AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2016-10-08, 10:50   Link #1
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Scariest moment in gaming

Have you ever felt a bit scared while playing games? I remember two games that started to creep me out. First, Digimon World 3. Near the game's climax, almost all the characters from the Digital World are turned into pigs (Or Poinkmon). The sky also becomes quite ugly. Maybe it's not scary there but I was about 10 when playing that game. Same thing happened to me when playing the ghosts stage from Sonic and Knuckles.

Now to a more scary series, Resident Evil, the fourth game kind of scared me even though the plot felt a bit cheesy. First of all there was a a guy chasing Leon with a chainsaw. No matter how much I shot him, the guy kept following the character. Also, in the same game there was frozen and spiky mummy that I had to revive in order to move forward. The game had tank control but I believe that made the whole thing scary.

Lastly, the climax of Metal Gear Solid 2. While Raiden running around was funny, the game starts throwing incredibly random comments like "Turn the game off". Some were funny too but before the final battle there was an incredible long cutscene where it looks like the character were talking to the player instead of Raiden.

Anybody also had a creepy moment in gaming?
Old 2016-10-08, 11:17   Link #2
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

The moment that scared me the most in gaming was playing F.E.A.R. a few years back, and there was this part where I need to go down into a dark ventilation shaft with lights blinking through the grates to get to the other side of the building. Then suddenly, Alma in her pale, creepy self appears between the blinking lights crawling FAST towards me. I think I emptied my gun's entire magazine at her that moment in between actually screaming, and I was playing at noontime. The patrons with me in the net café were panicking asking me what happened

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 11:23   Link #3
Psyco Diver

The first time I played Silent Hill, that game just creeped me the heck out, the later games got less and less scary in my opinion but the first one was just plain scary
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 16:10   Link #4
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Remembered another one. In the second chapter of Brave Fencer Musashi for the PS1, the town is invaded by some mix between vampires and werewolf. They don't attack you or anything but even the music was creepy.
Old 2016-10-08, 16:24   Link #5
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Parasite Eve: walking through an abandoned park during a dark, snowy night...it was scary, because I didn't know what to do, what I was up against - I really felt one with the character at that moment, just as clueless and vulnerable.

Abandoned places II: endless maze, skeletons looking at you with a hint of intelligence in their cruel, unforgiving eyes...and the footsteps. Oh god, the footsteps. I had nightmares with this one for a few months.

Resident Evil [Code Veronica]: it was only during the first part, but there is a certain point in the game where two zombie dogs crash out of a window and chase after you. It was a cheap jump scare...but I remember tossing my controller high enough to incur fall damage afterwards :P

Devil May Cry: For an action series, the very first instalment was...very strange. Castle Mallet was weird, twisted, with wraiths coming out of paintings and the hero looking at himself in the mirror and crossing over. Add to all of that the literal otherworld which you eventually have to traverse and the brief underwater claustrophobic experience, and you've got yourself a decent amount of...uneasiness, should I say? It's just that feeling that there is something wrong with the world...and you know it, but can't stop it.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-09, 03:38   Link #6
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

I also nominate FEAR as the scariest game I played.
I cought myself jumping and breathing really heavy more than once. And all because of a little girl in a red dress...

Amnesia TDD comes in second, as I felt really helpless without any way of defending myself and all the randomly spawning monsters.
Old 2016-10-09, 07:44   Link #7
Chosen_Hero

Dead Space and F.E.A.R. 'nough said.
Old 2016-10-09, 09:10   Link #8
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Alien Trilogy - an old shooting game from the PS1. Dark and claustrophobic space colonies plus an eerie soundtrack. Had to turn off the bgm of this game, because it creeped me out too much. A recorded BGM from King of Fighters plays beside me on the sofa while playing this aliens game to reduce the scare.

Resident Evil - encounter with the first zombie.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-10, 02:59   Link #9
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

Silent Hill for me, that game had an oppressing atmosphere, I still feel uneasy just thinking about it.
Der Langrisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-10, 09:59   Link #10
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Resident Evil 2 - Window Hand Zombies and Licker Scene.
Old 2016-10-10, 14:46   Link #11
Jaden

Playing the System Shocks and the first three Resident Evils was definitely scary. One moment that actually made me stop playing for a while was the cleaner guy that I thought I'd defeated busting through walls to chase after me.

Newer horror games like Amnesia have much better crafted horror, for example if you take some "scary moment" clips from both, you'll easily find how Amnesia could be scary and Resident Evil just looks silly.

But the gameplay makes the difference. When you're forced into hard decisions about managing your resources, when to run and when to fight, it adds a lot of immersion/investment which are prerequisites to anything being truly scary. And when you've made all those calculations, think you're going to be fine, and then the game throws a curveball accompanied by a proper jump scare...that to me is where a horror video game shines. Although saying that...even Half-Life had a lot of moments like that, even though it's not at all a horror game, so IDK.
Old 2016-10-11, 04:25   Link #12
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Don't go to Ravenholm.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-11, 18:07   Link #13
Wandering Soul

Dead Space for me. I especially got tense around the zero gravity sections when I could hear the necromorphs, but not be able to tell where they were coming from.
Old 2016-10-12, 00:20   Link #14
Mach56gs
Do-Gooder

SA-X in Metroid Fusion, a million times no.
Old 2016-10-12, 00:22   Link #15
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Fatal Frame 3 crawl spaces.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-12, 01:29   Link #16
YF19EX

Well this is going way back. Probably before many here were born. In the Atari 800 days my dad used it as his 8 bit gaming rig, Lucasfilm Games produced a game called Rescue on Fractalus. The basic premise was you had to fly a rescue missions to get downed pilots. It was pretty complex for its time. It was piloted from a FPS Cockpit view. You had shields, fuel, targeting, weapons etc.

Well the thing was you would land on the planet and wait for the downed pilot to approach your ship. You would lower the shields and wait for him to pound on the door. Then you open the airlock and let them in. Well sometimes those pilots were not friendlies. Next thing you know you got this alien beast pounding on your windscreen until it either got in and killed you or you raised your ships shields in time to fry it. As a kid that scared the shit out of me.

Anything in the Aliens Franchise scared me as a kid. And when AVP came out I still hated the sound of the motion tracker. My brother used to play it on the PC and he would turn it up just to annoy me. Of course I think Aliens is now one of James Cameron's greatest movies!

And of course Silent Hill and the First Resident Evil are a given. I remember when they published a first level walkthrough in RE1 in I think Playstation Magazine. I was trying to use it as a guide as to what to expect only to find out it was not accurate. Turned out PSM used a beta version and published the results it got from their before the final game came out.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-12, 01:46   Link #17
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

I never played scary games and never will, but I do watch other people play lol. I had some scary moments watching SeaNanners play Amnesia

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-12, 21:29   Link #18
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Amnesia the Dark Descent was hella scary the first couple times I played it. I was so freaked out, that I could only play for around 30 min at a time because it was too stressful.

Silent Hill 2 still freaks me out. Shit just ain't right. Brrrrrrr.
Old 2016-10-13, 18:44   Link #19
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Alien: Isolation - Pretty much all of it.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-14, 11:56   Link #20
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
The moment that scared me the most in gaming was playing F.E.A.R. a few years back, and there was this part where I need to go down into a dark ventilation shaft with lights blinking through the grates to get to the other side of the building. Then suddenly, Alma in her pale, creepy self appears between the blinking lights crawling FAST towards me. I think I emptied my gun's entire magazine at her that moment in between actually screaming, and I was playing at noontime. The patrons with me in the net café were panicking asking me what happened
Haha, I had that pretty much exact same reaction, that and the time when you go to climb a ladder and turn around and she is standing there.

That game was genuinely scary the first time you played it.