AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-01-27, 09:42   Link #201
CTU:AGENT_HOGAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Dude there's more to life than anime, most people are probably just trying to make a living. They don't have time to watch anime or they're just not materialistic of the nonessential things.

After hearing your reasons for moving to Japan, I'd also recommend you visit before moving. I just don't think you have a solid reason but that's just me. Hell if it's your dream than go for it.

Oh and for the Catholic Church, I'm gonna guess they do (just using my common sense).

If you do end up moving, good luck and may the force be with you.
What is the best place to find a good deal to fly to japan " flight / hotel / car rental " - just curious

and also what will i expect before getting there

and i know you going to say this

>learn some japanese phraise and when i get there get to know there language

right !

and also let me add something else

Japan Town / Little Tokyo - how that is compaire to japan " the same amount of stuff or just give your input "

Last edited by CTU:AGENT_HOGAN; 2007-01-27 at 10:14.
CTU:AGENT_HOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-27, 10:38   Link #202
kitto-chan
很快是工程師

I dunno where some of the info you guys are providing are sourced from. But my experience in Japan is. First, Learn the phrase "(insert destination) doku desu ka?".
Secondly, memorize the Kanji for your city you are staying at. Third, The train stops running at 11:00pm. The green line stops are 10:00pm. So if you planning on going more than 7 stop be prepared to sleep at the train stop till 5:00am.

Purchase a train pass at the window. They have 1 day pass and 1 week pass. Trust me it will save you alot of money than shelling out 200-700 yen each time.

The toliet is not what you will be used to. Remember this is Japan, public restroom toliet requires you to squat, to do a number 2. Number 1 you can still stand but your shoes may get wet.

Don't get mad at the acarda if someone challenges you. The gaming system over there are far more advance, The acarda we have in the US the 2 control are side by side, in Japan if very different. You might be challenge without ever seeing your opponents faces till you walk to the other side. (of coruse we're not childrens)

Last piece of advice. Don't walk in the park alone at night. Trust me on this. If you see a couple walking in the park, chances are eventually they will dissappear into the brush and you might interruprt their good time. (I was embrassed the first time I did that). Oh and always have at least 7000 yen with you, never know when you will need to used the taxi.
kitto-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-27, 13:39   Link #203
darkcloud

Quote:
dunno where some of the info you guys are providing are sourced from. But my experience in Japan is. First, Learn the phrase "(insert destination) doku desu ka?".
Secondly, memorize the Kanji for your city you are staying at. Third, The train stops running at 11:00pm. The green line stops are 10:00pm. So if you planning on going more than 7 stop be prepared to sleep at the train stop till 5:00am.
If you're in Tokyo you don't need to really know that phrase.... It's easy to find people who know English there.. Infact, I found someone who spoke in english in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hokkaido (Hakodate). Just go to a train station and you should be ok....

.....Which green line? You mean in Tokyo? Cross country trains? What? In any case ever train line I travelled on stopped running at 24:00.... Even if you did miss the last train you could stay in a capsule hotel.... That's what they were intended for....

[quotePurchase a train pass at the window. They have 1 day pass and 1 week pass. Trust me it will save you alot of money than shelling out 200-700 yen each time.[/quote]

Or if you are just visiting the country then get a JR Rail pass..... Well that's if you are going cross country.....

[quoteThe toliet is not what you will be used to. Remember this is Japan, public restroom toliet requires you to squat, to do a number 2. Number 1 you can still stand but your shoes may get wet.[/quote]

...........Yeah some toilets occasionally are the tradition Japanese style...... all the ones I found are modern though.. My girlfriend was telling me a lot more female toilets do have traditional style toilets though..... It isn't really a worry though. Everywhere that served food had a modern toilet and places that had traditional toilets also had a seperate place for modern ones....

Quote:
Don't get mad at the acarda if someone challenges you. The gaming system over there are far more advance, The acarda we have in the US the 2 control are side by side, in Japan if very different. You might be challenge without ever seeing your opponents faces till you walk to the other side. (of coruse we're not childrens)
That's standard everywhere isn't it? Here in England people sit directly next to you and challenge you... It's the way things are done..... We also have some old machines which are opposite each other...... Is this really not done in the US? :-/

Quote:
Last piece of advice. Don't walk in the park alone at night. Trust me on this. If you see a couple walking in the park, chances are eventually they will dissappear into the brush and you might interruprt their good time. (I was embrassed the first time I did that). Oh and always have at least 7000 yen with you, never know when you will need to used the taxi.

..........Ermmmm I never saw this once............... Also whhy would this stop you walking alone? Were there no love hotels in the area you stayed in? :-/
darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-27, 13:57   Link #204
Scifience
高校生

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitto-chan View Post
I dunno where some of the info you guys are providing are sourced from. But my experience in Japan is. First, Learn the phrase "(insert destination) doku desu ka?".
Secondly, memorize the Kanji for your city you are staying at.
This is great for a tourist. If you're living and working there, your language ability needs to be on a totally different level.

Quote:
Third, The train stops running at 11:00pm. The green line stops are 10:00pm. So if you planning on going more than 7 stop be prepared to sleep at the train stop till 5:00am.
What the hell are you talking about? There is no "green line" as far as I am aware, and there is certainly not a train line in any large city that stops running at 10PM. Most major train lines in Tokyo close around midnight: certainly not 10PM!

Quote:
Purchase a train pass at the window. They have 1 day pass and 1 week pass. Trust me it will save you alot of money than shelling out 200-700 yen each time.
Different train companies have different passes. Different cities have different passes. What trains is this advice supposed to be for? Further, most commuter passes are monthly, not weekly and certainly not daily. There are some places with tourist day passes, though, and if you are a short-term visitor you can buy a JR pass (which only works on JR trains) before you leave for Japan.

The thing that *does* make sense to do if you will be spending time in Tokyo, though, is get a Suica and PASSNET card (which will be combined into one card, PASSMO, in March). Instead of buying a ticket each time, you can just preload the card with money and use it on most of the trains and subways in Tokyo.

Quote:
The toliet is not what you will be used to. Remember this is Japan, public restroom toliet requires you to squat, to do a number 2. Number 1 you can still stand but your shoes may get wet.
I'm beginning to wonder how many years ago you were in Japan. Almost everywhere has western style toilets these days, and most of these have "washlet" features - that is, heated seat, bidet, dryer, etc - and you are unlikely to find many restrooms, even public ones, in large cities without at least one western style toilet.

It definitely pays to learn how to use the "squat toilets" - you never know when you might really need to use the restroom and find that this is the only option.

Quote:
Wow. Very useful advice: absolutely essential for anyone thinking of spending any time in Japan.

Quote:
Last piece of advice. Don't walk in the park alone at night. Trust me on this. If you see a couple walking in the park, chances are eventually they will dissappear into the brush and you might interruprt their good time. (I was embrassed the first time I did that).
There are some parks that are known for this sort of things and others that are not. I certainly wouldn't let this stop you from walking through a public place, though, since this certainly does not apply to all parks.

Quote:
Oh and always have at least 7000 yen with you, never know when you will need to used the taxi.
Japan is very safe, and as such people usually carry a lot of cash with them. This is good advice, not just because of needing to use a taxi, but because many (probably even most) shops and restaurants will not accept credit cards.
Scifience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-27, 14:36   Link #205
darkcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Nope, here in the US, the challenger stands next to you and there's no chair (or bench) for us to sit on. All participants have to stand up. I guess it's better for communication between challengers and let you see who you're up against. You could say it's a face to face competition, sometimes it gets kind of intimidating.
Yeah, in England a lot of the time you get lines of people challenging (well not a lot, just for popular/new games) and if they want to challenge they put there money down on the machine waiting for someone to lose...... If you see one person playing a two player game though you can just go over put money in and challenge...... :-/ Depending on the set up you might or might not see the person...

Hmmm scifience seems to agree with me on the things that confused me most about Kitto's post.... Did you by any chance go to a really small town Kitto? :-/ That's the only thing I can think of, but, even the small town I went to had modern toilets........

By green line I automatically thought of the yamanote line Saikyo line as both went through Ikebukuro...... I never noticed one of them closed before 12pm and that was my hub to Japan as I mainly stayed at the hotel star plaza there.... :-/
One other thing that poped into my line was that there was a green JR pass, but, that wouldn't be it. lol
darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-27, 15:55   Link #206
kitto-chan
很快是工程師

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifience View Post
What the hell are you talking about? There is no "green line" as far as I am aware, and there is certainly not a train line in any large city that stops running at 10PM. Most major train lines in Tokyo close around midnight: certainly not 10PM!
Where are you basing this off, the internet??? There are 3 lines , The Black (local), the red(intermite), and the green(Express) all operated by the JR Line. What do you mean they shut down at midnight? If so I wouldn't had to sleep at the Ebisu subway.

Quote:
Different train companies have different passes. Different cities have different passes. What trains is this advice supposed to be for? Further, most commuter passes are monthly, not weekly and certainly not daily. There are some places with tourist day passes, though, and if you are a short-term visitor you can buy a JR pass (which only works on JR trains) before you leave for Japan.
There are only 3 companies that operate the trains in Japan as far as i know it. But the commuter trains that I used and that most japanese use is controlled by JR.

Quote:
The thing that *does* make sense to do if you will be spending time in Tokyo, though, is get a Suica and PASSNET card (which will be combined into one card, PASSMO, in March). Instead of buying a ticket each time, you can just preload the card with money and use it on most of the trains and subways in Tokyo.
Are planning on staying for an extended period? If not then get 1 week pass.

Quote:
I'm beginning to wonder how many years ago you were in Japan. Almost everywhere has western style toilets these days, and most of these have "washlet" features - that is, heated seat, bidet, dryer, etc - and you are unlikely to find many restrooms, even public ones, in large cities without at least one western style toilet.
1999-2001, when was the last time you were there?

Quote:
Wow. Very useful advice: absolutely essential for anyone thinking of spending any time in Japan.
If you have childrens you will know the feeling.

Quote:
There are some parks that are known for this sort of things and others that are not. I certainly wouldn't let this stop you from walking through a public place, though, since this certainly does not apply to all parks.
you might be right. But then again I was in toyko was I stumble thru a session. The park near the castle with a 47' trench.

Quote:
Japan is very safe, and as such people usually carry a lot of cash with them. This is good advice, not just because of needing to use a taxi, but because many (probably even most) shops and restaurants will not accept credit cards.
Correct, most shops don't accept cards, except that almost always within less than 1 mile there is an ATM or a Sumitomo bank, or a HSBC. The reason I adovacte carrying that much is not for spending but as I stated after 11:00pm Say you out partying in Roppongi, andyour hotel is in say, Chiba. that's 12 stops away. Well the express line is closed and the black line will only take you 4 more stops. Then what??? you either sleep at the station or catch a cab.
kitto-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-27, 18:46   Link #207
Scifience
高校生

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitto-chan View Post
Where are you basing this off, the internet??? There are 3 lines , The Black (local), the red(intermite), and the green(Express) all operated by the JR Line. What do you mean they shut down at midnight? If so I wouldn't had to sleep at the Ebisu subway.
See this: http://www.jref.com/practical/transp...on_tokyo.shtml

Look at the pictures. I can count quite a few more than three train lines there. Also of note is the fact that there are two metro companies, JR, and seven listed private rail companies that operate trains in the Tokyo area. There are some that are not even listed there.

Quote:
There are only 3 companies that operate the trains in Japan as far as i know it. But the commuter trains that I used and that most japanese use is controlled by JR.
Again, see the page I linked to above. There are far more than three companies operating rail lines in Tokyo alone. In other areas of Japan, there are other private companies as well.

Quote:
Are planning on staying for an extended period? If not then get 1 week pass.
Yes, but the OP was mentioning *moving* to Tokyo, not going as a tourist. Even as a tourist, the pass isn't always the cheapest route, depending on how often you will be using the trains and where you will be going.

Quote:
1999-2001, when was the last time you were there?
November 2006. And I will be back in Tokyo starting this Tuesday.

Quote:
If you have childrens you will know the feeling.
Quite possible. I'm still a teenager in high school, so I wouldn't know.

Quote:
you might be right. But then again I was in toyko was I stumble thru a session. The park near the castle with a 47' trench.
I believe you. I was just pointing out that this is certainly not always going to be the case, and there is no need to stay clear of parks because of this.

Quote:
Correct, most shops don't accept cards, except that almost always within less than 1 mile there is an ATM or a Sumitomo bank, or a HSBC. The reason I adovacte carrying that much is not for spending but as I stated after 11:00pm Say you out partying in Roppongi, andyour hotel is in say, Chiba. that's 12 stops away. Well the express line is closed and the black line will only take you 4 more stops. Then what??? you either sleep at the station or catch a cab.
The only problem with the ATMs is that most of the ATMs close after regular business hours or begin charging a hefty surcharge. That is one thing that has always baffled me: in a country with so much technology, what is so hard about having a 24-hour ATM?
Scifience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-28, 14:42   Link #208
Loniat
Paranoid Android

CTU:AGENT_HOGAN, don't go to Japan, it is sinking, or so some people believe.
Loniat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-29, 01:34   Link #209
Chobits*

So whats everyones guess on how long Japan will be underwater?
Chobits* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-29, 03:46   Link #210
Ewok

Send a message via MSN to Ewok
Errgh, this thread (the last page at least) makes me queasy.

Going to Japan to work is not just a thing you do because you want to. There are conditions and requirements that you need to consider and pass before you can enter the country.

First if you want to work you need a working visa. If you don't please immigration, you can't enter the country for work. You have to have a company that is willing to hire you (that means finding an employer before you go to Japan), and generally you need to have graduated from college or university.

Once you have a company willing to hire you and you meet immigrations requirements, the paperwork is sorted, and several weeks or months later you get your visa and you can go to Japan.

When you get there hopefully your company will organize accommodation, or you have to do it yourself. For a normal apartment (not a more expensive guest house or monthly apartment) that means having somebody in Japan who will be your legal guarantor, having enough money for at least 4months rent (first month, broker fees, security deposit, and key money), and then you need to phone the utility companies and request they they turn on the gas, etc.
In Japanese of course, this being Japan and all.

Before that you will need a bank account so that you can pay for the apartment (you cannot pay cash), as well as receive you wages, and apply for things like a mobile phone. To do that you need to go to city hall and apply for an Alien Registration Card (ARC), which takes about a month. So for that first month you are a little stuck.

Then after all that everything is not-too-bad. You need to renew your "visa" before it runs out, your company will help with that.
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-29, 15:03   Link #211
Loniat
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chobits* View Post
So whats everyones guess on how long Japan will be underwater?
Japan will be underwater and will become a legend, a mystical land were wonderful animes were produce, but nobody will believe because archaeologists will just find remnants of Hentai in H.264.

Now, sorry, back to the topic please..
Loniat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 18:23   Link #212
CTU:AGENT_HOGAN

Well i got some good information people

Well you gave me the info but

the consulat of japan located in new york gave me EVEN more info but you have gave me the good amount of info

so they did explain to me about the whole processure

but let me ask you this "for the people who lived in japan"

1.what part of japan that you dont pay alot for rent in japan

2.can you ask for translated bill "Electricial,Water,Telephone,Tv,Cellphone,Auto Insurances " ?

and also with a twist " unrelated to this " i email the consulet of ireland about the same time that i email the consulet of japan about moving & working in ireland and guess what "nothing " so this is what irish people think of me and irish-american

IRELAND + Goverment = RACISM !

Last edited by CTU:AGENT_HOGAN; 2007-01-31 at 18:36.
CTU:AGENT_HOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 23:20   Link #213
Ewok

Send a message via MSN to Ewok
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU:AGENT_HOGAN View Post
1.what part of japan that you dont pay alot for rent in japan
Anywhere away from the city centers. You have to travel further to get to work (which means that it costs more), or you work for less money outside of the cities.

Quote:
2.can you ask for translated bill "Electricial,Water,Telephone,Tv,Cellphone,Auto Insurances " ?
Some you can, some you can't, some theres no point.

Water, Gas, Electric, Auto insurance, TV, telephone/internet are in Japanese, but simple to understand. They generally have "Gas Bill" written on the front and the important items (like when to pay, how much) will have an English note, with the majority of it being in Japanese.

Most cellphone companies will arrange an English bill if you want.

Remember Japanese people live in Japan and speak Japanese. English is a foreign language, and very little use to them.

Quote:
and also with a twist " unrelated to this " i email the consulet of ireland about the same time that i email the consulet of japan about moving & working in ireland and guess what "nothing " so this is what irish people think of me and irish-american

IRELAND + Goverment = RACISM !
They just sound lazy. I can take a few days to reply to emails, don't mean I'm racist or hate you
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-01, 06:11   Link #214
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Moving to Japan for 2 years...

So, I'm going to be coming to Japan for 2 years on a JSPS Postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Tokyo, Komaba (Researching string theory with the physics department).

So, for 382,000 yen a month, where should I live?

I'm a single, 20-something american male.

I was doing some internet apartment searching, and it seems like it might be worth it to pay more for a nicer place that's not too far away (yoyogi-chou or nearby).
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-01, 08:56   Link #215
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
So, I'm going to be coming to Japan for 2 years on a JSPS Postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Tokyo, Komaba (Researching string theory with the physics department).

So, for 382,000 yen a month, where should I live?

I'm a single, 20-something american male.

I was doing some internet apartment searching, and it seems like it might be worth it to pay more for a nicer place that's not too far away (yoyogi-chou or nearby).
You'll probably want to find a liaison to help you make a selection. I'm from a small town and used to checking for rental property myself just by calling every place around, but in big cities it does make sense to find a "real estate agent" (kind of a funny term to use when talking about rental property). That goes doubly so when you're talking about entering a location where the rules are so very, very different, and a gaijin can get the short end of the stick very easily, it makes sense to have some one to help from the beginning to the end of the process. Perhaps the university can suggest a person or agency familiar with that area?

It can get hard for reasons you may not expect. There's the deposit, plus up-front rent, plus key money, plus whoknowswhat, plus... etc. One apartment might be more spacious for the same price, but has practically zero insulation. Another deal might seem to be good to be true, but is a genuinely good deal because it's numbered wrong (superstition is powerful in some places). One place might not want to rent to gaijin, another might rent to them but expect them to park somewhere else, and another might want to charge more... And these are just a few light-hearted examples pulled from memory.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-01, 09:13   Link #216
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ Chobits
Sinking?! Uhh, land masses cannot sink.
Have you seen one sink before

@ Quarkboy
Weren't you born on 25th of December 1979, so "something" = 7

@ Kyuusai
And what are the magical unlucky lucky numers in Japan.
Old 2007-02-01, 09:13   Link #217
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
It can get hard for reasons you may not expect. There's the deposit, plus up-front rent, plus key money, plus whoknowswhat, plus... etc. One apartment might be more spacious for the same price, but has practically zero insulation. Another deal might seem to be good to be true, but is a genuinely good deal because it's numbered wrong (superstition is powerful in some places). One place might not want to rent to gaijin, another might rent to them but expect them to park somewhere else, and another might want to charge more... And these are just a few light-hearted examples pulled from memory.
I'm not particularly ignorant of the intricacies of the Japanese rental system (and I've had about 4.5 years of japanese), so I'm well aware of key-money (rei-kin), pre-rent, real estate agent fees, etc... And I'm pretty sure the university will act as my guarrentor.
One question I have: should I live at aome short-term (week to week) gaijin house while I search for a more permanent apartment, or maybe just rough it at 24 hour internet cafe's till I get a place? I wonder how long it'd really take to find an apartment in tokyo... I'd hope not more than a few weeks.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-01, 10:56   Link #218
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
I'm not particularly ignorant of the intricacies of the Japanese rental system (and I've had about 4.5 years of japanese), so I'm well aware of key-money (rei-kin), pre-rent, real estate agent fees, etc... And I'm pretty sure the university will act as my guarrentor.
One question I have: should I live at aome short-term (week to week) gaijin house while I search for a more permanent apartment, or maybe just rough it at 24 hour internet cafe's till I get a place? I wonder how long it'd really take to find an apartment in tokyo... I'd hope not more than a few weeks.
It sounds like you have the information you need (sorry for assuming you didn't, but "better safe than sorry", andI've been conditioned by the rest of the thread...).

Perhaps your college life has prepared you for the stress of uncertain living arrangements (especially if you've been an office-dwelling grad student), and you can get by with some shut-eye in 24 hour establishments, but with everything else you'll have to do, it could be rough. Personally, I'd be concerned about the stress and random circumstances (should clothes go un-ironed, etc) creating a bad impression at your new place of employment.

If it were me, personally, I'd stay at the gaijin house before I'd try the cafe-hopping route, unless I had prior experience in Japan that would assure me I'd have no problems doing it (and could fit all my luggage into one inconspicuous backpack!). But before I'd do THAT, I'd try to arrange housing prior to arriving in Japan at all.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-01, 13:07   Link #219
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You might also check out the "host family" arrangements to see if they offer any short term arrangements... those are good for socialization purposes (initiating social networks) if naught else - while you look.

I'd be surprised if the university doesn't have the sort of facilities that you couldn't just bum on campus (shower at the gym or a bath house, nap out in a library or office, communicate via cafe).

Personally, I'd work extra hard to avoid the gaijin house ... most people I know of weren't fond of the experience if only because it has an isolating effect (never mind the potentially huge variation in housemate quality ).
Old 2007-02-01, 16:45   Link #220
Gaiarth

I can't vouch for them personally, never having used them, but people have told me that Sakura House are an ok option for a month or two while sorting out longer term accomodation.
Gaiarth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
japan, travel