AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-12-11, 04:23   Link #1
solomon

Arizona and the West

Reading about the economic news today, I thought of a recent anamoly in Arizona. The place was built on cheap housing, particularly phoenix. With the housing slump and credit freefall certain places have fared better then others.

Nightline did a recent story on Suhuarita, Arizona not far from Tucson and how it's booming.

I wonder what people in Arizona thought about the places they lived and maybe how the economy is affecting where they live.

(btw, is it true that there is a ton of old peeps in Arizona?, anecdotedly that's what I have heard)
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 14:17   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My question with Arizona is ... water supply. From LA all the way to Austin, the developers are totally ignoring the long term water supply issue. Just build them houses and then skip town before the problems start.....

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-12-11 at 16:45. Reason: The Southwest includes part of Texas and its all crumbling under water supply issues.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 16:14   Link #3
solomon

I hear that is a problem with a lot of southwestern states, stretching back all the way to Texas.

As for Arizona, the newspaper the Arizona Republic said that it still is lagging behind in economic development compared to cities of comparable size. Dallas and Houston are regional powerhouses and Philly even with it's grunge and mold is expanding a good healthcare and medical industry. Phoenix and Arizona in general I hear has a problem cause it's growth is centred less on powerhouse service industry but just it's cheap housing.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 23:22   Link #4
flohtingPoint
Limited Slip

Send a message via ICQ to flohtingPoint Send a message via AIM to flohtingPoint
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Reading about the economic news today, I thought of a recent anamoly in Arizona. The place was built on cheap housing, particularly phoenix. With the housing slump and credit freefall certain places have fared better then others.

Nightline did a recent story on Suhuarita, Arizona not far from Tucson and how it's booming.

I wonder what people in Arizona thought about the places they lived and maybe how the economy is affecting where they live.

(btw, is it true that there is a ton of old peeps in Arizona?, anecdotedly that's what I have heard)
Sun City, yea. Picture it as north-western Phoenix with lanes in the street for golf carts. Speed limit is jacked down way low, almost to the point where you go out of your way to avoid the place.

Cheap housing is nothing new in AZ. I remember when you actually had to drive to Scottsdale, now you just drive into it from Phoenix.

A lot of the suburb housing is garbage... Never sealed correctly, you have tons of problems with cooling your house during the winter, issues with scorpions getting in, or worse yet snakes. I recall one morning before school, I got up extra early cause I couldnt sleep and low and behold, there was a damned rattlesnake sitting in the middle of my kitchen floor...
flohtingPoint is offline   Reply With Quote