AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-07-22, 22:59   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Questions about the Kimono/Yakata

I'm probubly butchering the spelling on these names, but I'm very curious about the japanese Kimono's and the ladies counterpart, the Yakata, the traditional japanese dress from olden days. I've seen both worn in a variety of ways and with a variety of accesories. Like for men, what's a "proper" kimono and how's it supposed to be worn? Also, for the women, I've seen them wearing Yakata's with the thick waste band and large boy on them in two different ways. One with the bow in the front, the other with the bow in the back. If memory serves me right, someone mentioned somewhere to me at one time that traditional dress dictates that the bow is worn in the back (note geisha's do this too) because prostetutes wore it in the front as a partial advertisement for their services. Yet I've seen regular women who go around with the bow in the front who are obviously anything but a prostetute. SO I'm confused and google isn't being nice to me tonight.

Can someone explain a bit of the history and custom with this traditional outfit? Also, is there places online to buy these outfits? Much apreciated.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-22, 23:34   Link #2
MidoriShinobi
Boha-haha!!

Send a message via AIM to MidoriShinobi Send a message via MSN to MidoriShinobi
Yukata are not strictly for women. It is a light cotton kimono that is worn during the summer, and is very informal. There are many different types of kimono, that are worn depending on your age, gender, availability for mariage, and the formality of the even. For example, the furisode is a type of kimono worn by young women who are not married. It has bright colourful patterns, and long sleeves. However, a married woman's kimono is usually a solid colour, with shorter sleeves. The Obi (kimono sash) is tied around the the and in the back. There are many different ways to tie it, and some are very, very complex. It's true that prositutes would tie their obi in the front, so that it would be easier to take on and off. If I'm not mistaken, what you're probably thinking of is an obijame. It's a tie that goes on top of the obi and ties in the front, usually in just a plain knot. It isn't uncommon for young girls to tie it into a bow instead, though, much like Fuu from Samurai Champloo. There are places to buy kimono, however they are VERY expenisve, since most are made from silk, and are rather extravagent. I would buy a yukata, if you really would like to have them, as they are easier to wear, and much less expensive. Try a search on Ebay, or Froogle for "Yukata" and you should find something to your liking. It's important to remeber to alway wrap the left side of the kimono over the right side, since the other way is only ever used to dress a corpse for burial. The only difference between men's and women's kimono, is that the sleeves for men's kimono are completely sewn closed under the arm. This portion of the kimono is called the "tamoto". Well, I hope I answered some of your questions, and yes, this is all from memory. I love traditional japanese clothing. If you have any other questions, just ask~!
MidoriShinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 07:39   Link #3
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Thanks for the info! That was very informative.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote