AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2017-07-11, 09:57   Link #81
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

I heard they were saying that this MJ isnt the Mary Jane and that they were just using her nickname as a reference rather than making her a recurring character and love interest

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-11, 10:05   Link #82
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Finally watch the movie and i have to say this might be the BEST Spider-Man movie ever!
Spoiler for Plot:
Old 2017-07-15, 14:09   Link #83
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Toomes at the beginning of the film had lots of good points, but I felt they were all undermined by the lack of hard hats, and his not going to a lawyer for compensation as his first move. I can see why he wasn't the right guy for the job.

Still, interesting dynamic with Peter. Very good movie overall.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-15, 17:27   Link #84
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
I heard they were saying that this MJ isnt the Mary Jane and that they were just using her nickname as a reference rather than making her a recurring character and love interest
It doesn't matter what they clarify to the media, what matters is what is actually put in the film. If they needed to clarify anything, it is already a failure in storytelling.

It isn't as bad as BvS ""Martha", but it is the same type of mistake. That you put something in a film without thought of how it would be interpreted.

Nothing else in the film needed explaining because everything else made sense. The "MJ" comment itself however is 100% a mistake.
Old 2017-07-16, 01:37   Link #85
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It's more like DKR's "Robin", just even more pointless.
Old 2017-07-17, 03:04   Link #86
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
First I want to say....Sony learn how to make good trailers ! I mean wow they really did spoil a massive amount of the movie and most of Peter's character arc in a short period of time. That's impressive.

The MJ thing? Less important than I thought it would be. By the time they got to the end of the movie and did that, it made sense. Clearly not Mary Jane since...her name really is Michelle. It's just sharing the same nickname. A very minor point.

Spoiler for Plot:

Also on a side note...I really wonder what the studios were thinking having Spider-Man and Planet of the Apes going back to back. That can't be good for either movie. It really dropped Spidey's box office for the second week and utterly killed the first week for Apes. I get that Summer is packed but even Wonder Woman wasn't crazy enough to come out the week after Guardians Vol 2.
Old 2017-07-17, 16:05   Link #87
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
First I want to say....Sony learn how to make good trailers ! I mean wow they really did spoil a massive amount of the movie and most of Peter's character arc in a short period of time. That's impressive.
That's one of the biggest things that made me opt to skip this film: that one trailer (you know the one that I'm talking about) was basically a condensed summary of the film, making me lose interest in it.

Quote:
Also on a side note...I really wonder what the studios were thinking having Spider-Man and Planet of the Apes going back to back. That can't be good for either movie. It really dropped Spidey's box office for the second week and utterly killed the first week for Apes. I get that Summer is packed but even Wonder Woman wasn't crazy enough to come out the week after Guardians Vol 2.
One thing people seem to forget when it comes to summer movies: with kids and college students being out school during this period, they have more time to actually go to the movies (rather than just limited to the weekends). As such, with a lot of the younger audience being able to watch the film within the first week, studios are releasing the films that would appeal to them in succession during the summer months to ensure a good revenue in the box office.

I could see part of the issue that you have (i.e. having two tentpole movies come out on back-to-back weekends rather than spacing them out). However, there's also going to be those "slow" weeks where viewers can easily catch up with the latest blockbuster that they missed, with this week could be one for younger viewers this upcoming week (as I doubt kids would be interested in Dunkirk or Valerian).
Old 2017-07-18, 15:45   Link #88
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Well, they hid two things. Liz' filiation, and what an abysmal hero mentor Tony would turn out to be. I'm rather disappointed about the latter.
Old 2017-07-18, 17:27   Link #89
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Well, they hid two things. Liz' filiation, and what an abysmal hero mentor Tony would turn out to be. I'm rather disappointed about the latter.
Tony never had any parenting skills. Remember that he had a fallout with his own father, and is barely an adult who needed Pepper to clean up after him. That doesn't mean Tony wasn't trying, but he was never going to succeed to begin with.
Old 2017-07-19, 00:35   Link #90
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Tony never had any parenting skills. Remember that he had a fallout with his own father, and is barely an adult who needed Pepper to clean up after him. That doesn't mean Tony wasn't trying, but he was never going to succeed to begin with.
He kinda wasn't trying. He foisted Peter off on Happy, who had no respect for either Peter or the assignment.

He read Peter's reports, but didn't make sure Happy replied so Peter wouldn't feel like he was talking into the void. He put training wheels on the suit, but if he put a training program in there, he didn't say.

He said he didn't want to repeat the pattern with his own father, but that's probably exactly what he did: not be there and expect the kid to stay quiet and out of trouble.
Old 2017-07-19, 02:12   Link #91
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Yeah, I'm shocked that Tony hasn't been a great mentor with his overall track record . He tried, but this really is a first attempt on his part.

I suppose it is kind of a given though. He probably didn't expect things to go to hell like they did by the end of Civil War. The Avengers shattered, half his friends are wanted criminals, one of his friend is seriously injured/rehabbing, finding out the truth about his parent's deaths, and he now has to try keeping the world safe with his hands tied behind his back.

Clearly he intended to focus more on Peter and work with him. Thus all the sub-systems that he was supposed to be trained to use. I suppose he figured that Peter could take care of himself handling small scale crime and serious training could wait until he was done high school. Didn't quite work out that way...But on the positive side his advice was still useful for Peter. Not nearly how he intended, but Peter came through this movie a better person and a more legitimate Spider-Man.
Old 2017-07-19, 05:24   Link #92
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
He kinda wasn't trying. He foisted Peter off on Happy, who had no respect for either Peter or the assignment.

He read Peter's reports, but didn't make sure Happy replied so Peter wouldn't feel like he was talking into the void. He put training wheels on the suit, but if he put a training program in there, he didn't say.

He said he didn't want to repeat the pattern with his own father, but that's probably exactly what he did: not be there and expect the kid to stay quiet and out of trouble.
And this narrative works precisely because it's MCU's Tony Stark, who we have repeatedly seen established as a very flawed character. I like how they weave in narrative that only works because of the greater shared universe like this.
Old 2017-07-19, 14:18   Link #93
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm shocked that Tony hasn't been a great mentor with his overall track record . He tried, but this really is a first attempt on his part.

I suppose it is kind of a given though. He probably didn't expect things to go to hell like they did by the end of Civil War. The Avengers shattered, half his friends are wanted criminals, one of his friend is seriously injured/rehabbing, finding out the truth about his parent's deaths, and he now has to try keeping the world safe with his hands tied behind his back.
Maybe, but he didn't look overwhelmed. He looked like he was living his normal life having parties and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
And this narrative works precisely because it's MCU's Tony Stark, who we have repeatedly seen established as a very flawed character. I like how they weave in narrative that only works because of the greater shared universe like this.
You're right, of course. It was all very him, down to expecting someone to pick up after him.

I was ready for him to fail. To not get through to Peter, or something. After all, if all went well, there'd be no story. I wasn't, however, ready for him to not even try. I thought maybe he'd see Peter as some kind of redemption, for all the things that went to shit in his life, like Pepper leaving him, Cap leaving him, Ultron, and so on. I didn't think he'd see Peter as just another convenient little soldier.
Old 2017-07-22, 20:44   Link #94
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i didn't like this as much as everyone made it out to be. the first two acts were great, but i think it took a pretty big downswing after the prom part got started.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-23, 17:25   Link #95
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
^ See, i agree that this film is overhyped, but for the exact opposite reason: the first two parts were horrible and cringey, and the final act just BARELY reedemed it. At most, I give this film a 7/10.

Then again, to be totally fair, if you go back a couple of pages, my love of Spiderman is based on the 90's animated series and the first two Spiderman films from the early 2000's. In those, Peter was always a college student, working for JJ. Obviously, this is a very different iteration of Peter Parker... and honestly, being 11 years removed from high school, I had forgotten how cringey and awkward high school is. However, I will admit that he pulled off a perfect high school-level student.

For me personally, the best parts of the movie were (most) of the actual Spiderman bits. The Vulture made an EXCELLENT villain- I've heard that in terms of Batman, what made batman so great was his enemies. The Vulture is a villain with a damned good reason, and that means that Spidey has to be damned good to take him out. As I mentioned above, for me, the last part of the film is awesome and the only reason i can recommend anyone go see the film.
Spoiler for Movie spoilers:

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-02, 03:41   Link #96
Tenzen12

Considering that for some reason I never get into Spiderman 2, this is easily best spidey movie for me. Vulture is great, Tony is great... in being terrible mentor And Peter was complete dork. I approve.

But in all seriousness, Yes Tony wasn't great, but he cared and was did slightly more good than harm. To be honest I would say both Spidey debut as superhero and Tony's as mentor were equally successful. That's also what made it great for me.
Old 2017-08-04, 15:07   Link #97
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Tony did do a pretty bad job at mentoring Peter for the most part, but in the end, it was thanks to him taking back the costume and lecturing Peter about not deserving it (that was a great line) that Peter was able to become a true hero. You can count it as a fluke, but the fact is he did succeed in turning Spider-man into a great hero! The problem is that I'm not sure he's actually learned from his mistakes...

I really enjoyed this movie. I initially wasn't too fond of the idea of having a Peter still in high school, but it worked out nicely. This is the first Spider-man that feels like he isn't carrying the weight of the whole world on his shoulders (there's already a whole team of super heroes for that) and this allowed him to act like a normal dorky teenager who suddenly ended up with superpowers and an awesome costume. It was also a good idea to focus on his personal struggle to become a true hero from a new angle (no Uncle Ben this time).

The vulture was a great villain, and I didn't see the twist coming at all. Fantastic moment.
Old 2017-08-09, 09:01   Link #98
justavisitor

finally watched it, great movie and I am glad that I haven't read any spoiler!! I've seen all spiderman movies and this is probably the one I like the most.

If you are nothing without the suit, then you don't deserve to have the suit..This is a great line, but it feels so weird coming from iron man lol. Tony is being Tony. He cares Peter so much but he has problems showing it. Had he told peter he had fbi going after vulture, then maybe we wouldn't have the ferry scene. I think iron man is more responsible for the lack of communication with Peter regarding the ferry's incident.
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-09, 13:45   Link #99
Tenzen12

Not really that ironic, considering it took quite lot of pain for Tony learning that lesson himself first...
Old 2017-08-09, 15:31   Link #100
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
If you are nothing without the suit, then you don't deserve to have the suit..This is a great line, but it feels so weird coming from iron man lol.
That line is actually significant because it was a lesson Tony had to learn for himself, and was pretty much the underlying lesson behind Iron Man 3. Tony's last line in that movie pretty much connects to that particular line here:

"My armor was never a distraction or a hobby, it was a cocoon, and now I'm a changed man. You can take away my house, all my tricks and toys, but one thing you can't take away - I am Iron Man."

Note how Tony initially tried dealing with Toomes' weapon dealing in this movie:

Spoiler for movie:

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marvel cinematic universe, sony, spider-man