Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-12-03, 01:27   Link #1301
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
Gohan got a nice boost too =)
Poor Krillin. In just a few days, Gohan went from relative equal to far out of his league.

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 01:50   Link #1302
rpgman1

The power level concept didn't make it past the Frieza Saga. I was wondering how much of a power-up he did get from the Senzu Bean and then being healed by Dende? Is it just me or did Goku going SSJ and Frieza's final form have such high power levels from the Daizenshuu?

Last edited by rpgman1; 2009-12-03 at 02:03.
rpgman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 04:35   Link #1303
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Yeah it might've been just an alarm clock
No it was an alarm clock. I just rewatched the episode.
Old 2009-12-04, 00:15   Link #1304
SamKajam

Damn, I've been missing kai for a good 15 eps now, but I was just watching eps 30-32 and I realized you could view this story as being pretty much a story about Vegeta.

First of all, Vegeta starts off as the bag guy. Not just "a" bag guy. THE bad guy. He didn't give a shit (can I mildly swear here? I've been on gamefaqs for too long and they keep deleting my posts for swearing lol) about anyone, and killed his probably best friend ruthlessly (he's most likely been traveling with Nappa for a long time now). But after his defeat with Goku, he gets humiliated over and over again and he realizes how much more powerless he was compared to what he thought. Add to the fact that his way of life was based almost solely on pride (he was a prince god damn it).

He then goes on to see Goku completely surpass him. A guy he use to consider "damn I lost my guard down and he got me. I'll just have to recharge and blow up his planet". After the freeza saga, Vegeta suddenly finds himself in a completely different life. He's just seen a sayian who was able to go from nothing to becoming the legendary super sayian (at this point it was still legendary...), defeat someone who he was completely powerless against, and then suddenly disappear never to be seen again. Goku becomes sort of like a legend to him, so he trains hard to become the best fighter he could be because he's become so damn inspired (or whatever). It probably explains why he doesn't kill everyone on earth. He wants to see what made Goku so strong (his friends apparently) so he sticks around with them.

Suddenly one day, the legendary hero returns. But if that wasn't shocking enough for Vegeta, another sayian arrives and turns super sayain as well. Vegeta suddenly realizes that the legend was just that. A legend. It wasn't every 1000 years. That number was probably just made up since achieving the level of super sayian was just simply something that didn't happen very often. Now he can finally pass Goku.

Then the shit kinda hits the fan for him. Once again he gets shown up by Goku, then Trunks ("don't worry pops, you rest"), then Goku ditches ("lol later Vegeta") then Gohan tops him too (for a little father-son lawlfest).

Then Vegeta achieves the bad end. Tries once, fails. Tries twice, fails. Third time? "Screw this, I give up."

Goku was just a plot device to keep the story moving. Also, did anyone notice Goku's kind of a dick? I mean you could say he's care free, but he's a little too carefree you know? He sees that gohan has a broken neck and is probably dying, experienced the most fearful, painful thing in his life and Goku's just like "lol ur necks broke, here eat this." He's freakin smiling during this scene! He also never spends any time with his wife (and I'm assuming son). All he gives a damn is about is fighting .

EDIT:
Also, lol wtf? when did Goku learn how to read minds?
SamKajam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 00:40   Link #1305
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Yeah, Goku can be a bit of a deadbeat at times.

Old 2009-12-04, 00:46   Link #1306
Alchemist007
*Author

Awesome illogical skills ftw.
Old 2009-12-04, 03:52   Link #1307
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Quote:
Also, lol wtf? when did Goku learn how to read minds?
It happened in the manga as well. Goku's character since dragon ball has always been able to pick up techniques by observing them. He picked up Kame Hame Ha by watching Roshi do it once. He trained with both Kami and King Kai who have psychic type abilities to begin with. Its more or less implied that its something he's picked up from his training as a result of who he's trained with without being directly taught.
Quote:
Poor Krillin. In just a few days, Gohan went from relative equal to far out of his league.
You should watch four stars dragon ball abridged. You'll never view krillin the same again.

"Your almost has strong as gohan now". "But wait he's 5".
Old 2009-12-04, 10:02   Link #1308
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesatdusk View Post
It happened in the manga as well. Goku's character since dragon ball has always been able to pick up techniques by observing them. He picked up Kame Hame Ha by watching Roshi do it once. He trained with both Kami and King Kai who have psychic type abilities to begin with. Its more or less implied that its something he's picked up from his training as a result of who he's trained with without being directly taught.
Yeah, you're pretty much on the money. He also copied Tien's "Solar Flare" move back in the Vegeta arc. And, uh, Ginyu's dance as well? I think that sorta counts too, right?

Old 2009-12-04, 10:15   Link #1309
Vicious108

Everyone copies Tenshinhan's Taiyoken/Solar Flare. Goku, Kuririn, freaking Cell too, you name it.

Goku also copied another one of his techniques against Jeice and Burter. The Kiai, aka a yell used to reject less powerful attacks.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 14:36   Link #1310
SamKajam

Okay okay fair enough, still it was a pretty wtf moment when I saw it.
Old 2009-12-04, 14:41   Link #1311
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Everyone copies Tenshinhan's Taiyoken/Solar Flare. Goku, Kuririn, freaking Cell too, you name it.

Goku also copied another one of his techniques against Jeice and Burter. The Kiai, aka a yell used to reject less powerful attacks.
Tien should start charging royalties. He'd make a killing.

Old 2009-12-04, 19:07   Link #1312
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushroomSamba View Post
He also copied Tien's "Solar Flare" move back in the Vegeta arc.
The first time he copied the solar flare was when he fought Tien in the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament. Just a small correction I thought I'd make since "Dragon Ball" is almost never talked about .
Old 2009-12-05, 04:35   Link #1313
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
The first time he copied the solar flare was when he fought Tien in the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament. Just a small correction I thought I'd make since "Dragon Ball" is almost never talked about .
Which is a shame, because Dragon Ball is a load of fun series.
Old 2009-12-05, 15:26   Link #1314
SamKajam

Dragon Ball was pretty different from Dragon Ball Z though. Both were enjoyable, but db felt more like a tale, and dbz is a tv show.

Also, I lol'd hard at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgEYqDHnjWQ
Old 2009-12-05, 16:51   Link #1315
Vicious108

In terms of fighting techniques, DB was a lot more interesting than DBZ.

Hell, techniques actually made the difference in a fight then, instead of it being all power level-based.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 17:12   Link #1316
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
In terms of fighting techniques, DB was a lot more interesting than DBZ.

Hell, techniques actually made the difference in a fight then, instead of it being all power level-based.
Exactly. Even if someone had a lower power level, they could still win by skill and outsmarting their opponent. The fights in Dragon Ball were very creative.
Old 2009-12-05, 17:18   Link #1317
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

It is a shame that DBZ couldn't have followed that formula, especially seeing as though we'd have a completely different series. Of course i've got nothing against DBZ, though it's just a fan's thought.
Old 2009-12-06, 00:45   Link #1318
Peanutbutter

Dragonball was fun, until Piccolo started the "enemy who appears to destroy the earth" cycles and it felt repetitive after a while.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 01:10   Link #1319
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Dragonball was fun, until Piccolo started the "enemy who appears to destroy the earth" cycles and it felt repetitive after a while.
The Piccolo Daimao arc is my favorite arc in Dragon Ball. Everything just went horribly wrong after the 22nd tournament, which resulted in tragedy, loss, and despair for our heroes. Because everything looked so hopeless and bleak, I was on the edge of my seat wondering how Goku was going to persevere in such a difficult situation. The thrill and entertainment factors were top notch, for me at least.
Old 2009-12-06, 04:25   Link #1320
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Watching 34 again you have to appreciate efficiency of Vegeta's fights. Just goes all out and wins. No offers to run away, just taunts a little and then owns them. Unless they are stronger, then it's a problem.