AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-11, 12:11   Link #1841
Ilidsor
Angelerator

There's two problems with that:

1. Why would they assume that her clothing isn't magical? In a series where almost anything can be used for magic wouldn't the first thing you assume upon seeing someone wearing something as ridiculous as that be that it's magical?

and

2. That effect would be completely shattered by the cape, witch's hat, eyepatch, and necklace-thingy she's wearing.
Old 2013-12-11, 16:19   Link #1842
desrtsku
Nympholept

That's kind of ironic. Why would you assume things like "she should just wear normal clothes" if you can also assume that "people would think it's a magical clothing anyway"? Well, just me nitpicking, don't mind it.

Regardless, you are indeed a pretty down to earth person, so how about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerful=naked
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
Why would they assume that her clothing isn't magical?
You're making a huge jump here, and so will I.

We have only two cases of "defensive magical clothing" in this series as far as I know :
-barrier types like walking church (or walking church type) : you can already see that has the appearance of clerical clothings. According to Index hers is a "church in the form of clothes" and includes the "bare minimum of components required to make up a church". It's left up to your imagination whether a bikini level clothing can possibly include those components (or even any weaker variant of that thing, assuming they work under the same principle).
-damage absorbing types like the one Itsuwa used in vol 16 : follows the principle of "the more damage you take the more naked you become". The fact that Othinus is already half naked completely defeats the purpose. Well she at least does have the cape, somehow, but the fact that she's half naked inside is already enough of a provocation.

Quote:
That effect would be completely shattered by the cape, witch's hat, eyepatch, and necklace-thingy she's wearing.
Quote:
completely shattered
You can literally count everything she has on her with a single hand. Can you count the exact number of accessories Lidvia, Stiyl or Biagio have on them? You can reach dozens or even hundreds if you count what's under their sleeves.
Well~well, I take it I was in the wrong myself for saying "zero" while the real basis is “truly strong people do not need excessive equipment”, but the idea is still there.
Old 2013-12-11, 17:52   Link #1843
Ilidsor
Angelerator

First of all why are you putting everything in quotes from powerful=naked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
That's kind of ironic. Why would you assume things like "she should just wear normal clothes" if you can also assume that "people would think it's a magical clothing anyway"? Well, just me nitpicking, don't mind it.
Because if wearing either of them would have the same result then obviously it would be preferable to wear normal clothing.

Quote:

We have only two cases of "defensive magical clothing" in this series as far as I know :
-barrier types like walking church (or walking church type) : you can already see that has the appearance of clerical clothings. According to Index hers is a "church in the form of clothes" and includes the "bare minimum of components required to make up a church". It's left up to your imagination whether a bikini level clothing can possibly include those components (or even any weaker variant of that thing, assuming they work under the same principle).
-damage absorbing types like the one Itsuwa used in vol 16 : follows the principle of "the more damage you take the more naked you become". The fact that Othinus is already half naked completely defeats the purpose. Well she at least does have the cape, somehow, but the fact that she's half naked inside is already enough of a provocation.
You're forgetting that this is a series where almost anything can be done with magic by finding a legend related to it. Just because we've only seen those two kinds does not mean there aren't others. It would be weird to assume they were the only two kinds considering how many legends there are irl, and how we see a new kind of magic almost every book.

Quote:
You can literally count everything she has on her with a single hand. Can you count the exact number of accessories Lidvia, Stiyl or Biagio have on them? You can reach dozens or even hundreds if you count what's under their sleeves.
Well~well, I take it I was in the wrong myself for saying "zero" while the real basis is “truly strong people do not need excessive equipment”, but the idea is still there.
Then she could do the same thing by wearing sleeve-less clothing, or just form fitting clothing. (Something on the Shutaura level of sexy wouldn't be bad).

And all of this is ignoring the fact that if she really was wearing so little clothing entirely to provoke her enemies then there would be no need for it to be so sexualized. Like only covering a tiny portion of her breasts, and the minimal coverage "down there".
Old 2013-12-11, 18:45   Link #1844
Birdway
Banned

Quote:
And all of this is ignoring the fact that if she really was wearing so little clothing entirely to provoke her enemies then there would be no need for it to be so sexualized. Like only covering a tiny portion of her breasts, and the minimal coverage "down there".
Basically that. Fiamma (and GRS by extension) wear a simple robe that we can't guess if he has a magical protection on it, and we know isn't because Holy Right.

Btw, is obvious they did it to appeal by visual means maybe to compensate what the character lacks.
Old 2013-12-11, 19:29   Link #1845
classic

Probably a stupid question, but what exactly espers are using for their abilities. For example, what is a certain esper use to create fire? IEM Field? How does it work?
Old 2013-12-11, 19:46   Link #1846
omega253

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic View Post
Probably a stupid question, but what exactly espers are using for their abilities. For example, what is a certain esper use to create fire? IEM Field? How does it work?
That type of question would be better in the Q&A Thread. That's its purpose after all.

Just giving a heads up.
Old 2013-12-11, 19:52   Link #1847
Ilidsor
Angelerator

I answered in the QA thread
Old 2013-12-12, 08:50   Link #1848
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
Btw, is obvious they did it to appeal by visual means maybe to compensate what the character lacks.
No matter what the reason is, you don't and you can't compensate shallow characters with just looks. The best you can do with that is transforming them into pure jerking off materials, which is even worse.

Quote:
First of all why are you putting everything in quotes from powerful=naked?
No particular reason ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by naked=powerful
Quote:
You're forgetting that this is a series where almost anything can be done with magic by finding a legend related to it. Just because we've only seen those two kinds does not mean there aren't others. It would be weird to assume they were the only two kinds considering how many legends there are irl, and how we see a new kind of magic almost every book.
If you insist, when we're at it, it's been stated numerous times that the very basics of magicians is that they are usually talentless/weak and generally make up for that with sheer number of accessories. Whatever kind of magic clothing protection spell she would use, it would be penalized in sheer power from how little she wears.
That unless, of course, she possesses some super high level spell like Bersi to make up for that. However, that already implies she's a super high level magician to begin with, which is the very point of the thing.

Quote:
Then she could do the same thing by wearing sleeve-less clothing, or just form fitting clothing. (Something on the Shutaura level of sexy wouldn't be bad).

Same as above, "the little she wears = the less powerful and numerous her accessory based spells are"
=> "she must be some super high level magician to make up for that".

PS :
-Also her clothes are already sleeveless mind you, hers just covers even less, and that's the point.
-bodysuit doesn't equate less tissue/body coverage, which means Itsuwa style spells would be very practical with it.
-It might be lewd pervybait, but that doesn't mean the reasoning is necessarily wrong.
Old 2013-12-12, 09:50   Link #1849
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Quote:
No matter what the reason is, you don't and you can't compensate shallow characters with just looks. The best you can do with that is transforming them into pure jerking off materials, which is even worse.
Wait, so you admit it's a bad decision?

Quote:
No particular reason ...
All you're doing is making it more annoying to reply to you, because the quoted stuff doesn't show up when I hit quote and I have to copy and paste it from below.

Quote:
If you insist, when we're at it, it's been stated numerous times that the very basics of magicians is that they are usually talentless/weak and generally make up for that with sheer number of accessories. Whatever kind of magic clothing protection spell she would use, it would be penalized in sheer power from how little she wears.
Only if you insist that more clothing = more protection all the time, which is a silly assumption to make when almost anything can be done with magic. How hard do you think it would be to look up a legend or a myth or a fairy tale where someone gets protection when not wearing clothes, or after taking off clothes?

Quote:
Same as above, "the little she wears = the less powerful and numerous her accessory based spells are"
=> "she must be some super high level magician to make up for that".
Yes but as we've discussed there are many ways of getting that across without making her look like a stripper who recently had half her clothing torn off.

Quote:

PS :
-Also her clothes are already sleeveless mind you, hers just covers even less, and that's the point.
Well it's not a very good point. Is someone really going to think she's hiding something up her shirt? Or anywhere else that would be covered by normal clothing and be impractical to reach to during a fight?

Quote:
-bodysuit doesn't equate less tissue/body coverage, which means Itsuwa style spells would be very practical with it.
Yes but as we've already covered literally any clothing can be assumed to give magical protection, so there's no point in wearing that ridiculous (seriously how can you look at that clothing and defend it?) outfit when other clothing would serve the same purpose.

Quote:
-It might be lewd pervybait, but that doesn't mean the reasoning is necessarily wrong.
Yes it does. The second you're designing your villain (especially a villain whose supposed to be particularly threatening) to appeal to perverts something has gone terribly terribly wrong.
Old 2013-12-12, 10:12   Link #1850
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
I'm so confused as to why Othinus is a shallow character.

Her motivations haven't even been revealed yet. Why are you making any claims at all about her being shallow. Perhaps, she has more complicated motivations than any other character we've seen so far? (probably not than Aleister though...)

You're making a brash assumption that she's shallow. The only thing I've been able to tell so far is that her personality seems to be a lot more complex than it initially was, and furthermore that her appearance is just supposed to demonstrate how powerful and especially arrogant she is. It was already mentioned beforehand that she looks the way that she does just because she doesn't need to wear clothes. Just because she's a girl, and she's the first super-powerful girl character we've had in this series (on tier with our other big bads) you say that she looks like good "jerk-off material" but in reality she's just another boss character.

Her outfit is revealing, does that make it bad? If her personality is interesting, who the heck cares? Her wearing skimpy clothes just means that she's unusual, and therefore more interesting... at least in the Index-verse... so I'm excited rather than skeptical.

The illustrator is giving you information about how he designed her...

You can either A. disregard the information from the guy who created/designed the character and take your own opinion.

Or B. Take the information you're given and integrate into the story. Your choice.

I personally feel like it's a waste of time picking A, so I'm just going to trust Haimura on this one.

Last edited by dniv; 2013-12-12 at 15:10.
Old 2013-12-12, 11:23   Link #1851
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Wait, so you admit it's a bad decision?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
I'm so confused as to why Othinus is a shallow character.
My excuses dniv, I didn't read your post for obvious reasons.

I never said Othinus was shallow (I don't think she's any deep either though), I just said the reasoning behind increasing the lewd factor in order to make up for something else is wrong. Which translates to "it doesn't matter as long as there's already something".
Or in other words : it's not something meant to be used as a substitute but as a bonus.
Quote:
All you're doing is making it more annoying to reply to you, because the quoted stuff doesn't show up when I hit quote and I have to copy and paste it from below.
Then let me present my apologies. This time, then, I'll put it inside spoiler tags :
Spoiler for naked=powerful:
Old 2013-12-12, 11:54   Link #1852
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Spoiler for Length:
Old 2013-12-12, 12:04   Link #1853
R.LocK
My turn

You're all silly.
Old 2013-12-12, 12:11   Link #1854
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.LocK View Post
You're all silly.
Everyone stopped coming lol
Old 2013-12-12, 12:12   Link #1855
R.LocK
My turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACertainStark View Post
Everyone stopped coming lol
Hey, at least, it works
Old 2013-12-12, 12:22   Link #1856
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.LocK View Post
Hey, at least, it works
That's true.
Old 2013-12-12, 13:16   Link #1857
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

Quote:
Her clothing ruins her personality by making her seem like a stripper rather than an all powerful god.
I'm pretty sure that's just you getting too caught up in the clothing

and last time I checked, gods dont give two craps about what mortals think
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Old 2013-12-12, 13:54   Link #1858
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
-snip-
Spoiler for naked=powerful:
Old 2013-12-12, 14:25   Link #1859
Bakaizer
Demon Hunter

Can't gods have fashion statements of thier own?
Old 2013-12-12, 14:30   Link #1860
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikohowell View Post
Can't gods have fashion statements of thier own?
Or let the author & character designer design them how they want. Which they seem to be doing perfectly fine with Othinus!
Closed Thread

Tags
novel predictions