AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-04-25, 05:38   Link #141
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Spoiler for a:
Spoiler for spoilers:
Old 2013-04-25, 06:11   Link #142
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Spoiler for spoilers:
We are talking about the event from a movie perspective through. In another context, another film, with built up, a murder of 3 people will be considered as grand horrible incident.

Here we are talking about a mechanic guy named Tony Stalk, who literally blow an alien mother ship through worm-hole in outer space, after protecting New York from a full-scaled alien invasion. Surely the situation in West Bank can't be that grave in comparison?
Old 2013-04-25, 09:46   Link #143
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
We are talking about the event from a movie perspective through. In another context, another film, with built up, a murder of 3 people will be considered as grand horrible incident.

Here we are talking about a mechanic guy named Tony Stalk, who literally blow an alien mother ship through worm-hole in outer space, after protecting New York from a full-scaled alien invasion. Surely the situation in West Bank can't be that grave in comparison?
You are seriously making an argument that it isn't a big deal to have the equivalent of the Boston bombings on a weekly basis?

An alien invasion is like an acute bacterial infection. You suddenly feel ill, you wish you are dead, and then you either die from it or you recover. Win or lose, a zero sum game.

Non-stop permanent terror attacks that never end, because your taxes is funding the purchase of the IEDs? That's like a chronic disease in the form of Hepatitis B. You get to live for a very long while, but you NEVER get better. There is no "war" or "peace", there is just "a little bit of war every morning".

Is it undramatic for a feature film? Yeah. But if you think what matters is being dramatic, then maybe you got to reconsider why superheroes do what they do.
Spoiler for spoilers:

And one more thing. The people making the film stated that they know they can't even TRY to beat Avengers in being grandiose. That's why they made a more down to Earth story this time. This is a smaller scale story focusing on Tony Stark, not about saving the galaxy.

Last edited by Vallen Chaos Valiant; 2013-04-25 at 09:59.
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 10:57   Link #144
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
You are seriously making an argument that it isn't a big deal to have the equivalent of the Boston bombings on a weekly basis?
....in a bloody movie about alien invasion, galaxy destroying thunder hammer, and flying aircraft carrier? YES
Those incidents were so insignificant that not one, but 10 of them were barely mentioned in the movie. In fact that potato gun seems to get more screen time. Have it not for that, Tony Stalk would have not even involved...

Seriously, can't you separate between real world and fiction? Surely it will be meaningful to have Iron Man 4 about Tony Stalk preventing two teenager blowing up the street with bomb making by pressure cooker? Or it's just a bad attempt try to appeal emotions from real world events?
Quote:
And one more thing. The people making the film stated that they know they can't even TRY to beat Avengers in being grandiose. That's why they made a more down to Earth story this time. This is a smaller scale story focusing on Tony Stark, not about saving the galaxy.
Spoiler for a:
Old 2013-04-25, 11:23   Link #145
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

This film is about Tony cleaning up mess that he created himself once upon a time. It is his responsibility to solve it. You think it is beneath him? That is your opinion. But Tony had to do it because it is his fault. Much the same way in the first film when he cleaned up black market weapons with his name on them.

Everything needs solving. Not just stopping apocalypses. Or we would end up with constant detonation of galaxies before long and only immortals have any relevance to the story. You don't stop alien invasions for the hell of it; you do it to protect the people. If you think people aren't worth protecting when it isn't extravagant enough, then you are treating the characters like pawns and thinking like a super-villain. "Why aren't there enough destruction? It isn't fun enough unless billions die! So die already!"
Old 2013-04-25, 11:31   Link #146
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I think Avengers really got people expecting Gurren-Lagann levels of OTT-ness from the next MCU movies.
Old 2013-04-25, 22:35   Link #147
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I think Avengers really got people expecting Gurren-Lagann levels of OTT-ness from the next MCU movies.
Which like all power creep, isn't really a good thing. Otherwise we'll end up with an Avenger 3 where the superheroes are literally in TTGL-sized mecha fighting against transdimentional aliens with galaxy-sized hammers.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 00:01   Link #148
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Theres a rumor that thano's is setting all these movies up.
Old 2013-04-26, 01:53   Link #149
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Which like all power creep, isn't really a good thing. Otherwise we'll end up with an Avenger 3 where the superheroes are literally in TTGL-sized mecha fighting against transdimentional aliens with galaxy-sized hammers.
More importantly we would lose the human element. Epics are fine once in a while, but the concept of protecting the fabrics of space-time is just so far away from the concerned of average mortals, that it is hard to understand what to feel about it.
Old 2013-04-26, 03:03   Link #150
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

I'm still going to see this film dispite what a lot of people are saying about it, I some times have different opinions than other people when it comes to films :P

End credits spoilers are having me excited...I can't help looking at spoilers HA.

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 03:22   Link #151
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintokifan22 View Post
I'm still going to see this film dispite what a lot of people are saying about it, I some times have different opinions than other people when it comes to films :P

End credits spoilers are having me excited...I can't help looking at spoilers HA.
There isn't that much in terms of crossovers. But I do say I believe the acting was excellent for everyone concerned.
Old 2013-04-26, 04:39   Link #152
Samari
World's Greatest

I saw the film yesterday. I was a little disappointed in the second half as another poster put it.

Spoiler:

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 05:10   Link #153
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
I saw the film yesterday. I was a little disappointed in the second half as another poster put it.

Spoiler:
Spoiler for reply:
Old 2013-04-26, 05:59   Link #154
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Spoiler for reply:
Spoiler:

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2013-04-26, 06:07   Link #155
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Spoiler for spoiler:
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 06:07   Link #156
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

To Samari: If you want Ironman more than Tony, then you don't have a story.

Also, just to point out that they left hints in his house that he had been doing martial arts training.
Old 2013-04-26, 06:51   Link #157
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
To Samari: If you want Ironman more than Tony, then you don't have a story.

Also, just to point out that they left hints in his house that he had been doing martial arts training.
I don't really agree with that as the first one worked so well with plenty of Iron Man and Tony. And the story there is the best one. It's kind of the same issue I had with The Dark Knight Rises. A lot of screen time was dedicated to John Blake doing his thing...which would have been fine if I knew that walking into the movie, but I waiting in line to watch Batman be Batman, and he really isn't the star of that film.

And okay sure they had that prop in his studio, but for me that just isn't enough evidence to suggest that he's a master at tactical espionage now or even martial arts for that matter. That aspect of the plot was just kind of bogus to me.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2013-04-26, 07:10   Link #158
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Tony is not a master martial artist. Not yet. He simply decided to spend his free time on something other than modifying cars. And this follows the progression of the comics.

Also note that
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2013-04-26, 08:35   Link #159
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Tony is not a master martial artist. Not yet. He simply decided to spend his free time on something other than modifying cars. And this follows the progression of the comics.

Also note that
Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler:

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2013-04-26, 11:45   Link #160
solidvanz
Special Operative

My reaction after watching it at the local theater:

Better than Iron Man 2 but almost/equal on par with Iron Man 1 and The Avengers. I do admit I already read all spoilers before watching the movie especially about The Mandarin's origin. Anyway, it doesn't detract me much to enjoy the action, drama and humor. This movie just like the previous movies is all about Tony being Tony himself. My score: 9/10 (Not the final score, gonna wait the DVD/BD version for better enjoyment on the repeated view).