Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-26, 04:54   Link #1
fuzzles
anal retentive

Send a message via AIM to fuzzles
looking for tomboyish girl

a specific kind, not a tomboyish girl who's tomboyish cause she played a bunch of sports like(koukou debut) but one where the girl grew up with a bunch of brothers or jsut a father or something of the sort stuff like venus capriccio, special A, Kaichou wa maid sama, and some others that don't come to mind

don't care if it's manga or anime, I'd prefer if the tomboy was the main character and not some random side one that pops in occasionally
Old 2008-04-26, 05:34   Link #2
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=75

The most manliest of men while being the most womanly of women. It's a brilliant comedy. ^^
Old 2008-04-26, 05:40   Link #3
jedinat

manga:
Matsuri Special - raised by pro-wrestler father
Miriam - spunky cowgirl
Otomen - in this one the boy likes sewing/sweets/girly stuff, and the girl is into martial arts/manly stuff/whatever
Gokusen - raised by yakuza

anime:
Kino no Tabi - I guess... if you consider being gender-neutral tomboyish
Old 2008-04-26, 06:18   Link #4
Cheezy
brrr

Send a message via MSN to Cheezy
Balsa from Seirei no Moribito.
Old 2008-04-26, 13:22   Link #5
Fynal_Fyre
Inactive Member

I'm not sure if Revy from Black Lagoon counts, she's more of a cold-hearted murderer, but tougher than most men in the series.

Maybe Rosette Christopher from Chrno Crusade, you can't go wrong with a nun who kicks demon arse.
Old 2008-04-26, 14:21   Link #6
Diodati
The very united ACROSS

Perhaps you should also check out Toshokan Sensou which is airing now, and it's female protagonist Iku. I'm not sure her 'tomboy' qualities are down to being raised in a male-dominated environment but she certainly does have to work in one.

Haikara-san ga Tōru may also be suitable, although it's set in the 1920s, and was written back in the 70s (thus certain parts may seem a bit dated)

Although she's a supporting character, I'll also say Kyuubei in Gintama - who sort of jumps between 'tomboy', 'quite androgynous', and occasionally 'quite girly' There are several factors behind her 'masculine' traits, but I would say her father/grandfather were very central to it.

And then there's various Rumiko Takahashi characters which spring to mind:
- Akane in Ranma (raised without a mother)
- Ryuunosuke in Urusei Yatsura is also only rasied by her father (albeit he's much more of a headcase) who likes to convince himself that Ryuu is a boy. So yeah, a tomboy definitely pushed to its androgynous extreme.
- And I guess Sango from InuYasha sort of fits too?

(And it's not anime, but the character that absolutely fits the bill is Lor from The Weekenders - who is a tomboy raised with about 12+ brothers)
Old 2008-04-26, 14:31   Link #7
Z3120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=75

The most manliest of men while being the most womanly of women. It's a brilliant comedy. ^^
Oh definitely! Megu was hilarious yet strong
Old 2008-04-26, 16:00   Link #8
Shana

Helen from Claymore may fit in it.
Old 2008-04-26, 16:28   Link #9
james0246

Yawara! - superb series (from the mind of Naoki Urasawa famed mangaka of such series as Monster and 20th Century Boys) about a young girl who is raised by her grumpy grandfather to compete in the Olympics, but instead of gymnastics or some other equally "girly" sport, she is going to compete in Judo. Very well done series with a nice romance and some good "fight" sequences. Yawara is a tomboy but she also strives to be "normal" so there is some good comedy mixed in. All around, great series.

And, just to throw it out since it partially meets your requirments (younger girl heavily influenced by a male figure; becomes a tomboy):
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Old 2008-04-26, 17:53   Link #10
Happy_Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzles View Post
a specific kind, not a tomboyish girl who's tomboyish cause she played a bunch of sports like(koukou debut) but one where the girl grew up with a bunch of brothers or jsut a father or something of the sort stuff like venus capriccio, special A, Kaichou wa maid sama, and some others that don't come to mind

don't care if it's manga or anime, I'd prefer if the tomboy was the main character and not some random side one that pops in occasionally
Not sure if this meets all your detailed criteria, but Miki (from Ramen Fighter Miki) is the most un-feminine girl you will have seen, who still manages to retain her femininity (if that makes any sense) ...
Old 2008-04-27, 11:32   Link #11
fuzzles
anal retentive

thanks for the suggestions i'm gonna check out Tenshi na Konamaiki, and ramen fighter miki
Old 2008-04-27, 11:40   Link #12
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Makoto from sailor moon.

Old 2008-04-27, 11:53   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The main character in the new Toshokan Sensou (Library Wars) is a prime example of a tomboy. Her personality is somewhat reminiscent of Tanabe Ai in Planetes.
Old 2008-04-27, 16:32   Link #14
Happy_Chip

Fuzzles, hope you like Ramen Fighter Miki. Let me know what you think of Miki-chan.

your sig says:
"Glasses on girls in anime disgust me so much so that i have stopped watching several shows or reading several mangas because the main character has glasses(still trying to force myself to watch mneymosyne), i have no idea why as i feel indifference to it in real life"

... because the glasses are large, round and unflattering? Because they're usually used, to convey a certain type of character? (studious, bookish, unglamourous, and matronly)?

Last edited by Happy_Chip; 2008-04-27 at 16:49.
Old 2008-04-27, 20:39   Link #15
maika_chan

Haruhi Fujioka from Ouran High School Host Club. Her mom died when she's at a young age and she has been taken care of by her dad...just that Daddy opted to be an Okama, possibly causing her to have somewhat no gender awareness.

Taken from Wiki:
"Haruhi admits that she has a low threshold for gender awareness; she was not actually trying to pass as male, but didn't feel the need to correct the others' assumptions. She even goes as far to say that when Tamaki asks if she is indeed female, she responds "Biologically, yes." She doesn't see her gender as much of her identity. Her lack of awareness of the differences between male and female gender roles was most likely influenced by her father, who was originally bisexual and, saying that he could never love another woman, became a transvestite after the death of his wife. Whatever the reason, she is a fairly androgyne person who does not care much about clothing, physical appearance or gender stereotypes. She enjoys taking care of household chores, particularly cooking, and is not easily frightened by things such as bugs or ghost stories...."
Old 2008-04-27, 23:40   Link #16
fuzzles
anal retentive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Chip View Post

your sig says:
"Glasses on girls in anime disgust me so much so that i have stopped watching several shows or reading several mangas because the main character has glasses(still trying to force myself to watch mneymosyne), i have no idea why as i feel indifference to it in real life"

... because the glasses are large, round and unflattering? Because they're usually used, to convey a certain type of character? (studious, bookish, unglamourous, and matronly)?
actually i could care less about that i actually like a studious bookish character, although i'll admit i don't like how they belong to matronly characters, and unglamourous characters? i don't know of any in anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maika_chan View Post
Haruhi Fujioka from Ouran High School Host Club. Her mom died when she's at a young age and she has been taken care of by her dad...just that Daddy opted to be an Okama, possibly causing her to have somewhat no gender awareness.

Taken from Wiki:
"Haruhi admits that she has a low threshold for gender awareness; she was not actually trying to pass as male, but didn't feel the need to correct the others' assumptions. She even goes as far to say that when Tamaki asks if she is indeed female, she responds "Biologically, yes." She doesn't see her gender as much of her identity. Her lack of awareness of the differences between male and female gender roles was most likely influenced by her father, who was originally bisexual and, saying that he could never love another woman, became a transvestite after the death of his wife. Whatever the reason, she is a fairly androgyne person who does not care much about clothing, physical appearance or gender stereotypes. She enjoys taking care of household chores, particularly cooking, and is not easily frightened by things such as bugs or ghost stories...."
dude that's like a giant spoiler to me(or at least analysis of a character) luckily i'm following the manga so i don't care, don't read wikipedia before you've seen a show it tends to spoil everything(damn thing ruined shuffle for me)
Closed Thread