AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Your Favorite Gundam Series is?
Mobile Suit Gundam 31 5.74%
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 66 12.22%
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ 7 1.30%
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam 11 2.04%
Mobile Fighter G Gundam 15 2.78%
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing 69 12.78%
Mobile Suit Gundam X 22 4.07%
'∀' Turn A Gundam 57 10.56%
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED 152 28.15%
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny 38 7.04%
Other (Explain) 72 13.33%
Voters: 540. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-11-01, 08:00   Link #201
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Seed is obsolete and got a negative fame. Why bother when 00 offers the same and more?
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 08:01   Link #202
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Seed is obsolete and got a negative fame. Why bother when 00 offers the same and more?
Um, maybe because Gundam 00 is good?

Last edited by GN0010 Nosferatu; 2009-11-01 at 08:13.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 08:01   Link #203
Hellbore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
I don't see the Seed movie ever being made, 00 and Unicorn seem to be the dominant series for now.
Meh, SEED is still a cash cow series. If Fukuda and Morasawa ever get over whatever difficulties they're having, it will still probably be released.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
I think someone needs to check their facts. SEED Destiny, and by extension SEED is the most popular Gundam series, ever. It's also the longest running, if you take SEED and Destiny as one series.

On Compromise: Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
Hellbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 09:41   Link #204
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbore View Post
I think someone needs to check their facts. SEED Destiny, and by extension SEED is the most popular Gundam series, ever. It's also the longest running, if you take SEED and Destiny as one series.
That's not true at all... The original MSG has been and will always been the most popular Gundam series ever, though depending on how you measure popularity, either Seed or Seed Destiny might be second or third or fourth. And I'm not sure who would consider Seed and Destiny one series... If they do that they might as well do the same for MSG/Zeta/ZZ, which would be far longer.

00 is definitely not as popular as Seed by most measures though. If they announce a Seed movie to be released the same day as the 00 one, the Seed movie would probably win out in terms of ticket sales.
Old 2009-11-01, 11:44   Link #205
Rawinder

Quote:
I think you need to check your facts.

In terms of merchandise, 0079 is the most popular series (see: the endless amount of models/manga/games/spin-offs set during the One Year War). And in terms of tv ratings, Zeta Gundam is the most popular.
Rawinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 12:24   Link #206
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawinder View Post
In terms of merchandise, 0079 is the most popular series (see: the endless amount of models/manga/games/spin-offs set during the One Year War). And in terms of tv ratings, Zeta Gundam is the most popular.
Actually, MSG reruns had the best TV ratings... But for the initial run you are correct (for the Kanto area only, not sure about the others).
Old 2009-11-06, 20:50   Link #207
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Quote:
Not really, the original MSG is the most popular and longest running if you consider all the series set within UC...
Old 2009-11-09, 13:32   Link #208
GundamFan

The only 2 series that are defintive milestones in the franchise are the orginal MSG and GW MSG for launching the behemoth franchise that Gundam has become and Gundam Wing for rise in popularity of anime in U.S. to it's present state.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 16:48   Link #209
Hellbore

For all those who replied to me, I meant during it's original run, in which MSG was cancelled. Also, I don't consider the UC saga a single series as it deals with separate issues with new characters, unlike SEED

On Compromise: Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
Old 2009-11-09, 18:15   Link #210
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
For all those who replied to me, I meant during it's original run, in which MSG was cancelled. Also, I don't consider the UC saga a single series as it deals with separate issues with new characters, unlike SEED
Well, MSG, Zeta, ZZ and CCA (and Unicorn) are pretty much related plot and character wise (with Brigth Noa as common denominator).
I'd say they are as much related to each other as were Seed and Destiny (depending on how you interpret the spotlight hijack).

MSG to Zeta: characters (Amuro, Char, Noa & WB family), reverse plot, direct MS lineage, NT conflict. It's true that MSG became widely popular after it's initial airing, but IIRC Zeta was hugely popular from the beginning.

Zeta to ZZ: characters (Haman, Mineva, Noa, etc...), continuity plot, same MS, NT conflict.

MSG to CCA: characters (Amuro, Char, Noa & WB family), continuity plot, direct MS lineage, NT conflict.

to Unicorn: characters (Mineva, Noa), continuity plot, direct MS lineage, NT conflict.

That makes around 150 TV episodes, a movie and a movie remake (Zeta: a new translation), and 6 upcoming OA.
Old 2009-11-09, 21:20   Link #211
Hellbore

Even with all that, I see them as seperate series in a single continuity. If Amuro was the hero of Zeta then I might say yes. SEED to SEED Destiny are a proper sequel series, in my mind.

Anyway, I think this should be dropped as it's subjective and off-topic

Old 2009-11-09, 22:39   Link #212
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Even with all that, I see them as seperate series in a single continuity. If Amuro was the hero of Zeta then I might say yes. SEED to SEED Destiny are a proper sequel series, in my mind.
So the only reason why you think Destiny is part of Seed is because Kira was the hero for the last ten episodes?

Not really. Destiny deals with totally different themes (and on the most part, character) from Seed, and there are enough differences for them to be a separate series. Heck, its not even subjective, because Sunrise considers them separate shows.

A "sequel series" would be something like Endless Waltz, or Season 2 of 00.
Old 2009-11-09, 23:12   Link #213
Hellbore

Like I said, completely subjective. And to me, Gundam 00 was one single series with two season, not two series.

Old 2009-11-10, 04:52   Link #214
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Like I said, completely subjective.
I don't really see how it is, i mean Zeta is as much of a sequel to the original like Destiny is to the first SEED.
Old 2009-11-13, 12:33   Link #215
wing 00

i think gundam wing is the best siries of gundam ever made
Old 2009-11-14, 07:07   Link #216
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

I'm not, and that's coming from a Gundam Wing fan, myself.
Old 2009-11-14, 11:37   Link #217
fizzmaister
The Tall One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
I'm not, and that's coming from a Gundam Wing fan, myself.
Woah woah woah. Slow down, he's talking about the best siries, not the best series. Until we find out what a siries is, we should use caution when approaching the subject.

~Grammar Nazi signing out.
Old 2009-11-15, 19:52   Link #218
ISighZ
Oo Hi

Send a message via AIM to ISighZ
I Lol @ the above comment..
Good laugh..
Anyway I prefer Seed. Despite the many flaws... I like the reunion between Kira and Athrun, touching story.
B: You don't understand Life.
ISighZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 07:10   Link #219
arabian princess
miss"lujain"

hey all ^^

i'm just new here

anyways i'm a BIG FAN of GUNDAM especially gundam wing *_^

like it B caouse of the beautiful characters & my fav is duo ^0^

thanx....
arabian princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 00:25   Link #220
avmoghe

Been away from anime for a while. Finally watched both seasons of 00 Gundam. Guess I'll update my ranking from two/three years ago.

00 Gundam - the first season had me believing that it was going to finally unseat Gundam Seed as my favorite gundam (assuming the action kicked up a notch in the final 5-10 episodes of a 50 episode Gundam show - like it always seems to do). Season 1 ended very strongly, and S1 episode 23 was (and is) one of the best Gundam episodes I've ever seen.

Unfortunately, the trouble started during middle-late S2. This whole innovade/innovator business was quite weak. The villians seemed to be just lingering around doing nothing - almost as if they knew the battles weren't going to be "for real" until the final episodes (we all know nobody was really going to be offed until the closing few episodes). The asian girl "agent" had some sort of master plan that I still don't quite get .

Then of course, we are back to Tomino-like gundams - where science fiction is abandoned and we jump into fantasy. A gundam (or any piece of equipment) should NEVER EVER EVER do anything it was not designed to do - and this show follows UC gundams shows in breaking this rule of sci-fi egregiously. We get a newtype-like miracle/lights/voices going off in random people's heads.. blah blah.

Anyways, I won't complain much more here. Suffice it to say though - that that battles and animation was some of the best I've ever seen - hell lots of times, I thought the battles were going almost too fast - I could barely keep up with what was going on. Lockon Stratos, and Graham Aker, Ali Al Sarches were awesome pilots/characters.

Overall, it goes into the giant bucket of series I consider mediocre... quite disappointing considering the promise at the beginning.

Copied ranking follows (with 00 added) -

--------------------------------------------------
1.) Gundam Seed - After having seen almost every Gundam show, this one remains my clear favorite. Despite its obvious flaws, I still maintain that nothing else in Gundam compares to the last third of the series. This is among my all-time favorite series along with Juuni Kokki, Crest/Banner of the Stars, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

2.) MSG Movies - The movies show substantial improvement (in content, as well as animation) over what I've seen of the TV series. The compression of over 40 episodes into three movies rarely allows for a dull moment. This is an excellent trilogy.

---- All of the series ranked below are ones which I thought were simply mediocre.
3.) Victory Gundam
4.) 0083
5.) Zeta Gundam
6.) Gundam 00
7.) 0080
8.) Char's Counterattack
9.) ZZ Gundam
10.) Gundam X
11.) Gundam Seed Destiny
12.) 08th MS Team
13.) Gundam Wing - Endless Waltz
----
----The only Gundam entry that I classify as 'bad'
14.) Gundam Wing
----The only Gundam entry that I classify as 'atrocious'
15.) Turn A Gundam

--------------------------------------------------

Note: I've seen 6 episodes of G Gundam, and don't think I can bear to watch anymore.
avmoghe is offline   Reply With Quote