AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-06-06, 15:09   Link #81
Vanguard

well where I live it seams to be only me and my best friend who like anime I never seen or heard any one else like it some times it feels no one on the whole country do ><
Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 16:09   Link #82
Solafighter
Hige

I still life on the countryside in the middle of nowhere(German-Dutch border, to be exact), so the popularity of anime is almost 0.
Old 2012-06-06, 20:09   Link #83
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I live in a big city where the people I work with watch shows like Jersey Shore, Extreme Makeover, America's Next Top Model, and Till Debt To Us Part "shudders". Besides myself I don't know anyone at work or the people in the area I live in who watches anime. I think there's plenty of them, but don't know where they are.
Old 2012-06-08, 00:07   Link #84
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Let's put it this way: if there's an anime scene in my area, I have yet to find it.

I used to know some people who were anime watchers, but I haven't really kept track of them, nor do I remember if they watch new stuff or older shows.
Old 2012-06-08, 00:33   Link #85
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
I live in a big city where the people I work with watch shows like Jersey Shore, Extreme Makeover, America's Next Top Model, and Till Debt To Us Part "shudders". Besides myself I don't know anyone at work or the people in the area I live in who watches anime. I think there's plenty of them, but don't know where they are.
Makes your head hurt doesn't it :P

If you're in a big city, there's almost certainly a club for anime and likely a convention annually. Check the local colleges.
Old 2012-06-08, 01:00   Link #86
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

If you're in a big city, there's almost certainly a club for anime and likely a convention annually. Check the local colleges.
I once thought a colleague of mine (a girl) in the ward I'm working really liked anime when she said she "She watches anime." But when I should her a favorite anime of mine in my phone, she just looked without any reactions and ignored it... I still watched though because I loved it... It hurts you know... when you thought you meet a person you thought to be a fellow anime lover...

*Note: The anime I should her is Clannad: Tomoyo's Arc ....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-10, 04:27   Link #87
Sagi

The only people that are into anime that I know are some of my friends that I went to High School with. Other people I meet through work or social events used to watch anime back in the day when toonami was on but stopped watching.
Sagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 01:14   Link #88
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

As for college anime clubs I did join one, but they're not enthusiastic about it as I was. I tried to run my own but the person who ran it with me and the people who joined lost interest, so I had to dissolve it much to my chagrin. As for the anime clubs where I live they're limited to 15-18 and won't accept people beyond the restricted age.

I do go to anime conventions when I have money. I couldn't go to Anime North this year because of costs and my relatives were away during the whole event. I was so sad, but there's one going to be hosted in Toronto again soon so I'm going to attend that one.
Old 2012-06-12, 20:22   Link #89
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Welcome to the Hallyu phenomenon, and here it even has its own cable TV channel called TVn... but thank goodness, there's RED Channel (next best thing since WOWOW) to offset the wave.
Well, there won't be anything left aside from the Sakura Media Store as I learned Soul Of Anime which was an anime figurine store is going out of business soon.
Old 2012-06-14, 12:50   Link #90
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

anime ain't popular around my area, people here here think that these are cartoons for small children which is definately wrong, and many small kids watch kiddish shows like Doremon
when some people around me found that i watch anime, they thought these are lame cartoons
apart from me i found 2 people who watch a few animes and 1 hardcore animes viewer like me and all these 3 are guys, i wonder whether there are girls around here who atleast know what anime is
Old 2012-06-14, 14:47   Link #91
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Zero.. anyone in my location is laughed at for liking anime.
Old 2012-06-15, 06:50   Link #92
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

My sister has started a trend with her friends, they all love anime and I've met other people around age 14-17 who like anime too. It's becoming a lot more popular now.

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 12:22   Link #93
AnimeTheme
MJ - Forever King of Pop

Anime is fairly popular in my area (Hong Kong).

Check out my Windows gadget gallery!

AnimeTheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 13:05   Link #94
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

In Germany Animes used to be quite popular with teenagers .... But then.... "something" changed...

At some point the companies responsible for the localisation suddenly thought, that most animes are not good for children because they have blood in them...
They got to the conclusion that anime is not for the audience they wanted to appeal (note: anime usually ran from 13:00 to 16:00) which they wanted to be 6-12 year old. They realized that animes are in most cases for (older) teenagers and not for kids.
So now guess what they did, when they localized Naruto? No they were not just not showing it because its inapprotiate, or putting the anime into an evening timeslot.
Instead they decided to make Naruto into a show for kiddies.
How you ask? hehehhehe...

ok I list what they changed:

1. They NEVER use the words "death", "dead", "dying", "killing", "slaughter", "murdering" or any words that refer to someone dying.
So what do they do instead? They replace these words with things like "beaten", "defeated", "won against", "knocked uncouncious", "abducted" or "disappeard".
Example: In the German version Itachi didn't wipe out the Uchiha Clan... instead he "abducted" them.

2. Any form of blood becomes censored.
In the German version blood is either edited away, or edited to look like drool/sweat/water.

3. The 2 things mentioned above are strictly executed,
Even when it changes the story completly.

4. In Germany the spelling of Japanease names is changed in a ridiculous way...
When someone says 'Sasuke' in Japanease, it is spelled like "Sas-Ke", but in the German version they say "Sa-SUUU-Ke"

Well you can imagine how many people >15 years would want to watch this: none.
But it seems the localisation reached it's goal. Apperantly there are some stupid kids that really watch this censored s**t.

Last edited by GreyZone; 2012-06-15 at 15:34.
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 15:24   Link #95
Lightning_Wing

Anime here is fairly unpopular, but manga is. Go figure.

^ Wow, that's as bad, if not worse than 4kids.
Old 2012-06-16, 19:59   Link #96
The Butcher
Butchered Taste

Greyzone, you're not the only one.

People in my area think it is all for kids, since DBZ & others were on Toonami. Due to that, they think all anime is for kids(lulz).

They haven't seen stuff beyond Old Shonen, but nowadays even Shonen is getting more violent.

I even tried recommending them some Seienen/stuff in original Japanese, but they wouldn't listen at all.
The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 20:04   Link #97
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Zero.. anyone in my location is laughed at for liking anime.
I know the feeling. People at my job and the area I live in pretty much look and treat me oddly due to my strong interest in anime.
Old 2012-06-16, 21:00   Link #98
Ryuudou

I live in Arizona, so I maybe it's not very popular.
Ryuudou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 16:23   Link #99
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Well i am quite surprised to be honest. I thought there would be some people saying that many people in their area watch anime, but now I see how this does not apply... This definitly cannot stay like this.

But it's the localisation-companies' own fault. Instead of repairing the image of animes, they destroy it further by changing the age level of the content.
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 18:13   Link #100
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I don't think its the localization companies fault entirely, or even mainly, for the failure of late night anime outside of Japan. If not for the fact that the way anime is sold and produced is very well suited for the low volume, it would be a failure inside Japan. Anime is a niche hobby everywhere, including Japan.

This is very opposed to mainstream works such as Western television or K-Drama. As mainstream works Western TV is produced to appeal somewhat to a very wide audience.

Anime is produced to appeal a lot to a very small audience. Anime otaku are a small and looked down upon subculture in Japan. Within anime otaku, there are further subdivisions. Most late night anime will aim to appeal a lot to one or a few of these subdivisions. Its doubtful that the niche tastes and preferences will appeal to normal people anywhere.

Late Night anime was never intended to be mainstream. It should be no surprise that it isn't very popular.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote