AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-10-01, 16:29   Link #461
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I'd enjoy the series more if it wasn't 1% zombie, 99% bickering and soap opera bitchings of unlikable characters endlessly repeating the exact same bitching for an entire season.
Part of the reason the first half of season 2 was so meandering was the writers way of showing how the rescue mission of the little lost girl was weighing on the minds of everyone, while also reflecting the limbo of their situation. While I definitely agree that the first half of the season carried on too far with this conceit, quickly becoming boring instead of tense (though there were a few moments every episodes well worth the longer moments of boredom), I do like the basic idea of the limbo quality of the early episodes. Thankfully, the second half of the season picked up quite a bit (though the character development was still spotty at times).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
I mean katanas? All they need now is Bruce Campbell wielding a chain saw, shotgun and an old car to show up!
This always makes me a little confused. Why would anyone be willing to suspend their disbelief for a zombie apocalypse, but the idea of a katana as a weapon (or other off-brand weaponry that requires an equal degree of maintenance as a gun) during the zombie apolaypse is anathema?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
^ funny but 0 zombies till the end.
I have to ask: do you dislike Romero's original series for similar reasons? Or really, most zombie films? It's very rare to see a "good" zombie film that doesn't feature zombies sparingly.

Truthfully, I have little interest in the zombies themselves during a zombie apocalypse (they are not real characters, or at least they show little actual development). Rather, I am more interested in how people survive and what their life is like during a zombie apocalypse (and let's face it, running and hiding from zombies is the only way to survive a zombie apocalypse).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 22:25   Link #462
Lost Cause

^Partially because the katana has a limited range, dulls quite easily, and can be stuck in bone. Secondly a weapon, any weapon is only as good as its operator! And I rather doubt the person in question was trained in any sort of martial art, more likely hack and slash with the three foot razor blade.
We covered swords in the old Zombie thread if you remember? And I preferred the Roman Gladius as its a stouter blade destined for both hack and slash as well as stabbing. But in the real world a firearm is preferable as distance is your friend!
As for the show, yeah they're really reaching with the sword thing, but I'll watch the premier nonetheless.
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 23:21   Link #463
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

My ideal anti-zombie melee weapon against the Walking Dead type of zombie is the double-sided iron mace staff.
long staff with rectangular steel mace on each end.

Makes it a lot easier to consecutively crush zombie skulls quickly and efficiently.
And no need to worry about dull blades!

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Truthfully, I have little interest in the zombies themselves during a zombie apocalypse (they are not real characters, or at least they show little actual development). Rather, I am more interested in how people survive and what their life is like during a zombie apocalypse (and let's face it, running and hiding from zombies is the only way to survive a zombie apocalypse).
They don't have to show zombies non-stop, but zombies must be the primary threat the protagonist must face against, not stupid social drama of "I don't like you so I'll kill you" stupidity. Can you imagine how terrible Highschool of the Dead anime would have been if 90%+ of the screen time was Rei bitching about everything? Because you know, that's exactly what this show had turned into. LOL.

Melodrama social conflicts has it place, but it should take a backseat to actually facing the survival issue, not be the prominent force of the plot.
Whoever wrote the first half of the 2nd season was a complete idiot who didn't have a CLUE on priority.
Old 2012-10-02, 00:17   Link #464
james0246

Quote:
^Partially because the katana has a limited range, dulls quite easily, and can be stuck in bone. Secondly a weapon, any weapon is only as good as its operator! And I rather doubt the person in question was trained in any sort of martial art, more likely hack and slash with the three foot razor blade.
We covered swords in the old Zombie thread if you remember? And I preferred the Roman Gladius as its a stouter blade destined for both hack and slash as well as stabbing. But in the real world a firearm is preferable as distance is your friend!
As for the show, yeah they're really reaching with the sword thing, but I'll watch the premier nonetheless.
Let me repeat this, Walking Dead is about a Zombie Apocalypse. An apocalypse caused by Zombies. If you are willing to suspend your disbelief so far as to accept the fact that the dead can come back to life (and decide human flesh is good eats), then disputing the use of a sword (any type) in such a fictional landscape seems downright silly.

Additionally, to put it in perspective, crazy blond woman (Lauren Holden) spent all of two episodes learning how to shoot a variety of firearms. After those two episodes, she could hit a moving target with a chance to kill at a 100 yards (thereabouts). That is impossible in the real world. Hell, being able to use any firearm in a reasonable fashion is almost impossible after only a few days. Yet, the entire series, nay the entire Zombie Apocalypse mythos, is built around the idea that anyone can pick up any gun at any time and start getting clean head shoots (with any type of gun) within days if not hours.

If you, are anyone, is willing to suspend their disbelief so far as to allow these very unrealistic ideas, then why not swords? What's the big deal? They may not work a certain way in real life, but this is clearly not real life (though it is nowhere near as bad as the chainsaw arm from Evil Dead that you referenced earlier).

That being said, and to repeat what I wrote in the apocalypse thread, the main weapon everyone needs in a zombie apocalypse is a big stick (metal or otherwise). Your main defense and offense is always to run away, and frankly guns provide something of a very false sense of security (guns are most useful on humans because they can cause humans to retreat or surrender; since Zombies never retreat, guns are essentially useless beyond the dozen or so zombies that you can kill before you run out of bullets and have to run or die), but a big stick is a constant companion that can always help you, and since your main weapon is the big stick you will always try to steer clear of entering any situation where a big stick is useless.

Big Stick for President!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Melodrama social conflicts has it place, but it should take a backseat to actually facing the survival issue, not be the prominent force of the plot.
Whoever wrote the first half of the 2nd season was a complete idiot who didn't have a CLUE on priority.
I never disputed this (though, I do think part of the survival process is finding ways to work with others). My problem wasn't so much the pacing (which was bad), but rather the character regression from episode to episode. Characters would learn some valuable lesson in one episode, only to regress the next episode, relearn the same lesson, then regress again until they either die, or whatever lesson they were supposed to learn becomes irrelevant. Not only was this an uninteresting and boring process, it was downright idiotic at times, and thoroughly broke any of the shows tension and drama (which, when done right, was quite powerful).
Old 2012-10-02, 00:24   Link #465
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

There's defenitely that as well.

When they came back from short hiatus in the second half of the second season, and immediately showed improvement by Rick using his blood to draw a zombie to the fence and dispatch with ease with the knife, I shouted "See, THIS is what I was looking for in this series. Innovative way to solve critical problems. Not 'MEH I DISLIKE YOU' 'I DISLIKE YOU MOAR' for six straight hours."

It's like, the whole "figuring out solutions to survive" doesn't have any impact other than oooh ahhh of the moment, and zero lasting effect.

Like you said, it's stupid.
Old 2012-10-02, 05:48   Link #466
Lost Cause

I'm not disputing the use of any sword, just pointing out the attempt by the producer to draw more of an audience by having a twin katana wielding female now in the show.
I'm going to table the discussion of guns and false security for another thread! As well as the "Big Stick" theory also.
I was only pointing out the limitations of the katana (or any other sword for that matter) in this hypothetical situation, and listing my preferences!
Remember we're allowed our opinion, and this is mine, and that's all it is.
But the show has gotten rather silly though.

Last edited by Lost Cause; 2012-10-02 at 19:05. Reason: 6am!@~@!
Old 2012-10-02, 07:32   Link #467
james0246

Quote:
I'm not disputing the use of any sword, just pointing out the attempt by the producer to draw more of an audience by having a twin katana wielding female now in the show.
To be fair, the character (and katana) is directly from the comics.
Old 2012-10-02, 19:03   Link #468
Lost Cause

Never read the comic as I didn't want to spoil the show for me. If that's the case though we'll see how far it goes on the show.
Old 2012-10-15, 01:43   Link #469
Kyouka
Is Here

once Daryl dies or if it happens dropping this series tehe
Kyouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 04:28   Link #470
PzIVf3

I watch it. 10/10. More action than ever.

Last edited by PzIVf3; 2012-10-15 at 04:46.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 09:05   Link #471
james0246

Yeah, it was clear the producers/writers decided to forgo the melodrama of last season for a complete bloodbath. Lots of fun.

Pacing was good (a nice mixture of the slow and fast and the tense and frantic with the peaceful), acting on par with the rest of the series (the new dynamic between Rick and his wife is interesting, and it is really cute seeing their son try and impress the only girl close to his age range), and the gore was certainly plentiful. I also like the time skip; the medias res nature of the story helps to add to the drama. Can't wait for next week 84/100.
Old 2012-10-15, 17:20   Link #472
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i like how they're trying to rewrite carl. still a little shit though.. haha. Lori took roughly 30 seconds and no new scenes to remind me how annoying she really is.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 18:36   Link #473
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
I watch it. 10/10. More action than ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Yeah, it was clear the producers/writers decided to forgo the melodrama of last season for a complete bloodbath. Lots of fun.

Pacing was good (a nice mixture of the slow and fast and the tense and frantic with the peaceful), acting on par with the rest of the series (the new dynamic between Rick and his wife is interesting, and it is really cute seeing their son try and impress the only girl close to his age range), and the gore was certainly plentiful. I also like the time skip; the medias res nature of the story helps to add to the drama. Can't wait for next week 84/100.
Damn! And I missed it! I read on another forum that they got a weapons upgrade as well?
Old 2012-10-15, 20:29   Link #474
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
i like how they're trying to rewrite carl. still a little shit though.. haha. Lori took roughly 30 seconds and no new scenes to remind me how annoying she really is.
Rewriting? I thought he simply manned up after dale's death and shane's BS, I think he's a little shit no more.
Old 2012-10-16, 23:53   Link #475
PzIVf3

Is this a correct way of mounting the scope?
Old 2012-10-17, 00:56   Link #476
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
Is this a correct way of mounting the scope?[/img]
Yup, looks like a standard scope on top of riser mount setup.

How's the series btw? I kinda dropped it after the second season just dragged on and went nowhere.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 05:07   Link #477
PzIVf3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Yup, looks like a standard scope on top of riser mount setup.

How's the series btw? I kinda dropped it after the second season just dragged on and went nowhere.

The prison is Far glorious hell than the long boring farm house. There are on a offensive to capture the whole prison inch by inch. Well its just episode 1.
Old 2012-10-17, 16:29   Link #478
Loaded Soda
"...goddamnit, Eureka."

I am super pumped for new Walking Dead episodes. I've been following this show since day one and it just keeps getting better. I hope there is more zombie action this season than there was last season though.

My friends all read the comics and are telling me tidbits of spoilers about the upcoming season. It's gonna kick some serious ass.
Loaded Soda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 16:33   Link #479
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Rewriting? I thought he simply manned up after dale's death and shane's BS, I think he's a little shit no more.
puberty never hits that fast

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 08:24   Link #480
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Whoa. Everyone became a badass since the last season. Can't wait for the next episode and see this "Governor".

Tags
zombie apocalypse, zombies