AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-09-11, 04:49   Link #1
sudolicious
Otoshi-gami in training

Looking for OVA/short anime

Hi there,

I need something quick to take my mind off of things, so a short series or a few episode OVA/ONA would be perfect right now.
Can someone recommend a few? I'm not really determined on one genre or something, I just don't like over-staged battles, pretentious dialogue or a stupid plot, so something more "light" would be preferable.

Stuff I enjoyed a lot in descending order:
Kowarekake no Orgel
Candy Boy
Koe de Oshigoto!
Rec
Hen Zemi
Morita-San series
Kiss x sis
katte ni kaizou
Aki-Sora series
Moe can Change

Something along those lines would be great, thanks in advance.
Old 2012-09-11, 04:56   Link #2
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I'll recommend what I'm currently storing... I kept them because they're good for me...

Koe De Oshigoto >>> story of a girl that is hired to become an Eroge VA. ecchi, comedy

Denpa Teki Na Kanojo >>> How about having a creepy girl for a bodyguard while solving mysteries, mystery

Guilty Crown Lost Christmas>>>sci-fic
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 08:46   Link #3
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Read or Die is the only OVA I can think of.

Maybe Bunny Drop? It's 11 episodes of slice of life.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 09:53   Link #4
Mangakasan
BURST LINK!!

Try Asa made jugyou chu!(2 episodes)
And golden boy is another hilarious one haha.
Hope this helps you out
Strength isn't just about winning. Even if my attempts are pathetic and comical, and even if I'm covered in the mud of my defeat, if I can keep fighting and look up at the sky as I lie on the ground, that alone is proof of true strength!
Mangakasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 11:39   Link #5
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Expand your mind and watch FLCL, if you haven't already.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 11:42   Link #6
Mangakasan
BURST LINK!!

Flcl is great watch that!
Strength isn't just about winning. Even if my attempts are pathetic and comical, and even if I'm covered in the mud of my defeat, if I can keep fighting and look up at the sky as I lie on the ground, that alone is proof of true strength!
Old 2012-09-11, 12:22   Link #7
kitten320

Angel Beats maybe?
Old 2012-09-11, 14:12   Link #8
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Why don`t you give Iriya no Sora, Natsu no UFO a shot if you`re interested.
Old 2012-09-11, 15:02   Link #9
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

You could give T.P Sakura a shot. It's a cute 2-episode magical girl OVA. Also, One Off.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 17:43   Link #10
kaitanuva

Rec is 10 (9+OVA) x 12mins = 2 hours
kaitanuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 17:45   Link #11
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitanuva View Post
Rec is 10 (9+OVA) x 12mins = 2 hours
Seconding REC.... a short but really good romance anime... and the Female MC is really cute...
Old 2012-09-11, 18:26   Link #12
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Seconding REC.... a short but really good romance anime... and the Female MC is really cute...
Do all yourselves a favor and don't touch the manga.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 18:38   Link #13
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Do all yourselves a favor and don't touch the manga.
why???? If its bad, I'll be content with the anime...
Old 2012-09-11, 22:43   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The OP has already watched REC.

I'll suggest Thermae Romae, a funny little show about a Roman bath designer in 128 CE who gets magically sucked out of a bath and transported through time to a modern Japanese bath. There are six short episodes animated in Flash.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Yondemasu-yo, Azazel-san consists of a dozen or so 15-minute raunchy episodes and two short OVAs. The main characters are a mage detective, his female assistant, and a collection of chibi demons they summon to assist with cases. The demons have very dirty minds, especially Azazel who relies on manipulating human lust.

Images

Finally for some cheesy fun, I'll suggest AKB0048, a spinoff anime based on the AKB48 idol singing group. The story is set hundreds of years in the future, at a time when entertainment is banned on some planets. (There's an historical referent for this, the Tenpou Reforms of the 1840s, which are also satirized in the hilarious Oh! Edo Rocket.) The AKB0048 girls stage guerrilla concerts on these planets and fight against storm troopers intent on enforcing the ban. Here's a taste from the first episode where the four main characters watch one such performance and the ensuing battle. In this episode they are ten years old, but the rest of the show takes place four years later.

Images

My favorite weapon is probably TakaMina's attack hair ribbon. And, yes, all their hair has heart shines, and their eyes have little hearts in them as well. The fact that the four girls already have the shines and the hearts in their eyes just means they are destined for idol-dom.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-09-12 at 08:31.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 04:18   Link #15
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I second AKB0048 (8/10). At first, the synopsis will make you think that it's one of those corny hybrid-genre anime with a really bad plot, but I ended up thoroughly enjoyed it. It's probably my favorite anime of that season. Another anime that

If you don't mind that is takes some time to slowly move the plot, you may want to try a slice of life movie Hotarubi no Mori e (7/10), which is in my opinion amazing. I'm not into anime like this usually, but something about this anime makes me smile. If the pacing and mood of this anime is to your liking, then you should also consider Manabi Straight (10/10) and Haibane Renmei (10/10).

When in doubt, give Ghibli a try. My favorite lighthearted anime from them are Kiki's Delivery Service (9/10) and Whisper of the Heart (8/10).

Even though the OP has already watched REC (8/10), I'll give it a shout-out for others who stumbled upon this thread but hasn't watched it yet. It has a special place on my list. I'll also give a shout-out to Kowarekake no Orgel (7/10) which is just an amazing little gem. ♥

Two anime that are "light" (and ecchi...just a little...bit...okay a lot) are Strike Witches (8/10) and Moetan (8/10). They're not for everyone, but I'm throwing them out there if you're into those types of thing. I'm not an ecchi lover, but those anime are just so hilarious with such likable characters that I ended up loving them.

Finally, although this may be borderline on "over-staged battles" and "stupid plot", I really enjoyed Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha: The Movie 1st (8/10) because of its amazing animation and interesting plot. If you haven't seen many mahou shoujo anime, it's worth a try.

The scores given are from my own preferences on a 1-10 scale.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 01:47   Link #16
Utsuro no Hako

Chibi Devi - pleasant little 5 minute series about a lonely girl who's bullied at school and lives with an aunt who's always out of town on business. One night she prays to God that she'll find someone who loves her. The next morning she wakes up to find a baby in bed with her -- a demon baby.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 04:32   Link #17
xSNOWx

Eiken OVA 2 Episodes - Densuke just enrolled at the exclusive Zashono academy. He's eager to participate in extracurricular activities, but he never expected to join the mysterious Eiken Club. Strangely enough, every other member is a busty co-ed, and many of the clubs activities involve bikinis. But Densuke isn't interested in anyone but the shy and beautiful Chiharu
good for a laugh with rediculous amounts of fanservice
xSNOWx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 08:42   Link #18
Mangakasan
BURST LINK!!

Try nyanpire it was hilarious to me and only had five minute episodes.