AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-12-08, 16:13   Link #501
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
I am not sure if I am alone in this, but having watched 10 episodes of this anime, I still couldn't feel the chemistry between Haru and Shizuku. I suppose my feelings stem from how Haru has a rather childish or to term it better, straightforward manner of approaching Shizuku, while the latter for most part is somewhat aloof which I am not very comfortable with. This discomfort may come from my experience of reading or watching various shoujo mangas/animes whereby the heroines are either explosive/expressive/get pissed off easily or the shy type who needs to be protected. I am also not sure if the seiyuus are to be blamed for this. Their voices are just so emotionless and bland. It's like a bored broadcaster reading aloud the daily news. Maybe that's the way they interpret the characters, who knows? I guess I still need time to accept Shizuku and Haru. I must say, I think the former is more suited with Yamaken.
Well the story starts off slow, which is really bad for the anime since it appears that it will reach its conclusion at episode 13. Theoretically, the anime at best will end at chapter 25 which is a shame. The most interesting part of the manga is when it starts up at 33 and on. On those chapters, it becomes really really interesting. The translated parts are up to ch 35, but recent spoilers in the 40s are really good.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 16:25   Link #502
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
Well the story starts off slow, which is really bad for the anime since it appears that it will reach its conclusion at episode 13. Theoretically, the anime at best will end at chapter 25 which is a shame. The most interesting part of the manga is when it starts up at 33 and on. On those chapters, it becomes really really interesting. The translated parts are up to ch 35, but recent spoilers in the 40s are really good.
Oh, I see. Well, I don't read the manga, so my opinion may seem a bit unjustified, but thanks anyway.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 16:35   Link #503
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Oh, I see. Well, I don't read the manga, so my opinion may seem a bit unjustified, but thanks anyway.
No, no its alright. Some people are manga readers, anime watchers, and light novel enthusiasts. Some like only one, two, or even 3 fields of interests. It gotten rough in this decades where most anime base on manga will only show the introduction part or have an existence of their own. This anime in particular been faithful, its just a shame where the anime only showcase Haru's issues. Mitty's is shown in chapter mid 30s and even 40s, sadly the anime will not get there.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 09:11   Link #504
mirahh

This is a really cute anime; I wonder if there will be a season 2?

I find the relationship between Sasayan and Natsume more interesting than the main couple... I'm probably doing it wrong. It doesn't seem like they will be the beta couple after all. Oh well.

I really love Shizuku, she's a refreshing female lead.
mirahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 11:07   Link #505
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

I do not know if this has mentioned before, but there is a role reversal in the main couple, Shizuku is saving Haru all the time. Sometimes she saves him from himself, but that does not mean it is less important, in ep10 Haru was mere seconds from attempting to kill Yamaken (if he had fallen head first chances are he would have died or ended like Christopher Reves) not only because Haru sincerely loves Shizuku, but because he has clearly stated he believes she is his only chance at redemption God will ever grant him (and with his violent behavior he is not that far from killing someone in a tantrum and throwing his whole life to the dump).
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 15:19   Link #506
RainbowMagnet

Boring episode. No offense, but I really don't give a shit about Yamaken :/
RainbowMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 15:34   Link #507
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowMagnet View Post
Boring episode. No offense, but I really don't give a shit about Yamaken :/
And I do so looking forward to it.
Old 2012-12-10, 16:00   Link #508
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

This episodes does a pretty good job evoking sympathy for Haru. I could see now where he gets that egocentric view of the world.It's a bit like Piaget's theory. Piaget opines that egocentrism greatly influence children's morality, and very often, they are more concerned with the outcome rather than the actual intention. Like for instance, whenever Yamaken makes Haru jealous by openly flirting with Shizuku, Haru will probably just beat the crap out of Yamaken if Shizuku is not present, all this without understanding that Yamaken is just probably trying to provoke him (i won't go deeper about his "feelings" for Shizuku).

Egocentrism is generally thought to occur only in early childhood, but there are some who claim that even adolescents experience them. Watching the latest episode, I am guessing that parental rejection and lack of supportive friends could be the contributing factors that lead to Haru's egocentrism, because poor lad doesn't have the chance to interact with others and properly construct his understanding of the world. In a way, Haru is still trapped in his childhood. Quoting Erikson's eight stages of psychosocial development, unless Haru faces his demons for real, he will continue to experience a hard time trying to move from one transition to another that allows him to properly grow up.

Old 2012-12-10, 16:01   Link #509
ookamigirl

Yamaken pining over Shizuku.
It's really throwing him off his game.
Haru still jealous...
Yamaken's awkward attempts to get closer to Shizuku were lol
Flashbacks to childhood days were interesting.
Heart to heart on a rainy night was really sweet.
Good episode.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 16:17   Link #510
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Yamaken is slowly growing on me. He's actually a pretty cool and normal guy if you look beyond his disdainful attitude. He's still too prideful for his good, however, if not for that he would have already made a move on Shizuku.

This episode portrayed Haru in a bit more sympathetic light. It's not going to be enough to redeem him in the eyes of most people, I'm sure, but it's a start. Seems like he's had a pretty rough childhood. I'm curious to learn the details.

The ending was possibly the most interesting part of the episode. I assume they're intending to bring the Natsume x Mi-chan plot thread to a close before the end of the series. Perhaps they will even introduce the Sasayan x Natsume possibility.
Old 2012-12-10, 18:30   Link #511
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Did this episode just have Haru consider ripping Shizuku's arms and legs off just so he can keep her? Wow, girls sure do love abusive boyfriends, don't they?

Or in other news, the male cast is really not being treated well in this show at all.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 18:48   Link #512
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawfinder View Post
Did this episode just have Haru consider ripping Shizuku's arms and legs off just so he can keep her? Wow, girls sure do love abusive boyfriends, don't they?
Hmmm.....well you have to consider that this dude is like Tarzan who has just gotten to know civilization after being in self-imposed exile for years.

Old 2012-12-10, 19:13   Link #513
Dr. Casey

I think Haru treats Shizuku about as well as Shizuku treats Haru. They're both generally kind to each other, with both of them treating the other unfairly on occasion. And I think both genders are treated pretty equally in this show, with every cast member a good, respectable person in certain ways, and unflatteringly neurotic in others.

Also, props to whoever voices Haru for the screaming in that flashback. That was a nicely-done psychotic rage.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 19:17   Link #514
HandofFate

recently started noticing since the previous xmas party episode, but Shizuku seems to enjoy eating a lot.
Old 2012-12-10, 19:20   Link #515
Dr. Casey

Indeed, and this episode took things a step further and revealed that not just does she enjoy eating, but she's good at sucking on things too.
Old 2012-12-10, 19:47   Link #516
HandofFate

okay finished the episode.
man, Haru is creepy and we're shown his mental issues run deep.
Yamaken was interesting.

A bit of why Haru is annoying to me might be because we never hear his inner-monologue thoughts like with Yamaken or Shizuku. Even when he does some monolguing, he says it outloud to himself, not true inner-reflection.

If I were Yamaken, I would get with Shizuku just to save her from Haru. This episode marks the 3rd time Haru has physically battered shizuku, with the thrown soup can.

Also...
Spoiler for yandere haru:

Run Shizuku, Run...
Old 2012-12-10, 20:33   Link #517
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
This episodes does a pretty good job evoking sympathy for Haru.
Didn't work for me. If anything, I dislike him even more.

Quote:
Hmmm.....well you have to consider that this dude is like Tarzan who has just gotten to know civilization after being in self-imposed exile for years.
Is that supposed to be an excuse for his aggressively violent behavior? You really think he has been completely isolated from society for the last umpteen years that he does not know what is and what is not socially acceptable behavior? I'm surprised he hasn't yet landed in juvenile detention; he is, no matter how you look at it, a juvenile delinquent.

I feel sorry for Mitty because she believes she is in love with Haru. I have known women who were in love with violently aggressive, abusive boyfriends (or husbands). I know that, even though they realize the situation that they are in, they simply can't help themselves because "I love him!" What I fear is that this anime will have Haru undergo a miraculous "cure" and become a model boyfriend in the course of the school year. In reality, it usually takes years before it is either too late (he kills her), or the woman just can't take it anymore and leaves (usually with police protection).

But, I am also disappointed in Mitty. Haru has not suffered any consequences for, once again, whacking her in the head. How many times does she have to suffer physical abuse from her boyfriend before it's too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
If I were Yamaken, I would get with Shizuku just to save her from Haru.
At the expense of his own life? That might work. It might shock Mitty into realizing just what a psycho Haru is once he savagely beats Yamaken to death. Then, perhaps, she would drop him like a hot potato. But, on the other hand, like many women, she just might wait for Haru until he gets out of jail.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 20:43   Link #518
Dr. Casey

Accidents don't count as physical abuse.

Oh, and you never posted in the Hyouka forum during its later episodes. I'm curious if you ever warmed up to Oreki.
Old 2012-12-10, 20:45   Link #519
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post

Is that supposed to be an excuse for his aggressively violent behavior?
I am not excusing Haru for his actions. In fact, Haru needs to face up to what he has done time and again in order to properly reflect on them and learn from it. It's true that he's a juvenile delinquent, but he doesn't arrive at that title overnight. He has emotional scars that are brought forward from childhood, and having only very few people whom he could count on does not help much. Because he doesn't interact much with people, and only 1 or 2 people to rely on, he has no choice but to vent out his suppressed anger and frustration through fists. The presence of Shizuku is not just to serve as his potential girlfriend material, but also as a positive catalyst that will help him to change for the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post

You really think he has been completely isolated from society for the last umpteen years that he does not know what is and what is not socially acceptable behavior?
You don't have to live in a hut in a distant forest to be completely isolated from society. You can walk around people and still feel invisible and left out.

Old 2012-12-10, 21:08   Link #520
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Accidents don't count as physical abuse.

Oh, and you never posted in the Hyouka forum during its later episodes. I'm curious if you ever warmed up to Oreki.
If he had hit the original target, would that have been physical abuse in your opinion, or just an accident? Regardless, his intent was physical harm.

Hmm, I don't remember my last post in the Hyouka forum. But, no, I never ended up liking Oreki.

Quote:
Because he doesn't interact much with people, and only 1 or 2 people to rely on, he has no choice but to vent out his suppressed anger and frustration through fists.
Huh? No choice? If your reasoning was logical, then both Mitty and Natsume would also be using their fists instead of their brains to vent their surpressed anger and frustrations. Or doesn't your reasoning apply to females?

Quote:
You don't have to live in a hut in a distant forest to be completely isolated from society. You can walk around people and still feel invisible and left out.
Feeling invisible and left out does not preclude knowing the difference between right and wrong, nor does it necessarily lead to aggressive and violent physical abuse of fellow citizens. Natsume possibly felt even more left out than Haru, and I don't see her beating up her classmates.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romantic comedy, shoujo