've misinterpreted the history all this time....

Quote:
Said war is described briefly in the SSX booklet, and more is presumably coming in ViVid.
I wouldn't put much faith in that if I were you; they've been teasing us with Ix since chapter 2 but there's yet to be any focus on her. Besides, Belka's dark history probably wouldn't fit with Vivid's tamer story...

Question: Does the TSAB refers to the government body as a whole, or just it's armed force? And was TSAB the original Japanese term? I got the feeling that it may have actually been Space-time Administration Bureau instead
Old 2010-08-21, 14:23   Link #2309
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
Or maybe because Graf Eisen's voice actor once lived in Germany for a while...
Wasn't RH's actress a native English speaker, too?

Quote:
I wouldn't put much faith in that if I were you; they've been teasing us with Ix since chapter 2 but there's yet to be any focus on her. Besides, Belka's dark history probably wouldn't fit with Vivid's tamer story...
It's still possible, if they use the war as a backdrop for Olivie and Ingvalt's relationship...

Quote:
Question: Does the TSAB refers to the government body as a whole, or just it's armed force? And was TSAB the original Japanese term? I got the feeling that it may have actually been Space-time Administration Bureau instead
I would have to consult the Japanese Nanoha wiki on whether TSAB is the official spelling, but the official runes for its name are 時空管理局, where "時空" stands for "space-time" (as it is indeed usually rendered in English). Also judging by the TSAB coat of arms in Strikers, "管理局" indeed stands for "Administration Bureau". But I guess STAB for an organization name just wasn't heroic enough...
Old 2010-08-21, 14:39   Link #2310
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Soundtrack related question, does anyone know the name of the score that plays when Zest is speaking to Regius in StrikerS episode 24?
Pretty sure it's Uso ni shinaide kudasai/嘘にしないでください from StrikerS Sound Track StS Plus Vol.3~ /late
Quote:
She was actually an English high school teacher in Australia.
Quote:
I would have to consult the Japanese Nanoha wiki on whether TSAB is the official spelling, but the official runes for its name are 時空管理局, where "時空" stands for "space-time" (as it is indeed usually rendered in English). Also judging by the TSAB coat of arms in Strikers, "管理局" indeed stands for "Administration Bureau". But I guess STAB for an organization name just wasn't heroic enough...
My vote is for not STAB because SAME TYPE ATTACK BONUS would only really apply to people like Fate and Signum, riiiiight.

It doesn't say anything about a "TSAB" — the only official thing is "Administrative Bureau". Actually, looking at this thing is kind of funny.
Quote:
Administrative bureau
綴りは公式ページから。直訳すると「管理する部局」であり、「時空」の意味はない。
The Japanese seem to be looking at the English and saying how there's no real significance to the "space-time" part.

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-08-21, 14:58   Link #2311
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananoha View Post
She was actually an English high school teacher in Australia.
Which makes phrases like "I can be shot" ever more suspicious...

Quote:
It doesn't say anything about a "TSAB" — the only official thing is "Administrative Bureau". Actually, looking at this thing is kind of funny.The Japanese seem to be looking at the English and saying how there's no real significance to the "space-time" part.
Fascinating. Then where did the "Jikuu" part come from? I remember encountering it on that very wiki... Or did you mean that "Space Time" part is only included in the Japanese name but never in the official English one? ^^;
Old 2010-08-21, 15:07   Link #2312
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Quote:
Which makes phrases like "I can be shot" ever more suspicious...
Maybe they were going for Engrish moe. Or maybe she had little to no say in the matter.
Quote:
Fascinating. Then where did the "Jikuu" part come from? I remember encountering it on that very wiki... Or did you mean that "Space Time" part is only included in the Japanese name but never in the official English one? ^^;
Quite the latter.

Heck, it's still on Administrative bureau on the emblem thing for it.

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-08-21, 15:10   Link #2313
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Pretty sure it's Uso ni shinaide kudasai/嘘にしないでください from StrikerS Sound Track StS Plus Vol.3~ /late
Thanks. Doesn't sound like a track I'd find on Youtube. Any idea where I can track it down?
Old 2010-08-21, 15:11   Link #2314
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

^Hit me up in a PM and we shall sort that out.

Old 2010-08-21, 17:04   Link #2315
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Perhaps that's actually the problem? RH's actress was Australian, but GE's was Japanese, he just happened to spent some time in Germany. Trying to say to the writers that the grammar was wrong was probably too much hassle for Donna Burke

Story-wise, the device-makers probably should have ask Linith for weapons-naming. She's at least honest about it; it's not her fault that Bardiche has ceased to become, well, a Bardiche , since Fate's the one with big-friggin laser blade fetish. I swear, it's like she's compensating for something

Quote:
It's still possible, if they use the war as a backdrop for Olivie and Ingvalt's relationship...
We'll see to that , though, I don't expect much detail when it's just a back drop for a romance. The tragedy it caused, perhaps, but the chronology? Meh, Tsuzuki didn't even bother to make a clear command structure for the current government...

Quote:
[...] But I guess STAB for an organization name just wasn't heroic enough...
Quote:
My vote is for not STAB because SAME TYPE ATTACK BONUS would only really apply to people like Fate and Signum, riiiiight.

It doesn't say anything about a "TSAB" — the only official thing is "Administrative Bureau". Actually, looking at this thing is kind of funny.The Japanese seem to be looking at the English and saying how there's no real significance to the "space-time" part.
AWww, I actually think it sounds badass...

So the space-time bit was just to make it sci-fi-(ish)?

Anyway, how about my first question: Does the TSAB refers to the government body as a whole, or just it's armed force?

Last edited by Tiresias; 2010-08-21 at 17:51.
Old 2010-08-21, 18:40   Link #2316
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
Quote:
Anyway, how about my first question: Does the TSAB refers to the government body as a whole, or just it's armed force?
Is there a difference? I think the entire TSAB is the military; they're not actually the government of their member worlds, they're a police force sponsored by the governments of their member worlds.

I think. This is just the impression I got, so if I'm wrong somebody correct me...
Old 2010-08-21, 21:53   Link #2317
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Actually it never was clearly stated WHAT that wars was... but to me it seems more likely that it was civil war/Belcan factions war and not war against others.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
Old 2010-08-22, 03:40   Link #2318
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
Story-wise, the device-makers probably should have ask Linith for weapons-naming. She's at least honest about it; it's not her fault that Bardiche has ceased to become, well, a Bardiche , since Fate's the one with big-friggin laser blade fetish. I swear, it's like she's compensating for something
Hmm, you may be onto something there. Fate's transition to laser sword fetishist began about the same time as she was made into a sub befriended by Nanoha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by al103 View Post
Actually it never was clearly stated WHAT that wars was... but to me it seems more likely that it was civil war/Belcan factions war and not war against others.
Well, considering that most of the known universe was part of the Belkan Empire, it was both a civil war and a war of conquest, depending on whose side you are on: the Belkans fought to bring their rebellious subjects back in line, whereas breakaway worlds fought the invaders for their freedom.

Also, from the Japanese wiki (bottom of the page):

Spoiler for Runes...:

I am no expert but Google translates the sentence in bold font as something along the lines of Belkans planning a grand comeback and dominating other countries, using the Cradle as their new HQ...
Old 2010-08-22, 06:00   Link #2319
Arkeus

Quote:

Well, considering that most of the known universe was part of the Belkan Empire, it was both a civil war and a war of conquest, depending on whose side you are on: the Belkans fought to bring their rebellious subjects back in line, whereas breakaway worlds fought the invaders for their freedom.

Also, from the Japanese wiki (bottom of the page):

Spoiler for Runes...:

I am no expert but Google translates the sentence in bold font as something along the lines of Belkans planning a grand comeback and dominating other countries, using the Cradle as their new HQ...
I am pretty sure the Belkan were never 'united' to begin with, so...

In fact, i think if the 'belkan' weren't more like saying 'earthers', with a US King and a Congo King and...

What Olivie did, iirc, was working toward stopping that never-stopping war that destroyed their world, and didn't stop even then.
Old 2010-08-22, 07:03   Link #2320
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
I am pretty sure the Belkan were never 'united' to begin with, so...

In fact, i think if the 'belkan' weren't more like saying 'earthers', with a US King and a Congo King and...

What Olivie did, iirc, was working toward stopping that never-stopping war that destroyed their world, and didn't stop even then.
Well, the entry for the Warring Ages on the same page says something about Belkans expanding their territory by invading other countries (presumably on their own homeworld) and worlds. Looks like an empire to me. Of course, when Belka itself was lost, the empire probably fell apart and the never-ending reunification war began, which Olivie stopped by getting herself killed and hiding away the Cradle.