AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2019-06-15, 12:18   Link #261
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Age: 71
Perhaps the low point of the series so far for me this week. Zenitsu was just annoying. If he was intended as comic relief, it didn't work for me.

And why doesn't Tanjiro release Nezuko from the box before going off? Maybe he thought the kids would be frightened by her muzzle? Or that she might get hurt (pretty unlikely given what we've seen of Nezuko)?

Apparently they had electricity even in remote rural homes like the one here. Doubtful it would be that common outside urban areas.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-15, 12:20   Link #262
p-kun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
And why doesn't Tanjiro release Netsuko from the box before going off?
Because it's still bright outside, so Nezuko will die if Tanjiro releases her.
p-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-15, 12:21   Link #263
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'm not sure there is a nice way to say this...Can Zenitsu die before the start of the next episode? I feel incredible sympathy for the kid stuck with him. I mean his brother has been kidnapped, he's separated from his sister, and yet the worst thing may be his fate of traveling with one of the most annoying people I've seen in a long time. From the OP it's certain he's got skills. But wow it goes beyond any attempt at comedy with this guy. He's not funny, he's just painfully annoying. It's a powerful debate whether I should just mute the show while he's on screen.

Ignoring that guy...the rest of the episode was fine. The boar guy seems entertaining if a bit nuts in his own way. Tanjiro is doing pretty well despite being extremely banged up from the previous fights. And I'm sure Nezuko will enter the picture once the sun sets. Going to be a bit troublesome dealing with that oni if he can just rearrange that house as he pleases.
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-15, 12:25   Link #264
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Age: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-kun View Post
Because it's still bright outside, so Nezuko will die if Tanjiro releases her.
Ah yes. But remember that when Tanjiro put down the box he told the kids that they would be protected if he were not to return. How could Nezuko have done that in broad daylight?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-15, 12:41   Link #265
p-kun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Ah yes. But remember that when Tanjiro put down the box he told the kids that they would be protected if he were not to return. How could Nezuko have done that in broad daylight?

Because the demon in the house won't go out in daylight. He'll die. If he's coming out, he'll come out at night.
p-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-15, 13:05   Link #266
Haak
Me, An Intellectual
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 30
Yeah, I figured Zenitsu's introduction would be a bit polarising. Can't blame people for hating him - When I was reading the manga I was thinking to myself "I'm probably gonna hate this guy in anime form because then there'll be sound to him." XP

Also gotta laugh at the sheer hypocrisy between Tanjiro and Zenitsu. Tanjiro acts indignant when the kids abandoned his sister claiming the box was "more important than his life" but he did the exact same thing when he discovered Muzan. And Zenitsu's screaming for his dear life throughout the enitre time yet as soon as the young boy calls for his brother, Zenitsu tells him not to yell because it'll attract the demon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Ah yes. But remember that when Tanjiro put down the box he told the kids that they would be protected if he were not to return. How could Nezuko have done that in broad daylight?
What p-kun said: If they stayed outside next to the box, they'd either be protected by the sunlight or protected by Nezuko.

Last edited by Haak; 2019-06-15 at 13:54.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-15, 14:10   Link #267
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In a cruel yet beautiful world
Age: 29
I'm conflicted, because... On one hand, yes, Zenitsu is annoying and ridiculous. But on the other hand, the reactions that others have to him are hilarious. But that's just my initial impression at the moment. This is probably gonna get old incredibly fast.
__________________
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-15, 14:54   Link #268
Nivek von Beldo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Yeah Zenitsu seems a bad comic relief, like a poor's man Monk Miroku, but miroku was genuinely funny.

And the Hog Man from nowhere...that was really funny
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-15, 14:54   Link #269
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Age: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
I'm conflicted, because... On one hand, yes, Zenitsu is annoying and ridiculous. But on the other hand, the reactions that others have to him are hilarious. But that's just my initial impression at the moment. This is probably gonna get old incredibly fast.
I think that's my fundamental problem with Zenitsu. On the whole, Kimetsu no Yaiba is a pretty serious story. It has had its comedic moments, most of which have involved Nezuko. Zenitsu makes it hard to take this episode seriously despite the threat Tanjiro faces. This whole episode just felt so jarring in context. At first I thought it might be anime-original for that reason, but apparently not.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-15, 15:39   Link #270
Haak
Me, An Intellectual
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 30
You're not alone there, buddy. I also thought Zenitsu and Pig head introduced a rather jaring and sudden veer into comedy.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-15, 16:02   Link #271
AntonKutovoi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Vladimir, Russia
Age: 27
Well. I think we have just found a character more annoying than Asta at the beginning of Black Clover.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-15, 16:06   Link #272
Wandering Soul
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: America
Not surprised by the reception Zenitsu has gotten. Yeah, he can be pretty annoying at times, but I guess it's somewhat balanced out by the fact that the series seems to realize he's annoying and have other characters treat him as such.
__________________
Wandering Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-15, 16:48   Link #273
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Leaving the box with the kids was so irresponsible. There were so many ways that could go wrong. He should have just taken his sister with him.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-15, 17:45   Link #274
Applehell
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
We got introduced to some pretty eccentric people this time around. I guess Zenitsu is actually super talented despite barely holding on to his wits most of time. Boar Head doesn't really seem to care much about what's going other than killing the demon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I think that's my fundamental problem with Zenitsu. On the whole, Kimetsu no Yaiba is a pretty serious story. It has had its comedic moments, most of which have involved Nezuko. Zenitsu makes it hard to take this episode seriously despite the threat Tanjiro faces. This whole episode just felt so jarring in context. At first I thought it might be anime-original for that reason, but apparently not.
I dunno, I'm not finding him worse than Tamayo's assistance who was just as over the top in terms of personality. This series doesn't do comedy well in general imo and it's not becasue its serious story but just due to the fact that author seems have little to no knack for it. The only time laughed/chuckled was when Tanjiro made that one funny face.

Last edited by Applehell; 2019-06-15 at 18:00.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-15, 18:42   Link #275
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 34
Zenitsu is definitely very annoying. I assume he's supposed to bring comedy, but yeah, that's not working for me. It looks like he has super hearing, which I assume helps him like Tanjirou's sense of smell does.

Boar guy, on the other hand, seems pretty interesting. Like, what the hell is up with him?
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-15, 18:44   Link #276
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 35
Zenitsu is bit over the top with the coward act but I don't find him completely distracting like everyone else seems to be viewing him. I'm sure he'll eventually grow on us. I'm really looking forward to see what Boar Head has to bring to the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
Well. I think we have just found a character more annoying than Asta at the beginning of Black Clover.
Now hold on a minute I know Zenitsu was annoying but he's no where near Asta levels of annoying!
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-15, 18:57   Link #277
Lukes YGO & WS on YT
ルークです
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Australia
Age: 37
Zenitsu, looks like we just found the most annoying character for 2019.

I almost felt like watching the episode muted.
Lukes YGO & WS on YT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-15, 19:53   Link #278
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kobe, Japan
even by Shimono Hiro standards this is an unbelievably obnoxious performance.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-15, 21:23   Link #279
Applehell
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Zenitsu is bit over the top with the coward act but I don't find him completely distracting like everyone else seems to be viewing him. I'm sure he'll eventually grow on us. I'm really looking forward to see what Boar Head has to bring to the table.



Now hold on a minute I know Zenitsu was annoying but he's no where near Asta levels of annoying!
TBH, Zenitsu feeling like he's half-a-step from going legitimately insane with how unhinged he get at times which kinda of dull his annoyance bit to me.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-15, 22:03   Link #280
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
TBH, Zenitsu feeling like he's half-a-step from going legitimately insane with how unhinged he get at times which kinda of dull his annoyance bit to me.
I can't blame the kid for being a little unhinged given he did say he didn't even want to be a demon slayer it was forced upon him. Still curious how he managed to survive the final selection.
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
demon, shonen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.