AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-29, 17:41   Link #981
Chiefklondog

I was just thinking about this and was wondering if anyone else could see this as a possible outcome.....

think its possible for a 160 pitch and that pitch be hit for a home run for their loss?
Old 2009-11-30, 01:42   Link #982
poko-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefklondog View Post
I was just thinking about this and was wondering if anyone else could see this as a possible outcome.....

think its possible for a 160 pitch and that pitch be hit for a home run for their loss?

That's mean Aoba's dream comes true, but Waka's dream doesn't.

NOOO Adachi sensei. Don't do that!
Old 2009-11-30, 03:00   Link #983
DanielSong39

I hope Koh's team scores 5 runs in the next inning and drop-kicks Ryouh out of the tournament.

I'm sick of these guys; move onto a more interesting team, please...
Old 2009-11-30, 09:11   Link #984
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
I'm sick of these guys; move onto a more interesting team, please...
I think they're it. It's not like they've really featured anyone else as the big showdown rivals. I have a feeling that this is the last baseball game that they're going to show in full for the rest of the manga (assuming they do show it in full).
Old 2009-11-30, 09:29   Link #985
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Indeed, Adachi is trying to squeeze the game for all its worth.
Old 2009-11-30, 12:56   Link #986
poko-kun

according to this
http://www.onemanga.com/Cross_Game/127/08/

I think Kou will not reach 160 kmph in this game, but they will get a ticket to koshien.
Kou might be upset, but Aoba just like Ichiyo, so she will make a bet on another game.
(and we might have the flashback about his 160 kmph in Koshien)
Old 2009-11-30, 17:28   Link #987
The Rumblefish
Hurray for Takako Shimura

Kô hitting 160km/h for chapter 160 has never been closer from being possible, especially if we get flashbacks with Mizuki's help.
Old 2009-11-30, 18:06   Link #988
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by poko-kun View Post
That's mean Aoba's dream comes true, but Waka's dream doesn't.

NOOO Adachi sensei. Don't do that!
I was thinking Wakaba's dream will never come true anyway, because Aoba can't be center right?
Old 2009-11-30, 18:14   Link #989
The Rumblefish
Hurray for Takako Shimura

She does not need to. She will indeed be seen at centerfield, on Akane's contest-winning poster.

Aoba is the only one who has already fulfilled her share of making Wakaba's dream happen. The rest is up to the guys.
Old 2009-11-30, 20:19   Link #990
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

zzz. I got impatient and picked up the manga. I burned through that manga so fast though and I am now sad... =(

I would like to make one comment... People talk about the subtly of the manga all the time compared to the anime's supposed "give it all away approach." But I just don't see it. I think both are subtle in their approach. The anime might just seem more apparent because it is easier to notice changes in expression in animation and tone of voice than in still pictures with words...

And I don't believe any of Kou's BS one bit. He doesn't actually love Akane. 160 kmh is a definite. It might be a case of Kou having to face Mishima with full bases loaded, and him pitching that, or the game losing pitch will be 160 kmh. Either sounds entirely plausible.

BTW, how fast are the scanlation groups usually?
Old 2009-11-30, 22:50   Link #991
Proto

One day after the RAW is released, so pretty fast I'd say. They are normally released on Sunday-Mondays (RAW- scanlated version).

In any case, it seems you are suffering from the same guilt syndrome that I suffered from when I burned through the manga some months ago. Good for you, you avoided the two big hiatus period the series went through during this year.

Oh, and I agree with your opinion of the manga, the anime and how subtle they are, but people here who read the manga first seem to idolize it to an incredibly degree, so I wouldn't say it too loud if I were you.
Old 2009-12-01, 03:32   Link #992
jpwong

I dunno, the anime has subtleties, but some things just seem to blare out louder in the anime compared to the manga, though it's entirely possible it's because of the translator's choice of words. Then again it could be that because the anime has finite length of broadcast time each week, when they condense several pages of stuff down to fit a specific scene, it just hits fast than the manga does.
Old 2009-12-01, 09:06   Link #993
Proto

In a sense that is also because you alreaddy know what to look for
Old 2009-12-01, 09:21   Link #994
jpwong

I suppose that's true enough. It's a lot easier in the anime to see who's talking to who, and I've had at least one scene that I completely mis-read in the manga and didn't really take notice until I saw it in the anime.
Old 2009-12-01, 12:20   Link #995
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

just how long is this game going to last?
Old 2009-12-01, 12:42   Link #996
Nosauz

Well, it would be much more enjoyable if Kuruma was back in the announcer box, other than that lets have mizuki do some "detective" work.
Old 2009-12-01, 13:12   Link #997
joeboygo
mechaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I would like to make one comment... People talk about the subtly of the manga all the time compared to the anime's supposed "give it all away approach." But I just don't see it.
Hmm, I think I know why:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I burned through that manga so fast though and I am now sad... =(
Subtlety isn't something you dig up with a speed plow. You are comparing subtle against slightly less subtle. I don't know who suggested that the anime had a "give it all away approach" but whoever it was may have been watching some other show. The anime retains a large measure of the subtlety of its source, so the contrast between the anime and the manga isn't that great. Still and all, because it is targeted at a younger demographic, the anime has to be dumbed down a smidgen so that it doesn't sail clear over the heads of the kids that tune in. That's not to say that the anime is bad. Far from it. That's precisely why it's been such a handy tool for manga "exegesis."

Subtlety is usually something that can only be appreciated after some pause, reflection, and perhaps a doubtle-take (or triple or quadruple...). After all, if it jumps right at you on first impression then (duh) it wasn't very subtle at all. This is particularly true in this case because the subtlety we all like to talk about results from the narrative technique Adachi uses, which relies heavily on severe economy of expression. That means that the subtlety isn't expressed in the story, which is simple enough for kids to follow, or in the underlying themes (shared loss, camaraderie, youthful romance) which are timeless, universal and pretty damned obvious. Instead, Adachi creates subtlety in the vague details, the accumulation of small, somethimes niggling little bits and the empty spaces in between. The real fun lies in finding these details, gathering them up, putting the pieces together then realizing how consistent Adachi has been with them. That's why Adachi can recycle a baseball story three times (or more) and we will lap it up each time.

Hence, if we want to discuss subtlety in an Adachi manga we can't take the big-picture approach. Parsing the subtlety must needs wading into the details and hashing them out - who said or did what, where, to whom, when, how etc. And most of the time these details come in the form of blanks that we are supposed fill in ourselves; i.e. what does that stupid facial expression really mean, or what did he or she really mean to say when she said that, or what really happened at that time, etc. One problem I would have in reading the manga after having seen the anime is that I would be filling most of those blanks with details supplied by the anime, which does most of that work for you. What comes first will necessarily diminish what follows, so individual preferences should determine the order in which they are taken in. As far as I'm concerned it makes more sense to go from the medium with fewer details (the manga) to the one with more (the anime) because then you would have something new to look forward to. Not only does the manga have fewer and vaguer "clues,"
it has no color, sound, inflection, music etc. Why not give yourself a chance to imagine these things before letting the anime do it for you.

Ha ha, long post, 'cuz it'll be a while again before I'm back - I promise. I'm finally on the road, and we should be landing in Osaka in a few hours. I look forward to buying the Sunday off the stands again. Whoopee.
Old 2009-12-01, 13:18   Link #998
Proto

Hi joeboygo, nice to see you temporarily back. You should drop in the anime thread once in a while, there are some insights there by the anime-only watchers that I'm sure you'd like.

edit: just read the translation for the latest chapter, and i've got to say I love this translator. For once someone understands that translation is not the same as transliteration. Great job there.

Quote:
just how long is this game going to last?
It's most probably Cross Game's last game, so enjoy it while you can. After all, it only seems long because of the long hiatus we've got rather than the number of manga chapters invested in it.

Last edited by Proto; 2009-12-01 at 13:32.
Old 2009-12-01, 14:01   Link #999
Nosauz

Actually episode 35 pretty much is Give it all away compared to the same manga chapter that deals with the choco. And yea proto may have it right, this might cross game's last game, considering adachi has never really drawn out a koshien game, except for maybe in touch, where as h2 ended at the road to koshien. But then again there is some hint that koshien might be the last game because of the dream, although they don't face of against a foe like mishima/oikawa, I'm pretty sure that if 160 doesn't come in this game it will for koshien.
Old 2009-12-01, 14:16   Link #1000
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

H2 had games at the Koshien at least twice. Summer and winter, even.

Closed Thread

Tags
mitsuru adachi, shounen