AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-04-29, 12:19   Link #741
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
No, actually I don't.

Is this what people think about Evangelion these days? That it was about parallel universes and time loops?
Y-Yes
Quote:
I've read a lot of crazy theories and interpretations back when Eva became popular in the west around 1999, but this is a first.
erm ... I got it first in outskirt battledom forum, before confirming it on evageeks (I can't exactly remember exactly when I read this, but I do remember D.grayman was still airing at that time though) ... and sometimes I read random top comments about Simon being a parallel world version of Shinji on TTGL youtube videos I watched so I thought it was a pretty common interpretation.
Old 2013-04-29, 12:31   Link #742
matrigs

Quote:
Is this what people think about Evangelion these days? That it was about parallel universes and time loops?
In my case, i don't think it is, but i WISH.

The one thing i DON'T want is, that the Rebuild will make the original obsolete, and pretty much a waste. If the ending of Rebuild will have no connection to EoE or the original series ending, then what was the point to watch it in the first place.

Of course nobody knew ten years ago that it would end up like this. But this series has gone a long, rocky way and definitely wasn't what it was intended to be.

The parallel universe / time loop thing is just an idea, because it would work. They can very well come up with something completely fresh.
matrigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 12:36   Link #743
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
Y-Yes

erm ... I got it first in outskirt battledom forum, before confirming it on evageeks (I can't exactly remember exactly when I read this, but I do remember D.grayman was still airing at that time though) ... and sometimes I read random top comments about Simon being a parallel world version of Shinji on TTGL youtube videos I watched so I thought it was a pretty common interpretation.
Hogwash.

The most that people ever seriously considered in the ORIGINAL was that the TV ending and the EoE ending are different. That being that Shinji accepted instrumentality in the TV ending. Though I don't think this theory is all that credible myself.

There is definitely tons of speculation of Rebuild being some sort of loop/sequel, but if it is I'd find that really stupid. Anno would practically be copying the Eva-Retake doujin, which is meh. That would be really stupid.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 12:44   Link #744
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Damn. So I can only be a hypocrite in this scenario .

That's nice and all, except I think you presented a bit of a false dilemma here.

Meanwhile Anno is laughing all the way to the bank. $$$$$
Didn't you know Reckoner? You can only be wrong. Even if you turned around and liked the next movie, you'd still be contradictory. :3

A match where only I can win and you can lose. Truly honest debate.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 12:44   Link #745
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrigs View Post
In my case, i don't think it is, but i WISH.

The one thing i DON'T want is, that the Rebuild will make the original obsolete, and pretty much a waste. If the ending of Rebuild will have no connection to EoE or the original series ending, then what was the point to watch it in the first place.

Of course nobody knew ten years ago that it would end up like this. But this series has gone a long, rocky way and definitely wasn't what it was intended to be.

The parallel universe / time loop thing is just an idea, because it would work. They can very well come up with something completely fresh.
It's okay, 3.0 already convinced me that the original will never be obsolete.

If wikipedia is still around in 2025 the original series will probably still be the main article one is linked to by default.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 13:03   Link #746
dmaxzero

OK. I have to agree with this view, I was to pissed when I wrote my point of view and this DO makes sense... I forgot about the Tsundere thingy, it adds up.

Still feels weird, wanna watch the movie a couple more times.

What is not right though is the aging part, curse of eva or whatever, we all know is because they need to sell gareki. XD
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 13:07   Link #747
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Hogwash.

The most that people ever seriously considered in the ORIGINAL was that the TV ending and the EoE ending are different. That being that Shinji accepted instrumentality in the TV ending. Though I don't think this theory is all that credible myself.
Hey, what do you want? I can(not) understand what's going on, so I have to borrow my ideals from whatever I find that resonates the most in me, and keep that stance until I find something more comfortable to my mind ...
How about you? Still going tsundere?

Quote:
There is definitely tons of speculation of Rebuild being some sort of loop/sequel, but if it is I'd find that really stupid. Anno would practically be copying the Eva-Retake doujin, which is meh. That would be really stupid.
The title of the final movie in itself is pretty expressive about it, well it might be something else similar or just something really different. But whether that's really it or not, whether you find it stupid or not ... what would that change? Some heads will still hurt and Anno will keep laughing at people's face while making money.
Quote:
Also, the 3rd impact wasn't a failure it successfully happened, all what Kaworu did was preventing it from spreading.
Screw me ... I meant the 4th impact ... argh, I do admit all those impacts are kind of annoying, though.
Old 2013-04-29, 13:12   Link #748
matrigs

Regarding the "loop-theory" - did everyone catch the number of the track on Shinjis' DAT player?

And this piece of hardware HAS some meaning as it is shown again by Shinjis' side when fighting in the end.
Old 2013-04-29, 13:23   Link #749
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Quote:
Also, the 3rd impact wasn't a failure it successfully happened, all what Kaworu did was preventing it from spreading.
Screw me ... I meant the 4th impact ... argh, I do admit all those impacts are kind of annoying, though.
Okay screw this, I need to sleep, my head hurts ... can anyone just tell me how many impact was there in total and which one killed all those T3 people ... and can "whatever the hell happened during the 14 years timeskip" considered an impact ... I'm kind of lost.
Old 2013-04-29, 13:34   Link #750
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxzero View Post

What is not right though is the aging part, curse of eva or whatever, we all know is because they need to sell gareki. XD
Yeah, 3-5 years would have been fine and also wouldn't have necessitated the stupid "curse" stuff.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 13:34   Link #751
Dextro
He Without a Title

I know that by this point in the original series I was going "What the fudge?". That is indeed what I'm thinking after watching 3.0 but I don't think it stems from the same reasons thought.

The original show left me with questions regarding the plot, this movie left me wondering what the heck Anno is trying to tell with this. That is not a good sign.

While the movie was more entertaining than the previous one I found that the only reason that happens is that, this time, we had a complete break from what we already knew from the original show to stop me from making much comparisons. The plot itself felt way too simple to be Eva though: Gendo wants the 4th impact, Misato and her crew don't, Shinji gets played as usual and Kaoru is actually shown to be quite a well presented character.

The meganeko still feels like otaku bait though even if Asuka seems to have improved a bit (even if she's just screaming too damn much and is missing the trademark eva angst this time).

Overall it feels like most symbology was thrown out the window in this third movie leaving only an entertaining action flick. Decent but not really the level I expect from Eva. It managed to get me to consider waiting for the last movie to give final judgement so at least there's that.
Old 2013-04-29, 13:37   Link #752
matrigs

Quote:
Okay screw this, I need to sleep, my head hurts ... can anyone just tell me how many impact was there in total and which one killed all those T3 people ... and can "whatever the hell happened during the 14 years timeskip" considered an impact ... I'm kind of lost.
Again, just a wild guess (someone correct me if he has a better explanation):

All the people died during the 3rd impact, but that wasn't the impact that we saw in 2.00 (or at least, the beginning of it). We saw that it was stopped before it could do significant damage.

Also, the fact that Lilith and Unit 06 are impaled by spears and in Terminal Dogma is pretty much not according to the end of 2.00.

My assumption is that Shinji didn't do any harm, but that Seele together with Unit 06 restarted the 3rd impact and made all the damage, making it so that it looked like it was Shinjis fault which results in everybody hating him. It was still just a "near 3rd impact" as Seele stopped it so it wouldn't destroy the whole universe.
Old 2013-04-29, 13:43   Link #753
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Basically Third impact is already happens. it just Kaworu manage to stop it before it gain full effect. so it kill majority of people but not all of them (like second impact).

somewhere between timeskip 12th angel appear. Kaworu is send to defeat them but by instead he seal it using the spears.

Misato and other people realize that the reason why they sealed the angel is so that someone can start another impact. hence Misato created WILLE in order to stop NERV to do another impact

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 13:46   Link #754
matrigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
Basically Third impact is already happens. it just Kaworu manage to stop it before it gain full effect. so it kill majority of people but not all of them (like second impact).

somewhere between timeskip 12th angel appear. Kaworu is send to defeat them but by instead he seal it using the spears.

Misato and other people realize that the reason why they sealed the angel is so that someone can start another impact. hence Misato created WILLE in order to stop NERV to do another impact
that's pretty much bulletproof.
Old 2013-04-29, 13:53   Link #755
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:

I see, I see, so the T3 genocidal one was indeed the 3rd impact ... silly me. *needs to rewatch the movie a third time ... after a sleep and after the headache calms down*
Old 2013-04-29, 13:57   Link #756
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

I probably want to add that 12th angel probably manage to reach Terminal Dogma and nearly absorb lilith.

also they one that seal the the angel is not Kaworu but another Rei clone. hence Kaworu doesnt know about spear thing

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 14:28   Link #757
matrigs

Quote:
I probably want to add that 12th angel probably manage to reach Terminal Dogma and nearly absorb lilith.

also they one that seal the the angel is not Kaworu but another Rei clone. hence Kaworu doesnt know about spear thing
but in this case, did they also skip angel 11 then?
Old 2013-04-29, 15:12   Link #758
Sides

Why?!? where is pen pen?
Nevertheless, it was ok, but only because I completely forgot what happened in 2.0. Having such a large gap between the movies makes it really hard to follow...
I reckon it is their intention that you go and dish out some cash to re-watch the previous movies, every time a new one is being release. Honestly I have no clue where my blu-rays are...
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 15:46   Link #759
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrigs View Post
Regarding the "loop-theory" - did everyone catch the number of the track on Shinjis' DAT player?

And this piece of hardware HAS some meaning as it is shown again by Shinjis' side when fighting in the end.
There are no evidence for a loop-theory, alternate realities, or whatever... this sounds like those guys that see a light moving in the night sky, and the first thing that comes to their mind are aliens, instead of any reasonable theory.

In any case, the looping player can allude to one of several things, for example Shinji's inability to develop both personally and socially, and being stack in conceptually the same situations personally and socially... it could also hint to his limited ambition (hm, probably this is the wrong word... lack of desire to make/find new things), that boy liked one song, and want to listen to it forever... another way to put it is that he is very scared of anything new, etc. OR for a valid LULZ-theory like the time-loops/parallel-universes, this might be the only piece of music that survived the 2nd Impact
Old 2013-04-29, 16:06   Link #760
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
There are no evidence for a loop-theory, alternate realities, or whatever...
The evidence - or should I say, clues - of such an "endless loop" scenario can be found at the very beginning of Eva 1.11 - namely,
Spoiler:

It's never outright stated that the world is stuck in a closed loop and Anno hasn't (for the time being) put further emphasis on those curious details, but the said signs are quite tantalizing and I doubt they were merely put there as a result of artistic license.

Tags
evangelion, remake