WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

its because the manga is in an anachronic order
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 04:11   Link #82
Molenir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
This is the first time I've agreed with all the "it's a weak season" cries. And it could just be because there aren't the kinds of shows I personally like, whereas there are shows like Code Geass that others do.

This and Macross and now Vampire Knight are the ones I like best so far, but there's nothing that seems outstanding to me, like Lucky Star last spring or Simoun, Haruhi, and NANA the spring before. Or ef and Blue Drop and KimiKiss last fall, or true tears in January (Spice & Wolf wasn't as good, for me).

But Kurenai has a chance. And as Westlo says, Kaiba, Real Drive, Library War, Golgo 13, Nijuu-Mensou no Musume, and Kyouran Kazoku Nikki haven't started.
Just a few days ago, I would have agreed with you. After the most recent animes, I was a disappointed. The only ones I really enjoyed at all recently, were Bamboo Blade and Minami-ke, though I decided to give True Tears another chance now that its fully subbed.

About the only show I thought I'd be looking forward to was SA. Never really enjoyed VK, To LoveRu seemed a bit too haremish for me, and I hated Geass. But what a surprise. Trouble is actually off to a fairly good beginning, Drauga is funny as hell, and Kurenai looks really good. Things are looking up a bit for this season.
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 06:46   Link #83
Sparrow1770
Avian Member

I have to give Miyuki Sawashiro (Shinkuro) a vote of confidence here. Aoi Yuki (Murasaki) was a bit shaky in parts, you get the feeling her bratty voice might get annoying. But still I thought they had a good energy between them right away. Also, to have such a touching moment at the end of the very first episode gives me hope for future eps.

I'm certainly not one to judge a show by its OP/ED, but I can say I will probably be skipping both in future eps.
Sparrow1770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 07:05   Link #84
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Though i have found the spring anime season lacking so far (still awaiting so other releases of course), Kure-nai was a very welcome and pleasant surprise. It kept my attention throughly i was in love with the animation from the moment i saw it. Such rich colors and very accented tones on the skin and clothes. I dont understand all of whats going on and it seems like this will be another one of those aire out of order animes but i love it regardless. The mysterious tone and even the BGM had me totally focused and the voice acting was not bad either. Really emotional characters draw you in Beniko i like a lot shes a mysterious women and kind of reminds of the Russian women from Black Lagoon (cant spell her name so i wont even try lol) Looking forward to more im definitely sticking with this series.
Old 2008-04-08, 07:24   Link #85
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

First time in a while I've been totally lost on watching a first episode until I realised I'm supposed to be lost and just took what came.

And in the end, I came out of it very intrigued with the characters and their secrets and I can't wait for future episodes. Murasaki softened up a tad bit too quick for my liking, but she's a lovely girl and I won't hold it against her.

Also loved the two girls listening outside his door when he was getting the job offer to protect Murasaki.

I'll be skipping over the OP everytime afterwards though, jeebus.

And its Balalaika you're thinking of Sinestra.
Old 2008-04-08, 07:33   Link #86
Supah Em
*Scanlator

to give you hints, murasaki's portrayal on the light novels was more light hearted and didnt focus much on the tsun tsun side. but when those moments happens it leaves an impression, not unlike some tsunderes who focus too much on the antsy bratty attitutde for most of the series and only change near the end of the series.
Old 2008-04-08, 07:57   Link #87
Westlo
Lets be reality

I'm really looking forward to seeing manga chapter 2s events animated, Beniko = awesome.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 08:00   Link #88
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Thanks Seditary i get that vibe every time i hear Beniko speak or look at her mannerisms. So murasaki's tsun tsun side is down played in the light novels? I think either way works with how young she is they can get away with either. Shes very cute but seeing such a sad and lonely child breaks my heart, I think my favorite scene had to be Kurenai hugging her at the end in the park.
Old 2008-04-08, 08:31   Link #89
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molenir View Post
Just a few days ago, I would have agreed with you. After the most recent animes, I was a disappointed. The only ones I really enjoyed at all recently, were Bamboo Blade and Minami-ke, though I decided to give True Tears another chance now that its fully subbed.

About the only show I thought I'd be looking forward to was SA. Never really enjoyed VK, To LoveRu seemed a bit too haremish for me, and I hated Geass. But what a surprise. Trouble is actually off to a fairly good beginning, Drauga is funny as hell, and Kurenai looks really good. Things are looking up a bit for this season.
I'm almost shocked anyone would even say that this season is 'weak' in any means. For most people, Geass should please (IMO, the new Geass episode made me weak in the knees. I just love silly Taniguchi Goro anime. The sillier the better) and then there's Macross too. I agree with all three of the shows mentioned and though they won't be classics in all probability, they are serviceable and maybe even end up pretty good/great. Then there's Zettai Karen Children and Kamen no Maid Guy and there's a slew of potentially pretty good comedies there.

I'm also anticipating Special A and Soul Eater. Bones making Soul Eater, I hate to admit it, but there's some reputation with something being made by that company.

I guess the only thing potentially missing is the ef-style serious romance, but I haven't watched a bunch of new shows yet.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 08:33   Link #90
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I'm almost shocked anyone would even say that this season is 'weak' in any means.

I guess the only thing potentially missing is the ef-style serious romance, but I haven't watched a bunch of new shows yet.
Yeah I feel the same, aside from the serious romance ef/true tears style anime this season seems to have something for everyone. If you have a broad taste than you should be loving this season once you filter out the good stuff from the mediocre and crap.
Old 2008-04-08, 08:47   Link #91
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

I think people meant with whats been aired so far. We have still have a lot more series that are forthcoming.
Old 2008-04-08, 08:52   Link #92
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I think people meant with whats been aired so far. We have still have a lot more series that are forthcoming.
If you mean by fansubbed, I somewhat agree, but a lot of them were surprisingly good IMO. The two Xebec fanservice shows were better than I thought, Macross/Geass is no surprise, Druaga already looks good (WTF with the second episode 1 of Druaga though?) and there's.... Chi's Sweet Home.

Then again, there's Soul Eater and Zettai Karen. The two shows that are getting the biggest rave reviews in blogs this season. Aside from Geass/Macross of course.

Back to the topic at hand, Kure-nai seems to have potential. Jesus, I have another 10+ shows I'm following this season. I always think there'll be a shortage of new shows and this happens.
Old 2008-04-08, 09:06   Link #93
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:

Back to the topic at hand, Kure-nai seems to have potential. Jesus, I have another 10+ shows I'm following this season. I always think there'll be a shortage of new shows and this happens.
I know how you feel I dont think i can cut anything else out of my daily life to make time for all these series unless i want to stop eating. I was not that impressed by the two new fanservice shows they werent horrible but we have seen all that before. But Kure-nai is by far my best surprise i had little to no knowledge since i have not read up on it. But the potential is huge hope they can ride the wave of success. I am very excited i just emailed 12 friends and let them know they needed to pick this up
Old 2008-04-08, 09:39   Link #94
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

The only thing with Kurenai is that its plot is a total mystery. I'm surprised at how good the animation and writing was. You'd think something would happen straightforward, then the characters would interact more with their action than words to do deviate a bit. I wish more anime does that instead of putting everything to words all the time.

So far, lots of snappy and witty dialogue. I just hope that's not all there is to the show.
Old 2008-04-08, 09:52   Link #95
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
So far, lots of snappy and witty dialogue. I just hope that's not all there is to the show.
As expected from a series based on a good light novel and there is more to it than just that!
Old 2008-04-08, 10:08   Link #96
Supah Em
*Scanlator

i hope the fight scenes in the novels wont get toned down in the anime adaptations, but basing from the first fight scene(along the kuhouin estate) that i saw, it seems that brains base has it all covered
Old 2008-04-08, 10:11   Link #97
Westlo
Lets be reality

They did a pretty awesome job with the fight scenes in Baccano! and I liked the short fight scene they showed.
Old 2008-04-08, 11:31   Link #98
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

I like this one but i cant exactly pinpoint why. Character design wise is good, VA is so far ok, story's a bit more slow paced and SoL like.

and oh, i love the quiet piano solo bgm very much

Keeping this one tagged for further watching
Old 2008-04-08, 13:35   Link #99
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
I like this one but i cant exactly pinpoint why.
Probably the emotional ups and downs of Murasaki. I don't know that it is, but she make me want to hug her despite her bossy princess attitude (And I usually am "meh" with those types ).

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 14:05   Link #100
Sparrow1770
Avian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Probably the emotional ups and downs of Murasaki. I don't know that it is, but she make me want to hug her despite her bossy princess attitude (And I usually am "meh" with those types ).
HANDS ON YOUR HEAD! STEP AWAY FROM THE LOLI!

Actually some people define moe in terms of whether you want to hug and protect the character. Seen that idea tossed around in various places. I don't necessarily agree with that definition, but hey... whatever works for ya.
Sparrow1770 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, brains-base, characters, daily life, light novel adaptation, loli, shounen