AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Asatte no Houkou

Notices

Old 2006-10-15, 20:41   Link #141
rsavoie

Well, after seeing two episodes, I have nothing but praise for the series so far.

Episode 2 was excellent. It's pace is deliberate mainly for dramatic effect. After Karada and Shouko's transformation, the episode concentrates specifically on how the transformation affects everyone within the day after it happened.

What I particularly liked about episode 2 was how the writers hit the mark with the realistic reactions of both Karada and Shouko. While Karada does act mature for her age, she is still a child personality-wise and acts accordingly to her new circumstances (disbelieving it at first, and then pursuing whatever possibility there is to reverse it as quickly as possible regardless of its probability of sucess). And while Shouko transformation is equally serious, her adult personality and her composure with regards to emotional response sends her down the path that "life must go on", and that thinking through about the situation will ultimately make her find a solution or make her accept her transformation.

So, I give the writers brownie points for giving episode 2 a genuine dramatic feel to it.

Hopefully, in some future episodes, they try to cover the "What went wrong" angle; I'm assuming that there is such an angle because so far, there is evidence that Karada and Shouko's wishes weren't fulfilled quite like they had expected... Shouko indicates at the end of episode 2 that she didn't wish to be a child and Karada's wish of being an adult to free Hiro from his obligations isn't complete either. She looks like an adult but still has the mind of a mature child.
rsavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 20:56   Link #142
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Wow... Just watched this and I am floored by how good the first two episodes were. This is going to be one of my top top watches of this year. I cannot wait for episode 3!
Old 2006-10-15, 23:21   Link #143
dannyz

anyone notice how fast shouko changed clothes when chasing after karada? reminded me of clark kent and phone booths.

speaking of her clothes. those were the same ones that karada had on last night. so unless hiro-nii is totally blind i am pretty sure he recognized them on shouko. i also believe that the pajamas that shouko gave karada to wear are remants of the relationship that shouko and hiro-nii had. so he shouldve recognized the clothes he bought for harada and the pajamas he left with shouko. i think he just escaped to try to make sense of what he saw.
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 23:54   Link #144
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

With regards about Hiro's reasons for not going to the police yet, I think it may be because he is the sole guardian for Karada, and it will not reflect well on him if the welfare agencies find out about this. He risks losing custody of Karada if the welfare agencies pounce on this incident and make a big hoohah over it.

It was probably not easy for Hiro to gain custody over Karada in the first place due to his age and status, and hence it is easy to understand where all the sacrifices he made for Karada come into place. He had find employment, he had to prove he could provide shelter for the both of them, he had to prove that he has the time to nurture her, etc...
~~~~ ~~~~

On a side note, man... Hiro did not age well. He looked much better in the past.

Cheers.
Old 2006-10-16, 00:08   Link #145
Busaiku Chama
爆発

I actaully liked the slow pacing of the 2nd episode.
Just made it seem a lot more enjoyable for me.

I'm also amazed at how Shouko was pretty much unscathed by the incident.
She did act somewhat more mature than the 1st episode.
Old 2006-10-16, 03:41   Link #146
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Skane points out something quite significant which reflects the reasons why Hiro hasn't gone to the police yet. I'm pretty sure that what Karada wore wasn't the only one of its kind in the entire world, and I'm pretty sure that those pajamas were generic enough that putting it on someone who looked like a more mature form of your sister didn't really impress upon him that it may have been Shouko's, or that the wearer may have been Karada.

People sometimes compare me with some people who are older than me. If I looked like those older people now, I'd think even my parents would not recognize who I am; conversely, that also goes for Shouko. So I don't think this show's unrealistic; in fact, it's quite believable.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 05:53   Link #147
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

This show is dream-like; the idea isn't anything really great at all, and the story or the characters don't seem that special. But the show is so well made... The amazing visuals, and especially wonderful backgrounds, the fantastic music score (That's one of the best piano scores I've heard for a while), everything seems to be perfect. I'll definitely watch this to the end.

Last edited by Quajafrie; 2006-10-16 at 06:08.
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 06:01   Link #148
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 2.

Add me to the list of people that love the slow pacing. It works so incredibly well for this series just to take its time and it's certainly afraid to be slow. But, by taking those extra few seconds on seemingly inconsequential things, it allows itself to generate so much atmosphere. It's worked a treat in that respect... but obviously this series isn't for someone with a short attention span.

Of all the series I've seen so far this season, after two episodes, this one has by far and away the largest amount of potential. This is easily the most likely to be a winner of the series I've seen, and could easily be the sleeper hit of the season... or maybe even the year. It really does look like it has all the elements of a winner, particularly the atmosphere and characters.

All of a sudden, this season isn't too bad after all.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 06:10   Link #149
itzfurrball

Send a message via ICQ to itzfurrball Send a message via AIM to itzfurrball Send a message via Yahoo to itzfurrball
the show is absolutely wonderful.

the OP lures you to think that it's a carefree slice-of-life show, and then you start watching... the first episode is angsty, and the second one is utterly depressing...

the wish has been granted... but there's no sign of joy... Karada is overwhelmed with feelings of shock and guilt. Houkou's emotions and thoughts are too complex for her to even show them at all.

this seems like a show that's going to be touching on many levels
itzfurrball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 06:16   Link #150
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Although it dealt with a somber mood, I smiled throughout episode two because I was thinking 'this is the way anime should be made.' I'm still having a difficult time congealing what I've thought about this episode because it was really dynamic. I can't believe I'm watching a lot of anime this season - it's just full of good stuff.

The great anime just are stacking up this season. I love it.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 06:58   Link #151
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

The slow pacing for episode worked perfectly - of course, with such a change to there lifes, its going to take sometime for at least one of them to get used to the idea. Some great music was also played in this episode.

As for the ending, i have this little feeling that Hiro knew that was Karada & Shouko, he just didn't want to believe it.

Last edited by Shiroth; 2006-10-16 at 07:14.
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 08:47   Link #152
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
While Karada does act mature for her age, she is still a child personality-wise and acts accordingly to her new circumstances (disbelieving it at first, and then pursuing whatever possibility there is to reverse it as quickly as possible regardless of its probability of sucess).
Well, call me childish but I think most mature adults would have done the same in these circumstances. Certainly it was worth a try to check out if the wishstone won't reverse the process.

Quote:
When Karada put the bows in her hair and Shouko said they "looked really good... in a childish way." Twas a mean comment, but I see it more as a slip in her facade than an indicator of her being a bad person.
Oh, this remark. I had forgotten this meaning of bow, sorry. I actually liked this moment quite a lot. It just showed that being treated as an adult is not that great - adults are expected to spare unpleasant truths to kids and mostly indulge them which although condescending is also sometimes comforting.

Quote:
As for the ending, i have this little feeling that Hiro knew that was Karada & Shouko, he just didn't want to believe it.
That is my gut feeling too - if he just thought they were two strangers why didn't he ask them whether they had seen Karada? I think they confused him quite a lot.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 08:50   Link #153
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
That is my gut feeling too - if he just thought they were two strangers why didn't he ask them whether they had seen Karada? I think they confused him quite a lot.
Indeed - you also have the scene with how shocked he was to see them at the shrine, & just after the scene, Hiro is standing on the bridge, thinking about what he just seen, and trying to understand just what he seen.
Old 2006-10-16, 08:51   Link #154
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Ep 2
Mmm, slow pacing. I wonder if they'll continue the pattern of each episode = (almost) one day.

Like the rest, I was impressed that they maintained Karada's childish mind and Shouko's adult attitude, which I don't think was surprsing at all because I share both Kaoru Chujo and Vulcannis opinion.

Thanks Skane for the explanations. I was wondering the same, but now I'm convinced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quajafrie
But the show is so well made... The amazing visuals, and especially wonderful backgrounds, the fantastic music score (That's one of the best piano scores I've heard for a while), everything seems to be perfect.
I know! Especially the music. I don't think I've ever watched an anime that uses BGM which depends on a single instrument. Good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth
I'm having the same feeling especially after seeing the preview. Also, I noted that he gasped for a moment when he first met them. Maybe I'm reading too much into it...
Old 2006-10-16, 08:54   Link #155
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
I know! Especially the music. I don't think I've ever watched an anime that uses BGM which depends on a single instrument. Good job.
Heh, you need to listen to more of Shinkichi Mitsumune awesome style then. :3

Quote:
I'm having the same feeling especially after seeing the preview. Also, I noted that he gasped for a moment when he first met them. Maybe I'm reading too much into it...
Yeah, thats what i just mentioned about your post. Poor Hiro - gotta say, he's my fav' character so far.
Old 2006-10-16, 08:58   Link #156
martino
makes no files now

I just watched episode 2 and this is one amazing series. It's really interesting, both the plot and characters. It is quite slow paced, but I think that this is good. I wonder how long they will focus on how Karada and Shouko will psychologically have to come to terms with reality.

I believe as well that Hiro knew that it was them, he just didn't want to believe it. And wasn't there a very short scene where it showed Hiro holding his head after seeing both of them changed?

Though I have to say that the grown up Karada is really nice...
Old 2006-10-16, 09:06   Link #157
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Heh, you need to listen to more of Shinkichi Mitsumune awesome style then. :3

Yeah, thats what i just mentioned about your post. Poor Hiro - gotta say, he's my fav' character so far.
Oh~ I will when I get the chance. Oops I didn't see it because I left the reply window open for awhile hehe.

Hiro is fine, but I think he should cut his bangs. Not seeing his eye most of times really get on my nerves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino
Though I have to say that the grown up Karada is really nice...
Yeah~ Karada showering =
Old 2006-10-16, 09:07   Link #158
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
but I think he should cut his bangs. Not seeing his eye most of times really get on my nerves.
When seeing flashbacks of the Hiro with short hair, i believe that his long hair goes better with his relaxed personality.
Old 2006-10-16, 11:03   Link #159
NeoSam

This is the autumn 2006 issue of the seinen(young men's) manga magazine Comic Blade Masamune

Bi-monthly
Seinen manga magazine
Published by: Mag Garden
Old 2006-10-16, 13:52   Link #160
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
When Karada put the bows in her hair and Shouko said they "looked really good... in a childish way." Twas a mean comment, but I see it more as a slip in her facade than an indicator of her being a bad person.
I agree somewhat, though, I do think the "slip" was intentional. We know it was intentional when Shouko talked to him on the bridge as she blasted her accusation of if he left her because of Karada. The conversation was an indicator to why Shoukou took a cheap shot in that mean compliment to Karada, i.e. jealousy and resentment. Shoukou is a very interesting character to look out for who is more than likely to be responsible for pushing that drama button often enough.

I've yet to watch episode 2.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, fantasy, j.c. staff, romance, seinen, slice of life, supernatural