AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 67 38.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 49 28.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 18.02%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 10.47%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 2.91%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.58%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.58%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-10, 14:17   Link #81
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Don't forget, the Deculture Edition will also be included on top of the 32 minute cut.
Old 2008-04-10, 23:27   Link #82
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

I'm not sure if the writers of this show is aware of the fact that "你好娘 (ni hao niang/nyan)" in Chinese is indeed a phrase used to tease effeminate males about their behavior and appearance. I literally laughed out loud when Ranka sang the nyan-nyan song to Alto's face.
Old 2008-04-12, 08:30   Link #83
noir senshi
Escapist Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DOT].L View Post
I'm not sure if the writers of this show is aware of the fact that "你好娘 (ni hao niang/nyan)" in Chinese is indeed a phrase used to tease effeminate males about their behavior and appearance. I literally laughed out loud when Ranka sang the nyan-nyan song to Alto's face.
Perhaps that was purposely put that in, otherwise it would be an amazing coincidence.
Old 2008-04-12, 20:24   Link #84
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

woah I didn't notice that Macross got it's own section, about damn time for this franchise. Well Frontier I only watched the decultured one and it's pretty impressive so far. Well I will probably write more later after I finished watching episode one.
Old 2008-04-13, 20:59   Link #85
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
you will my friend is the jewel of the year (With code geass 2)
Old 2008-04-13, 23:13   Link #86
GoTz
Deleted

Hmmm...if this series is taking place give or take 15 years after Robotech: Next Generation, then why are there still tanks involved?? Shouldn't they have more destroids and what not. I dunno, just wondering lol, both versions were still awesome

Currently Watching:Bleach, Naruto, Vampire Knight, Nabari no Ou, Code Geass 2, Macross Frontier, KGNE, Higurashi,
Kanon 2006,
Top Favorites:Scrapped Princess, Wolf's Rain, Juuni Kokki, Hunter x Hunter, Code Geass, Serei no Moribito, Death Note, Eureka Seven, Claymore
Old 2008-04-14, 02:22   Link #87
cerrian

Having seen episode 2, I can say that the staff made the right decision in sacrificing the fight scenes in favor of extending the concert scenes. The character developments during before and during the concert are key in establishing the relationships between the main characters which episode 2 builds from.
Old 2008-04-14, 09:35   Link #88
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Having seen episode 2, I can say that the staff made the right decision in sacrificing the fight scenes in favor of extending the concert scenes. The character developments during before and during the concert are key in establishing the relationships between the main characters which episode 2 builds from.
I always considered this version of the first episode as short term loss for long term gain and episode 2 proves that. If you went from Deculture to episode 2 Sheryl's actions make no sense at all. And anyway the Deculture Vs TV Ep 1 debate should die with the release of the 32 min version on Blueray/dvd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTz View Post
Hmmm...if this series is taking place give or take 15 years after Robotech: Next Generation, then why are there still tanks involved?? Shouldn't they have more destroids and what not. I dunno, just wondering lol, both versions were still awesome
This isn't Robotech and the Destroids have been retired well before the start of Frontier. If you're looking for a Destroid fix have a look at the OP and notice that Destroid Bomber which is piloting by a woman.
Old 2008-04-16, 14:17   Link #89
Tiberium Wolf

BTW, what should we consider Deculture to be? There seems to have a few more scenes than the actual ep 1 but since both have the same contents... which one should I delete?
Old 2008-04-16, 16:58   Link #90
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Deculture = Directors Cut Version

thus it is a matter of preference to which version you wish to keep.

although it is in my personal opinion that i think it's a good idea to keep both.
Old 2008-04-16, 17:05   Link #91
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
Deculture = Directors Cut Version

thus it is a matter of preference to which version you wish to keep.

although it is in my personal opinion that i think it's a good idea to keep both.
And when the DVD version comes out, what then?

Old 2008-04-16, 17:06   Link #92
Westlo
Lets be reality

The 27 minute Deculture version will be on the BlueRay/DVD for volume 1, the 24 min tv version will not be on there and instead be turned into a 32 minute version of episode 1. Scenes left out from the Deculture version, full ED sequence... maybe a new scene or two?

3 versions of the first episode
Old 2008-04-16, 17:14   Link #93
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
And when the DVD version comes out, what then?

....you make it sound like i have to choose one or the other, why?

Can't i have it all? huh? HUUUUH?

Old 2008-04-17, 00:17   Link #94
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

^^Chill dude! I was just pulling your leg!

Anyway, Shinsen has released their version of episode 1 (or 1b).

Old 2008-04-17, 12:24   Link #95
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
^^Chill dude! I was just pulling your leg!

Anyway, Shinsen has released their version of episode 1 (or 1b).

I know.

I download that version too.

Gattai had go, since it has problems with vlc, it was sad because the quality was quiet good, but i hate softsub.....
Old 2008-04-17, 12:40   Link #96
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
shinen subs quality is good??
Old 2008-04-17, 13:29   Link #97
cerrian

Anyone know what happened to the ED on Shinsen's version?
Old 2008-04-17, 15:27   Link #98
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadorna View Post
shinen subs quality is good??
the subs are easier on the eyes, lot more detailed. They even subbed the eyecatcher, including on screen text

:3

Love the karaoke subs too.

only problem is that the .avi container is at 233MB size, compared to 170MB .mp4 container for AiA I-Z version.

Yet the quality of the video is worse!

.mp4 is at almost High Def quality, amazing really.

But Shinsen sub's version....well its standard def i think.

if i could combine Shinsen subs with AiA I-Z video then i'll be very happy.

Since i've been watching Gundam 00 i was expecting the same level of video sharpness and quality, but it seems that my expectation has been falsely justified, i blame AiA I-Z version.

Why did they have to have such nice encoding, in such a small package?

*point a accusing finger in a random direction*
Old 2008-04-18, 01:41   Link #99
4Tran

I finally got a chance to watch this episode, and I'm quite pleased by what I saw. I don't think that it's quite as good as the Deculture version since so much cool stuff was skipped; there was simply too much material to pack in a 25-minute episode and we can tell that the creators were even making 10 second cuts just to make everything fit. However, the good aspect of it was that they were consciously sacrificing cool scenes in favour of character development. I see this as a bit of a rarity in anime where the flash is often favoured over substance.

My feelings are largely a reiteration of what I originally said about the Deculture version:
Quote:
-The opening narration was just awesome - I especially loved the diaspora pattern with the date in the background. That five second sequence is one of the best pieces of exposition I've ever come across.
- Sheryl is shaping up to be a very interesting character. I tend to dislike Alto's archetype, but I like what I see so far. It's still to early to determine what to make of Ranka so far.
- The scene with the pilots practicing their routines is an homage to Macross Plus, but it's also based on how real pilots and other athletes visualize their
- I like Ranka's cellphone. It shows a sense of visual style on the part of the creative staff, and it's fun. On a similar note, I like the fine attention to detail placed on mundane stuff like the way the cleaner robots get rid of soft drink cans. These, and the other bits of animation go a long way in making the setting come to life.
- The intermix of music, sound effect, and silence with the visuals is another very nice touch. Kanno Yoko is doing a great job so far.
There's a couple of comments I'd like to add: the technological design of the show is one of the very best I've seen in anime - everything has a lived-in feel that blends older technologies where it makes sense and adds nifty little bits of new, unusual, or quirky technologies where things can be improved upon. While much of this can be attributed to the Macross franchise in general, Macross Frontier has done a great job of capturing that feel and of making the setting come alive.

The second is that I really like what they did with the characters, Sheryl in particular. She seems to be both a consummate professional and a complete egoist at the same time. I feel that her very character gives proof to the feeling that anime in general would do well to explore more kinds of personalities (particularly in terms of the protagonists) rather dwelling on the same archetypes over and over again. Alto also fares very well compared to other lead characters in mecha shows, and perhaps in anime in general. We need to see more from him, but he's extremely promising so far.
Old 2008-04-19, 17:25   Link #100
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

The oversubbing () of Macross Frontier continues...

AnimeOne, Gekkostate, and Menclave have tossed their collective hats into the ring with their joint release of episode one!

Closed Thread