AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-21, 19:13   Link #661
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Actually in my opinion Madlax has a very well contructed plot...if one can buy the notion of the three sacred all-powerful books, that is and get past few annoynig plotholes. I for one immensely enjoyed rewatching it recently. El Cazador doesn't even try much to tell an interesting story and if I start about the plotholes in it I might write until tomorrow.

Avenger seemingly ends halfway into the story but it totally wipes the floor with El Cazador atmopshere-wise and in sheer coolness of the characters (at least from what I remember, I haven't watched it in like forever).

Bee Train for me has always been much more about atmoshpere, characters and style than plot but a really bad plot tends to get in the away of my enjoyment of the other elements (I am looking at you, .hack\\SIGN! ).

Friday Monday and Artena have clear, if rather twisted and insane, goals. Rosenberg doesn't. Big difference, IMHO.

But in the end, it's all relative and everyone is perfectly entitled to their opinions. If I sound too grumpy, it's mostly because I had such high hopes for El Cazador, if it was a show I just happened to watch without knowing anything about its creators, I woudl have most likely enjoyed it more.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-21, 19:55   Link #662
Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Actually in my opinion Madlax has a very well contructed plot...if one can buy the notion of the three sacred all-powerful books, that is and get past few annoynig plotholes. I for one immensely enjoyed rewatching it recently. El Cazador doesn't even try much to tell an interesting story and if I start about the plotholes in it I might write until tomorrow.
There's nothing wrong with the storytelling in Madlax per se, but I just found it pushed my suspension of disbelief a bit too far as the series went on. Yes, everything was explained and neatly wrapped up, but by the end my enjoyment of the series had been dulled by one too many trips down the rabbit-hole.

Quote:
Avenger seemingly ends halfway into the story but it totally wipes the floor with El Cazador atmopshere-wise and in sheer coolness of the characters (at least from what I remember, I haven't watched it in like forever).
You obviously liked it a lot more than I did. I found myself struggling to care about any of the characters by the halfway point, and while the atmosphere was reasonably well done I can't say I found it terribly memorable as post-apocalyptic settings go.

Quote:
Friday Monday and Artena have clear, if rather twisted and insane, goals. Rosenberg doesn't. Big difference, IMHO.
Not to me. Clear goals are necessary, but not sufficient, when it comes to making a villain memorable. Altena was very much the gardening type of mastermind - plant the seeds and send Chloe out from time to time, and that's about it. Perhaps her approach was effective (and I certainly preferred her to Rosenberg), but I can't say it ever produced much of an emotional response in me.

I found Friday Monday so ridiculous I could never take him seriously, which is perhaps another reason why I never really got into Madlax.

Quote:
But in the end, it's all relative and everyone is perfectly entitled to their opinions. If I sound too grumpy, it's mostly because I had such high hopes for El Cazador, if it was a show I just happened to watch without knowing anything about its creators, I woudl have most likely enjoyed it more.
Agreed - it's good that all of us enjoy different things, or the anime industry would be even more formulaic than it is right now.
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 00:38   Link #663
Taigyth
Disabled By Request

I personally loved both Madlax and Noir for different reasons. Madlax was cool in a very surreal way and Noir was awesome because of its copious gunplay. However, I liked ElCaza better than both of them. The main difference between El Cazador and its two predecessors is that it focuses on the characters and not the plot and I think many people weren't expecting that. The strong character development made Ellis and Nadie amazing characters to the point where I didn't even care about the plot anymore as long as they were on screen. The real strengths in this series don't lie with the action but with its unique quirks and flaws. This show may have aggravated some but I loved it. Kouichi Mashimo himself stated that the show was "a road movie in anime clothing". The series remains memorable to me because of its relaxed atmosphere.

This is not to say that I wouldn't mind them creating a sequel where those who were expecting more action would be satisfied. Perhaps it could even focus on Nadie's past.

Nevertheless, I'd say that ElCaza is easily one of my favorite shows. Some may disagree but hey, opinions make the anime industry go 'round.
Taigyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 12:39   Link #664
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

I have to agree with Matrim on this. Madlax and Noir are miles better than El Cazador. To me, Noir's story was the best, the "journey to the past" theme is freaking cool. Madlax's story is also pretty good, but yea, I also think it's a bit too unbelievable. Both shows' main character has some kind of connection to each other, which El Cazador lacks, and while Noir and Madlax have some filler eps, the entire El Cazador series feels like filler. It's seems like they just drove around in their Mustang for the entire series and yet went nowhere. Also, in both Noir and Madlax the main characters and villains kick ass. I still remember that Chloe vs Kirika fight. But in this series, Nadie's gun skills sucks, Ellis can't control her power, Richardo isn't really anything special, Rosenberg just sits in his office. The only character that's somewhat interesting is LA. This is one of the worst Bee Train show (that I have watched so far). I found .hack//Sign more interesting that this.
TougeSil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 14:10   Link #665
hipeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
At long last, Starlight has brought us the very last two episodes to El Cazador, and to which I'm very thankful to the group.

Spoiler:
Rosenberg doesn't have any true aim at all as far as I can see, he's just a guy madly in love with Ellis, and like all guys madly in love with Ellis, he got shot dead. Well, Nadie also died once (or twice?), so I guess the lesson is that you love Ellis, you die.

oh, and in the end everyone are puppeteered by the Secret Witch Society...

oh well at least they make Ellis killed a guy to revenge for the Professor. At least that's better than Kirika ramming into Altena into the lava pit. But still nothing beats Margaret's "I'm a wicked girl, I'm going to kill you with my malice" line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
L.A. was just plain nuts, so his wacky behaviour didn't really bother me too much (although as a character he couldn't hold a candle to Noir's Chloe). The character dynamic that really holds the show together is Nadie / Ellis, and that came off reasonably well.
What are you talking about! L.A. is the best character in the show! Too bad he has to go through the worst of everything in the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TougeSil80 View Post
But in this series, Nadie's gun skills sucks, Ellis can't control her power, Richardo isn't really anything special, Rosenberg just sits in his office. The only character that's somewhat interesting is LA. This is one of the worst Bee Train show (that I have watched so far). I found .hack//Sign more interesting that this.
well, the only moment that Nadie truly shines is when she somehow sticks her head into a vase and trips on her own feet when facing a mob attack

At least Ricardo is great with Nekomimi, and L.A. is great all the time
hipeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 15:23   Link #666
ani_d

Okay, I know absolutely nothing about this anime, so can I ask? Is this shoujo-ai?
ani_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 15:31   Link #667
Ligbi

Um, a little, more at the end. But on the whole it's a drama action cute show. Good watch!
Ligbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 12:54   Link #668
darkchrno

can any one tell me which episode included some quote in it like
"a man must be responsible for his nature and action" and a few more quotes..? xD
i know it's around episode 10-15 but dont know the exact episode.
plz and thx
darkchrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 12:35   Link #669
darkchrno

bump... any help please >.<

EDIT : thx fignae

Last edited by darkchrno; 2008-02-25 at 11:55.
darkchrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 12:56   Link #670
fignae
floofer. floof.

They're from Episode 14, "Maple Leaf".
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 14:12   Link #671
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Just some odds and ends.

Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 23:35   Link #672
bluezodiac

Question What's this? (From El Cazador Ep13)

Hi to all!!!
I was just wondering what this thing is shown from El Cazador de la Bruja episode 13?
Up to now, I couldn't figure what the thing shown in the pictures is?
What is that thing called?
Is that somehow related to Ellis' past or what?
Can anyone please explain to me regarding this matter?
Please! I need anyone's interpretation! Thanks!

Last edited by bluezodiac; 2008-03-30 at 23:36. Reason: ...
bluezodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-31, 00:29   Link #673
fignae
floofer. floof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezodiac View Post
Hi to all!!!
I was just wondering what this thing is shown from El Cazador de la Bruja episode 13?
Up to now, I couldn't figure what the thing shown in the pictures is?
What is that thing called?
Is that somehow related to Ellis' past or what?
Can anyone please explain to me regarding this matter?
Please! I need anyone's interpretation! Thanks!
Were they the bones of dead children? I don't have the eps on hand right now.
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-31, 00:37   Link #674
bluezodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignae View Post
Were they the bones of dead children? I don't have the eps on hand right now.
Oh? But I wonder why they appear black?
If they were bones of children then why does it appear black?
I have the same thought with you.
I was thinking at first that they were bones of children used for experiments from that ghost town...
But didn't Nadie mention about an epidemic from that town?
I am totally confused.
I hope anyone could clarify it more.
Thanks for your view anyway!
bluezodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 17:51   Link #675
Fellini 8.5
Film Snob

Licensed in Germany?

It appears that in this month's Animania (a German fan mag), there's an announcement that El Cazador is licensed in Germany by "Anime-Virtual"

Not sure if the online article actually says that or it's in the dead-tree version, credit for the find and the translation go to members of the BTF forum.
Fellini 8.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 16:03   Link #676
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Ep 20 now, quite nice show.
All chars have more then one side and some deeper releations to the actual plot.

Spoiler for But the ep with the old man and the house:

I hope that I will have some time tomorrow to see the last six eps.
mangalowres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 14:11   Link #677
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Wow, happy end =) and a nice one too.

Spoiler for Any last Words?:

Overall 8.5 points for this show, maybe a little more.
Old 2008-06-25, 19:27   Link #678
Ligbi

I was bored and made a few animated gif icons from cazzy.

And then I made an edit...

Spoiler for Disturbing as hell.:

Take them away from me. Please.
Ligbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 02:14   Link #679
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Nice =)
I like the first one most.
Old 2008-08-15, 07:56   Link #680
xris
Just call me Ojisan

While this series has not yet been licensed we have received a C&D from FUNimation Entertainment, we therefore won't be listing fansubs of this series here on AnimeSuki anymore.

Please note that FUNimation are acting on the behalf of the Japanese IP owners, d-rights.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote