AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-11-30, 06:14   Link #501
Alchemist007
*Author

My friend was convinced that he'd be good with his xp till 2013. I kept bugging him to get W7 and he did a couple days ago. Now he's all "what the hell did I mention 2013 for?" Yeah he's in love with it.
Old 2009-11-30, 17:38   Link #502
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Windows 7 will quite possibly mark the first time since Windows 95 that I adopt a Windows release without waiting for the first service pack...
Old 2009-11-30, 18:29   Link #503
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Windows 7 x64 and and Ubuntu 9.10 x64.... is Computer heaven.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 00:08   Link #504
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'll be getting full use of my time left with the RC candidate but yeah... I don't think I've been this relatively unpissed since win2Ksp4.

As Penny Arcade says, "Windows 7... it doesn't suck."
Old 2009-12-01, 22:39   Link #505
BradF
Evac
*IT Support

Just got a new laptop last month so upgrade was free. I run XP on my desktop and used vista on my laptop before I got the upgrade CD, loving win 7 thus far.

Quote:
As Penny Arcade says, "Windows 7... it doesn't suck."
Yes Sir!
BradF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 15:59   Link #506
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Finally got Windows 7 and for the last few days it's been pretty superior to Vista and by "superior" I simply mean it hasn't sucked much at all, but there is one thing that it still does that Vista did...On my favorite 2 media players (BSplayer & KMP player) I can't get my color controls to work at all...I can only use ffddshow which requires me to open it up everytime I want any simple change...It's very frustrating because atleast on $hitty Vista I could use Nvidia's forced color-bar option and just adjust it in a smaller window as I felt the need, but Windows 7 has done away with this option...I want to be able to use MY PLAYERS and simply be able to adjust the color to my liking...How do I do that?
Old 2009-12-24, 16:16   Link #507
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Finally got Windows 7 and for the last few days it's been pretty superior to Vista and by "superior" I simply mean it hasn't sucked much at all, but there is one thing that it still does that Vista did...On my favorite 2 media players (BSplayer & KMP player) I can't get my color controls to work at all...I can only use ffddshow which requires me to open it up everytime I want any simple change...It's very frustrating because atleast on $hitty Vista I could use Nvidia's forced color-bar option and just adjust it in a smaller window as I felt the need, but Windows 7 has done away with this option...I want to be able to use MY PLAYERS and simply be able to adjust the color to my liking...How do I do that?
A lot of problems I faced with windows seven had to do with third party software not being updated by the authors to handle windows vista and windows 7.

Especially games.

My MED dictionary software had to be patched and my samsung mobile phone software was garbage on windows 7... it simply will not run.

Samsung software was garbage anyway, especially for my Toco.

I checked samsung and they had no reply but to tell me that my usb driver was obsolete and would no longer be supported.

I sold my samsung and bought a Nokia

To tell you the truth alot of what I faced with moving to windows 7 was the software was badly programmed.

Media players are even worse.

Many will fail on windows 7... because these media players need to be updated.

However some will still work if you enable compatability mode ... such as Windows XP mode or Vista service pack 1.

Just right click on your icon and go to compatability... otherwise do what I did.

download the new version... or visit the forums of the software you use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from website
News

* 1.NEW BS.Player 2.51 is available for download! December 24, 2009

Version 2.51.1020 includes:

FIXES:

* fixed problem with subtitles embedded in mkv files with new parser/renderer
* EVR aspect ratio fixes
* fixed problem with EVR in full screen mode, some areas was not completely black
* under Vista and Windows 7 some decoders couldn't be added in 'Filter management', fixed
* local codec system fixes (codec reinstall required)
* fixed problem with power savings options (monitor powering down) on laptop computers
* some other minor bug fixes

ADDITIONS:

* added option to disable embedded subtitles
* custom extension can now be added in Vista and Windows 7 (UAC prompt will be displayed)
* added second online subtitle provider getsubtitle.com
The bad programming we got away with in earlier versions of windows we cant get away with as much in windows 7. Thats just how it turned out.

Last edited by Zetsubo; 2009-12-24 at 16:28.
Old 2009-12-24, 16:56   Link #508
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Come to my realization, Windows 7 is not any more different from Vista and it's not better than sliced bread... it's just a patch job to fix some of the problems, add a new ribbon interface to Paint and Wordpad, remove a lot of features with crippled versions you need to install separately and a Superbar, which looks too much like the Mac OS X dock and KDE4 while slapping a expensive price tag on it.

Windows 7 shouldn't be priced so high since the changes are so minor. It's more like a Windows Vista SP2 than a separate OS since it basicly use the same kernel and versioned 6.1. XP Mode is pretty much useless for anything but old programs that don't use 3D or that much computing power, since the virtualization technology used in XP-Mode doesn't support 3D in the first place.

The programs that stopped working is... Eternal Fighter Zero... well yeah, I think it worked in Vista, but not in 7... WTH? Also, older Anti-virus programs don't work on 7, obviously and I had to update Macdrive 7 to 8 since 7 doesn't work in 7. People say Windows 7 is better than anything else, but end of the day, it's still Windows since it still contains the outdated and flawed Registry. I see that Unix and Linux based OSes being the future in computing than Windows... just look at Windows Mobile, it's a complete failure. Unless Microsoft gets rid of the Registry, I don't see Windows as a viable OS anymore. And yes, I have been using Windows 7 for several months just for games and I don't find anything special about it.
Old 2009-12-24, 19:39   Link #509
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Tried the compatibility test with every version of BSplayer from 1.37 to current 2.51 (Haven't even tried KMP yet)...$hit has only gotten worse to where only the subs play and nothing else...Whose responsible this? Because XP is still so much better than this $hit...Windows 7 hasn't really sucked, but for someone who lives and breaths media player stuff I can't cope with not being able to SIMPLY, SIMPLY be able to adjust screen colors on my set...

It's hard to get in the Xmas spirit when you can do everything but the most simpliest of tasks...I've heard of this other OS called "XP Black"...Any word on if that sux or not? Additionally any other suggestion on my current problem would be appreciated, thanx....
Old 2009-12-24, 19:42   Link #510
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Tried the compatibility test with every version of BSplayer from 1.37 to current 2.51 (Haven't even tried KMP yet)...$hit has only gotten worse to where only the subs play and nothing else...Whose responsible this? Because XP is still so much better than this $hit...Windows 7 hasn't really sucked, but for someone who lives and breaths media player stuff I can't cope with not being able to SIMPLY, SIMPLY be able to adjust screen colors on my set...

It's hard to get in the Xmas spirit when you can do everything but the most simpliest of tasks...I've heard of this other OS called "XP Black"...Any word on if that sux or not? Additionally any other suggestion on my current problem would be appreciated, thanx....
The people who wrote the player software you want to use are resonsible.

I told you bad media software will be exposed in windows 7.

Other players work witout a hitch such as Media Player classic home cinema.
Old 2009-12-24, 19:45   Link #511
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Come to my realization, Windows 7 is not any more different from Vista and it's not better than sliced bread... it's just a patch job to fix some of the problems, add a new ribbon interface to Paint and Wordpad, remove a lot of features with crippled versions you need to install separately and a Superbar, which looks too much like the Mac OS X dock and KDE4 while slapping a expensive price tag on it.

Windows 7 shouldn't be priced so high since the changes are so minor. It's more like a Windows Vista SP2 than a separate OS since it basicly use the same kernel and versioned 6.1. XP Mode is pretty much useless for anything but old programs that don't use 3D or that much computing power, since the virtualization technology used in XP-Mode doesn't support 3D in the first place.

The programs that stopped working is... Eternal Fighter Zero... well yeah, I think it worked in Vista, but not in 7... WTH? Also, older Anti-virus programs don't work on 7, obviously and I had to update Macdrive 7 to 8 since 7 doesn't work in 7. People say Windows 7 is better than anything else, but end of the day, it's still Windows since it still contains the outdated and flawed Registry. I see that Unix and Linux based OSes being the future in computing than Windows... just look at Windows Mobile, it's a complete failure. Unless Microsoft gets rid of the Registry, I don't see Windows as a viable OS anymore. And yes, I have been using Windows 7 for several months just for games and I don't find anything special about it.
Since I do hardware work I can tell you the changes are not minor.

Even the code level work is different especially for the driver foundation.

In engineering we learn that just because something workes doesn't make it proper.

I have to deal with alot of "because it worked before" electrical installations in my job and often say to the client, if your house burns down because of this shoddy wiring you wouldn't say that anymore.

So many homes have shoddy wiring. Electricians get away with it because people don't see the innards.

They flip a switch and the lights come on... and they are happy.

Meanwhile, when I find that your neutral bar is glowing red hot in your circuit breaker panel you end up amazed.

Or if I do not catch it in time your apartment is burnt down... because your toaster burnt your wires, the breaker didn't tip and your smoke detectector batteries are older than moses.

Once again, bad programs will be exposed in Windows 7.

Just like the bad wiring in so many homes.

That is simply the truth.

Even the devs at Valve admit this to me.

As for gaming, I use 7 beyond that ... and it simply is well thought out.

I do alot of spreadsheet work along with technical documentation and research... electrical simulations etc.

Windows 7 is way better than XP and Vista.

It is a researcher platform like no other.

Particularly the search and indexing features.

Vistas search function were several seconds slower... laggy and buggy.

XP had nothing like it... infact most people turn off search indexing on XP.

Restore points work perfectly on Windows 7 but never on on XP or Vista (always a problem with vista )

Memory management finally works almost like Linux on Windows 7 and that is good stuff... the list is too big bother.

I have learned over the years that people evaluate and do things using past experiences.

One tech I know turned off swap file (pagefile) on his Windows 7 box... I asked him why he said to make it faster.

I then asked him what was his proof... he confidently said "Experience wit XP"

He pointed out (press ctrl+shit+esc) that Windows 7 hogs his memory also and didn't leave anything free (he has 4 gigs of ram)

That is how it supposed to work dummy... it is supposed to hog your ram.

I had to show him my Linux box doing same thing ... Proper memory management means caching some of the stuff your use regulalry into memory... and off loading it into "swap space" or pafge file when it is not needed. If your turn off paging file you have no where for the cache to go to and it stays in moemoryor gets dev/nulled.

thus your system has to load everythign all over again.... waste of time.

Game players need to look into using ready boost thumb drives and really notice that Windows 7 will perform way better on games with a drive set to readyboost.... and the more you play the better it gets.

You do not need to turn of pagefile in windows... I had to tell him that and prove it... all because he had the XP experience in his mind. He assumed that microsoft never bothered to create a proper memory manager.

The guy I told to use readyboost for a week called me up all excited... "I get 30 more minutes on battery, I get half an hour more !"

duh !

Last edited by Zetsubo; 2009-12-24 at 20:10.
Old 2009-12-24, 19:53   Link #512
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I'd be careful of predicting that other OSes will supplant Windows. Windows 7 has pretty much matched OS X's numbers in terms of machines online already and it's not like the flaws in Windows haven't existed for a very long time.

I do agree that there's little point to upgrading from Vista to 7. I think, however, that 7 is probably going to be the OS that convinces a lot of XP users to upgrade... if only because of things like the fact that so many modern computers are 64 bit and the 64 bit version of XP is a black sheep in terms of support.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 19:55   Link #513
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

LOL, I think the isssue is that XP played these "bad programs" perfectly, while the newer OS makes everything a hassle... Bah-humbug...
Old 2009-12-24, 20:23   Link #514
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
LOL, I think the isssue is that XP played these "bad programs" perfectly, while the newer OS makes everything a hassle... Bah-humbug...
Exactly...

However that hassel makes life better for you in the long run... windows versions in the pasty has spoiled us into getting used to a bad security model... and "shoddy wiring" was done to make things "play perfectly".

How many people still run as admin on their Windows 7 computer ?

Why ?
Old 2009-12-24, 20:33   Link #515
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Dude, if I could just press a button that allowed me to adjust the color settings in BSplayer without dealing with the external decoders that would be a nice Xmas...I honestly don't care about anything else...As much as I despised Vista (which also didn't let me change my color settings) atleast the Nvidia force settings let me do so, the one thing I would have hoped they kept...Windows 7 is like Fuk easy color settings (even for the OS itself that makes you go thru all these ghey ass test screens itstead of just giving you a $hitty little color adjust bar via the graphic properties in Nvidia...It's absolutley insane how they dumbed this OS down to where it's MORE complicated...I just don't get it, and don't care about anything but just clicking the video button in BS player and being able to brighten the color...Jesus why is this so hard with 2010 right around the corner?
Old 2009-12-24, 20:40   Link #516
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
I honestly don't care about anything else...
Hmmmm...........

Did you do this ?

From here ? BSPLAYER Fix
Old 2009-12-24, 20:46   Link #517
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Before I even brought the question up here i did that...the first thing i did was google "How to fix BSplayer color settings with Windows 7"...like a million things popped up showing me that millions of peeps have the same problem...I then went to the BS forum and read up on fixing it where I found the solution you just gave...Nothing works...

And KMP player my most reliable player used to let you adjust the color settings in Vista, but in Windows 7 it does the same thing, which is nada...
Old 2009-12-24, 20:49   Link #518
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Before I even brought the question up here i did that...the first thing i did was google "How to fix BSplayer color settings with Windows 7"...like a million things popped up showing me that millions of peeps have the same problem...I then went to the BS forum and read up on fixing it where I found the solution you just gave...Nothing works...

And KMP player my most reliable player used to let you adjust the color settings in Vista, but in Windows 7 it does the same thing, which is nada...
did you shut down DWM and aero ?

As in switch down to a windows classic theme ?
Old 2009-12-24, 20:55   Link #519
Zetsubo
著述遮断

What nvidia card are you using ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken from cccp wiki
Symptoms: You own a NVidia card, and are also unlucky by nature (this problem seems to affect some NVidia cards with some drivers only).

Error Description: NVidia set strange values that affect the appearence of videos when using either Overlay Mixer or VMR7 output modes.

Solution:

1. It seems Nvidia 6800 owners are particularly struck by this kind of problem. Using latest drivers and Overlay Mixer or VMR 7 modes gives washed out colours. The solution is to use the VMR 9 Windowed renderer, although this means having to live with the slight hue shift to green and the smoothness the resizing filter of VMR 9 brings.

You can also make the picture become slightly more reasonable by doing the following:

1. Go to "Display Properties -> Settings [Tab] -> Advanced [button] -> GeForce xxxx [Tab] -> Color Correction"
2. Change the Apply Color Changes [drop down] to Overlay
3. Change Brightness [slider] to 100% and Contrast [slider] to 100%
4. Click Apply
5. Go to "Display Properties -> Settings [Tab] -> Advanced [button] -> GeForce xxxx [Tab] -> Video Overlay Settings"
6. Change Hue [slider] to 0 and Saturation [slider] to 100%
7. Click Apply
8. Click OK and OK again.
Old 2009-12-24, 21:03   Link #520
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
did you shut down DWM and aero?
Yes, I fooled with this all last night before posting my probs looking for that last second desperate help today...

Nvidia GeForce 6150Se nForce 430 is my card however that helps...