AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2017-10-05, 18:20   Link #1
BWTraveller
Born to ship

A well-done love triangle (Boy-girl-boy only)

As the title suggests, I'm looking once again for love triangles. Exclusively triangles where two boys love the same girl or one boy loves a girl who loves another boy. Shoujo is OK, though I'm always a little scared of the genre.

I guess I have a few rules:
1: if, as comes standard in way too many shoujo manga, one of them is a near-predatory, excessively dominating, aggressive sort of guy, the sort of bad boy or near-rapist I saw a few too many times early on, he better not win out in the end. Seriously, when I first tried to read a few shoujo I was inundated with not just these characters but girls who became "property" due to debt, bet, blackmail, or simple declaration, and wound up still melting for the bastard. That crap got old fast.
2: A certain amount of comedy or otherwise some manner of light touch would be nice, so it's not so heavy that it overwhelms.
3: Not too much smut. Fanservice is ok and a little bit of H stuff perhaps depending on the situation, partner, level of relationship, etc., but overall in triangle series it tends to detract unless it's after the triangle's become a line.
4: Must have a real conclusion. I already tried reading week after week of new chapters hoping the author wouldn't screw the obviously better guy over only to be shocked as at the end the girl rationalized her way out of everything she'd been through and everything she'd learned so she could assert that her childhood crush is the one for her, and I've also read "completed" series that end with the situation unchanged as both boys fight or the girl chases the indifferent/oblivious guy while the other boy pursues her. Both are unsatisfying at best and infuriatingly frustrating all too often.

Aside from that, I just want something endearing, where I'll ultimately at the end find that I enjoyed the story and am happy to see it end the way it did.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-05, 23:34   Link #2
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Well... pretty sure you've read all of these before but just in case:

1: Maison Ikkoku

2: House of the Sun

3: Cross Game

4: Honey and Clover

5: Kimi Ni Todoke

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-06, 06:32   Link #3
kitten320

Bakuman, possibly? It's a side character but there is a girl who gets courted by two guys in later seasons. Both are weirdos though. But one gets freakishly obsessive and thankfully does not win. But it was sad o see him fall like that. He seemed decent at first.

Chihayafuru - it's not complete though, manga is still ongoing. Main focus is not romance either but two guys are in love with Chihaya who is oblivious to both at first. Seeing them as close friends.

Hachimitsu to Clover - not a fan of the series but majority loves it. There are two couples with similar set up, one actually involves 3 guys. Can't say I was happy with where it headed.

Mai HiME - Mai was courted by two guys: Reito and Tate

Can't really think of anything else. Reverse triangles are far more common. And the only Love Triangle I thought that was handled well was in White Album 2.
Old 2017-10-06, 10:03   Link #4
AnimeFangirl

H2 by Mitsuru Adachi.

Peach Girl. There are jerk characters in it, but the two main guys are decent.