AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2003-11-29, 16:37   Link #41
Gansan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiandu
Gansan not to be rude, but how old are you. See for me I listed some new animes because I only got into anime at the age of 19. I saw my first anime at age 15-16 but really didn't know how big the industry was in Japan. I'm now 25 and while I haven't watched alot of the old stuff seeing as it is still hard to find, i watch a ton of stuff nowdays and that too makes it hard to see the older stuff. I will agree with you though, I loved 0083 and several other Gundam series. Like in my post earlier it is impossible to just say I have a top 5 because I like so many other shows. I like so many other shows for different reasons and it greatly depends on my mood and what kind of anime will satisfy that mood. Just so damn impossible to just pick 5. So I picked the 5 that showed me something new when I watched them. They may not be the best of their catagory but they did have a huge impact on me.
I'm 32. I didn't mean anything negative by my "recent" comment; as you say, it's difficult to get a hold of the old anime. I didn't really get into anime until college. Until then it was just cartoons from Japan that I would occasionally see.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-29, 17:14   Link #42
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
The OP says Top 5 anime of all time. That sounds like a discussion of the most important or ground-breaking animes to hit Japan and the West, like My Neighbor Totoro, Urusei Yatsura, Macross, Gundam, or Akira.

But that's kinda dull, I'd rather list my personal favs.

1. Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou - An anime that totally goes against good marketing sense and does pure art. Peaceful, beautiful, and mysterious. And therefore few people like it.

2. Kodocha (minus the New York story arc) (I always feel free to disregard the part of an anime that sucks if the good part is stellar ) - Weird and hilarious in the beginning to draw you in, it gained a LOT of depth as it went along which kept it extremely interesting. I remember that I would often involuntarily whisper "awesome" when the closing theme came up.

3. Ranma 1/2 (first season) - One of the first fansubs I saw, and I couldn't put it down... it gives me goosebumps it is so funny, beautiful, and the characters were far more "real" than any live-action show I've ever seen. The character development and romance were on par with Maison Ikkoku, so it was going to be cancelled due to low ratings, but was revived when it was retooled to be wackier. I guess most people who like fighting action/comedies get turned off by that cerebral stuff... DAMN THEM!

4. Mahou Tsukai Tai OVA - This anime is the kind that I like best: beautiful, funny, exciting, and a little sexy. Also, a lot of the story is told with little details... so the anime rewards you for paying attention (or watching it multiple times.)

5. Princess Tutu (first 13 episodes) - Beautiful, scary, intriguing, weird, and cute all at the same time, this anime is absolutely wonderful... especially if you appreciate ballet and orchestrated music. The first episode still holds the Kempis Curious Award for "Best 1st Episode I've Ever Seen in my Life". The second season seemed like it was written after everything was wrapped up well enough in ep 13... rather disappointing and could easily be skipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
eek...I just found out how sad I am by actually KNOWING all those animes.
Whew! That makes me feel better.

I've only seen 41 of the 100 listed back there, and I've never heard of about 25 of them.

It's very interesting how that list containsvery few recent anime, and the anime which is often considered critical to western interest, Akira, is so far down the list.

-k

Last edited by Kempis Curious; 2003-11-29 at 17:58.
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-29, 21:57   Link #43
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

1. Vandread 2nd Stage
2. Rurouni Kenshin Running from Memories OVA
3. Full Metal Panic
4. Escaflowne
5. Macross Zero or Naruto (Depending on the story progress of Macross Zero.)
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-29, 23:01   Link #44
Anime_lover
*Kanon de Geminis*

1-Neon Genesis Evangelion
2-Saint Seiya Hades/TV
3-Ranma 1/2
4-Dragon Ball/Z (not GT, I didn't like it)
5-Gundam Seed
Anime_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 01:53   Link #45
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
No offense taken Gansan. I really love anime and would give the older stuff a chance if i could ever get a hold of it. Now i admit some of the old stuff style may not be my fav but i can like the story. Perfect example is Metropolis, now it isn't an old anime but the style the movie had is, but the story of that movie was amazing. Since i base my love of anime 90% on story, i don't care if the animation isn't top notch or the older style. Hell i love the original Gundam still. And far as the anime not being the top but only the biggest impact on the west comment. Umm why do you think they had an impact on the west? Well let me tell you, because they deserve to be on everyone's top list. To say they don't is dumb imo.
Xiandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-08, 01:14   Link #46
whyjnot420
The Lord of Blibidy

Send a message via AIM to whyjnot420 Send a message via MSN to whyjnot420 Send a message via Yahoo to whyjnot420
this one has to be separated into 2 groups, movies and series

movies first so....

5) Jin-Roh:The Wolf Brigade - just the most messed up retelling of little red riding hood EVER

4) The Animatrix (all but The Final Flight of the Osiris) - everything except the first story was awesome and i cant get enough of it, comon program is incerdible

3) Spriggan - everyones gonna hate me but i think this movie is 200x better than Akiria, hate me if u want to

2) Princess Mononoke - Miyazaki at his second best

1) Nausicaa of the valley of Wind - Miyazaki at his best, nuff said

now on to the series

5) FLCL - god i loved this one of the most messed up animes of all time

4) Haibane Renmei - didnt like this show the first time i tried watching it, got rid of it, forgot about it, got it again, fell in love with it, i just love how open the storyline is while still maintaining a real layer of depth for the charecters, anfter watching it a couple of times u really feel like u understand the charecters

3) Get Backers - for some reason i just love this show its funny, got action, a deep storyline(kinda)

2) Naruto - crazy ninja chit cant get better than thisits the only show (american or Japanese) that i watch religiously

1) Last Exile - i got sucked into this to the point where it took me all of 2 days to watch the entire series, the ending leaves a little lacking but that aside this anime and the imagination of it sucked me in like no other anime, the only other thing that i can tink of would be the manga of Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
whyjnot420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-08, 01:26   Link #47
whyjnot420
The Lord of Blibidy

Send a message via AIM to whyjnot420 Send a message via MSN to whyjnot420 Send a message via Yahoo to whyjnot420
a little something tha i forgot
HOW COULD I EVEN NAME A TOP 5 LIST WHEN THERE ARE SO MANY OTHERS THAT ARE AWESOME

Scrapped Princess
Evangelion
Kare Kano
The Wings of Honneiamise (not sure of spelling)
Full Metal Alchimist
Hellsing
Ah My Goddess
pretty much every Studio Ghibli movie ever
Blue Sub. no. 6
the first Brolly DBZ movie
Armitge III poly and dual matrix movies
Metropolis
Aeon Flux
Memories
Mahou Senshi Riui
Cowboy Bebop (now how did i almos forget that one)
Record of Lodoss War (not Chronicals)
Macross Zero (even though i havent seen all of it)
VanDread and 2nd Stage
X the 1999 series, the movie sux ass
Witch Hunter Robin
One Piece

i could go on and on and on but that would be the rest of my top 5 list
whyjnot420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-08, 06:20   Link #48
Elin
Junior Mem...n00b!

Eh, my parents are somewhat anti-anime, so finding time to watch it isn't easy... I s'pose I could make a top 5 though, though I'm yet to sample so many shows ^^

1. Tonari no Totoro
Mreh, beautiful film, better than any other kids film I've seen... In fact, it's barely fair to call it a kids film, it's too uneventful for your average kid's attention span, it has appeal to people like me who despite having grown up are still children at heart

2. Azumanga Daioh
I'd suppose it's largely like it or loathe it, I know a lot of big anime fans who nevertheless really don't like Azumanga Daioh, but to me certainly, it was just so funny. It almost made me wish I had a few more years of high school left...almost :P

3. Neon Genesis Evangelion
I remember reading somewhere that Gainax began to run out of money towards the end of Evangelion, so the last few episodes are somewhat lower budget or something. Truth be known I didn't notice, in fact, pretty soon into the series, I sort of forgot it was animated at all. It's one of the most gripping shows, anime or nay, I've ever watched, and contrary to a lot of peoples opinions, I actually really, really liked the ending...made me think a lot. The only reason it's not my favourite is because it's such an emotional endeavour to watch...

4. Grave of the Fireflies
Because I'm a big crybaby at heart, and Grave of the Fireflies is just one of the saddest, most disturbing films I've ever seen... I cry a fair bit, but rarely at films, Grave was an exception... It's just a wonderful anti-war statement, as well as an entertaining, if utterly melancholy, film. I've never watched it since the first time I saw it, and I'm not sure if I ever will. To put myself through the anguish of doing so again is not something I relish the thought of doing...

5. Vision of Escaflowne
Woo, I had a heck of a time watching this one ^^ As a love story, Escaflowne succeeds magnificently, but also manages to tell a truly intriguing and well plotted fantasy story, with a wonderful cast to boot... It's also just got the coolest soundtrack ever

Other anime I like are Shaman King, Inuyasha, Ranma 1/2, Fruits Basket and Love Hina. As well as all of Studio Ghibli's films. Come January I'll have a better PC and I should be able to watch more ^_^
Elin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-08, 06:29   Link #49
Domasai
_=_Mada Mada Dane_=_

TOP FIVE

1) Millennium Actress
2) Cowboy Bebop
3) Naruto
4) Fruits Basket
5) FLCL

Well I think that's ecclectic enough.
Domasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-08, 13:45   Link #50
lighter junkie
Pyromaniac

Well, here's mine to add to the collection, they're probably covered in the choices before me, but hack, here they are:

WITCH HUNTER ROBIN

FLCL

Senkaiden Houshin Engi- I have a feeling that this one doesn't really get much attention these days, but it's actually one of the best I've ever seen, Nataku had like...really awesome powers. BLAST!!!!!!

Samurai Deeper Kyo- I liked it better than Kenshin, but the ending was a little dreadful. anyhow, i loved it.

Peace Maker Kurogane - Greatness defined.

just for the hack of it, here's a few of my runner-ups. XD

Spirited Away
Millenium Actress
Saiyuki
SLAM DUNK!- This is a classic, so funny it made me puke...more than once, too bad the video quality hasn't improved much over the years, otherwise it'd make the top 5.

Prince of Tennis
One Piece
lighter junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-08, 15:29   Link #51
CrimsonFury
Behold the Fury

My Favs are
1. Hellsing
2 Cowboy Bebop
3. Kenshin(kicked alot of[bleep], however after shishio i found it really went downhill)
4. GetBackers
5. Naruto (only this low, cause there's too much of this series left to know where its gonna go)

Hard to Leave out

Record of Lodoss War:Chronicles of the Heroic Knight
Outlaw Star
Inuyasha
Trigun
Gundam Wing - Just staright Gundam Wing(hated Gundam G, and the other I just didn't like nearly as much)
Vampire Hunter D
Akira
Jin Roh

There's just too many good ones out there

BTW i'll leave a plug here Watch Chrno Crusader
CrimsonFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-09, 04:24   Link #52
Kempis Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyjnot420

2) Princess Mononoke - Miyazaki at his second best

1) Nausicaa of the valley of Wind - Miyazaki at his best, nuff said
Have you seen Porco Rosso? I think that was the best one yet. ^_^
I also don't agree that Ghibli puts out all great stuff, Omoide Poro Poro, Umi wa Kikoeru (sp?), and Pon Pon Tanuki were kinda boring for me. Beautiful and great music, but slow for the most part.

-k
Old 2003-12-09, 05:41   Link #53
kieran

shows

COWBOY BEBOP
TRIGUN
BERSERK
ORPHEN
HELLSING
ROURONI KENSHIN (i cried in samurai X reflection when kenshin finally died) yeah im lame

movies

SPRIGGAN
HUNTER D BLOODLUST
WICKED CITY
ARMITAGE
AKIRA

other goodies

Princess mononoke
ninja scroll
neon genesis
blue gender
lain
robotech
doomed megalopolis
spirited away( MUST WATHC WHILE HIGH ON WEED) lol
so many more......... enjoy
kieran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-09, 14:43   Link #54
e2-
Genius!

1.Naruto
2.StarZinger
3.Kenshin OVA
4.Kenshin
5.Gunslinger girl (not compleately watshed but to this point it rox)
e2- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-09, 19:28   Link #55
Hannah's_Knight

Send a message via MSN to Hannah's_Knight
My favs

Well there are a hell of a lot of Animes to pick from...not that I really have watched them all but I've seen a fair few ¬_¬ lol...anyhow, my faves would be:

1: Serial Experiments Lain
It changed the way I think about everything in this world and in dreams, I can no longer look at telegraph poles or computers in the same way again, lol. I liked Lain herself too, she reminded me of myself a lot...

2: Kanon
I'm not sure that many people share the same views as me on this Anime but I thought it was phenomenal. It surprised me in the plot twist and I think I had to get the tissues out at least 30 times throughout the story. The characters were in depth, not to mention cute and I thought it was absolutely marvellous. Ayu-Chan is soooooo cute!

3: Chobits
This Anime brings back a lot of memories for me because it was one of the first that I ever saw. It had a really great plot and was one of the only Animes (much like Lain) that had me "glued to the screen" lol. I liked the ending as well...and I bought the three main soundtracks practically as soon as I watched the ending XD

4:Kodomo no Omocha
I haven't actually watched this all the way through so I'm not sure if it turned out for the good. I posted this Anime because it brings back great memories of the Summer Holidays, watching Anime with my bro when he came home from school (after finishing my exams I had like 2 months off when he was still at school XD).

5: Cardcaptor Sakura
Again with the memories, I used to watch this with my brother an my Gran after coming back from school. I loved the characters and the music was phenomenal. I have the 4CD boxset of the soundtrcaks because I saved up for ages to buy it at only like 12 years old...it took a while ;_; lol
Hannah's_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-09, 19:47   Link #56
Hiromu Tagushi
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Hiromu Tagushi Send a message via MSN to Hiromu Tagushi
Spirited Away (they shouldn't change the name in brazil.. 'a viagem de chihiro' eck..)
FuriKuri (very comical and the musics are very good too..)
Sailor Moon (i like all the seasons)
Lain (gothyc style)
Kenshin (the ova is rox....! the serie too)
Hiromu Tagushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-10, 14:36   Link #57
scryed_2003

Naruto
Hajime No Ippo
Initial D
Laputa
Trigun

and many would agree with me.
scryed_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-11, 03:30   Link #58
Kempis Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah's_Knight

4:Kodomo no Omocha
I haven't actually watched this all the way through so I'm not sure if it turned out for the good. I posted this Anime because it brings back great memories of the Summer Holidays, watching Anime with my bro when he came home from school (after finishing my exams I had like 2 months off when he was still at school XD).
I've seen many, many series and this anime was my #2. How far did you get on this anime? Did you get as far as the movie-making arc, or the New York story arc? That movie arc was probably the most gripping anime I'd ever seen.
I'm still confused as to why this anime is so hard to find online, or why digisubbers haven't been tripping over each other to fansub it... especially when so many people place it so high on their favorite anime lists even though it is rare.

-k
Old 2003-12-13, 17:59   Link #59
Lanimoo
Disabled By Request

1. Twin Spica
2. Naruto
3. Hikaru no Go
4. Fullmetal Alchemist
5. D.N. Angel

^--- just gonna sneak this in... Last Exile, and Princess Tutu ^_^ no that doesn't make SEVEN!

....ack.... i forgot Kenshin and Get Backers? SNIFF!!! 5 is too little!!! thats like 5...7...9! >_<

crap... a day later I remember GTO... that makes... my top 10!

Last edited by Lanimoo; 2003-12-14 at 10:56.
Lanimoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-14, 15:44   Link #60
BME
Belldandy Fanboy

Location: Stockholm, Sweden, Where Polar bears roam the streets
My list would go

Oh My Goddess
Full Metal Panic
Love Hina
Naruto
Gundam SEED
BME is offline   Reply With Quote