AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2014-04-16, 23:15   Link #221
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
My 40-million-dollar question to you is: FML in 30 years of toiling away or huzzah for having a job when unemployment is practically at 40%?
Aren't young Greeks leaving the country in considerable numbers looking for opportunities elsewhere? I imagine the EU's border agreements still hold and you may have leeway to look for jobs across the continent. Maybe not now, but barring Greece being thrown out of the EU or something, your future is wide open. Gain some experience under your belt working this gig and you can then try to compete with anyone as a technician. The EU is finally projecting a steady economic turnaround, though it's never going to be sizzling with developing economy growth rates.

The boys from Corinth went everywhere across the Mediterranean building colonies back in the day, no reason you can't take the same path! Look at our comrade DonQuigleone, he too is hearing the call of far-off shores.

Of course, there are life situations and not everyone can jump on a plane, or a train (yay, EU) to start a new adventure.

willx: I'm curious, are you looking for boutique type jobs or the big firms? Goldman Sachs or Hightower?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-17, 07:43   Link #222
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

@kafriel: I'd just leave Greece if I were you. You have the skills to get decent work anywhere in Europe.

Given your English proficiency, I'd say the UK is a good bet, last time I was job hunting I got a lot of hits in the UK without even trying. Given you have a job, stick with it for experience, but start planning your exit strategy. Try looking for jobs in the UK too.

Heck, with Ryanair being what it is, you might even find some companies willing to fly you in for interviews, I had this happen to me
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-17, 11:11   Link #223
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
willx: I'm curious, are you looking for boutique type jobs or the big firms? Goldman Sachs or Hightower?
I'm looking pretty broadly right now as I still have a job. That said, I've become increasingly disillusioned with my current role/position so am looking to see what's out there.

Might be rusty at this whole job search thing though as I haven't done it in over 6.5 years. Although you'd think my profile would at least be somewhat attractive..
Old 2014-04-17, 11:17   Link #224
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
I'm looking pretty broadly right now as I still have a job. That said, I've become increasingly disillusioned with my current role/position so am looking to see what's out there.

Might be rusty at this whole job search thing though as I haven't done it in over 6.5 years. Although you'd think my profile would at least be somewhat attractive..
Why don't you take a break and become a pilot, like what many bankers/analysts have done in the past 30 years since Black Monday.

The FFL is another route, but I don't think I have heard of more than one financial industry worker who actually volunteered their sociopathy for military service.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-17, 11:28   Link #225
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
@kafriel: I'd just leave Greece if I were you. You have the skills to get decent work anywhere in Europe.

Given your English proficiency, I'd say the UK is a good bet, last time I was job hunting I got a lot of hits in the UK without even trying. Given you have a job, stick with it for experience, but start planning your exit strategy. Try looking for jobs in the UK too.

Heck, with Ryanair being what it is, you might even find some companies willing to fly you in for interviews, I had this happen to me
This. Before I got my current job I was considering looking for some job offers in the UK.
Old 2014-04-17, 14:49   Link #226
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Thanks for the feedback, a colleague of mine is also just working here to pay for his master of science (through which he will ultimately secure a job in England) but it takes 2 years...and 8k. Time to start saving up!

So I wait...
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-19, 05:23   Link #227
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Thanks for the feedback, a colleague of mine is also just working here to pay for his master of science (through which he will ultimately secure a job in England) but it takes 2 years...and 8k. Time to start saving up!

So I wait...
Personally, I wouldn't wait too long. You'll probably earn much more in the UK then you would in Greece. Once you have enough to support yourself over there for a month or two, I'd make the move.

You also don't need a masters to get a job in the UK. I've only got a bachelors, and as I said earlier, was getting lots of interviews in the UK (and I only sent maybe a 10th of my applications to the UK).

Try applying for a few jobs right now, get a feel for things. I'm not sure what region you'll end up in, but it would probably be outside London, my experience is that most of the Engineering/Technical positions are in the smaller cities.
Old 2014-04-19, 17:55   Link #228
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Thanks for that, I'll look it up.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 16:23   Link #229
supermegasonic

this is more scenario case, but if your looking for a job/internship, and you do the interviews (you feel you did well, not the issue), both places are nice, but you like place A more than B. Place B offers the job/internship, Place A has yet to (it hasn't been long enough to think they rejected you).
should you just shut it and say yes right away to place B or what?
Old 2014-04-29, 17:58   Link #230
Hazou
Immortal Flames

Been out of a job for nearly half a month again. I sent application after application after application. I call up. I check in. I get nothing in return. I had been working for 6 months at Carls Jr [Hardees] and then for 3 months at Loaf 'n Jug [gas station out here in Colorad].

Then I recently in March got hired as a packer, and worked one day and got fired. Because what they failed to tell me, was that I wasn't just a packer. That they wanted me to be a driver too. And I had already given them legimate reasons why I cannot drive, yet they still hired me, told me that all I had to do was pack. [this was all for a moving company] They have Packers, Movers, and Drivers.

Now its April. I have no job. I cannot get any work.

And I do have college behind me and I have work experienced beside my three jobs.

Burn strongly and freely, my immortal flames.
Hazou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 23:12   Link #231
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermegasonic View Post
this is more scenario case, but if your looking for a job/internship, and you do the interviews (you feel you did well, not the issue), both places are nice, but you like place A more than B. Place B offers the job/internship, Place A has yet to (it hasn't been long enough to think they rejected you).
Personally, I always join the one who makes an offer sooner (interpreting it as my skills are more needed, thus there is a higher probability that they will be appreciated), as long as the contract offer satisfies my minimum requirements... But remember to formally and politely cancel all other applications, because you might reapply in a few years, and they will probably appreciate this kind of attitude... last time it took me a whole bloody weekend to do that, but however much I am annoyed by HR, I also understand that they have one of the worst job types, and don't want to turn them into bigger jerks than they already are
Old 2014-05-01, 15:39   Link #232
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
The only thing I would consider is how long you've been looking for a job, and how likely you feel you are to get a chance at a better job in the future.

For instance, if that scenario came up after 9 months being unemployed, I'd take the job immediately.

If however, you've only been looking for a week or two, either don't take the job, or try to play for a bit of time, and use that time to contact company A and accelerate their decision.

Also, even if you do take Company B's job, you can always pull out in the first week or two and take company A's job when it's offered. Company B might be a little pissed off, but what does it matter now that you have a job with A?
Old 2014-05-01, 21:40   Link #233
sikvod00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
In my experience you can usually get a programming gig fairly easily as long as you know what you're interviewing for. If you're going for a Java position it shouldn't be too hard to find someone who is looking for a junior without much experience but with a clear drive to know the language and it's quirks. Same thing for most other languages as well. Do you actually like any thing in particular? A language? A framework? Anything?

Also it helps to have some work done on your own for example purposes. You can usually get something interesting that you particularly enjoy doing running on a cheap/free host and use that as a way to stand out from the crowd.
Java, C, and C# are the languages I've known the longest. I learned C#, and by extension the .NET framework, while I had a small part-time job in college. I just learned today that programmers are in higher demand compared to IT in my area, so I may start to focus on those skills more. This piece of information came from a staff member in my IT training program. She said an employer was desperately searching for junior programmers (PHP and Ruby) even if they had zero work experience related to it. Even possessing basic book knowledge or formal education was satisfactory.

Quote:
1. Where are you looking for job postings?
2. What's your approach to applications
3. Are you getting interviews?
4. How strong is the job market where you live?
  1. indeed, careerbuilder, and a job board through my local county.
  2. I suppose I go for quantity over quality most of the time. I used to provide cover letters along with my resume when applying. But as the volumes increased, it became difficult to produce a unique one each time. I just tried change little things in my resume to make it appear as relevant to the position as possible. I also don't follow up on applications I send because I assume they are unnecessary when applying online. Maybe I'm wrong about that?
  3. I've gotten a couple sporadically, but no success in landing the job. I know for sure one of the interviews was a failure because they tested my knowledge of the tools and ideas I'd be using. I bombed because my limited SQL knowledge was so rusty I forgot basic query command. *sigh*
  4. According to studies done by the local govt, the IT market in South Florida is very strong and shows a positive forecast.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-02, 17:18   Link #234
supermegasonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
Personally, I always join the one who makes an offer sooner (interpreting it as my skills are more needed, thus there is a higher probability that they will be appreciated), as long as the contract offer satisfies my minimum requirements... But remember to formally and politely cancel all other applications, because you might reapply in a few years, and they will probably appreciate this kind of attitude... last time it took me a whole bloody weekend to do that, but however much I am annoyed by HR, I also understand that they have one of the worst job types, and don't want to turn them into bigger jerks than they already are
i'm a bit confused at why it would take you a whole weekend, when you can just email who ever gave you an offer, but I do understand what your trying to say. first come first serve, their fault for the other company for taking so damn long
Quote:
The only thing I would consider is how long you've been looking for a job, and how likely you feel you are to get a chance at a better job in the future.

For instance, if that scenario came up after 9 months being unemployed, I'd take the job immediately.

If however, you've only been looking for a week or two, either don't take the job, or try to play for a bit of time, and use that time to contact company A and accelerate their decision.

Also, even if you do take Company B's job, you can always pull out in the first week or two and take company A's job when it's offered. Company B might be a little pissed off, but what does it matter now that you have a job with A?
ah, that makes sense. i'm only worried though that backing down from company B after they went through all that interview stuff would bite me in the back in the future. you never know when you'll have to see them again, especially in the same industry. but it's definitely something I will consider now as an option
Old 2014-05-03, 03:32   Link #235
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
ah, that makes sense. i'm only worried though that backing down from company B after they went through all that interview stuff would bite me in the back in the future. you never know when you'll have to see them again, especially in the same industry. but it's definitely something I will consider now as an option
This would be a factor to consider, particularly if you don't have another job lined up.

But how likely are they to remember someone who was only there for 2 weeks?
Old 2014-05-03, 14:23   Link #236
oompa loompa

Quote:
This would be a factor to consider, particularly if you don't have another job lined up.

But how likely are they to remember someone who was only there for 2 weeks?
Depends on the company you apply to; A lot of the bigger ones keep databases of people who applied, got rejected, or accepted and didn't join apart from those they recruit.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-08, 07:40   Link #237
Sammy388

Quote:
Yeah, that makes the whole thing kinda depressing. How are you supposed to stand out when there's 100 other people...
It can be incredibly hard on a person to constantly apply for different jobs and feel rejected. Don't let it get to you. A huge portion of getting a job is confidence and convincing that person that you're the best candidate. To do that, you need to market yourself that way and believe in yourself (that you are their best option). My one friend was actually hypnotized before a job interview (strange I know) but then she went into the interview totally level-headed and confident in herself and did really well. Hope this helps
Sammy388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-09, 16:24   Link #238
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy388 View Post
It can be incredibly hard on a person to constantly apply for different jobs and feel rejected. Don't let it get to you. A huge portion of getting a job is confidence and convincing that person that you're the best candidate. To do that, you need to market yourself that way and believe in yourself (that you are their best option). My one friend was actually hypnotized before a job interview (strange I know) but then she went into the interview totally level-headed and confident in herself and did really well. Hope this helps
That post was from 3 years ago . I am now quite gainfully employed.

But it's weird to think I've been posting this long...
Old 2014-05-09, 17:07   Link #239
oompa loompa

Quote:
That post was from 3 years ago . I am now quite gainfully employed.

But it's weird to think I've been posting this long...
We're getting old, and its terrifying. I ran from responsibility and a job by doing a masters, but my time is running out fast
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-09, 23:36   Link #240
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Ex-Goldman bankers warn: get out of the industry before you’re 30, or else

Quote:
We’ve been here before. Three years ago, Frank Yeung, an ex-Goldman banker who fled the industry to launch a chain of Mexican restaurants, Poncho No. 8, issued an ominous warning to young bankers: if you stay in the investment banking industry for too long, you get trapped there.

“It became clear that deferred bonuses contributed to people’s tendency to continue in roles they didn’t find fulfilling,” Yeung wrote. “In my first year, some of my bonus was set aside as shares which I wouldn’t be able to access for another two years. And in those two years, I’d get twice that again, and again…Before you know it, you’ve amassed too much money to walk away from.”

Three years later and another banker, who’s also left Goldman Sachs, is warning much the same thing. Except he puts a date on it: if you stay in banking beyond 30, you’ll probably be stuck there forever.

“I resigned from Goldman Sachs willingly,” Arnold (not his real name) told us. “I felt the need to do something different and more meaningful. You’d be surprised how widespread that feeling is at Goldman – especially among the young guys.”

According to Arnold, the number of junior bankers resigning from Goldman in London this year has been unusually high – something which the bank has not corroborated and didn’t immediately respond to a request to comment on. “At the end of the day, people know that the good years are pretty much over,” said Arnold. “Ten years ago, you could earn an insane amount of money in banking but now the opportunity cost of getting out and doing something you feel really strongly about is just not that huge any more.”

With quantitative degrees from some of the UK’s top universities, Arnold would be a big catch for any other bank. However, he has no intention of going back into finance. Instead, he’s been volunteering in Mexico and plans to move to Silicon Valley. “I’m not married, I don’t have kids and at the end of the day I’m not addicted to any kind of expensive lifestyle. I have the freedom to make these changes.”

Like Frank Yeung, Arnold said it helped that he didn’t have any stock at Goldman to walk away from. He’d only worked at Goldman for a few years and was paid entirely in cash. That was fortunate, he said: “It becomes a lot more difficult to leave banking once you hit 30. Once you have stock and you have a family and a mortgage, it’s almost impossible to get out. I saw a lot of older people there who felt very trapped.”

Dom Jackman, founder of website EscapetheCity, which helps bankers and other corporate types leave their desk jobs for something more interesting, said around 70% of their escapees are under 30. However, it’s not so much age as procreation that restricts escape options, said Jackman. “It’s children that really stop people from doing anything extravagant” he told us. “We had one man and his wife who took their child to Nepal, but that’s the only example of a parent escaping the City that I can think of.”

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
careers, jobs