AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-02-01, 16:28   Link #1
Write
Banned

Examine my list and let me know what I've missed

I'd like to make an effort to watch the "must-sees" before I quit anime, I honestly think it's the only way to go out.

If you could take a look at my list and point them out I'd really appreciate it. Genre isn't important of course, as long as it's considered great by your standards than it's worth watching in my case.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Write
Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 16:48   Link #2
jedinat

lol, why do you need to "quit anime"?

Your list is so short it's not really a matter of letting you know what you've missed... you can refer to my little favorites list if you're so inclined. It's years old but suffices I suppose.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 16:56   Link #3
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

First, I have to recommend you to watch Ghost in the Shell movies and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex series. The movies and series are unrelated, so you can watch either one independently. I think it’s a superb sci-fi anime.

Talk about great sci-fi, you should also watch Steins;Gate. One of the best.

You should also watch anime movies from Studio Ghibli like Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Howl's moving Castle, etc which are visual extravaganza with solid stories that fits for the family but not necessarily dumbed-down.

If you want a taste of Magical Girl genre with intense action but without the ridiculous “love-love” attacks and poses, you can try Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. If you can enjoy that, continue it by watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Enjoy .
Old 2013-02-01, 16:57   Link #4
Write
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
lol, why do you need to "quit anime"?

Your list is so short it's not really a matter of letting you know what you've missed... you can refer to my little favorites list if you're so inclined. It's years old but suffices I suppose.
I don't need to, I just don't have the desire to keep up with new shows so I'm going to watch the passed greats I may have missed.

My list is short because there aren't many anime series I consider to be great. That's my opinion though so I want to know what other's think because I know I missed at least a handful.
Old 2013-02-01, 18:53   Link #5
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
It seems you liked "the girl who leapt through time" so I'd suggest other Hosoda movies such as "Summer wars" as well as "Wolf Children" (fansubs of it should be available in a couple weeks)

Don't see anything from Satoshi Kon on your list,I really like all of his work,tough to pick just one,just look up his movies and seem which one intrigues you the most.

Don't see a Mitsuru Adachi adaptation either on your list,you can go old school with "Touch" or something more recent with "Cross Game" (I have a preference for Cross Game but maybe because it's the first I saw)

"Azumanga Daioh" remains to me the standard when it comes to "all girls high school slice of life show
"Aria" is my standard for slice of life in general

I think you'd like both "Death note" and "Monster".

"Trigun" is another classic from the late 90s

I'll stop here but I honestly could go on.
Old 2013-02-01, 19:06   Link #6
Write
Banned

Updated my list with the above suggestions. Thanks!
Old 2013-02-01, 19:15   Link #7
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Here are a list of the great anime (that I have seen) that are missing from your list:

Neon Genesis Evangelion No, the Rebuild movies do not count. You have to watch the TV show followed by End of Evangelion. Yes it's a flawed show, it's still incredibly influential, and the Rebuild just doesn't have the same message. (They almost feel more like a sequel then a remake).

Maison Ikkoku The greatest of Takahashi's works. Still influences romantic comedies today.

Touch or Cross Game. You ought to watch at least one Adachi show, and these are his two masterpieces.

Space Battleship Yamato aka Starblazers. If you can't take the classic 70's art and storytelling you could watch Yamato 2199 which is a good remake.

Madoka Magica. Yes it's hyped. Even so, this one has a reason for being hyped. It is a great show.

Clannad: After Story The first season is fun, but it doesn't really become a great show until After Story.

Those are the ones you should watch first. Others that you should consider:

Crest of the Stars High quality
Ranma 1/2 Flawed, but still a major milestone in anime
Tenchi Muyo and Tenchi Universe Since you liked Tenchi GXP, especially watch the special Galaxy Police Mihoshi's Space Adventure
Bunny Drop
Whisper of the Heart
Ah My Goddess (especially the Movie, but you have to watch several episodes first.)
The other Full Metal Panic seasons, especially the Second Raid (you can even skip Fumuffu entirely if you like).
Read or Die (OVAs)
Chrono Crusade
Penguindrum
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 19:45   Link #8
Write
Banned

I've seen NGE and the 3 FMP seasons. List adjusted accordingly and I added your suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 2013-02-01, 20:43   Link #9
kitten320

I can name my favorites but duno if they will be yours as well...

Worth a try I guess...

From ongoing series, I really like Magi. Somehow it seems different from typical action series and have nice feel to it. Not perfect but worth a check.

Aria series - I usually dislike episodic ones bu this was an exception. It is a peaceful slice of life that should be watched only when you are in relaxing mood. If you are hyper and action driven, stay away from it. Despite being episodic, episodes still have connection and eventually lead to a great final in season 3. First season is Aria the Animation.
But as I said it is a specific genre so it might not be for everyone.

Baccano! - a very unique way of story telling. Didn't see any other anime like that. Story is a mess at first but gradually all dots get connected and all questions are answered. Despite being a mess at first it still keeps you entertained with nice action and characters.

Bakuman - not the best ever but unique. Series are about manga industry and the process of how things work. I found it entreating and useful besides it eventually introduces a nice set of characters. Story is done by same person as Death Note but this is a comedy. 3rd season is in the middle of airing now.

Berserk - that's classic. Anime series have interesting cast and story as well as group relationship build up which you makes you attached to them. There are new movies (remakes) bu old anime series are better. It eventually has a similar conflict like Ga-Rei Zero.

Chihayafuru - a dark horse of last year. No one expected anything but received almost everything. Series have beautiful art and great character cast. It knows how to build up the mood and keep you engaged. Anime turned a kinda boring card game into something memorable and exciting. One of my top.

Claymore - good dark action, one of the arks gives similar feeling to Ga-Rei Zero. Kept me on the edge of my seat, making me want to know more. Not perfect but has its pluses. Characters is one of them.

Ghost Hunt - one of my all time faves. I have weakness for mysteries/detective stories and ghost stories. This series are a great mix of all with variety of cases and takes on them. Good soundtracks and characters. Series know how to build up the mood. Love it!

Great Teacher Onizuka - classic which is a must for everyone. A good mix of drama and comedy. Main hero Onizuka strives to become the best teacher in Japan. the problem is that he is a perv and ex-member of a big gang. His ways of helping students are very different. For example pushing student off the bridge!
Really worth it!

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai - a slightly different take on romance/harem series. For one MC is very likable and unique. You won't meet many of those in romance series. A good laugh.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica - a completely different and unique take on magical girl shows. Despite its cute art, it has lots of dark secrets that you want to learn and solve. Real thing starts after episode 3.

Mai-HiME - one of my first anime series so I hold them close. To be honest I would say that they and Nanoha are the ones that inspired Madoka series because of how many similarities are there. But Madoka made all of them better.
Mai HiME still is worth a check because of its bright and memorable cast of characters as well as nice animation. It has good mix of comedy and drama. Gets more serious in second half.

Major - series have a lots of seasons and to extend they do seem similar but despite that it has nice characters and good baseball games. I'm not into baseball but this show managed to get me engaged and it explores a lot of different things. It is a good one to look at if you want to try sport genre.

Mayo Chiki - I really don't know why but I loved this one. I usually hate fan service shows but I liked this one. Made me laugh lots.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - one of my faves. I love its dark atmosphere and the fact this series are not scared to show what assassins actually are, their cruelness.
Series are about a guy who lost his memories and was forced to become an assassin if he want to live. He is trained by the best knows as Phantom. Series have 3 arcs.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin* - good, dark and emotional series as well as inspiring that focus on a group of friends that met in prison. Series follow their time in prison and outside.

Seirei no Moribito - really strong and unique series that have both action and slice of life elements. Everything it does and shows has its worth and plays as development both story and character wise.
Series focus on Balsa, female bodyguard, who was entrusted to protect young prince Chagum who is hunted by his own father Emperor. It is believed that evil spirit possessed him and needs to be executed.
Series focus on both chaotic and calm times and explore both sides and nice cast of memorable characters. Great soundtracks too.

Shiki - by same author as Ghost Hunt. I'm not into vampires but this series brought old believes and traditions what made it more interesting. Good soundtracks and build up.

Sword of the Stranger - if you liked Samurai Champloo, it is a must. This is a movie with great sword action and good soundtracks.

Everything that's underlined, I consider to bee very good and something I would gladly have on DVD.
* - great series that everyone needs to see but might not be something I would re-watch.

Everything else varies in quality but since they left an impression, I thought it would be right to mention them.