Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-10, 14:48   Link #1
Forgetful_Duck
Dame Ningen

Police Themed Anime

Hi, looking for Police themed anime, with a bit of action.

Your Under arrest seems to be a popular police themed series but ive only watched 5 episodes of Full Throttle the latest installment of the series, I got bored. Just not enough action...

Thanks.
Old 2008-02-10, 15:33   Link #2
tbl
Affably Evil

Tokko - Police/Horror/Action
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2008-02-10, 16:17   Link #3
jedinat

I got bored half-way through the first episode of the new season of You're Under Arrest, but I managed to sit through (nearly) all 51 episodes of the original TV series. So you might take a look at it. It's more interesting when characters are being introduced and you get to know them from the beginning. True, I didn't give Full Throttle much of a chance; it had been quite some time since I last saw the characers, so I held little attatchment for them and was bored out of my mind.

If you don't want to invest your time in 51 episodes, just take a look at the original 4 episode OVA. (I think they were basically adapted as the first 4 episodes of the TV series)
Old 2008-02-10, 18:16   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

One of the themes of Monster is the pursuit of a suspect by an unrelenting policeman. It's not the only plot line of this complex show by any means, but it's one of the best.

The female protagonists of Ergo Proxy and Ghost in the Shell are police officers in futuristic worlds.
Old 2008-02-10, 18:22   Link #5
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Hyper Police would be my first pick. Great characters, good bit of action, and a nice balance of humour so it's never too serious.

Death Note to a lesser extent. Very serious and dialogue heavy.

As SeijiSensei suggested, both Ergo Proxy and Ghost in the Shell are semi-kinda police oriented given the main chars.

Depending how strict you want to be to the police theme, I could suggest mercenary or military oriented stuff, too...
Old 2008-02-10, 18:44   Link #6
Robotnik
Not a member

As others have said, it depends on how "police-themed" you need.

I'd say both seasons of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex are the most like a serious live-action police drama with a high-tech/cyberpunk twist. There's also Heat Guy J, which is similar but not as dark or serious (and has more explosions).

I'll also second the first 4 episodes of the original You're Under Arrest, but add that IMO it's not really representative of the rest of the show, both story and animation-wise. Not to say that there aren't other good episodes throughout the rest of the show...
Old 2008-02-10, 22:22   Link #7
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Detective Conan is not exactly police-themed, but I'll suggest it anyway. After all, a third of the characters in the series are police, and another third are detectives (or detective-wannabes) who compete with police to catch the bad guys. And it's a pretty good series... I mean, it would have to be, with 490+ episodes and 11 movies.

Most of the normal episodes don't have much "action", though the movies and some special episodes do.

You could also try Death Note, which is a police anime... just from the opposite side, at times. Again, more than half the characters are police or relatives of police... while the rest are criminals or detectives.

I'll second Hyper Police; it was cute and fun.
Old 2008-02-11, 11:06   Link #8
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
AD Police (futur robot sci-fi)
Kaze No Yojimbo not really a police background but a very good serie with a well built investigation
Old 2008-02-11, 12:05   Link #9
Frans

Patlabor. A bit old though, but still nice.
Miami Guns. More of an over the top comedy.
Burn Up series. I like the old one better (W and Excess).
And if you don't mind another old title and more of a detective than police (it's more of action comedy than puzzle solving), you could try City Hunter. or you could try Angel Heart. It's a continuation of City Hunter. This one is new.
Old 2008-02-12, 11:25   Link #10
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans View Post
Patlabor. A bit old though, but still nice.
Miami Guns. More of an over the top comedy.
Burn Up series. I like the old one better (W and Excess).
And if you don't mind another old title and more of a detective than police (it's more of action comedy than puzzle solving), you could try City Hunter. or you could try Angel Heart. It's a continuation of City Hunter. This one is new.
Defiantly second Patlabor - although technically a mecha the focus is much more on the characters, if you can get over the old animation it is an amazing series. It was the series that got me really hooked onto anime.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2008-02-13, 13:36   Link #11
sothis

I recently watched an old police-themed anime called Everyday is Sunday, though it's a comedic slice-of-life anime, not really much action.

There's always the gory and messed up Mad Bull (seriously though - BIG TIME gore and violence), and the famed Kameari Park Precinct
Old 2008-02-13, 19:39   Link #12
Freeze

Well I know you're looking for a police themed anime but atm the only good ones that I can even think of are the 2 seasons of Ghost in the Shell. Also there is other shows that are police themed but still really good that kind of fit what you're looking for.Cowboy bebop, Black Lagoon, and Darker than Black in Cowboy Bebop they are bounty hunters, in Black Lagoon they are a bunch of mercenaries and its a really action packed show. And in Darker than black they are more like assassins kind of and get jobs to do since they have supernatural powers.

And there is the complete opposite from police themed show which is GunGrave its a show about the mafia and underworld, now granted the second half of the series starts taking a supernatural turn its still a really amazing show. The beginning starts out as 2 guys in a gang and later work their way up the ladder of a mafia organization. I highly recommend this series, Its got a lot of amazing drama and action. Also as a warning don't base your ideas of the show on the first episode as it just boring as hell and it isn't relavent to the story till the second half of the show, so just start from episode 2 if your interested in the show.
Closed Thread