Old 2014-01-08, 07:38   Link #1
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

All You Need Is Kill

SUMMARY:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The story is told from the perspective of Keiji Kiriya, a new recruit in the United Defense Force which fights against the mysterious 'Mimics' which have laid siege to Earth. Keiji is killed on his first sortie, but through some inexplicable phenomenon wakes up having returned to the day before the battle. This retroversal continues and he now finds himself caught in a time loop as his death and resurrection repeats time and time again. Keiji's skill as a soldier grows as he passes through each time loop in a desperate attempt to change his fate.
Demographics:
  • Action
  • Drama
  • Mature
  • Mystery
  • Science-Fiction
  • Seinen
  • Tragedy

Magazine: Shuukan Young Jump

Publisher: Shueisha

So...
Yep, it's a manga adaptation of the novel of the same name by Sakurazaka Hiroshi, which, incidentally, will soon have a Hollywood blockbuster adaptation called Edge of Tomorrow, starring Tom Cruise as the lead.

Obata is of course known for Death Note and Bakuman, while Takeuchi Ryosuke worked on St&rs, a now-finished sci-fi manga series.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2014-01-17 at 21:14.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 08:14   Link #2
Ougon
愛すべからざる光

This is really my type, to boot, if it's getting a hollywood adaption then it's probably something worth checking out.

Any reviews or sorts?
Old 2014-01-08, 08:23   Link #3
BW95
Banned

It's kinda weird seeing an LN get an English movie adaptation.
BW95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 08:26   Link #4
Ougon
愛すべからざる光

Yeah, kinda feels like they're invading Otaku-culture. A depressing thought for those who prefer Otaku stuff over comics and what not of the west.
Old 2014-01-08, 08:32   Link #5
BW95
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ougon no Kemono View Post
Yeah, kinda feels like they're invading Otaku-culture. A depressing thought for those who prefer Otaku stuff over comics and what not of the west.
Pff. Dude you got it backwards. This is an example of otaku-culture integrating itself into Western culture. Japan makes live-action films and drama adaptation of popular otaku-media, too. Why, just last month I saw a poster on my college campus announcing that Wolf's Children and live-action Rurouni Kenshin would be played in the college theater. When anime invades a foreign culture, there are bound to be some changes like languages and cultural references so this is to be expected.
Old 2014-01-08, 08:34   Link #6
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

You said something about light novels being Western movie-fied? Also carrying a very familiar name?
Old 2014-01-08, 08:38   Link #7
Ougon
愛すべからざる光

I am fine with it being other way around, but not with Otaku-culture adapting from western one.

Anyway, the looping thing really gets me on this one.
Old 2014-01-08, 08:43   Link #8
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, think of it as Groundhog Day meets Starship Troopers. The story does incorporate core themes/ideas from both franchises.
Old 2014-01-08, 08:55   Link #9
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Wait, this is being done by the guy who did Death Note? Baller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
The exoskeleton is still quite bulky, as those two pages suggest:
Spoiler for click on the thumbnails to enlarge:

But the exos still carry normal weapons like Type 88-like LMGs and such... Though the cover does show that oversized weapons like that big-ass axe are also available for...more specialized? units.

Oh, and Rita has already made her appearance in the first chapter.
Spoiler:

For safety's sake, I suggest we keep future posts about the manga adaptation to the thread I've just created in the manga board.
Hmmm, those suits are pretty big actually. Might at least make those rifles they're carrying in the antimaterial range.

And Rita. The most improbable "most elite soldier on the planet" when contrasted to those Navy SEALS types she hangs around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW95 View Post
When anime invades a foreign culture, there are bound to be some changes like languages and cultural references so this is to be expected.
Well, and a story about a young soldier in a future war being made to star Tom Cruise
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 09:16   Link #10
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Hmmm, those suits are pretty big actually. Might at least make those rifles they're carrying in the antimaterial range.
So far they've only been portrayed carrying normal-sized assault rifles and LMGs like M240Bs/Type-88s.
Spoiler for click on thumbnail to enlarge:

The exoskeletons however have some sort of cylinder on their back, on the left side. I don't know whether it's some sort of flip-up cannon or a rocket jump propulsor (which would be weird, as it's mounted off-center). It wasn't used in the first chapter, since the soldiers pretty much got splattered by the spike-spitting aliens and achieved very little.
Quote:
Well, and a story about a young soldier in a future war being made to star Tom Cruise
I don't know if TC likes Japanese light novels, but he's also attached to the Yukikaze live-action movie project... I don't mind, I was getting tired of the Marvel/DC superheroes anyway... ;D
Old 2014-01-08, 09:22   Link #11
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
So far they've only been portrayed carrying normal-sized assault rifles and LMGs like M240Bs/Type-88s.
Spoiler for click on thumbnail to enlarge:
Well that depends on just how bulky the actual armor suits are compared to normal humans. If the suits actually are pretty big, *normal* sized for one of the suits could be stupidly cumbersome next to a human.
Quote:
The exoskeletons however have some sort of cylinder on their back, on the left side. I don't know whether it's some sort of flip-up cannon or a rocket jump propulsor (which would be weird, as it's mounted off-center). It wasn't used in the first chapter, since the soldiers pretty much got splattered by the spike-spitting aliens and achieved very little.
If I remember correctly from the light novel that I read a few years ago, it's a disposable one shot rocket/missile.

Those scans of the armor in the suit up bay made them seem pretty big.
Quote:
The exoskeleton is still quite bulky, as those two pages suggest:
Spoiler for click on the thumbnails to enlarge:
Old 2014-01-08, 11:02   Link #12
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ougon no Kemono View Post
Look at it this way -- once the film comes out and Viz puts out a paperback edition with Tom Cruise's face on the cover, this will become the first light novel to be sold in grocery stores and Wal-Marts, giving them tons of money to license more books.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 11:13   Link #13
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Wait, this is being done by the guy who did Death Note? Baller.
If you are talking about the artist, yes. If you are talking about the story, no.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 20:14   Link #14
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
If you are talking about the artist, yes. If you are talking about the story, no.
I already read the novel, so I'm kinda aware that he didn't do the story.
Old 2014-01-08, 23:30   Link #15
Angrypokstick
So....its you.....

Quote:
if i remember from the novels those are pile drivers. similar in concept to the weapon on Alteisen in SrwOG. it serves as a last ditch melee weapon but it carries limited ammo since no soldier is expected to last that long in melee with mimics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Look at it this way -- once the film comes out and Viz puts out a paperback edition with Tom Cruise's face on the cover, this will become the first light novel to be sold in grocery stores and Wal-Marts, giving them tons of money to license more books.

except the tom cruise version will be very different plot wise from the Japanese original for obvious reasons.
Angrypokstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 23:34   Link #16
BW95
Banned

Really? Plot seems roughly the same to me. Soldier stuck in a loop dying against aliens. Meets the woman stuck in the same situation and tries to get through it.
Old 2014-01-09, 00:47   Link #17
Esclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW95 View Post
Really? Plot seems roughly the same to me. Soldier stuck in a loop dying against aliens. Meets the woman stuck in the same situation and tries to get through it.
In the LN the MC is a high schooler (or middle schooler). The kind of interactions with the female lead will probably be quite different from the Tom Cruise version.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-09, 02:14   Link #18
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypokstick View Post
except the tom cruise version will be very different plot wise from the Japanese original for obvious reasons.
The movie may be different, but the book's going to be the same one Viz has been selling for the last three years with a new cover to tie in with the film. And it'll probably see as many copies as every other light novel they've ever published.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-09, 09:53   Link #19
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

You combine AYNIK with Gun Parade March and you get MuvLuv Alternative.

The influence this novel had on MLA is undeniable, I think.
Old 2014-01-18, 00:18   Link #20
u43368
Disabled By Request

Judging from the pace of chapter one, I don't think this will go on for very long if it follows the novel.
u43368 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction