AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-11-06, 14:15   Link #1
Kyomi
What do I know?

How do you feel about your ISP?

So I just woke up today and learned from my internet bill that my "unlimited bandwith account" is now limited to 100Gig (Up/Down shared). Of course along that they sent a nice 30$ bill for going over that limit that just made my day.

Oh, Until now I was pretty much 24/7 on Azeureus uploading torrents so yes, I do get over that limit pretty easily.

Anyways, the thing is I already pay 65$ (U.S.) a month under contract for Cable Internet which is pretty much the only service available for me (I looked elsewhere but going to DSL and being limited to 20gig... meh >.> besides I need something fast for my constant large files downloads)

Up to now I knew I was being ripped off for some internet connection but at least I could do what the heck I wanted with it, but now I feel like a sucker for being ripped and just answering back with a "thank you"
Of course I would probably just waste my time fighting back saying "But you told me I could download as much as I wanted"
Anyways, I just felt like blowing off some steam right now, so I'm good now.

So anyhow, I was wondering how does your ISP work around where you live?
Do you think it's fair and are you satisfied?
Old 2007-11-06, 14:28   Link #2
GomuBlade
Bugger

A download limit? I've never heard of something like that before.

I'm quite satisfied with the ISP I have now. Just was some (or a lot) struggle when we first got it. The connection was very unstable the first 2-3 weeks, and it turned out to be their fault. So we didn't have to pay for the next month, as compensation. But... we got a bill anyway. So mom had to call them again, and so on...

But at least it's fine now
GomuBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 15:26   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

All ISPs have "hog algorithms" and underlying limits ... the "unlimited" adverts are a big ethical discussion right now. They also don't guarantee any throughput minimums (see most TOS) and reserve the right to stomp on you because its Thursday. The current Comcast scandal over them actually conducting "man in the middle" attacks on any "extended sessions" (mostly torrents, but also VPN, Lotus Notes, and such) is a solid good reason to be angry --- they're actually breaking federal law with that technique by inserting falsified packets that break sessions in both directions.

I'd LOVE to have a 100GB monthly limit with a $$/GB overage cost. Currently I'm stuck with a satellite ISP that limits me to 400MB both ways per day... exceed that and they throttle the throughput to less than 5KB/s for 24 hours. They have no option for just paying more for going over it.

If you think about it, there's just no way a feeder ISP can support every single customer at maximum throughput 24/7. I just wish they'd fairly tier their services and provide solutions for people who want to use a lot of transfer capacity.

100GB is well into the "maybe you should consider a business account" range, just fyi
Old 2007-11-06, 15:54   Link #4
DaFool
Resident devil

I pay $2.25 for a little scratch-off card that entitles me to 20 hours on dialup, with speeds up to 56K. My actual speed is limited because of the V.34 mode of my modem, so the actual transfer rate is 3.6k/s. The irony is that the website of the prepaid internet card provider is so loaded with graphics, it takes you half an hour just to check your internet consumption.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 16:07   Link #5
Caldron
Aria feels good....

Location: In my cube (it looked kinda rectangular though, he says)...
WOW, 56k? that's quite fast
My connection is 5mbit/256kbit and I pay 30€ for a 24GB/month (before, it was only 12).
The excession is 1,5€/GB (which is quite cheap imo). It has phone included.

I'm not quite satisfied, and I'm gonna change for one with unlimited traffic with 4mbit, with phone included as well. It will be 19,99€.

Last edited by Caldron; 2007-11-06 at 16:38.
Caldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 16:27   Link #6
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I presently work for an ISP that delivers DSL out to the boonies in the US.

Your ISP was absolutely wrong to include the word "unlimited", but that's a hold-out from the old days when people were charged for hourly usage (or had time-caps) on dial-up services. It really referred to unlimited time, not data, but many ISPs make the mistake of not being specific in their wording (or they just outright lie, which I wouldn't put past most companies). On the other hand, 100 gigs is enough, as Vexx said, that you ought to be paying for a higher-service account.

Not living in my employer's service area, I pay $45 a month for what's recently become eight megabit down cable internet service (It would be nearly $65 if I were paying for basic cable with it, but I buy it "bare"). Aside from my unnecessarily capped upstream bandwidth (and my cable provider's more recent frequent downtimes) I think I'm getting a great deal! No, it's not the 100 megabit fiber connections my contacts in cities like Stockholm or Tokyo are getting, but that's the price I pay for living farther out (and I actually live right outside of town).

Connectivity costs money. A lot of it. There are four major expenses in delivering internet service:

- Upstream connectivity. If you wanted a 1.5 megabit connection (a T1) from one of the major bandwidth providers, that's several hundred a month, at least, and quite possibly significantly more, depending on the location. And that's not delivered to your house, either. That's the cost you'd pay at their access point, before you factor in the cost of laying your own copper or fiber lines in the ground up to there. Your ISP is able to "buy in bulk", so to speak, but they can only water it down so far. At some point, it has to be oversubscribed if they're going to keep prices reasonable. In other words, your ability to download at your connection's full speed at any given time is dependent on the fact that others on your network aren't doing the same. Bandwidth limits are there to ensure that you take a break at least once in a while to give others a chance. They really suck, but it beats paying at least ten times as much for "dedicated" bandwidth (which is what it would be from a reseller who's already "bought in bulk", versus at least a hundred times the direct cost).

- Long-range connectivity. AT&T, Sprint, Level 3, and a few others all have many thousands of miles of copper and fiber they have laid, maintain, and continue to lay. The data networks that subscribe from them all have their own networks of more typically hundreds of miles that they've laid, maintain, and continue to lay. ...and that's one way. To provide reliable connectivity, you need to have a loop (at least twice as much cable and all its required digging). It's redundant until the link breaks, when every one is glad it's there. When you talk prices for this sort of infrastructure, you start in the millions for something relatively small.

- "The routing equipment", for lack of a better encompassing term. Everywhere one fiber or copper connection, from the backbone networks to central office or the remote location (whether it be cabinet or pedestal just off the road or in the woods) your house connects to has very expensive equipment managing it. To serve a couple of thousand customers and their ever-expanding bandwidth needs, we started with one router... moved up to two... and now five. Each of those is a couple of hundred thousand a pop. And that's just in our main office where we connect to our upstream provider. We have equipment in a couple of other central offices ranging from several tens of thousands of dollars to a couple of hundred thousand, and they all have to be powered and located in a climate-controlled environment. It adds up fast.

- The last mile (aka the biggest impediment to rural connectivity). In the remote or central office that your house connects to, there is equipment dedicated to your location (probably a card that fits inside the nearest routing equipment), ranging from a couple of hundred to a couple of thousand dollars in cost. In between, there's a varying amount of copper or fiber that probably cost several hundred to several thousand to lay down while the workers were already busy digging. At your house, there is more equipment, which these days can get down to less than a hundred dollars in cost (a good cable or DSL modem) to well over a thousand. We're finally seeing quality fiber equipment in the few hundred dollar range. For the time being, most people have copper lines to deal with, which are severely limited in the speed they can deliver at any great range. Fiber is finally making some inroads, and that will be able to deliver, say, 100 megabit speeds (which you'll probably see divided into television, internet, and telephone service), but only once it's cheap enough for your ISP to deliver that much bandwidth to you.

You've heard of the phrase "Fast, good, cheap: Pick any two"? In the networking world, it's "Fast, long, cheap: Pick any two", and it applies to both the long range networks (aka "WAN", for "Wide Area Network") and the last mile networking. Not only do you have to get back to your ISP, but your ISP has to get back to their upstream provider, and they're both affected by cost versus length (and the "save money by buying in bulk" aspect your ISP deals with). Many customers of my employer have long-range at both the last mile, and it results in a more expensive speed/cost ratio. I live in a larger, more densely populated area, which means the last-mile cost is smaller overall for my ISP, which results in better prices for me.
However, the town I live in is still very far from any of the more major "bandwidth hubs" that our upstream providers offer bandwidth at, which means both my employer and my home ISP have to to run lines to them or run lines to people who've already done so and connect through them at a cost. Internet service providers and their customers in Stockholm or Tokyo, of course, have short distances on both ends (not to mention lots of customers to drive prices lower), and so they get much more for their money.

As the technology improves to provide more over longer, "smaller" lines, prices are improving everywhere. It's just a fact of life that internet service is going to be more expensive for us who live farther out from mass urbanization, and we deal with it either by lower speeds, higher prices, oversubscription (and its bandwith limits), or some combination of the above.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 16:59   Link #7
DGM09
Banned

Send a message via MSN to DGM09
I used to have a 2 Mbps connection with a certain download limit (2GB, I think, for National; 10GB for International) and paid €35 (total rip-off). Changed to another ISP and I now pay €31.5 (€7 included for unlimited downloads) for what should be a 2 Mbps connection. In reality, they upgraded the connections and, while I'm paying for a 2 Mbps connection, it's actually 8 Mbps. They've only had server problems twice since I changed to it, which they quickly fixed, and the connection never suddenly drops. Due to all this, I'm extremely glad I changed from my previous ISP to this one. Nothing but positive results from it.

Last edited by DGM09; 2007-11-06 at 19:43.
DGM09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 17:00   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

America is a bit hamstrung due to a combination of earlier technologies expensive to replace and the mutated semi-monopoly sort-of-regulated company structures we have. Smaller countries and countries just now laying a network have gotten to leapfrog all of that and put in the latest stuff right off the bat.
Landlines are not an option for me because my telco CO has obsolete router equipment and a copper/fiber/copper line between me and the CO that uses obsolete multiplexing.
Verizon refuses to update it.... I'm currently chasing down a wireless WiFi solution but they're so overbooked with requests that they have trouble even responding to my requests for service --- so in the meantime I'm stuck with 1000ms pings and a satellite ISP that has a business model meant for 'mom and pop in their RV' rather than Linux ISO distribution torrents and gaming.
Old 2007-11-06, 17:56   Link #9
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

25,000 won (about $25, given the exchange rate) a month for unlimited, 100 mega connection.

Last edited by Kang Seung Jae; 2007-11-06 at 18:25.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 18:14   Link #10
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I pay a bit under 200 dollars a month, and this gets me 300ish channels, unlimited local and long distance (with all the fun features), and unlimited internet with a 10 meg connection (which may be going to 16 meg in the next year). Breaks up into 25 dollars for telephone, 100 for tv, and 50 for internet, roughly.

I can't really complain, honestly. Charter's been good for the area, which is surprising considering the only competition they have is satellite. On the other hand, I'm so very happy it's not Comcast. I don't think I've ever heard a single good thing about them.
Old 2007-11-06, 18:21   Link #11
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

I like my ISP, though I wish it could be faster.

I use Brighthouse (a company I think is only around central florida). I get 10 Mbps, unlimited amounts, for $29.99 a month. I have never had a problem and it works great.

I wish I could get my university's speed; 1 Gbps in the classrooms.

Last edited by Orchunter226; 2007-11-06 at 18:37.
Orchunter226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 18:26   Link #12
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchunter226 View Post
I wish I could get my universitie's speed; 1 Gbps in the classrooms.
It'll take awhile for 1 Gbps to catch on in the public realm.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 18:59   Link #13
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I'm *reasonably* happy with my ISP. I've been online for a long, long time (started out on a 2800 baud pulse dial cradle modem in the 80s!) and used a lot of ISPs over all available technologies, and my current one I've been with for a number of years pleases me.

It is a bit expensive, but that's because I'm now in a rural area. As it stands, I pay $121 USD a month for 8Mbit down/384kbit up, with 36Gb quota. I used to pay $92 for 60Gb 24Mbit down/1Mbit up. Both of those figures include phone line rental costs. But the DSL ports in this town are only provided by a single wholesaler, no individual ISPs have their hardware here like they do in cities, so I'm limited in speed, and the quota costs more because of the backhaul required.

With ISPs in this country, ALL of them have quotas. It's a limitation imposed by backhaul providers and the infrastructure wholesaler. Some may advertise as 'unlimited' but they're just being deceptive. While most don't charge excess fees for going over quota, all of them will 'shape' connections down (typically to 64kbit) when they exceed their quota. Most people don't pay for plans over 10Gb a month, but I'm a fairly heavy net user, working online a lot so I need at least 30. Since I moved here, downgrading from my 60Gb, I've had to make sacrifices due to my new 36Gb quota, but I've managed to adjust to it reasonably well. I don't blame my ISP for it, as I know it isn't their fault. It's an issue with the underlying system in this country. My ISP is good quality and fairly priced, so I'm happy.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 19:01   Link #14
Mad Dog
Banned

I'm on dial-up. The ONLY thing in my area. So it' pretty much sucks.

If i had an extra $300 laying around i could get Satellite internet hooked up, but sadly i don't.....
Mad Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 19:03   Link #15
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post

With ISPs in this country, ALL of them have quotas.
If by "this country" you're referring to the US.

If mine has a quota, I haven't reached it or they don't care to enforce it. My speed never faulters, and I probably use AT LEAST 110GB (between me and my roommate) monthly; though probably more.

And when I lived at home: my three brothers, my parents, and I all probably used about 300 GB monthly. So Brighthouse must have obscenely high quotas.
Orchunter226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 20:40   Link #16
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
I have Comcast. I hate them. Speed sucks and they're screwing with my traffic. See the following:
http://torrentfreak.com/comcast-thro...ng-impossible/
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/1...rrent-traffic/
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 20:54   Link #17
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Same, I don't have a limit but I have Comcast, and they ask you to limit your download to 100gb a month you yours Koyomi. But I don't have a restriction like yours, also my package just changed from $66.67 a month to $69.67 a month >.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon9283 View Post
I have Comcast. I hate them. Speed sucks and they're screwing with my traffic. See the following:
Yeah, I hate it how comcast sorta tracks what their customers are downloading. Though they sorta have a right to do that, they have no right to publish it though.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 20:59   Link #18
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon9283 View Post
I have Comcast too and my torrents aren't throttled at all. I usually get around 300 - 600 kb/s on them, I've even hit 1Mb/s on some. For normal downloads, I've hit around 3.5Mbps. And for limit, I've heard that for Comcast it's 600GB/mon (even if they say "unlimited") which is fine with me since I'm a streaming media / download junkie.
Old 2007-11-06, 21:00   Link #19
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchunter226 View Post
If by "this country" you're referring to the US.
No, I'm not. The US doesn't have a single monopolised infrastructure carrier, nor is it limited to a bare handful of backhaul providers, so it doesn't suffer anywhere near the same issues.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 21:02   Link #20
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Contrary to what most people would think of a third world country, surprisingly enough I don't have any limit on the amount I can download. In my highest spike, I've downloaded close to 150 GB only over Bittorrent in a single month... The rest of the time I'm around 30 GB per month via BT. Up until now they haven't complained... and I pay around 30 USD per month (which is quite pricey around these areas, though, but it's still the standard for most megabit connections).

The only downside to it is that I only get a 128kbit upload speed

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote