AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-01-08, 09:27   Link #19741
Sworra

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC... View Post
Painting is better, funner and more rewarding.
Practice makes perfect.. I think that most people are affraid that they spend all this money on a MG kit and don't paint it just because they might screw up on it.. Well only one way to find out.. Practice makes perfect... but hey that is totally up to you if you don't paint, im not forcing you at gun point to pick up a brush lol.. Like JC says Painting is better, funner, and more rewarding. Doesn't hurt to pick up a brush and practice on a 1/144 scale for a bit and then move to a MG or a PG.. the more you practice painting with a brush and possibly a airbrush the better you become and it actually becomes easier later on cause you learned some new skills. People say they don't have time to paint, but i see it why do you have to rush on a project that you do for a hobby.. Heck I've been putting together a 1/144 scale for about a year and shoving it to the side cause i have no time but its fully painted just have to assemble it and a whole alot of other stuff to do to it.. But this is my opinion. Cheers
Old 2011-01-08, 12:22   Link #19742
Appel

Quote:
if you are able to do that i dont doubt that at all^^ but im just too clumsy in that regard... painting just isnt for me!

i got some new kits today, too :P HG ginn type high-maneuver, no grade buster and no grade launcher strike. this will be a fun weekend^^ hopefully this will make the time go by faster while i wait for my PG astray XD
Appel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 12:55   Link #19743
JC...
I am a Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appel View Post
if you are able to do that i dont doubt that at all^^ but im just too clumsy in that regard... painting just isnt for me!
As Sworra says, practice makes perfect! There are plenty of reasons to paint; It covers up marks that remain after the nubs have been removed, you can make the kit look more detailed and you can paint it any colours of the spectrum! Well, I'm not sure if every colour is available as paint...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sworra View Post
Practice makes perfect.. I think that most people are affraid that they spend all this money on a MG kit and don't paint it just because they might screw up on it.. Well only one way to find out.. Practice makes perfect...
Yeah, people should have a go with an older HG or FG to try out painting

Quote:
Doesn't hurt to pick up a brush and practice on a 1/144 scale for a bit and then move to a MG or a PG.. the more you practice painting with a brush and possibly a airbrush the better you become and it actually becomes easier later on cause you learned some new skills.
Hand brushing is fun, but hard to master. Spray painting is still fun and pretty easy to master, and airbrushing... I can't answer that because I don't have a proper airbrush, I have an airgun though but it's kind of hard to use because of cleaning and I have to use a propellant can.

I also like making my kits look more realistic as well, with decals, weathering, adding mechanical details! The possibilities are endless!

Also one more thing, it encourages you to buy less gunpla, it can satisfy the thirst for more! Well I guess that's more than I intended to say, but happy gunpla building!
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 15:50   Link #19744
optics

Finally done. Just gotta wait for that Kira Yamato figure before I start doing my photoshoot and video tribute.

I was gonna add those water slide decals onto my SF, but I read that they don't stick well to bare plastic. There goes $10. Oh well.

Quote:
Yup, thats true, even though the PG 00 Raiser was the only kit I ever painted. Very rewarding especially when you know no one else used that color scheme. I think Bandai liked it so much that they did a G Inspection version, or red version, of it.... not really, but it is red-ish. Well thats just what I think anyways cuz their 00 is usually, or have always been, blue...

MINE:

THEIRS:

Last edited by optics; 2011-01-08 at 17:36.
optics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 19:47   Link #19745
Sworra

Quote:
Originally Posted by optics View Post
I was gonna add those water slide decals onto my SF, but I read that they don't stick well to bare plastic. There goes $10. Oh well.
You can use Mr MARK SETTER. That stuff will fuse the decal to the kit. Then afterwards get a spray can of flat top coat and spray your kit after your decals have been applied to lock in the decals. Hope this helps. Cheers
Old 2011-01-09, 16:13   Link #19746
Butagami

Quote:
Finally done. Just gotta wait for that Kira Yamato figure before I start doing my photoshoot and video tribute.

Yup, thats true, even though the PG 00 Raiser was the only kit I ever painted. Very rewarding especially when you know no one else used that color scheme. I think Bandai liked it so much that they did a G Inspection version, or red version, of it.... not really, but it is red-ish. Well thats just what I think anyways cuz their 00 is usually, or have always been, blue...

MINE:

THEIRS:
Those Strike look awesome, a bit of a shame for the Launcher with that shoulderpad on backwards, but it'll probably take a hell of a lot of modding to make that look good....

As for your PG 00, Man that looks menacing! Your reason for the /g Inspection is better than what bandai came up with
Butagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 04:41   Link #19747
Appel

i just finished the right leg of my PG astray and its already as big as most kits ive built so far XD this kit is AWESOME!
Old 2011-01-10, 04:42   Link #19748
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
i just finished the right leg of my PG astray and its already as big as most kits ive built so far XD this kit is AWESOME!
Yeah, I love putting PG kits together. They're so much more involved than MG and HG. If only they were less expensive.
Old 2011-01-10, 04:50   Link #19749
Appel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
Yeah, I love putting PG kits together. They're so much more involved than MG and HG. If only they were less expensive.
i spent as much time on one leg as i spent on a single no grade XD but im having a ton of fun with it and im taking my time to have the best experience possible^^
but yeah, the price is a proble... but it is SO worth it! and if you buy one PG a year its not THAT bad

edit:
well, so much for "taking my time..." XD

no real pose yet, just wanted to see it fully equipped for now :P

this kit was amazing build... SO many details! but its so obvious that its based on PG strike^^ even a kira cockpit figure is still on one of the sprues XD

Last edited by Appel; 2011-01-10 at 14:29.
Old 2011-01-10, 15:06   Link #19750
Sworra

Quote:
i spent as much time on one leg as i spent on a single no grade XD but im having a ton of fun with it and im taking my time to have the best experience possible^^
but yeah, the price is a proble... but it is SO worth it! and if you buy one PG a year its not THAT bad

edit:
well, so much for "taking my time..." XD

no real pose yet, just wanted to see it fully equipped for now :P

this kit was amazing build... SO many details! but its so obvious that its based on PG strike^^ even a kira cockpit figure is still on one of the sprues XD
Great job on your PG Astray Red Frame. I was at one time going to get one but i wanted the initial production version that came with the Tiger Pierce but seems you can't get it anymore unless you can get the seperate parts another way.. I have the MG of Astray Red Frame but PG would be nice one day. Cheers.
Old 2011-01-10, 15:14   Link #19751
Appel

Quote:
Great job on your PG Astray Red Frame. I was at one time going to get one but i wanted the initial production version that came with the Tiger Pierce but seems you can't get it anymore unless you can get the seperate parts another way.. I have the MG of Astray Red Frame but PG would be nice one day. Cheers.
thanks!
yeah, the initial production version would have been neat...
you can get the bonus parts on ebay though but really? 80 bucks for a 2nd sword, a stand for the swords, a beamrifle without a polycap and clear armor parts that i wont use anyway? no thanks^^
in my opinion this kit is still worth it though! the initial version with 2 swords looks a little overloaded in my opinion anyway, so im actually pretty glad that i have this one!
but as a modell kit itself its really great! not flawless but still very awesome!
Old 2011-01-10, 15:28   Link #19752
TheGame2K5

Here are my first 2 MG Gundams. I built Astray Red Frame first. Im currently working on Shin Musha and still have Astray Blue Frame to build.

Last edited by TheGame2K5; 2011-01-10 at 15:39.
TheGame2K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 16:02   Link #19753
optics

I have yet to build the shield and beam rifle for my PG Astray. I didn't even build the stand for both katanas. I don't like have extra pieces laying around. I still haven't built my skygrasper.

Got my MG Deathscythe in. Will work on this tonight. Not sure if I will have time to do the decals on the same run, but..... finally a new kit that isn't the Strike!!
Old 2011-01-11, 14:23   Link #19754
GameraBaenre

Just finished this little sucker. It was a fairly quick build taking only about 2 week total. I did a few small mods, but nothing too fancy. Not my best work, but a damn fun project nonetheless

Completed pictures: http://gamerabaenre.com/?p=1157
Complete progress: http://gamerabaenre.com/bearguy_prog.htm
GameraBaenre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 16:04   Link #19755
Appel

hehe, everyone is painting it as a panda as it seems^^ i want to see a pedobeargguy!
Old 2011-01-11, 19:13   Link #19756
optics

^ I always thought it was supposed to be a pedobear.....

I might have over did the decals…

I got to a point where the dry transfer decals were pissin me off. Mainly just the small ones. So since there were tons of stickers left, I just used those.

Damn, this guy is small. I didn't realize how small the whole thing was till I started building the head.
The skirt pieces are kind of irritating, they seem to pop off now and then. I might have to glue those small little pieces since they don't seem to be secure.
The legs, well, as soon as I put the armor on, I was like return of the thick legs. I haven't seen them since I started build the NG 1/100 SEED kits.
The hands… why did they have to do it like that? Seriously, why couldn't they just have stuck with the usual MG hand instead of this swapping crap.

Last edited by optics; 2011-01-12 at 02:06.
Old 2011-01-11, 19:54   Link #19757
Appel

Quote:
Damn, this guy is small. I didn't realize how small the whole thing was till I started building the head.
yeah, the gundam wing suits are all pretty small. deathscythe is supposed to be 16.3 meters tall according to mahq. other gundams are way taller, like the RX-78-2 with 18.5 meters or the unicorn with 23.7 meters (which is the tallest MG right now i think...).
you did a great job though! looks very cool^^
Old 2011-01-11, 20:08   Link #19758
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
I might have over did the decals…
I really like it. It makes the suit look even cooler.
Old 2011-01-11, 21:18   Link #19759
optics

Thanks thanks!!

Tried to copy that image:

I'm not a fan of beam sabers, the green glowing part. I was kind of thinking about smoothing it out and painting it silver/matte gray. Not sure though, probably just leave it, just throwing that idea out. If you noticed, my Sword Strike didn't have that attachment on both swords.
Old 2011-01-11, 22:18   Link #19760
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

That's a great shot.

I love beam sabers but the beams look a bit off when it comes to models.

Tags
gundam, gunpla, model kit, toy