AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shana

Notices

View Poll Results: Shakugan no Shana S II OVA - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 1 2.70%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 45.95%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 29.73%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 10.81%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 8.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.70%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-13, 02:03   Link #21
alvinkhorfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah I really feel bad for Junko after watching this. It's like she was ruthlessly killed twice now. Kind of makes you think back to how upset Yuji was about Hirai and she just ran out of time. With Junko she was at least going to reconcile with her mother, but got taken out by Shana. Sure in the end there might not be a difference since her mother's memories will vanish. But she really was trying to accomplish one small thing before she left.
I agree with you 100%! Not to mention she would like a second date with Hamaguchi Yukio as well. I guess that we can also use Akai Namida (insert song for Shakugan no Shana Movie) to pay tribute to Junko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
Did they explain who that American Man was in the series? I can't actually remember, hopefully they'll touch on it next OVA.
This episode originates from Shana Novel Volume 0, that has not been covered at all in both Season 1 and Season 2 of the series. Whatever answer you want to know about the American model should be available in the next OVA episode.
Old 2010-07-13, 13:12   Link #22
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Very good ova . Finally serious stuff .
Yes , i agree , those ova are more relationships issues .

We saw the Cold Shana , no emotion for human but with Wilhelmina this is intense .
But in the end , Flame Haze aren't different than Human , they both got strong relationship .

Next ep = Action ?

PS : Young Shana was so cute at 12:30 !
Old 2010-07-14, 01:26   Link #23
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I liked the previous two episodes, but unfortunately this one bored me to death. Where is Shana? And why isn't Yuuji there? I don't really care about some poor Torch, or about a Tomogara that we haven't even seen yet.

I also didn't like how apathetic Shana was. She hardly seemed to care about the people who had just lost their daughter. I mean, I know they are going to forget about her, but it wouldn't kill her to be at least a bit nicer to them while in the guise of their daughter.

I hate to say it, but I was a bit disappointed in this episode. The only thing that I really liked was the visual display of what Shana sees as she interprets the Power of Existence she's absorbed from the Torch, like the connections and stuff. The overall animation was nice, though I didn't like the glacially slow pace of the episode.

Was this episode the beginning of a Gaiden or something? Because this seems to me to be more like the "old" Shana.
Old 2010-07-14, 01:39   Link #24
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

It is. This happened after Wilhelmina and Shana went on separate ways after the Tendoukyuu was "destroyed" back in Hongkong and before Shana arrived in Misaki City.

Hate it as you might, but this is the old Shana, the same Shana from Season One Episode One.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-07-14, 04:37   Link #25
alvinkhorfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
went on separate ways after the Tendoukyuu was "destroyed" back in Hongkong
I realize that it is off topic a bit, but I am curious of Marcus H.'s statement.

Marcus H.:
What do you mean by "destroyed"? Do you mean that the Tendoukyuu was not completely destroyed and there is a slight chance that the Tendoukyuu can be rebuilt and resurrected?
Old 2010-07-14, 05:43   Link #26
klare

the old Shana is interesting as well, so many new things for her to learn to live amomng humans

whatever the ending may be, involvement in this case and with Junko's family may change her a bit

btw her name is not Shana at that time...
Old 2010-07-14, 10:19   Link #27
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I also didn't like how apathetic Shana was. She hardly seemed to care about the people who had just lost their daughter. I mean, I know they are going to forget about her, but it wouldn't kill her to be at least a bit nicer to them while in the guise of their daughter.
You now realize how much Yuji has changed Shana over the course of the series, many people seem to not realize this change as it happens so this episode was a true eye opener imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Was this episode the beginning of a Gaiden or something? Because this seems to me to be more like the "old" Shana.
Yes, like others said, this Shana and the Shana from season 1 episode 1 are the same, remember Shana didnt give a care about Yuji being a torch at first either.
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Old 2010-07-14, 15:59   Link #28
Casshern

I for one was glad that there was no Yuji. He and Yoshida were the two characters that really got on my nerves throughout both seasons. Typically dense, unremarkable in any aspect whatsoever, characterless and utterly boring is how I saw Yuji. The typical lame male protagonist that was so common a while back. I'm glad that the more recent anime are moving away from that stereotype, and I'm especially happy that this OVA had no Yuji. Just when I was thinking I need to get my Kugimiya fix and dreading having to watch Yuji being boring and generaly lame all over, it turns out there was no Yuji. Awesome.
Old 2010-07-15, 04:51   Link #29
Nietono no Shana
Godsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
I for one was glad that there was no Yuji. He and Yoshida were the two characters that really got on my nerves throughout both seasons. Typically dense, unremarkable in any aspect whatsoever, characterless and utterly boring is how I saw Yuji. The typical lame male protagonist that was so common a while back. I'm glad that the more recent anime are moving away from that stereotype, and I'm especially happy that this OVA had no Yuji. Just when I was thinking I need to get my Kugimiya fix and dreading having to watch Yuji being boring and generaly lame all over, it turns out there was no Yuji. Awesome.
I agree with this opinion!
Old 2010-07-16, 15:58   Link #30
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Yes , he's right , i was thinking about it too .
Blame those authors ! Damn why they can't make at least normal male lead . Yeah cuz i don't see them normal , they're lame and dumb yes
Old 2010-07-16, 19:45   Link #31
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Oh no, he's not really dumb. He was just downplayed a bit because they want to avoid unneeded foreshadowing (Yuji, in the light novels, nearly killed Wilhelmina by fighting back using Blutsauger. This happened after being tied up and prepared to be executed, which is part of Wilhelmina's plan of displacing the Reiji Maigo.).
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2010-07-16, 20:47   Link #32
yajra03

i like the character of yuji. he is a normal person before he met shana thats why he is just normal.

"nope, god hates us. even if we go, he'll send us back"
Old 2010-07-17, 00:01   Link #33
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

I actually like Yuji a lot, not the Yuji from the start but the Yuji that he slowly starts to become as the series progresses. By the end of season 2 he is actually pretty reliable and can actually do useful things.

But yes novel Yuji is just sooooo much more awesome, the anime seriously downplayed him
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Old 2010-07-17, 00:32   Link #34
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Spoiler for light novels:

Old 2010-07-17, 01:36   Link #35
yajra03

yeah one of the best characteristic of yuji is his development, he is not just a stagnant character.

"nope, god hates us. even if we go, he'll send us back"
Old 2010-07-17, 10:18   Link #36
matteas
Member Member

It was a really interesting episode. Basically, it showed us how a regular Flame Haze feels and acts and how insensitive she is. And also how unaccustomed and unfamiliar they are with life of normal humans. Shana was unable to act humanly and gave off a rather out-of-place feeling.
Old 2010-07-18, 14:50   Link #37
Xet
Storm of the 7 Heavens

Send a message via MSN to Xet
The thing i liked the most about this is OVA was they never even came close to catching the bad guy. It focused as a reminder of the change in the Flame Haze of Nieneto no Shana (sp) to Shana. This helps maybe show why she had an interest in Yuji just after showing a kind of mercy she did with the girls family. This was not as good as Shana's and Whilheimas (learn2spell i know) OVA but served as a massive affirmation that characters have been developed.
Old 2010-08-11, 08:35   Link #38
Akka

Very nice.
An endearing "back to the roots" episode, talking about the things that, sadly, the main plot has a bit forgotten in the meantime to focus on just action and stretching beyond boringness a stalling love story.

The tone is dark and sad, and it's good to rekindle a bit with what really are the horrible consequences of Tomogora's greed, and not just handwaving the collateral damages of a fight. Showing a life erased was very emotional and was done in a not-too-much-in-your-face way.
As someone who always feel for the nameless victims that are considered unimportant because they are not the main characters, I approve.
And as someone who is always ready to let himself be carried by the emotions of a show (if it's well done), I approve again.

I voted 7, could maybe even have voted 8.
Old 2010-08-14, 04:06   Link #39
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I vote 9 for this episode

When I first saw a small image of a guy giving Shana a bracelet I was instantly saying in my head "Who the bloody heck are you!"

But then watching this OVA I realized that Shana took the alias of a Torch named "Junko" who recently died from a Tomogara, and Shana is in town to investigate, having to deal with the various situations the torch had before Shana just took all of her Power of Existence.

I like this episode because it showed what exactly Shana was like before she went into the same city Yuji was living in, and how much Yuji had an impact on Shana's life as a Flame Haze. Personally at the start of this episode, I was loving the fact that Shana was back to her old traits of being "severally cold" to Junko and her family, heck even her boyfriend. Also how unfamiliar Shana feels having to live a Torch/Human's life.
Old 2010-09-14, 10:18   Link #40
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Just saw this after a long break of not watching anime for a while. This episode rocked. This was the reason why I loved Shakugan no Shana back in the day. Really loved the badass nature of her character pre-Yuuji. Easily one of my favourite episodes alongside the Wilhemma-prequel arc when Shana was 'training' to be a Flame haze back in S1.

Hopeful thinking here, but I hope this is her character nature when S3 finally airs... although I highly doubt it. I was (and still am) somewhat annoyed at the fact that Yuuji made Shana into a *exaggerated* tsundere archtype. Don't mind a bit of tsundere and moe in my characters, but as the series went on, Shana was turning more into Louise (who I despise). This was the reason I didn't like S2 as much, as well as the fact it had sheer amount of fillers.

Nonetheless, 9/10 for this episode.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2010-09-14 at 10:43.
Closed Thread